• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice

Jim irish

Time of past OR future Camino
2014 sarria to muxia ,
2017 french way
Bueno Dias ,
I am currently in arzua ... Weather is bad and to get worse , legs are getting the better of me and bag is heavy .. anyone know quick and simple way to ship my bag forward , I am just hitting walls with everyone ... No one speaks English ... And I don't speak Spanish except for hello and goodbye and thanks etc ....
Wet and getting the flu I think , just a little advice help me over the line ...
T.I.A

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Jim,
Sorry to hear that you are wet and think you are getting flu. the weather is bad and from the forecasts it is going to get worse. Looking after your own health is a first priority.. Get some paracetamol in a chemist and get a bed somewhere and ask for hot drinks. Jacotrans is a company that will forward your bag. but perhaps you need to have yourself sent forward too. phone 0034 610 983 205

If you have a flight that you have to get home get a bus or taxi to Santiago. Don't feel pressurised into finishing the Camino. The Camino has been there a long time and will be there next year. Look after your own health.

God bless,
Lydia

Sorry to learn that you are feeling pooped. You could send you bag to Ivar in Santiago.
See more here-- http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html

Many organized luggage services stop in winter but you might mail the bag at the local post office/Correos which opens at 8:30 tomorrow and is located at
calle Ramon Franco, 38.

Keep warm and rest well tonight.
Hope that you feel better soon.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jim

Very good advice above please take note of it.
When I did my first camino friends said to me that there is nothing to be ashamed of if you don't finish, my response was that I'd make it to Santiago even if I was on my knees. In hindsight it was a really stupid and arrogant thing to say considering I had never walked that distance before. Anyway I did make it but like you hit many walls and at times wondered what the hell I was doing.
If you feel that illness is approaching and weather deteriorating, either hunker down somewhere or get out of there.
I wish you well whatever decision you choose.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Sorry to learn that you are feeling pooped. You could send you bag to Ivar in Santiago.
See more here-- http://www.casaivar.com/luggage-storage-in-santiago-de-compostela/index.html

Many organized luggage services stop in winter but you might mail the bag at the local post office/Correos which opens at 8:30 tomorrow and is located at
calle Ramon Franco, 38.

Keep warm and rest well tonight.
Hope that you feel better soon.

Thank you very much for the very informative reply ... It's greatly appreciated .

I'm not one for forums , but this forum has been a world of insight and even this evening with the prompt replys I received at this time of year when the numbers aren't as big on the Camino , it's a comfort ... Thank you to all who manage and all who share information ... Your very much appreciated ...
Ps ... Dosed up now with lemsips so ... Good rest and as I read along the way , keep walking like the turtle ... Lol

Hi Jim, good stuff: Lemsip. Sounds like you need to rest up for a day or two. There are worse places than Arzua! All the Best.
Jill

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hi @Jim irish
You’ve got best advice above but I’m thinking Arzúa is only approx 45 minutes by bus to Santiago.
If you are still unwell, get yourself to Santiago de Compostela. See to your well being there. If you feel better and have time., leave your heavy stuff in sdc and bus or taxi back to Arzúa and complete the walk.
Just an idea. I hope you’re better soon.

Buen Camino.
Annie

Bueno Dias ,
I am currently in arzua ... Weather is bad and to get worse , legs are getting the better of me and bag is heavy .. anyone know quick and simple way to ship my bag forward , I am just hitting walls with everyone ... No one speaks English ... And I don't speak Spanish except for hello and goodbye and thanks etc ....
Wet and getting the flu I think , just a little advice help me over the line ...
T.I.A
Yes. The Spanish Post Office have a service for transporting rucksacks. It works out at just over 4 Euro a day. It is very reliable. The hospilario in your Albergue will help you set it up.
Keep the sports up.
Donal

One more thing. On my first Camino from Le Puy to Santiago, in 2010 , 3 weeks into my journey I suffered a hernieated disk and had to be repatriated home for an operation on my back. I returned to where I stopped within 12 months and finished my 1000 mile Camino. I was 70 years old when I started and I still walk at least one Camino each year.
Donal

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Bueno Dias ,
T.I.A

Fluimicil is THE medicine that helps me to get over the flu in Spain. I could not recommend it more highly.

Get somewhere, get a hotel, and stay put for awhile. Drink those hot drinks, and eat lightly. Just stop activity for three or four days and rest.

Get well!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi @Jim irish
You’ve got best advice above but I’m thinking Arzúa is only approx 45 minutes by bus to Santiago.
If you are still unwell, get yourself to Santiago de Compostela. See to your well being there. If you feel better and have time., leave your heavy stuff in sdc and bus or taxi back to Arzúa and complete the walk.
Just an idea. I hope you’re better soon.

Buen Camino.
Annie
Great advice Annie. !
Jim,
Get some rest and while doing so reassess, regroup then move forward. You are sooooooo close to the end.
Good luck !

I am lying in bed , browsing through the forum and reading obliviously varied posts here and there old and new ... Quite relaxing actually ... Btw my bed for the night is in o pedrosa and tomorrow night will be Santiago .... Lemsips are brilliant and I have used them over the years , trick is a little over indulging in them ... Rained all day the only thing that changed was strength ... But you can only get so wet and then you are immune to the rain and you begin to focus on the moment ... I love days like today when it all makes sense , no matter how many books you read . I think we all inherintly know that love is the way , is the message or whatever you want to call it ... Thanks again for all the replies , another good rest and one final stroll ....
Ps I carried my bag , but I lightened my load and unloaded some stuff I didn't really need plus dropped off some worry stones I had been carrying for others .
Looking forward to tomorrow and will enjoy whatever weather comes my way ....
Too all I met today , buen Camino , yoi Camino and guter Camino ....

Jim, you may possibly feel that you are being a bit of a wimp right now but let me tell you, I think that you are amazing! Brio!!
Goes against all real advice but what I do with flu type symptoms is, in the evening, to drink lots of Veterano brandy and then make a huge mug of the brandy with boiling hot water and sugar and down that and then go to bed. You will sweat, with no muscle pain and may, just may, wake up feeling pretty good!

Well done for getting so far in this weather and well done for being there, Santiago is in front of you.

Brio, pilgrim, Brio!!!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Just saw your post, and look at all the wonderful responses with really practical and sympathetic input. And tonight there you are, all set for the last leg. Ultreya, and great publicity for lemsip. When you are all done, and in form for a laugh...
Buen Camino.

Hi Jim.

I’m Jorge. A Spanish guy who lives in Ireland at the moment. I did the Camino two years ago with my dad .

Happy to hear you are getting better . :) . As the other members advise, rest as much as you can if you don’t feel 100% OK.

Just a few comments that may help :

- the Spanish medical system is quite good. If you feel unwell , try to go to some “ambulatorio “ or some “centro médico “ , they will probably see u there even though you are not in the system. U may need to wait a bit for the doctor once there .

- flu medicines are usually stronger than leinsip in Spain , and u can get some of them over the counter . You can go to a pharmacy and ask for them : you just tell them “estoy resfriado “ (I have a cold ), tengo gripe (I have flu), me duele la cabeza (I have a headache ) , fiebre (fever ) , dolor de garganta (sore throat ) , nariz bloqueada (blocked nose ).

- if u need any language support let me know and I can try to help you from here.

Buen Camino amigo :)

I am lying in bed , browsing through the forum and reading obliviously varied posts here and there old and new ... Quite relaxing actually ... Btw my bed for the night is in o pedrosa and tomorrow night will be Santiago .... Lemsips are brilliant and I have used them over the years , trick is a little over indulging in them ... Rained all day the only thing that changed was strength ... But you can only get so wet and then you are immune to the rain and you begin to focus on the moment ... I love days like today when it all makes sense , no matter how many books you read . I think we all inherintly know that love is the way , is the message or whatever you want to call it ... Thanks again for all the replies , another good rest and one final stroll ....
Ps I carried my bag , but I lightened my load and unloaded some stuff I didn't really need plus dropped off some worry stones I had been carrying for others .
Looking forward to tomorrow and will enjoy whatever weather comes my way ....
Too all I met today , buen Camino , yoi Camino and guter Camino ....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Congratulations and well done - you have had to dig deep but are almost in Santiago! And today you will be.
Wishing you an easeful day, and a joyous arrival.
Buen camino!

IMG_20171209_123321846.jpg made it .... Left o pedrosa in the dark this morning and the woodland walk was interesting , loads of owls and noises that make your mind question ...lol... Was hoping the fog would have lifted by Monte de Gonzo but sadly not so I rested and left my remaining stones there ... Had a plane fly in just as I was rounding the airport which was crazy to watch in the fog as the noise approaches and only at the last min the plane and light bursted through the the fog like from another dimension ...
The same as the last time I felt a bit empty at the cathedral coming from nature and being surrounded by egos I suppose and then getting ejected from the cathedral because I had my backpack on my back and they aren't allowed seemingly ... I don't remember this ... All I wanted was to say a prayer of gratitude but there is more than one altar in town so I offered my prayers at the Franciscan cathedral .... A prayer is a prayer whether offered in front of a tree or a toilet and a security guard wasn't quenching my fire ....
I feel like a million bucks but quite humble at the same time ... And again thank you so much for advice and even the comments are comforting and make one feel your not alone ...
Buen Camino to all , as it goes on and on .....

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
View attachment 37794 made it .... Left o pedrosa in the dark this morning and the woodland walk was interesting , loads of owls and noises that make your mind question ...lol... Was hoping the fog would have lifted by Monte de Gonzo but sadly not so I rested and left my remaining stones there ... Had a plane fly in just as I was rounding the airport which was crazy to watch in the fog as the noise approaches and only at the last min the plane and light bursted through the the fog like from another dimension ...
The same as the last time I felt a bit empty at the cathedral coming from nature and being surrounded by egos I suppose and then getting ejected from the cathedral because I had my backpack on my back and they aren't allowed seemingly ... I don't remember this ... All I wanted was to say a prayer of gratitude but there is more than one altar in town so I offered my prayers at the Franciscan cathedral .... A prayer is a prayer whether offered in front of a tree or a toilet and a security guard wasn't quenching my fire ....
I feel like a million bucks but quite humble at the same time ... And again thank you so much for advice and even the comments are comforting and make one feel your not alone ...
Buen Camino to all , as it goes on and on .....
Well done, sir! Hope you have a great day.

Congratulations Jim. Safe journey home. Wrap up well, it is very cold here in Dublin today.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I know you made it! Congratulations! But in case anyone else needs assistance with a pack, you can have a bag sent ahead to the next destination from O'Cebriero to Santiago all year long on the CF. see
http://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/transporte-mochilas.php
For the rest of the CF their service starts April 1st.
caminofacil begins March 15th on the CF.

Yes your right marbe2 , the thread has drifted off topic a bit ....
As the saying goes prevention is better than cure , so bringing the bare essentials is key , the problem I find with posting your bag forward is you must know where you will stay but if you have a schedule that's not a problem as you will have it all planned out , time of year is also a big decision ... I was very surprised at how everything was shut down and even houses locked up like what seemed to be for the winter .... I did find the odd vending machine along the way and I thought it an excellent idea as some had toiletries and plasters and I think there should be more of them ... Back home there are a lot of open air washing machines and dryers at petrol stations , industrial type and coin operated ... Sort of what you would find in albergues .... A business opportunity for someone maybe ...

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back