• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice on the route from Le Puy to Aumont-Aubrac?

Lisa Michaux

I am traveling with my dad (age 75) and my daughter (age 17) for a short trip in late September. My dad has walked the Camino Frances and the Porto with my son and wants to do something with my daughter before she goes off to college next year. We only have a week, so are planning on flying into Paris, taking the train to Le Puy and spending a day there, then starting Monday morning and walking four solid days.

Am I crazy thinking we can get to St. Privat d'Allier on our first day (24 km), Saugues on our second (20 km), Les Faux on our third (28 km) and Aumont-Aubrac on our fourth (22km). That gives us a full day in Le Puy to start and to finish. I am picking these stops mainly for hotels and bigger places to stay. It also sounds like this will be a gorgeous section of the Chemin.

I also need baggage transfer along this stretch and someway to get back to Le Puy or a bigger train station on our last day. Has anyone used the taxis for this purpose?

Any advice on whether we should spend our last night in Aumont-Aubrac or Le Puy?

Thanks all!!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It can be done. Having done it my first time, I took it easier the second with a stop in St. Christophe the first night. But St. Privat is quite reachable on the first day.

This section is indeed beautiful although after Aumont-Aubrac starts a beautiful track as well...
I did about the same track last year as well. It is possible when you are in reasonable good shape. Are you all, especially your father? Baggage transfer makes it definitely more possible. I don't have experience with that.
Aumont is a nice place to stay for the night after a walk, but not much more. If you do arrive in time, you can see the village in one hour and start going back to le puy, but it is really a personal thing what choice to make. I would prepare the possibilities to go back and decide the day itselves.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Has anyone used the taxis for this purpose?
The baggage service takes bags and people, so is less expensive than a taxi. I think Caroline operates in this section. Ask your host to make arrangements. There is a train station in Aumont-Aubrac, but not much else.

This section is indeed beautiful although after Aumont-Aubrac starts a beautiful track as well...
I did about the same track last year as well. It is possible when you are in reasonable good shape. Are you all, especially your father? Baggage transfer makes it definitely more possible. I don't have experience with that.
Aumont is a nice place to stay for the night after a walk, but not much more. If you do arrive in time, you can see the village in one hour and start going back to le puy, but it is really a personal thing what choice to make. I would prepare the possibilities to go back and decide the day itselves.
Yes, I think the baggage transfer will be key with my dad--he did that in Spain and it was a big help. He is a dedicated walker, although does need some coffee every few hours and I'm having trouble figuring out if we will find some towns with little cafes along the way. Do you think I need to set up the baggage transfer ahead of time or can the hotel do that for me?

Thanks for the info on Aumont-Aubrac! Getting back to Le puy might even offer us the opportunity to get a late train to Paris or spend a little more time there. I still need to do a little research on if there is a better town to get to for the train. Maybe Bordeaux or Clermont-Ferrand. But playing it a little by ear will allow us an extra day if we get bad weather or someone gets ill.

Has anyone done the early morning mass and benediction at Le Puy? I've seen it listed as both 7:00 am and 7:30 am. Since I will have a jet lagged crew, this may not be an issue, but am thinking this might be a lovely and symbolic way to start our little journey.

This is the itinerary I followed the first time I walked. They are long, tiring days but manageable if moderately fit. It is not easy getting around rural France and can be very time consuming so don't underestimate how long it could take. You will probably need to go via Lyon on the train which is also a nice city to visit.

I can recommend Transports Claudine for baggage transfer. http://m.claudine32.com/. You just need to ring them before 7pm the night before I think, or you can set it up in advance

If you buy a copy of the Mism Miam Dodo guidebook it will give you the possibilities for coffee stops, and a lot more besides.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I think the mass is at 0700, and it was the only opportunity to get a credential at the cathedral. The cathedral was open in the evening, but no one was around. That may be seasonal; I was there in April.

Trains from Aumont-Aubrac connect to other destinations; Clermont-Ferrand is one of the connectors toward Paris. Beziers is toward Montpellier. Getting to Le Puy will be difficult. Getting to Paris from Le Puy will require going to Lyon first.

Hi Lisa

Your plans sounds very doable. There is luggage service that you can use to transport bags and even yourselves if needed between each stage. Just call and organize the night before - most of the gite owners will call for you and organize the service.

I would consider spending the last night back in Le Puy

Has anyone done the early morning mass and benediction at Le Puy? I've seen it listed as both 7:00 am and 7:30 am. Since I will have a jet lagged crew, this may not be an issue, but am thinking this might be a lovely and symbolic way to start our little journey.

I did, it was a really nice start for me. After the mass the priest also calls everyone together who is doing the camino for nice little talk. There is a little shop in the church where you can buy your compostella, tourguides etc. The mass starts at 07.00, at the times my pictures were taken I can see that at 08.15 I was out all finished and started walking.

I was you a buon camino! Looks to me you will have a wonderful three generation experience.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Thanks all!! I'm excited for the mass and happy to know the actual start time. I think we will end up coming back to Le Puy before heading back to Paris, but it sounds like there is a lot to see there.

It sounds like I can arrange the bag transfer once I get there with the hotels. I'm also glad to hear they will take people. I am trying to be very loose in my plans to accommodate for my traveling companions. Our last day is 28 km, and while I'd like to get to Aumont-Aubrec, it may be only to Les Estrets or Bigose before we try to arrange a car to take us back to le Puy.

Has anyone done this in late september? I am wondering what type of weather we will have. It is horribly hot in Minnesota at the moment and hope it is a little more like fall on the trail!

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back