• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Any 2022 Updates from the Coastal and Spiritual Routes?

deidrecombs

We are heading back to the Coastal and Spiritual Routes this March and wonder if anyone has any 2022 updates. Is the ferry from Caminha running? Any new news on the boat to Padron? Any updates to share? We will need bag transport for some of our party and would love recommendations on who might still be providing this service. Thank you so much fellow peregrinos.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
We are heading back to the Coastal and Spiritual Routes this March and wonder if anyone has any 2022 updates. Is the ferry from Caminha running? Any new news on the boat to Padron? Any updates to share? We will need bag transport for some of our party and would love recommendations on who might still be providing this service. Thank you so much fellow peregrinos.
The ferry temporarely is out of service between Caminha and A Guarda

but no worry , entering Caminha go the the restaurant at the camping where they know fishermen who set you over.
we did it before. Costed 5 € per person

alternative is walk to Vila Nova de Cerveira, 15 kms , cross the international bridge into Spain and walk back in the direction you came from at the other side of the river to A Guarda . Nice walk along the river but I prefer the fisherman’s boat better. Costs 5 minutes to cross the river

The ferry temporarely is out of service between Caminha and A Guarda

but no worry , entering Caminha go the the restaurant at the camping where they know fishermen who set you over.

alternative is walk to Vila Nova de Cerveira, 15 kms , cross the international bridge into Spain and walk back in the direction you came from at the other side of the river to A Guarda . Nice walk along the river but I prefer the fisherman’s boat better. Costs 5 minutes to cross the river
Thank you so much for this update!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
We will head out of Porto on 16th March. Currently in the throes of booking hotels etc. Re: baggage transfer - i have a quote from Tuitrans and a slightly better one from caminosantiago. (Pilbeo do not start to operate until April and neither does the Spanish postal Correo system). Not certain which one i will go with yet...

We will head out of Porto on 16th March. Currently in the throes of booking hotels etc. Re: baggage transfer - i have a quote from Tuitrans and a slightly better one from caminosantiago. (Pilbeo do not start to operate until April and neither does the Spanish postal Correo system). Not certain which one i will go with yet...

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, great plans. I did this combo end of october '21. Best app I used was Camino Ninja for hostels and hotels.

For the boat, as said before, it was very easy. I just rocked up to the campsite and within 5 minutes had found a guy who ferried me over for 5 euros. Easy as pie.

The boat for Vilanova to Pontecesures on the Espiritual was more complicated. They wait to flll up the boat and on this particular day there was no one else to go, so I could either pay for the whole boat or walk. I walked but it was not the most interesting part of the Espiritual.

Bon camino!

That's interesting. When I caught the early morning boat in Vilanova at the end of October 21, it was packed with pilgrims! Perhaps there is more than one boat? I booked and paid in advance at https://www.labarcadelperegrino.com and it was very easy and efficient.
I know, I tried them all, but was apparently the only person there that day (early November). Paying for 8 when it was just me was not within my budget. It’ll stay on the to do list!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What wonderful updates, thank you everyone. I am learning that the Coastal Route baggage transport seems to fully start for most companies after the 15th or 22nd of March. Will let you know who we work with and will use all your boating tips. We are thankfully a family of 4, so hoping that will help with finding boats.

If you're interested, I used Camino Facil for luggage transfer on the Portugues last October. I don't know how they compare on pricing but the service was excellent.
We also used Camino Facil last fall on the French route and were very pleased with the service.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The boat for Vilanova to Pontecesures on the Espiritual was more complicated. They wait to flll up the boat and on this particular day there was no one else to go, so I could either pay for the whole boat or walk. I walked but it was not the most interesting part of the Espiritual.
We had the same problem in late November. Agree about the walk, it was okay but not marvelous.

, entering Caminha go the the restaurant at the camping where they know fishermen who set you over.
To be more specific, as you approach the river having walked through pine forest and past the campground, the path will turn sharply right at the rivers edge and lead you into town. If you turn left you will come to a small jetty where the fisherman's boat is moored - will save the walk into town as the fisherman will take you directly across the river and put you down on the beach which is right beside the pathway that leads you around the coast. The price in 2019 was 5 euro per person for a minimum of three people.

To be more specific, as you approach the river having walked through pine forest and past the campground, the path will turn sharply right at the rivers edge and lead you into town. If you turn left you will come to a small jetty where the fisherman's boat is moored - will save the walk into town as the fisherman will take you directly across the river and put you down on the beach which is right beside the pathway that leads you around the coast. The price in 2019 was 5 euro per person for a minimum of three people.
Is this faster than waiting for the big boat and/ or traveling in it?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, Oliviao:
I will be walking the espiritual in May so I am very interested in your information on luggage transfer. Can you give me any more information on "caminosantiago"? I've tried google but I'm not finding it. As regards Pilbeo and Correos I don't think they cover the espiritual (but I could easily be wrong on that!)

Is this faster than waiting for the big boat and/ or traveling in it?
much faster, if the fisherman and his boat is moored at the jetty. Have not been on the ferry (which isn't operating at the moment, according to earlier posts) but I would expect the journey to be much faster and not require the walk into town.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Caminha is a very nice place to stay. so you missed it 🤭

much faster, if the fisherman and his boat is moored at the jetty. Have not been on the ferry (which isn't operating at the moment, according to earlier posts) but I would expect the journey to be much faster and not require the walk into town.
The fisherman will land directly with his boat on a beach nearby the camping and the crossing takes about 5 minutes
the ferry is a serious boat with access for cars, trucks etc. So this takes some more time . Advantage of the fishing boat is that it drops you a little closer to A Guarda than the ferry
Advantage of the ferry is that you walk through Caminha what is a lovely town.

What wonderful updates, thank you everyone. I am learning that the Coastal Route baggage transport seems to fully start for most companies after the 15th or 22nd of March. Will let you know who we work with and will use all your boating tips. We are thankfully a family of 4, so hoping that will help with finding boats.
Please update as I will be heading out of Porto on about the 17th March. May have to use transfer service again as well.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello from our first day out of Porto! We were able to find Coastal and Spiritual route luggage transfer that has been working out well so far. :) From Porto to A Garda we are using taxisfilipe@sapo.pt who have been lovely and even picked us up from the airport for 20 euro. Then from Garda to Santiago we will be using
belentaxitui@gmail.com who works only in Spain. Both have been kind, flexible and seemingly reasonable as we are off season.

I will keep you posted on the boats and appreciated your insights.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I know, I tried them all, but was apparently the only person there that day (early November). Paying for 8 when it was just me was not within my budget. It’ll stay on the to do list!
That happened to us in November as well. Hopefully going back in April to finish the to-do list.

Back