• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice on a coastal town/ sea-view accommodation in Galicia or Asturias?

Arctic_Alex

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF 2019
CPrim 2023
I am currently trying to plan my Camino Primitivo and thought it might be a nice idea to have 2 or 3 days in a nice place at the coast to relax, enjoy the sea-view, have some good food and drink and maybe even explore the coastline a bit and if a spa is close or included it would be a welcome bonus.
The only places I know so far are Cee (walking through) and Fisterra (two nights, enjoyed the view and the food).
It should be easy to reach from either Santiago or from Oviedo airport as I would arrange my flight back from either of the two places accordingly.
So if you know of any place that has a special flair and that you highly recommend, or even a specific hotel or airbnb, I would love to hear your suggestions :) ... maybe specific accommodation should be send as a private message as it could be considered advertising else? Not sure about forum policies here.

Oh, and I would not mind going for Fisterra a second time if the place is worth it.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
A Coruna? An interesting town with good sea views and lots of options for accommodation and food. Very easy to reach from Santiago. There seems to be a large spa complex in town - I haven't visited it myself but it is now on my to-do list for the future!

Thank you!
A Coruna was a supposedly nice place I am interested in anyway. However, I might want to spare it for later, when I explore the Camino Inglés :cool: ... but we will see!

If you want a spa, close to Asturias airport (called Oviedo airport although it doesn't seem that close) in Soto del Barco there is the Palacio de la Magdalena-- it was once the Bishop of Oviedo's summer palace (bishops don't seem to have summer palaces much these days...). San Vicente de la Barquera is another seaside town with sea views and good restaurants. Asturias has plenty of small seaside towns, and all easily reached by FEVE, the local commuter train which runs from Ribadeo to Saint Sebastian.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want a spa, close to Asturias airport (called Oviedo airport although it doesn't seem that close) in Soto del Barco there is the Palacio de la Magdalena-- it was once the Bishop of Oviedo's summer palace (bishops don't seem to have summer palaces much these days...). San Vicente de la Barquera is another seaside town with sea views and good restaurants. Asturias has plenty of small seaside towns, and all easily reached by FEVE, the local commuter train which runs from Ribadeo to Saint Sebastian.
Thank you :)

Yes, I realised that it is not that close, but the hourly connection by bus does help a lot :)

I will look into the place you mentioned. Now it almost seems that there might not be a "wrong" choice but that there might be many nice places all around.

I also recommend A Coruña.
It's half an hour by train from Santiago, and there's so much to do there!

Wide sandy beaches

20170817_165434.jpg

Pedestrian walkway along the sea

20170817_202107.jpg

The Tower of Hercules Lighthouse

20170817_171702.jpg

A spherical glass funicular from a park on the hill down to the pedestrian walkway

20170819_132649.jpg

Nightlife and great tapas bars

20170817_221541.jpg

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A Coruña is wonderful, big enough so there is a lot to do, including one of the longest Paseo Maritimos (ocean walkways) in Spain, and accessible enough so you can see most of the city in a couple of days. Many of us would highly recommend it as a post-Santiago retreat. :)

Trains fun frequently between Santiago and Coruña. And there are many oceanside hotels with gorgeous views, if that helps.

Buen Camino!

Once arriving in Santiago take the train to Pontevedra and from there take the bus to Sanxenxo . That is the place where the Galego’s go.
nearby is another nice place for your seaviews and good food, O Groove .
we explored the region by car and stayed some time at campingsites. Very beautiful area.It is the same area where the so called and the not by the Pilgrims Office recognized walk , el Variante Espiritual del Caminho Português leads.
Look at Google Maps where it is.

My recommendation is Gijon, on the Atlantic coast in Asturias. It is a beautiful beachside city with amazing coastal walks, great restaurants and cafes, a marina district, underground Roman ruins and lots of accommodation options especially AirBnb ones. We walked through Gijon on the Camino Norte and fell in love with the city and came back and spent a month there, living in the old district of Cimadevilla. We met and made many friends who took great pride in showing off their city. And, if you have a sweet tooth, Gijon has the most pastellarias and confitarias in Spain. What's not to love about all that!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Kick me off if I offend rules, but this seems to me to be a thread more suited to TripAdvisor than anything remotely relating to pilgrimage.

Kick me off if I offend rules, but this seems to me to be a thread more suited to TripAdvisor than anything remotely relating to pilgrimage.
Well, it is remotely connected to pilgrimage. It is connected to a specific pilgrimage ending in Santiago de Compostela. If this is too far away from the core theme of the forum, then the extension to Fisterra should not be discussed either. Nor should people share images of their local walks in the where-did-you-walk locally threads most of which are not pilgrimage related at all – still we do it and even enjoy it.
But maybe this thread is in the wrong section of the forum. I had some trouble deciding where to place it so I chose geographically.

My recommendation is Gijon, on the Atlantic coast in Asturias. It is a beautiful beachside city with amazing coastal walks, great restaurants and cafes, a marina district, underground Roman ruins and lots of accommodation options especially AirBnb ones. We walked through Gijon on the Camino Norte and fell in love with the city and came back and spent a month there, living in the old district of Cimadevilla. We met and made many friends who took great pride in showing off their city. And, if you have a sweet tooth, Gijon has the most pastellarias and confitarias in Spain. What's not to love about all that!
I second this vote for Gijon. My husband and I spent 10 days there in 2019 and fell in love with it. Not a tourist town but beautiful and so-livable. I envy the people who get to live there.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Point taken - However I have really appreciated this thread. For me the integration days after Camino are just as much a part of the pilgrimage as the Way itself. And now I know of a few places near Santiago where I can take time for rest and reflection before I return home to post Camino life.

Vivero. Great little town with a good tapas culture. Train to Ferrol then take the coastal train which is a different gauge to the national routes.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Well, that is good to know. And there I thought it was all industry.
So thank you!

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back