• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any Advice on How to "Cheat" to get from Le Puy to Conques 6

worthlyn

My husband and I walked from Le Puy to Pamplona 12 years ago.
Our daughter is now 11. We plan to introduce her to the joys of walking by doing a 6 day walk from Le Puy in August (the only time we can do it). For various reasons, we would love to make it to Conques in that 6 days but I see from our ancient topo guides that 12 years ago that part of the walk took us 9 days. I can't remember why it took us so long as I remember us as fast walkers.

In any case, we are looking to make this a really fun experience for our daughter so that she wants to do it again! That means paying extra attention to finding good food and ice cream and seeking out the more kid friendly lodging possibilities (the occasional pool for example,or farms where there are quite a few animals about) and not just one of relentless trudging in heat and rain and we plan to stay more in hotels if possible rather than dormitories and to try to restrict walking to 5-6 hours a day. I am even thinking of the occasional taxi shortcut and talking my husband into doing this with a donkey so that if my daughter just loses heart we can put her on the donkey. Any recommendations out there how to take short cuts from Le Puy to Concques or food spots or lodging spots we ought to consider? Thanks to all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Total distance: 198 km.
Stages: 6.
Average: 33 km per walking day.

Stage Partial (km) Cumulative (km) Lodging
1) Le Puy-en-Velay - Monistrol-d'Allier 30.3 30.3 3G, C, H
2) Monistrol-d'Allier - La Roche-sur-Lajo (FR 600 m) 36 66.3 2G
3) La Roche-sur-Lajo (FR 600 m) - Finieyrols 38 104.3 G/H
4) Finieyrols - Saint-Côme-d'Olt 41.5 145.8 G, C, H
5) Saint-Côme-d'Olt - Fonteilles (FR 300 m) 25.8 171.6 H
6) Fonteilles (FR 300 m) - Conques 26.4 198 R, G, C, H
Godesalco

Hi,
I think the normal time taken to walk from Le Puy to Conques is about 9/10 days. We did it in 10 with a very short first day. I think you would have to either start further down the line or skip a bit in the middle. How far do you think you can feasibly walk in a day with your daughter? The route is beautiful but fairly hilly. I don' t really know about any public transport between any of the towns. It probably exists but its very difficult to find out about until you are actually there.

For accommodation I would recommend you get the Miam Miam Dodo guide. It lists all accommodation available from gites to B&Bs (Chambres d'Hotes) to hotels and its updated every year. It lists phone numbers, emails and websites where they exist for the accommodations. If you get a hold of it you could do quite a bit of research on line regarding what is available.

I hope this works out for you. It is a lovely idea to introduce your daughter to the Chemin.

Good luck,
Anna

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Any Advice on How to "Cheat" to get from Le Puy to Conques 6

All (most?) the baggage transport services will also take pilgrims. Just make mention when you call. Why not start walking from Le Puy, then take the baggage lift into Conques from your (sorry) conking-out point?

when I was walking on the chemin in 2010 I noticed there was a limited bus service from le Puy to sauges which would save a day or two.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
There is a train station (served by a bus) in Aumont Aubrac, perhaps this could be a good starting point.

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back