• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice on sleeping bags?

Pilsprog

Time of past OR future Camino
My partner and I are planning to start our Camino Frances pilgrimage around the end of May and expect to be walking for about 6 weeks.
We've researched various different types of sleeping bag, silk sheet sack, travel sacks etc to find a light weight sleep covering that will be warm enough for the journey.
We would appreciate any advice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have a Marmot Pounder Plus that I love.
I also have a down bag that I cut the hood and zipper out of.
I recently have been taking the down bag each year.

You'll be sleeping indoors. A bag rated +5 or +10 should suffice. If its cold use an albergue blanket with the bag.

Down is lighter than any other bag material. Get a waterproof stuff sack for it because down is useless if it gets wet.

A sheet liner is recommended. It makes the bag more comfortable and its easier to clean than the bag. Silk is overkill ... a cotton bag liner will suffice. You can use the sheet liner by itself on really hot nights.

Get a cheap one unless you have a use for it after the camino.

Army surplus with flannel liner is an option.

I like bags by Taiga Works. I've used Taiga bags for more than 20 years.
https://www.taigaworks.ca/

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You'll be walking in June and July and more likely to be hot than cold. Spaniards don't usually like open windows at night and we often found albergue dorms very stuffy - especially when there are lots of people in a confined space (think of the triple decker bunks at Viana).
My body temperature drops quite dramatically after a long day of walking so I do sometimes need something warm to sleep in, at least initially. My solution is a down sleeping bag liner that unzips and opens out flat, plus something to go under me (silk liner or cotton sarong). That gives multiple combinations depending on the albergue temperature.

It all depends on where you stay-the lodging in say Samos or St Juan de Ortega, ancient monastery buildings can be freezing cold even in summer. The American albergue in Najera is marked by cold water in the showers and terrific heat in the sleeping areas-the so called pilgrims pavillion Os Chacotes is also unbearably hot and should be avoided. Even Monte Gozo can be unpleasant. If its hot make sure to take a good liner for your sleeping bag and use it as a sheet on the bed and cover with the sleeping bag like a light blanket-if its cold, as above, use one of the blankets in the albergue with your sleeping bag.

I took a mummy style bag on the Frances last year. I hated the restriction of this style, so have made a very considered purchase for my forthcoming camino Portuguese, which is a down bag which is cut on the cross, which allows for a lot of 'give' in the fabric and allows more movement within the bag. It also opens up completely for use as a blanket. It is half the weight of my previous bag at under 400 grams. (http://www.ultralightoutdoorgear.co...ell-ul-spiral-down-hugger-thermal-sheet-p1143)

At a cost of £165, I would not have considered buying such an expensive item for my first 'one off' camino experience. But as most pilgrims know, what is only ever expected to be a 'one off' journey of a lifetime becomes addictive, and I am even thinking about what route I shall take next year!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I would recommend a silk liner over cotton for weight alone plus the tight weave in silk is supposed to act as a bedbug barrier. Also if they get wet cotton will be very heavy and hard to dry. Silk liner bags can be bought very reasonably here.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Spirits-of...76367014&_sid=999039774&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
I have dealt with this company several times and find them good.
You can get 100% pure silk or a silk mix depending on your needs or budget.
Buen Camino.

I used a silk liner,, because it was the most light version I could find and a very cheap but very light simple sleeping bag. Even walking in June/july I was most times very happy with it. I could use something, especially when up in the mountains.

Last year, I brought a Snugpak "traveller" sleeping bag with me. It was inexpensive (if bought in the UK). The poly-filled bag weighted about 900 grams in it's stuff sack - the size of a pineapple. Down is superior, but I am allergic to feathers.

This year, I cobbled together a solution that I personally think is brilliant - just IMHO. Though the forum, I discovered a silk sleeping bag liner available on e-bay from a company in Vietnam. The liner cost USD 12, plus about USD 9.00 to ship worldwide. I ordered the LARGE, rectangular sized liner as I am a stout fellow. The liner arrived in about 10 days and is an excellent value for the cost. Search the forum for "sleeping bag, Vietnam." You should find it. I think the vendor is named "Spirits of Vietnam."

To that, I added a tourist-intended, rectangular Cool-Max liner / sleep pouch I got on sale at www.RickSteves.com.

The Cool-Max liner fits inside the silk liner. They are nearly exactly the same size. The Cool-Max liner is stretchy enough to make this work.

I attached the two liners together (nested them) using a ping-pong ball in each of the four corners with a hair twisty tie ("donated" by my wife). If you put the ball into the corner, inside both bags, you can apply the twisty tie to the outside and keep the bags together when you are getting in and out. It does not add to the weight. It adds to the compacted size a tad, but the big benefit is that the Cool-Max liner nested inside the silk liner is a damn warm sleeping arrangement.

As both the silk liner and Cool-Max liner have a "pillow pouch" at the top end, I had four corners to insert the ping-pong balls. I experimented with smaller spheres of varying sizes but only the ping-pong ball and solid 1.5 inch diameter styrofoam balls I got from my local Michael's craft store worked well.

NOTE: I originally tried this with safety pins, as the pins are lighter and could do double duty with laundry or emergency repairs. However, the Cool-Max and silk material is so fine that the safety pins tore through.

The 1.5 inch dia. styrofoam balls weight 1 gm each. The ping pong balls weigh 2 gm each. The Cool-Max liner weighs 242 grams and the silk liner weighs 187 grams. So, all in, this layered, field-expedient "sleeping bag" weighs about 440 grams "all-in. "That is about 15 pounces. Add a stuff sack for the assembly and we are looking at an even pound or less than .5 Kg. That is also less than half the weight of the Snugpack sleeping bag.

The bags can be used nested together or separately.

I hope this helps.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Tom, you could have saved me a great deal of money if you had shared this gem a bit sooner! Great idea.

Tom, you could have saved me a great deal of money if you had shared this gem a bit sooner! Great idea.

And, if I knew then what I know now, I would be the most interesting man in the world... instead of that other Dos Equis guy.;)

Sorry about that. My crystal ball was in the shop for repairs...

Last year, I brought a Snugpak "traveller" sleeping bag with me. It was inexpensive (if bought in the UK). The poly-filled bag weighted about 900 grams in it's stuff sack - the size of a pineapple. Down is superior, but I am allergic to feathers.

This year, I cobbled together a solution that I personally think is brilliant - just IMHO. Though the forum, I discovered a silk sleeping bag liner available on e-bay from a company in Vietnam. The liner cost USD 12, plus about USD 9.00 to ship worldwide. I ordered the LARGE, rectangular sized liner as I am a stout fellow. The liner arrived in about 10 days and is an excellent value for the cost. Search the forum for "sleeping bag, Vietnam." You should find it. I think the vendor is named "Spirits of Vietnam."

To that, I added a tourist-intended, rectangular Cool-Max liner / sleep pouch I got on sale at www.RickSteves.com.

The Cool-Max liner fits inside the silk liner. They are nearly exactly the same size. The Cool-Max liner is stretchy enough to make this work.

I attached the two liners together (nested them) using a ping-pong ball in each of the four corners with a hair twisty tie ("donated" by my wife). If you put the ball into the corner, inside both bags, you can apply the twisty tie to the outside and keep the bags together when you are getting in and out. It does not add to the weight. It adds to the compacted size a tad, but the big benefit is that the Cool-Max liner nested inside the silk liner is a damn warm sleeping arrangement.

As both the silk liner and Cool-Max liner have a "pillow pouch" at the top end, I had four corners to insert the ping-pong balls. I experimented with smaller spheres of varying sizes but only the ping-pong ball and solid 1.5 inch diameter styrofoam balls I got from my local Michael's craft store worked well.

NOTE: I originally tried this with safety pins, as the pins are lighter and could do double duty with laundry or emergency repairs. However, the Cool-Max and silk material is so fine that the safety pins tore through.

The 1.5 inch dia. styrofoam balls weight 1 gm each. The ping pong balls weigh 2 gm each. The Cool-Max liner weighs 242 grams and the silk liner weighs 187 grams. So, all in, this layered, field-expedient "sleeping bag" weighs about 440 grams "all-in. "That is about 15 pounces. Add a stuff sack for the assembly and we are looking at an even pound or less than .5 Kg. That is also less than half the weight of the Snugpack sleeping bag.

I hope this helps.
Very cool! I love the pingpong balls - adds a nice touch. :) You mention that the two sacks made for a warm sleep…but do you naturally sleep warm or cold?

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Very cool! I love the pingpong balls - adds a nice touch. :) You mention that the two sacks made for a warm sleep…but do you naturally sleep warm or cold?

I prefer to be slightly cool when I sleep. If this nested system of two liners is not adequate, I have a light fleece, as well as a poly-fill vest (Ex-Officio, "Storm Logic") that compresses to the size of a grapefruit when not used and weighs 369 grams. Plus, I carry a Buff to use as headgear.

Those outerwear items, plus my rain parka are my layered clothing system. I also carry a Sil-nylon poncho from Sea-to-Summit. Every piece replaces a heavier piece from my first Camino last year. All-in, I dropped about 1 kilo from my pack weight. If you include the loss of weight related to the sleeping bag to liner conversion, I dropped another .5 kilos

I hope this helps.

I hope this helps.
wow! this sounds excellent. I have been exploring different options and this is what I had thought of trying. Thanks.

Northface has a product called the "Mercurial". Its a bag liner that is really light and can be stuffed and compressed into a 5 liter sack measuring just 5 1/2 x 11. My wife and I are leaving for our Camino in early June. She is using a 28L pack so we are really trying to keep things as light as possible and compact. This forum has been an invaluable resource for us to figure out what we need and have some time to test everything before we leave.

Cheers!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Northface has a product called the "Mercurial". Its a bag liner that is really light and can be stuffed and compressed into a 5 liter sack measuring just 5 1/2 x 11. My wife and I are leaving for our Camino in early June. She is using a 28L pack so we are really trying to keep things as light as possible and compact. This forum has been an invaluable resource for us to figure out what we need and have some time to test everything before we leave.

Cheers!

The North Face "Mercurial" Liner Bag looks like a very good alternative to a traditional sleeping bag. It weighs less than one kg (951 gm) and is comparable to my Snugpak "Traveller" model sleeping bag (880 gm). Incidentally, both bags are as heavy as they are because they are both synthetic insulation filled.

Then again, the Snugpak "Traveller" has a double zip, can be mated with another like bag, and included an insect screen across the face. The costs are comparable in North America. In the UK, and likely the EU, the Snugpak is a lot less expensive.

On the other hand, my cobbled-together, home made, double liner (Cool-Max inside silk) costs less than USD 50, not including the Sea-to-Summit ultra-sil nylon stuff sack. All-in and nested, the liner-in-liner with ping pong balls Scrungie (hair elastic) in each corner fits perfectly in a 2.5 liter XXS ultra-sil stuff sack. The final, all-in weight is 540 grams or 19 ounces, including the stuff sack. The stuff sack measures about 8.0 inches long (20 cm) x 4.5 inches diameter (12 cm).

We shall see how it handles the Camino starting on 27 April. The concept is sound.

I hope this helps someone.

I would recommend a silk liner over cotton for weight alone plus the tight weave in silk is supposed to act as a bedbug barrier. Also if they get wet cotton will be very heavy and hard to dry. Silk liner bags can be bought very reasonably here.
http://stores.ebay.co.uk/Spirits-of...76367014&_sid=999039774&_trksid=p4634.c0.m322
I have dealt with this company several times and find them good.
You can get 100% pure silk or a silk mix depending on your needs or budget.
Buen Camino.

Hi was wondering what you used, with this for sleeping in(fellow Irishman here ;)). Saw Toms combo was just wondering what you used am doing the french way in May ,so it would be something light enough needed ??? Cheers for any info

Last edited:
Hi was wondering what you used, with this for sleeping in(fellow Irishman here ;)). Saw Toms combo was just wondering what you used am doing the french way in May ,so it would be something light enough needed ??? Cheers for any info
I used a LifeAdventure Downlight sleeping bag rated to +2c which I bought in River Deep Mountain High. As I walked in April/May I used this several times during the Camino and a few times with blankets in the colder albergues. It comes in at 900 grams but packs small enough. Cost €60.00

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I used a LifeAdventure Downlight sleeping bag rated to +2c which I bought in River Deep Mountain High. As I walked in April/May I used this several times during the Camino and a few times with blankets in the colder albergues. It comes in at 900 grams but packs small enough. Cost €60.00

cheers

Yes, don't buy one, buy a sleeping quilt and a good R-rated inflatable mattress. Mine is a Neo Air, expensive but really good, I've had it for a number of years now, and when rolled up is the size of a can of beer. I am of the opinion that buying a good mattress is more important than worrying about what sleeping bag to buy.

Yes, don't buy one, buy a sleeping quilt and a good R-rated inflatable mattress. Mine is a Neo Air, expensive but really good, I've had it for a number of years now, and when rolled up is the size of a can of beer. I am of the opinion that buying a good mattress is more important than worrying about what sleeping bag to buy.
A mattress/sleeping pad is not needed on the Camino. Albergue beds come with mattresses!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I cannot help but wonder when you walked the camino, and how? Did you completely avoid albergues and camp? It is the only way that this advice makes any sense to me. The OP hasn't suggested camping, so one could safely assume that they are intending to stay in albergues, hostels, etc, in which case carrying a mattress would generally be wasted effort on their part.

Hi. Well, if you are a couple and are male/female then don't forget that you have different needs. Females feel the cold much more than males so any truly lightweight liner may work for the male but not be good enough for the female.
I use a lightweight 'jungle' bag that opens out completely into a throw but when zipped up is a reasonable warmth for cooler nights - 5C, min extreme 2C - it also has a built in mosquito (bedbugs!!) net.
Tom mentioned it earlier.
Snugpak are a British firm who provide for our military - so quality is great - and also sell the same products to all (though often in 'civvy' colours).
For years I have used the Snugpack Jungle bag, 900 gms and comes in a strapped stuff sack so can be really compressed - and, they are cheap!!

See here - https://www.snugpak.com/jungle-bag

Attachments

• packsize_jungle_bag_olive_1_1.jpg
    packsize_jungle_bag_olive_1_1.jpg
    330.8 KB · Views: 26
I should have checked the dates when I responded earlier, but this thread is from early 2014 and the OP was going to walk in May that year. They may have walked a couple more times after that. If she has, she probably isn't going to get much value from further discussion here. I suppose it is always possible that others might.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I should have checked the dates when I responded earlier, but this thread is from early 2014 and the OP was going to walk in May that year. They may have walked a couple more times after that. If she has, she probably isn't going to get much value from further discussion here. I suppose it is always possible that others might.
Oftentimes new members find a number of old threads to post on

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.