• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice welcomed

Paul johns

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016)
My daughter aged 20 and I (56) both in OK shape have arrived in Madrid to walk the last part of the Camino
We were going to start in Leon but now think that might be too far We fly out from Santiago on Thursday 17 November We go to Leon today for 2 nights but I'm thinking we'll just stay 1 then go to Ponferrada and start from there on Friday. Will that give us enough time?
Also we have sleeping bag liners and a small blanket each, can we get by without sleeping bags ? We can afford to stay in cheap hotels if necessary- are there some in O Corbeido?
Thanks Paul

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My daughter aged 20 and I (56) both in OK shape have arrived in Madrid to walk the last part of the Camino
We were going to start in Leon but now think that might be too far We fly out from Santiago on Thursday 17 November We go to Leon today for 2 nights but I'm thinking we'll just stay 1 then go to Ponferrada and start from there on Friday. Will that give us enough time?
Also we have sleeping bag liners and a small blanket each, can we get by without sleeping bags ? We can afford to stay in cheap hotels if necessary- are there some in O Corbeido?
Thanks Paul
O Cebreiro sorry

My suggestion would be to start walking in Astorga, which is a nice distance for 13 or 14 days of walking. It is impossible to guess if you will need a sleeping bag. Maybe play it by ear, and see how it goes.

Welcome to the forum and Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Also, there is alternative accommodation in O'Cebreiro. However, the albergue is heated - last November I had an extremely uncomfortable night trying to sleep right next to the blasting heater!

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
For a handy computer guide in Spanish to accommodation possibilities on the CF try this Gronze.list.

Both pilgrim albergues and regular tourist places are listed by location in east to west sequence along the camino. Booking.com links are also provided.

Good luck and Buen camino to you both!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I would start in Ponferrada, especially if you are not used to walk 20+km each day with a backpack. That way you have enough time for the odd rest day and if you arrive too early in Santiago, just enjoy the town and/or walk on to Finisterre and/or Muxia. Buen Camino, SY

My son, 14 yo, and I walked from Leon to Santiago in 14 days, with two nights in Leon, one rest day in Astorga, and one half day walk. I was 53 yo at the time. We had 4 days in Santiago before we had to leave to catch out flight home. I wished I had started in Burgos. So it's do-able, but it really depends on how far you want to walk each day.We walked the whole day -- a good 8 or 10 hours, with a few breaks. Many people walk 4 to 6 hours and then call it a day.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Buy a sleepong bad in Leon. There are a couple of spoting goods store walking distance fron the historical center.

For time saving, bus from Leon to Astorga, the walk there is nothing to write home about.

... For time saving, bus from Leon to Astorga, the walk there is nothing to write home about.

I politely disagree, by doing so one would miss the stunning modern church in Virgin del Camino, the lovely albergue Jesus in Villar de Mazarife, the famous bridge in Hospital de Orbigo (and the local speciality trout soup) and the walk through the hills and down to Astorga.

Tip: There are two routes from Virgin del Camino to Hospital de Orbigo, the one via Villar de Mazarife is the far prettier one, the one via Villadangos del Paramo runs directly beside the very busy national road.

Buen Camino, SY

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I agree with SY that it would be a true shame to miss the stage from Leon to Astorga while following the alternate camino which avoids the N120 highway.

From Leon it is only 7 km to La Virgen del Camino and the extraordinary 20th century church. The town is named for a famous 15th century figure of the Virgin holding the dead body of Christ. Today the figure is in a splendid church designed in the 1960s by a Dominican monk, Francisco Coello, a follower of the Brutalist style of Le Corbusier. Located directly on the Camino Frances at Av Astorga, 87, in the midst of chaotic suburb the church is a superbly maintained architectural gem as well as a haven of peace. Be sure to enter it; the calm interior is splendidly lit with deep chrome yellow glass.

Opposite the church you can choose to either continue on the main camino which parallels the highway or pick up the peaceful alternative camino route going slightly southwest towards Villar de Mazarife. It is always very pleasant to escape the N120 highway noise and suburban sprawl while crossing wide flat plains up to V de M where there are several pilgrim albergues and regular accommodation. From V d M the alternative camino continues to Hospital de Órbigo to rejoin the main CF. You can read more about the alternative more rural route in this earlier Forum thread .

Hospital de Orbigo offers many accommodation options; my favorite is the Albergue Verde. They accept reservations and offer delicious group meals each evening. Leaving HdO turn right to follow the camino towards Astorga via Santibanez de Valdeiglesias on a wonderful rolling rural path.

Happy planning and Buen Camino!

Last edited:
Hi @Paul johns and welcome to the forum!

I agree that it would be a shame to miss the section from Leon to Astorga, but Astorga or Ponferrada are probably more realistic starting points. Assuming that you want a couple of nights in Santiago, you have about 12 walking days. As you're both reasonably fit, I suggest starting from Astorga, rather than Ponferrada. Personally, I love the walk from Astorga to Ponferrada.

Buen Camino to you both!

WE started in Astorga and I feel like we had plenty of time... 10 days or so. I thought the walk from Astorga to Rabanal was fantastic!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I think the walk from Astorga through the cruz de ferro is special...but it could be a rough start to the walk, starting out climbing up, and then the climb down into molinaseca. Not a reason necessarily to skip that part, but look at the elevation charts on gronze.com to see if it is how you want to start (and yes, I know a lot of people start by climbing over the Pyrenees) just saying...be prepared:rolleyes:

Thanks Paul

I am in leon. Rain rain snow on meseta light. You will need a good sleeping bag. You are then heading to cruz de ferro at 1505mtrs. Likely to be cold and snow. Then to o cebreiro at1300 mtrs i would start ponferrada. Buen camino

There is a great train route from Leon to Ponferrada and lots of points in between. When you get to Leon, you can see how you feel and even try your legs out a bit. Make sure that you completely get over jet lag before you start. After each day do some things that will help you recover from your exercise, like stretching and self-massage. Remember to take care of yourself and give yourself a few rest days every now and then and even a light day of exercise, where you maybe go just a short distance. Enjoy.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back