• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

any advice what sort of footwear - ?hiking boots

Nick Pollock

Time of past OR future Camino
Two of us will be starting in Le Puy next July (2015) and continuing to Santiago in three stages - 250m, 250m & 500m, over three years - July each time; any advice regarding choice of footwear? hiking boots or shoes, lightweight - any particular recommendations? Thanks - Nick

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
No need for boots and in mid summer they will be too hot. I've walked the Le Puy twice in lightweight trainers.

It is all down to personal preference.

Imo there is no need for boots from Le Puy, but then I would say that as I generally do not wear boots;) I prefer trailrunners, or will use regular trainers if I cannot get the trailrunners that I like. I will wear boots if I know that I'll be walking in snow/freezing conditions for an extended period of time, but only then.

My reasons for avoiding boots are:
they are heavy
they need walking in
if they get wet they take ages to dry out
they are hot
I generally find the soles too stiff

The only benefit I can see is extra ankle support...

I'm also amongst those that believe that trailrunners/trainers do not need to "broken" in. I have replaced them "on the road", left my old ones in the shop and continued with the new ones and had no problems. I tend to get mine a size larger than what I usually do, as this also allows me to use sealskinz (waterproof socks), and allows for feet to swell up a bit during the day.

Whilst some brands have better reputation than others, it does not matter if their shoes/boots do not fit you. Likewise if 1 model in a brand does not fit your feet, another model might. Keep trying until you find one that fits you well.

If I'm trying on a new model/brand I also bring my socks along as different sock combinations can significantly alter the way the shoes fit/feel.

I used to like to Montrail, currently I mainly use Saucony or Salomon, as I have found those to fit my feet best, and not needing to be walked in:)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
It is just a mind game, I have read so many comments
and I am also so confused. I bought Merrill light weight gortex hiking low cut day hikers .. Wore them for three days , no movement in them. I started to get bottom of my feet pain.. I took them back and bought Solomon gortex extra light weight shoes. I still think they are too much shoes. I am beginning to think also that just normal nike runners will do the trick.. I am over thinking the whole thing which confuses me. The hiking store said I would need the hiking shoe due to the fact I am carrying a 35 litre backpack. Without proper shoes you would feel every stone under your feet.. Oh my, have I bought the right shoes.. Such a mind game.

New Balance Trail Runners (1.5 sizes larger than I normally wear) with Motion Control inserts have worked for me on the Frances, the Portuguese, the Norte, the Aragones, and part of the VDLP. This year I'm wearing them on the Madrid route then on the Frances. Comfortable, lightweight, quick drying and no blisters.

This has been such a mind game for me also. I just purchased hand made hiking boots from Esatto. They will be heavy and were very expensive but are suppose to give enough room for swelling while fitting well with the bone spurs on my feet. If I run into problems, are there actually places to buy shoes along the Camino Frances?

Every town of 2000 or so has a Camino outfitter of some size. My low Merril hiking shoes are doing fine, and we're welcome in the snow and sleet three weeks ago.

New Balance Trail Runners (1.5 sizes larger than I normally wear) with Motion Control inserts have worked for me on the Frances, the Portuguese, the Norte, the Aragones, and part of the VDLP. This year I'm wearing them on the Madrid route then on the Frances. Comfortable, lightweight, quick drying and no blisters.
Hi Annie
Do u have a picture of your runners? I'm trying to get a better fit for Sep/oct. Given 1.5 sizes larger means ( eg normal 6.5 but camino in 8?). Are you getting much movement ? Wondering if you use the Vaseline /body glide treatment and double socks ?
You aren't getting blisters so it's like 'I'll have what she's having!'

Annie (there are a lot if us on this forum)

I am always concerned when I read the advice to buy 1.5 sizes larger than normal, as a general rule of thumb. I can't imagine fitting the shoe "just right" and then going 1.5 sizes larger. I would have too much movement. I go a half-size up. A full size would be too much unless I used an extra inner sole. Different shoes just fit differently and the number doesn't matter. And I suppose sometimes 1.5 sizes bigger might be okay.

I am always concerned when I read the advice to buy 1.5 sizes larger than normal, as a general rule of thumb. I can't imagine fitting the shoe "just right" and then going 1.5 sizes larger. I would have too much movement. I go a half-size up. A full size would be too much unless I used an extra inner sole. Different shoes just fit differently and the number doesn't matter. And I suppose sometimes 1.5 sizes bigger might be okay.
Thank you c clearly
It's a matter of try, try, I realise !
Regarding the innersole, do you sometimes add one (walk with 2) or take our original and replace. ?

Annie

I now have some custom inner soles that are a bit thicker than the originals so I just use one pair (replacing the original) but need a half-size larger shoe. Having a second thin inner sole is a good way to allow for potential swelling (then you can remove one layer) but get exactly the fit you need if you find that you don't swell that much after all.

I find that if the shoe is the right shape for my foot, just loosening the laces accommodates a bit of swelling.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

I have had no end of trouble with boots I wore in a pair of Keens and then a low cut Merrill both shoes with added size, my toes continually clawed at the inner sole and my feet did not tolerate the stiff soles.one week prior to leaving I could not walk at all.I have bought a pair of comfortable runners, stopped walking to calm my feet down and plan to start my Camino in 4 days, God willing. Listen to your feet.

Annie. You can see photos of my runners on my blog or Google New Balance Leadville 1210.

Regarding 1.5 size. All I can say is "you'll see.'

The Motion Control inserts are quite thick and with wool socks, the shoes fit perfectly. Yes there is plenty of toe space. You will need it. You can also tighten the laces but you can never make the shoes larger.

I promise. It works.

Regarding glide product. I've used Vaseline but didn't like it because I want my feet DRY. Using all those public showers tends to make me a bit paranoid about foot fungus. I may try a glide product later. I've heard rave reviews.

My only issue on every Camino is my left small toe. It curls under its mate just enough when my feet swell to cause me to pinch it each step, no matter how wide the shoes. I resolve that by splitting a gel tube in half (opening it up) and taping it under the toe so as to lift it. Spacers did not work. The toe would go under the spacer.

Believe me, THE MOST IMPORTANT piecesof equipment are your shoes. Spare no expense. But unless you have boots you love, I still maintain boots are overkill on the Frances. This is not the PCT or the AT. It is a trek, rather than a mountain climbing hike.

I am beginning to think also that just normal nike runners will do the trick.. I am over thinking the whole thing which confuses me. The hiking store said I would need the hiking shoe due to the fact I am carrying a 35 litre backpack. Without proper shoes you would feel every stone under your feet...

Your normal Nike runners will be fine. The advice from the hiking store that with a 35 litre backpack you will feel every stone is rubbish. Running shoes (ordinary ones, not barefoot ones) are made for pounding on concrete and bitumen roads and have plenty of padding on the soles. I have worn lightweight ASIC runners carrying my pack on the Frances, Arles, Le Puy and Tours routes and never had a problem with them.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Your normal Nike runners will be fine. The advice from the hiking store that with a 35 litre backpack you will feel every stone is rubbish. Running shoes (ordinary ones, not barefoot ones) are made for pounding on concrete and bitumen roads and have plenty of padding on the soles. I have worn lightweight ASIC runners carrying my pack on the Frances, Arles, Le Puy and Tours routes and never had a problem with them.
At the moment I do prefer trailrunshoes from Salomon. But I agree with Kanga that normal running shoes can be perfect too. My wife did thousends of camino kilometers and did a lot on them too, so do many others. It's just about personal preference.
Shoe's are different, but for the industry, it is important to create a picture that any shoe is very specially designed for specific purposes. In this way it is possible to sell shoes for €140 while it costs €3, - for manufacturing. And we as customers are happy to pay the price for this specific shoe made for out personal purpose! This after we finish our mind game...
Only by experimenting and by experience we do find out what suits best. Sometimes there is bad luck in this with sore feet for a while and some financial consequences... :(

Two of us will be starting in Le Puy next July (2015) and continuing to Santiago in three stages - 250m, 250m & 500m, over three years - July each time; any advice regarding choice of footwear? hiking boots or shoes, lightweight - any particular recommendations? Thanks - Nick
Nick, hiking shoes, not boots, as boots will leave you with shin splints if they are done up to the top laces. Experience I picked up last year :)
Buen Camino

Andy

I agree with all who say shoes are the most important thing. I walked in a low cut leather Merrill last year and they were fine until they got wet. After that they became most uncomfortable with bits of leather poking into my toes. I have used a shoe tree to stretch them back to shape, but I worry that another shower of rain will change them again. So have gone for a goretex shoe with soft uppers and nice and roomy, rather than the leather for my assault on the camino this year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Annie. You can see photos of my runners on my blog or Google New Balance Leadville 1210.

Regarding 1.5 size. All I can say is "you'll see.'

The Motion Control inserts are quite thick and with wool socks, the shoes fit perfectly. Yes there is plenty of toe space. You will need it. You can also tighten the laces but you can never make the shoes larger.

I promise. It works.

Regarding glide product. I've used Vaseline but didn't like it because I want my feet DRY. Using all those public showers tends to make me a bit paranoid about foot fungus. I may try a glide product later. I've heard rave reviews.

My only issue on every Camino is my left small toe. It curls under its mate just enough when my feet swell to cause me to pinch it each step, no matter how wide the shoes. I resolve that by splitting a gel tube in half (opening it up) and taping it under the toe so as to lift it. Spacers did not work. The toe would go under the spacer.

Believe me, THE MOST IMPORTANT piecesof equipment are your shoes. Spare no expense. But unless you have boots you love, I still maintain boots are overkill on the Frances. This is not the PCT or the AT. It is a trek, rather than a mountain climbing hike.
Thanks Annie
Good feedback. I will check out a few brands that are available here in Oz. I'm prepared to spend as much as it takes to find a good fit. I'll try out with inserts too.

Thanks for response and enjoy your Camino Madrid !

Annie

Hi,
Just to add my twopennys worth, I think the best footwear is determined by the surface of the trails, I,m on Camino now and the first 3 weeks were over gravel/stones 20 to 40 mil, wearing Merrel Moabs, and I could feel every one, just not enough sole protection. Since reaching the French way the trail is generally smoother so perhaps a light shoe would be OK
Regards
George

I would definitely find a comfortable pair of boots that you have well broken in... Then I suggest sock liners and big lent care for feet!!! I am on the CAMINO now and I see do mAny taken down by blisters!!!!

Nick, hiking shoes, not boots, as boots will leave you with shin splints if they are done up to the top laces. Experience I picked up last year
I'm sorry to hear that you suffered from shin splints. I have worn boots on all my pilgrimage walks, and never suffered from shin splints (touch wood).

I appreciate that shoes are a reasonable choice, but my preference is for boots. I have used both Scarpa and Asolo leather boots in both Spain and Norway, without any of the side effects described in this thread.

Regards ,

This is probably one of the most discussed topic on the forum. There are boot people and shoe people. It all boils down to personal preference.

Those who love boots , LOVE their boots!

Likewise with shoes.

I will say that I have met MANY more blister footed pilgrims who are in heavy, hot boots, including a Washingon man I met two days ago who had worn his boots on the PCT. He never had a problem...until the Camino.

I try to tell people this is a different type of walking but some kids just have to touch the stove. Me included.

Do what feels right.
If your shoes hurt even a little at home, they will kill you after a day on The Way.

Likewise with shoes.
@Anniesantiago, so true. I regularly wear shoes on short walks at home, but have never been able to bring myself to bring them as my primary footwear on the Camino.

Unlike you, I think I saw more people with shoes having trouble with blisters - but your observation makes me wonder if my vision was a little selective :rolleyes:

Regards,

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Annie
Do u have a picture of your runners? I'm trying to get a better fit for Sep/oct. Given 1.5 sizes larger means ( eg normal 6.5 but camino in 8?). Are you getting much movement ? Wondering if you use the Vaseline /body glide treatment and double socks ?
You aren't getting blisters so it's like 'I'll have what she's having!'

Annie (there are a lot if us on this forum)
Hi Ozannie I tried tracking that particular New Balance trail shoe down in Australia. Was told they only brought the male version in, and that all stock was recalled for use by a govt dept. You can probably order on line if you are confident about size, but after all my shoes drama I would want to try them on. Hope this helps :)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Boots are a disaster on my feet. It's gotten worse with age too.

I love hiking now in my Brooks Cascadia 9's trail runners. My feet love me again. But I haven't done any super long distances in them yet, since I made the switch from boots.

My concern on the Camino is if one pair can hold up for 1000 km of daily walking?

Hi Ozannie I tried tracking that particular New Balance trail shoe down in Australia. Was told they only brought the male version in, and that all stock was recalled for use by a govt dept. You can probably order on line if you are confident about size, but after all my shoes drama I would want to try them on. Hope this helps :)
That's very kind of you Viv, to look into the availability of that new balance trail shoe.
I did some checking myself and found we don't get a big range here in Oz . Even though I regularly skulk around Kent st , Sydney seeing whether they have updated any gear and clothes (in my size). There always appears to be heaps in the tiny/chickadee sizes. (I'm talking trek trousers there! ), being pear shaped, have problems,

Anyway re the footwear, I'm thinking of going to a place that sells particular brands and try those on for fit. Having the extra allowance for swelling etc, I'm sure the socks and inserts etc, will help with the comfort and fit. Just trial and error and spending the time on my part. I am aware new balance have a wide fitting, ill question the shoe shop experts about width fittings too.

When I feel I know which ones , I'll see if my son can pick me up a pair when he goes to the US, in jun/July. I don't mind wasting the money if they are wrong. I can give them to someone.
If that doesn't work, I'll get the ones I think are best here....but maybe look into it in Spain along the way .

Thanks Viv, are you walking soon?

Buen camino
Annie

My concern on the Camino is if one pair can hold up for 1000 km of daily walking?
I don't have experience with the particular shoe, but there are two things to watch for:
  1. the outer layer of the sole will wear, especially at the heel, and might expose the softer compression layers;
  2. the compression layers will lose their elasticity, and won't recover as fully, reducing the impact protection they provide.
I would expect that you won't begin to notice these effects starting much before about 500km of use, and I have had shoes that have lasted three or four times longer than that before needing to be replaced.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Saltwater pearl
I haven't got your answer, but will look into Brooks.
I haven't got much good to say about Keen mids (Goretex) boots. Not very well cushioned (even tried inserts) and generate a lot of heat.

Will await reply to your question re brooks with interest

Edit. (just noticed dougfitz has given a good reply while I was posting)'

Buen camino
Annie

Hi,
Just to add my twopennys worth, I think the best footwear is determined by the surface of the trails, I,m on Camino now and the first 3 weeks were over gravel/stones 20 to 40 mil, wearing Merrel Moabs, and I could feel every one, just not enough sole protection. Since reaching the French way the trail is generally smoother so perhaps a light shoe would be OK
Regards
George

One of the reasons I wear Asics runners is that they have far more depth on the sole because they are made for pounding on concrete and bitumen. I find a jogging sole with impact resistance is much better than something with a rigid sole. Even more so if you are facing walking on roads. A light mesh shoe does not mean inadequate. It depends on the type of sole.

I don't have experience with the particular shoe, but there are two things to watch for:
  1. the outer layer of the sole will wear, especially at the heel, and might expose the softer compression layers;
  2. the compression layers will lose their elasticity, and won't recover as fully, reducing the impact protection they provide.
I would expect that you won't begin to notice these effects starting much before about 500km of use, and I have had shoes that have lasted three or four times longer than that before needing to be replaced.[/
QUOTE]
My Asics last nearly 1000 km without any signs of wear whereas I've had Brooks that seem to lose their tread quite quickly. Even after 1000 km all I can see on the Asics are a few tiny crease marks in the sides indicating a bit of compression - the sole itself looks unchanged.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Lightweight, good traction (wide heal as well), and at least a half size above what you would normally wear. I am still pondering the worth of Goretex for the rainy days. I can't help but feel they were the cause of my feet sweating and developing terrible blisters on the dry stretch of the Way. Not sure.

For what it is worth, I can make a couple of suggestions on footwear that we have found success with:
Mens - Adidas Swift R GTX Awesome Shoe that is very light and comfortable but not cheap at USD $135
Womens - GoLite Neon Lite My wife swears by these shoes. No break in period. She tried Merrels and others and the GoLite's are a great shoe.

I think any good quality trail running shoe would work. I maintain buying them 1.5 sizes too large, taking out the insert and replacing it with a good quality supportive gel insert like the motion control. This not ony supports the foot and ankle, but takes up a good bit of room and makes the shoe fit better. The soles on trail runners are made for trails, rocks , etc. mine do usually wear out by the end of my trek BUT I generally am walking the Camino 12 weeks instead of the 6 weeks people usually walk.

This year and last, I've noticed a decline in the quality of the New Balance shoes. Someone suggested it could be due to outsourcing to Vietnam and use of lesser quality materials. I don't know but I am looking for a new favorite. Until I find it, I'll stick with NB.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
That's very kind of you Viv, to look into the availability of that new balance trail shoe.
I did some checking myself and found we don't get a big range here in Oz . Even though I regularly skulk around Kent st , Sydney seeing whether they have updated any gear and clothes (in my size). There always appears to be heaps in the tiny/chickadee sizes. (I'm talking trek trousers there! ), being pear shaped, have problems,

Anyway re the footwear, I'm thinking of going to a place that sells particular brands and try those on for fit. Having the extra allowance for swelling etc, I'm sure the socks and inserts etc, will help with the comfort and fit. Just trial and error and spending the time on my part. I am aware new balance have a wide fitting, ill question the shoe shop experts about width fittings too.

When I feel I know which ones , I'll see if my son can pick me up a pair when he goes to the US, in jun/July. I don't mind wasting the money if they are wrong. I can give them to someone.
If that doesn't work, I'll get the ones I think are best here....but maybe look into it in Spain along the way .

Thanks Viv, are you walking soon?

Buen camino
Annie
In 4 days in a pair of runners I bought a week ago after spending 4 months breaking in boots that have left me with aching feet :) my reasoning at this point is I can always buy a new pair along the way. Unfortunately Australia is so far away you can't just change travel plans easily. So for better or worse I will start and see how far my feet take me. All the best with your plans and take whatever socks you intend to wear when trying on shoes (note I did not say boots - attempted humour) :)

Hi re quality, Annie may have a point about manufacturer cutting corners on quality, I know people that swear by Merrels, but everyone I've spoken to suggest that there seem to be a protection layer missing in the sole unit, on rough trails you feel every stone, I think I would have been more comfortable walking in the box they came in!!
Regards
George

In 4 days in a pair of runners I bought a week ago after spending 4 months breaking in boots that have left me with aching feet :) my reasoning at this point is I can always buy a new pair along the way. Unfortunately Australia is so far away you can't just change travel plans easily. So for better or worse I will start and see how far my feet take me. All the best with your plans and take whatever socks you intend to wear when trying on shoes (note I did not say boots - attempted humour) :)

Way to go Viv! I'm sure it will all work out for you. There are so many (supporters) on this forum alone, who give the runners a good wrap . I've noticed so many of them have walked numerous times. I think you gave the boots a fair trial !

Buen camino , you will have the greatest time!

Annie

Am on the Camino Frances at the moment, weather is very warm and the trails dry and hard under foot. My Meindl boots are a little stiff soled for the conditions and so I am wearing my trainers a lot. If I could change anything, it would be my choice of boot. If you wander the lines of boots outside the albergues, many of them are more flexible. Simple test is bend them in your hands just after the toe box.

You must do what's right for you but consider this, you will spend 6 hours a day walking, lots on hard compacted surfaces, try this now at home and see what does you best.

Buen camino fellow pilgrim whatever you decide, the Camino is busy and you will enjoy it.

... If you wander the lines of boots outside the albergues, many of them are more flexible. Simple test is bend them in your hands just after the toe box.
Are you seriously suggesting that anyone do this? I suspect that if I found someone doing this to my boots, I would invite them in the most polite manner possible to restrain themselves from interfering with my stuff.

Boots are a disaster on my feet. It's gotten worse with age too.

I love hiking now in my Brooks Cascadia 9's trail runners. My feet love me again. But I haven't done any super long distances in them yet, since I made the switch from boots.

I used the same pair of Cascadias for my final two months of training, plus the Camino Frances, and they lasted just fine for me. After what was roughly 1000 km, the lugs were still in good shape, the materials hadn't started to fray. Their "stiffness" was broken down enough that I only use them around town and not on long walks, but the key thing is that I can still wear them comfortably and they don't look trashed.

Having said that, I think much depends on your walking mechanics. If you have good footfall and are selective in your placement, you'll get far more life than if you scuff with your heel on every step. I was also very good about rinsing out any significant mud or debris that accumulated in the fabric.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
. . . I would invite them in the most polite manner possible to restrain themselves from interfering with my stuff.
More effective perhaps if you lay the Australian accent on thick when you do it. :)

Lightweight, good traction (wide heal as well), and at least a half size above what you would normally wear. I am still pondering the worth of Goretex for the rainy days. I can't help but feel they were the cause of my feet sweating and developing terrible blisters on the dry stretch of the Way. Not sure.
I only wear Goretex in early spring and late fall for that very reason. Once I moved to non-waterproofed shoes for late spring through mid-fall, my blisters almost complete disappeared. Sure, they get wet, but they dry quickly.

This is probably one of the most discussed topic on the forum. There are boot people and shoe people. It all boils down to personal preference.

Likewise with shoes.

I will say that I have met MANY more blister footed pilgrims who are in heavy, hot boots, including a Washingon man I met two days ago who had worn his boots on the PCT. He never had a problem...until the Camino.

I try to tell people this is a different type of walking but some kids just have to touch the stove. Me included.

Do what feels right.
If your shoes hurt even a little at home, they will kill you after a day on The Way.
What is the different kind of walking ?

As to the question of how much larger to get the shoe, the question in my mind is what problem is being solved with the larger shoe?

Our feet are not likely to get longer, but they are going to swell. Swelling puts pressure outwards on the sides and top, but it doesn't make the feet get longer. The usual reason that we get larger shoes is that the shoe gets proportionally roomier as we go upwards in size. Therefore, a primary quality to look for in a shoe is whether or not it can be made roomier to accommodate swelling without creating pressure points.

A shoe should operate like a clamshell (or a scallop shell?) with the ability to loosen the laces and give an even expansion. The problem is that many times the decorative treatments can actually create irregular pressure when the shoe is opened out a bit more. Pressure causes discomfort which could distort walking mechanics if we are compensating, and it can lead to blisters.

The common wisdom is to try the shoe on with the socks we'll wear. However, I think we should then loosen the laces slightly and put an extra sock on to see if it is still comfortable. But, wait, there's more . . . then put a second extra sock on to see if it is still comfortable with no pressure points. If so, then you probably have a properly sized shoe.

Also, as a side note, there is a lacing technique commonly called "lace locking." A Google search will produce many hits. This technique helps anchor the heel in the shoe to prevent slippage while walking (translation, lowers the likelihood of blisters and prevents "toe hammer" in the front of the shoes while descending).

I used the same pair of Cascadias for my final two months of training, plus the Camino Frances, and they lasted just fine for me. After what was roughly 1000 km, the lugs were still in good shape, the materials hadn't started to fray. Their "stiffness" was broken down enough that I only use them around town and not on long walks, but the key thing is that I can still wear them comfortably and they don't look trashed.

Having said that, I think much depends on your walking mechanics. If you have good footfall and are selective in your placement, you'll get far more life than if you scuff with your heel on every step. I was also very good about rinsing out any significant mud or debris that accumulated in the fabric.

Thank you. This is very helpful! I still have a year until my Camino, and will still try out maybe Asics and New Balance, but so far I'm really in love with the Brooks Cascadia. It's nice to know it can last for the whole Camino, as I'd rather not buy fresh shoes on route if I can avoid it

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
My feet measure US 6 (L) and US 6.5 (R). But I buy street shoes in 7 or 7.5, and my trailrunner hiking shoes in size 8. My toes can wiggle freely and there is an inch of air space between them and the front of the shoe.

Even better, as my feet swell or spread, the sides of my feet come up against soft, flexible mesh. In boots, they just hit a rigid wall, and I got all kinds of insidious little blisters in my pinkie toes and nerve pain in my big toes.

But yes, as kolife said, you must lock in the heel.

Are you seriously suggesting that anyone do this? I suspect that if I found someone doing this to my boots, I would invite them in the most polite manner possible to restrain themselves from interfering with my stuff.

No don't worry that's not what I am suggesting. Besides it would be too late for our friend by then they want advice before they come. No your boots are safe my friend, you can relax.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
There is a fellow who has hiked everywhere wearing Dunlop Volleys. I wouldn't know where to get a pair but the his hiking exploits highlight how boots aren't always the best answer

Danny Yee describes Dunlop Volley shoes
http://danny.oz.au/travel/dunlop_volley/
There are religious wars fought among hard-core bushwalkers in parts of Australia over Dunlop Volleys. They were the issued sports shoe when I joined the Australian Army in the 1970s, and I was glad to see the end of mine. My only recent direct experience with them walking was a few years ago, when they were being worn by someone who had developed a massive blister on the side of her heel. She swore that the Volleys were not the problem - but if not, it wasn't clear what else might have been.

There is a fellow who has hiked everywhere wearing Dunlop Volleys. I wouldn't know where to get a pair but the his hiking exploits highlight how boots aren't always the best answer

Danny Yee describes Dunlop Volley shoes
http://danny.oz.au/travel/dunlop_volley/

John Hillaby, who walked through Europe and Britain and numerous other long walks (and wrote marvellous books about it) favoured Dunlop Volleys.

I also think about our marathon running potatoe farmer, Cliff Young, who trained in gumboots....

Great forum...off to buy the highest quality shoes I can find with double socks and lots of time to sit in the shop to test the my feet swelling for presure points, I love my boots but they are very rigid, so I dont think they will make the trip.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thanks for this, Kanga. I have a good pair of Montrails. What about rain? Mine are solid but a portion of the top are mesh (great for breathing). I leave at the end of May from Le Puy.

Thanks for this, Kanga. I have a good pair of Montrails. What about rain? Mine are solid but a portion of the top are mesh (great for breathing). I leave at the end of May from Le Puy.
. The rain pours through my Asics and so does mud but I wash them and they pretty much walk dry so I don't worry. It is only when it's very cold as well that I find it a problem and then I wear warm woollen socks. By the end of May you should be right. If you do get cold it's likely to only be for a day or two, probably on the Albrac plateau. Heat in June July is usually more of an issue. No shoes are really waterproof anyway, in a heavy downpour water will get in somewhere. Goretex lined shoes take ages to dry when they do get wet and the leather shoes I took last time I regretted because I had wet shoes each morning. So I like mesh. I'd rethink if I was walking in winter.
Take something warm to put on at night - I take bed socks in lurid colours I bought at a $2 shop - it's a psychological comfort factor...

. The rain pours through my Asics and so does mud but I wash them and they pretty much walk dry so I don't worry. It is only when it's very cold as well that I find it a problem and then I wear warm woollen socks. By the end of May you should be right. If you do get cold it's likely to only be for a day or two, probably on the Albrac plateau. Heat in June July is usually more of an issue. No shoes are really waterproof anyway, in a heavy downpour water will get in somewhere. Goretex lined shoes take ages to dry when they do get wet and the leather shoes I took last time I regretted because I had wet shoes each morning. So I like mesh. I'd rethink if I was walking in winter.
Take something warm to put on at night - I take bed socks in lurid colours I bought at a $2 shop - it's a psychological comfort factor...
That's very helpful, Kanga! Yes, the thing about the goretex is what others have told me. Do you bother with gators? I have some long ones and am loathe to bring them ... I could buy some short ones I guess.

€60,-
That's very helpful, Kanga! Yes, the thing about the goretex is what others have told me. Do you bother with gators? I have some long ones and am loathe to bring them ... I could buy some short ones I guess.
Kanga, me again, as I am getting very close to leaving... when you say warm for the night... I have some night clothes and a pair of tights - that should do, right? I will be taking my own "coolmax" for the night and use there covers/blankets. Would you take an umbrella? I think it might be good in the area where there is no shade and can be used for rain and privacy for bathroom breaks.
I will have my main luggage transported but still want to be light and efficient. Thanks again and again for all your helpful tips! Hello from sunny Vancouver!

Here are my 2 cents: If you're walking during the summer months, have you considered wearing a pair of sports sandals? I walked last fall - from Pamplona to Muxia between Sept to Nov, yes.. slow-mo! - and started off in a pair of well-traveled hiking boots (I'd hiked the Himalayas in them a few years before, perfect for that trek). But after a couple of days, and the first inklings of a blister, I packed them in and pulled out my sandals - that I'd bought 2 weeks before. Sun, wind, rain or downpour, I found that my TEVAs were the best choice... for me. When the weather turned brisk, then really chilly, I pulled on a pair of wool socks before donning the sandals. I found that the sandals allowed my feet more space and movement, better balance and traction too.. and hence, I was a happy peregrina (on that count at least) the rest of the way!

Just got back from completing the Portuguese route (from Porto) wearing walking boots and loved them-no foot problems at all. Saw people in all sorts of footwear including a woman in ordinary street shoes, so I guess it's purely personal preference. whatever suits you is best.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Kanga, me again, as I am getting very close to leaving... when you say warm for the night... I have some night clothes and a pair of tights - that should do, right? I will be taking my own "coolmax" for the night and use there covers/blankets. Would you take an umbrella? I think it might be good in the area where there is no shade and can be used for rain and privacy for bathroom breaks.
I will have my main luggage transported but still want to be light and efficient. Thanks again and again for all your helpful tips! Hello from sunny Vancouver!
Sabrina, sorry I did not see your request earlier, might be too late now! I take a light down sleeping bag liner which opens out flat and a cotton voile sarong - the sarong has multiple uses, as clothing, as a privacy screen, as a towel, and can be used to cover the bed like a sheet with the sleeping bag liner owned over me like a doona - on very hot nights I use it the other way round ie sleep on the doona, and under the sarong.
Yes, I take an umbrella - great for shade on the meseta as well as rain.

Well if they're good enough for the Aussie *insert paramilitary-police-defence-department-here*, they're good enough for me! :)

On that note, do any women wear men's shoes/boots? I have wide feet and a large big toe, and always struggle with the chicks shoes that are foisted on me ion athletic stores.

Well if they're good enough for the Aussie *insert paramilitary-police-defence-department-here*, they're good enough for me! :)
My experience of government purchasing is that the item that meets the absolutely minimum requirements at the lowest possible cost is chosen. You might have more demanding requirements than some official who is purchasing for other people.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
My experience of government purchasing is that the item that meets the absolutely minimum requirements at the lowest possible cost is chosen. You might have more demanding requirements than some official who is purchasing for other people.
Ah, you're probably right. Administrators, eh? ;)

On that note, do any women wear men's shoes/boots? I have wide feet and a large big toe, and always struggle with the chicks shoes that are foisted on me ion athletic stores.
Hi Hal
I also have wide feet. I actually at last bought my new footwear last weekend. Same brand as last year but size 39 instead of 38. I went to trek and travel in city centre here and went through the try/test /fit.
My street footwear is size 37. Last year walking in size 38 I had lots of problems so we tried a few brands and first 38.5 but went up to 39 as they felt better. Time will tell. I'll report back.
I found that I still went for the Keen brand as they were the widest fit available here.
Also your question about women wearing men's shoes. In 2012 I wore 'hi tec' brand boots which the fitter only had the mens size at the time. They were great but were worn out. I haven't seen many around while I've been searching. But any if these ideas is worth checking out .

I had good luck almost great with a mesh-top trainer that was designed for canoeing. I feared the rain and shoes that wouldn't dry I wore Merino wool socks and Compeed or Body-glide applied twice daily. I had very few blisters (small) My shoes dried quickly, without having to stuff them with paper hourly all night. The problem was I stepped on a sharp rock, bruising my foot. I limped into town, made hard insoles from a plastic pale and recovered.
I just purchased "HOKA" Conquest shoes . They are designed for distance runners, with one piece upper construction, very thick but soft soles and the shoes should dry quickly. So far they feel great, light weight and quiet. I did buy a size larger so to avoid toe-pounding on the downhills. I hope to add a BOA lasing system and I'm still testing socks. Eighty day till departure. Good luck with your choices. I will report back...... Willy

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The choice between boots and shoes is very personal, as others have said already. Regarding how many sizes larger to buy -this is more problematical to voice on the forum. It all depends on where you live and how shoes are sized. If shoes are made in 1/2 sizes then going from a 6 to a 7 can be seen as 2 shoe sizes. Ladies often get the 1/2 size choice, men only full sizes so they would only see it as going up 1 size between 6 and 7. Some folk would see going from 6 to 7 1/2 as going up one and a half sizes. Then there are shoes sized as 37 -38- 39 etc and US sizes are different again.
Nothing beats trying the boots on with the type of socks you intend to wear and checking the fit for width and toe space etc as advised in other posts on the forum.
Happy feet make good walking - buen Camino

My Asics last nearly 1000 km without any signs of wear whereas I've had Brooks that seem to lose their tread quite quickly. Even after 1000 km all I can see on the Asics are a few tiny crease marks in the sides indicating a bit of compression - the sole itself looks unchanged.

Shoes do not only wear and tear on the outside, but also on the inside, meaning IN the sole, not so much in the shoe.
The cushoning in the sole also tears and looses its fuction after a certain amout of km's. Maybe more when just using them for running, but still, it also tears when walking, of course.

I have to replace my running shoes every 800-1000 km's. After aprox these distances i start feeling the difference and not just a little bit. If i keep on running on them i will feel it in hips and knees. When i wear new ones, these problems are gone.
The shoes i replace sometimes look like new from the outside and the soles on the bottom look like they are still good for a few more km's, but there really is a difference.
I sometimes (lots of running) replace them with the same make and model of that season and its a world of difference, new shoes or shoes that have 1000km on them.

For the camino i am in the (trail)runner shoe camp, but i have foud out first hand that running and walking are two seperate things. The shoes i run on are, for me, not suitable for the camino. The toebox is to narrow for long days of walking. It is not the daily distance, i run those distances, but it is the total time walking. I can walk 6-8 hours on the camino, but i dont run 6-8 hours haha. Therefor i found out that for walking the camino i need shoes with a much wider toebox then my running shoes.
I found this out bringing two pairs of shoes with me on my last camino, just as a test to find out what walks better.
My nike trailrunners (zoom wildhorse) with wide toebox won bigtime from my normal everyday nike runners (lunarglides 4 and 5).

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.