• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any advice?

MarieBBO

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 Camino De Notre or Francais
I want to walk the Camino Francais at 64 2019. I have been to Santiago on Pilgrimage, but not walking. I saw many pilgrims my age, my physical range doing it and our tour guide explained not all pilgrims are young. My question is for those who have done this...what is your opinion and if I choose to go it alone, are there people along the way to mingle with safely?
Thanks!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Go, there will be plenty of others, at times too many. I walked when older than you and survived. Walk a bit with your, sort your footwear well, get a small pack, no more than 36 Lt and do not fill it. Take your time, do not hurry there is always a bus if you run out of time. Leave your doubts behind, they are too heavy, and let each day come as it will. Take rest days as often as you need and when you need. Think about how to cross the Pyrenees, if you want to start in France, it is probably the hardest day/couple of days and you will not be trail fit. Above all enjoy it. Good luck.

Hi Marie - ah ... you have been caught by the Camino - Excellent! As for 64 - you is a mere youngster!!

I am 70, nearly 71, and apart from a very few youngsters doing some sort of gap thing (gap in the head sometimes) I have found that age is immaterial ... everyone seems to not notice age or race or nation, just fellow pilgrims - though I have heard that some women do get a little flirted with sometimes ...

Surely, you will love it - and I bet you have been thinking "if not now, this year, then when??" Buen Camino Marie!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I want to walk the Camino Francais at 64 2019. I have been to Santiago on Pilgrimage, but not walking. I saw many pilgrims my age, my physical range doing it and our tour guide explained not all pilgrims are young. My question is for those who have done this...what is your opinion and if I choose to go it alone, are there people along the way to mingle with safely?
Thanks!
Spend some time reading over this forum. There are many forum members your age and older who have walked the Camino. There are many subforums relating to gear, routes, accommodations, etc. And a search function at the top of each page for specific questions.

Lots of people walk the Camino Frances alone. You will meet lots of people walking so you don't have to worry about travelling alone. Everyone is headed west, so you just have to find people who walk at your speed, or agree to meet people at stops along the way. Have fun planning!

In 2015 I went alone and the first night I met an American woman and we had dinner together. I continued to meet up with her at different places throughout the 42 days I took to walk the camino and I even saw her the last day in Finisterre. We couldn't walk together because she walked so much faster than I did, but I always had other people to walk with or to walk behind when I wanted time to myself.

I'm from flat Toronto and the hills (always mountains to me!) were so hard for me as I don't have anywhere to practice. I had to learn how to walk up and down and lots of people who were passing me would give me pointers. So if you are not used to hills, (are there any in Florida?) you may want to give yourself more time than the Brierley Guide book suggests!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
At 64 the camino should be no problem. I walked a bit with an 80 something y.o. who were walking the whole camino at his own pace while shaking his head at all those turists that got their bags shipped from place to place.

At 64 you would fit right in with a large group of people all ready to mingle (safely) all the way to Santiago.

I concur with age not mattering on the Camino. Two of the coolest people I have walked with were a 17 year old American between high school and college and a seventy something Irishman doing his umpteenth Camino. They were the same age in spirit. Age is like nationality - it doesn't define us, it's just one of many things that make up who we are. Your body might not forget it's 64 but your mind will right away.

Thanks!
In fact many of them are retired and can afford the time. We found a lot of gap year young people and lots of 50+.
To do a Camino in one go requires time.

cheers
Val

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I agree! GO!!
You are never alone on the Camino, unless you wish to be.
I did my first at 73.
You'll learn that the biggest blessing on the Camino is the people you meet.
It's all about the relationships...international relationships.
I still correspond and have met with people I first encountered on the Camino.
You'll love it!
Buen Camino!

Thanks!

most are not young, yes it is safe, with lots of help nearby, and yes, the other pilgrims are usually wonderful people
Buen CAmino

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have done four long-distance treks and one of my favorite aspects of the experiences is expressed above: age doesn’t define you in the trail. A moderate level of fitness is important, but beyond that, it is mental and social. The Camino de Santiago especially is a place where you can walk alone or with others, depending on your preference. I would always walk within earshot of other(s), though. All the best to you!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Thanks!

In a nutshell, walk the CF alone; it's safe. Frankly you are really never alone on the Francis unless you want to be. There is always a solo hiker or small groups within eye-shot who would be happy for you to join them if and when you choose. Walking alone is a completely different experience which I highly recommend. I did it two years ago at 73 so age is not a factor unless you let it be. I started out in SJPP with no particular goal in mind other than the challenge to finish the Camibnot. Six weekly later I arrived in Santiago. Standing in front of the Compostela I was overwhelmed by my accomplishment; it was truly transformative experience. To this day, I marvel at my experience. In two years I plan to hike the Alpe-Adria Trail which is about the same distance as the Camino, traversing Austria, Slovenia and Croatia. Happy Trails

Thanks!
71 and June will be my 4th consecutive camino

This might be useful. Buen camino, enjoy!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I have done four long-distance treks and one of my favorite aspects of the experiences is expressed above: age doesn’t define you in the trail. A moderate level of fitness is important, but beyond that, it is mental and social. The Camino de Santiago especially is a place where you can walk alone or with others, depending on your preference. I would always walk within earshot of other(s), though. All the best to you!

I LOVE your handle: "carryoncouple"... very cool!

I was 78 when I walked it in April this year. It can be exhausting but always exhilirating. I'm on the shy side and only speak English with an Aussie accent and I also have some hearing loss. No problem walking alone as so many around willing to give friendship and help if needed.

Go for it!

Thanks!
I’m 59 and I walked the Frances SJPdP fall 2017 alone , Le Puy to SJPdP fall 2018 super alone, last 100k to Santiago again oct 2018 (with hubby). You can do anything! Trust me—-if I can do it you can. Pace yourself..have a day to recover before starting if you come from the US, pack some turkey jerky or protein bars until you are comfortable with walking and eating, buy some stuff to put in a water bottle (not your water bladder) per day that is electrolytes or whatever you may be needing, get your bag carried each day until you think you can carry it or never, buy pacer poles—-ergonomic walking sticks that I swear by...and everyone that I have suggested them to, a sun hat, handsfree uv protection sun umbrella (euroschim?), or both, some cotton hiking gloves from amazon, good pair of sunglasses (Costco has Maui jim’s), get TrekRight Camino Frances app in your phone, book hotels or whatever your budget allows (I had great luck w booking.com) I needed my own bed, hot shower and a good night’s sleep each night, I booked 10+ miles each day’s to start, make a list of someone to think about/pray for/sent good thoughts to each day—-and ask them to do the same for you, get your dry overnight shirts 2! Not 3 or 4 at Duluth trading because they are more generous and a bit longer for the senior figure, keens were my footwear of choice and it took 500 plus miles to realize I need a WHOLE size bigger to accommodate my smart wool (high merino will count!!) socks, and a backback for the water bladder, compeeds for your “hot spots in your feet...NEVER put these in a blister!!! They will rip the tops off!!! (Trick yo putting compeeds on...put them in your bra or under your arm for a minute or two to warm them up!!). If anyone says that any accommodation you are making in order to make the journey is making you not a “real pilgrim” realize they are simply possessed and get away quickly. The pilgrims of old walked there with no conveniences and WALKED BACk HOME! Go for it! Enjoy! Above said, imho of course.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi Marie - ah ... you have been caught by the Camino - Excellent! As for 64 - you is a mere youngster!!

I am 70, nearly 71, and apart from a very few youngsters doing some sort of gap thing (gap in the head sometimes) I have found that age is immaterial ... everyone seems to not notice age or race or nation, just fellow pilgrims - though I have heard that some women do get a little flirted with sometimes ...

Surely, you will love it - and I bet you have been thinking "if not now, this year, then when??" Buen Camino Marie!

Thank you. It is good to know many my age and older are doing this. My heart is certainly ready, so I pray the rest will follow...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I’m 59 and I walked the Frances SJPdP fall 2017 alone , Le Puy to SJPdP fall 2018 super alone, last 100k to Santiago again oct 2018 (with hubby). You can do anything! Trust me—-if I can do it you can. Pace yourself..have a day to recover before starting if you come from the US, pack some turkey jerky or protein bars until you are comfortable with walking and eating, buy some stuff to put in a water bottle (not your water bladder) per day that is electrolytes or whatever you may be needing, get your bag carried each day until you think you can carry it or never, buy pacer poles—-ergonomic walking sticks that I swear by...and everyone that I have suggested them to, a sun hat, handsfree uv protection sun umbrella (euroschim?), or both, some cotton hiking gloves from amazon, good pair of sunglasses (Costco has Maui jim’s), get TrekRight Camino Frances app in your phone, book hotels or whatever your budget allows (I had great luck w booking.com) I needed my own bed, hot shower and a good night’s sleep each night, I booked 10+ miles each day’s to start, make a list of someone to think about/pray for/sent good thoughts to each day—-and ask them to do the same for you, get your dry overnight shirts 2! Not 3 or 4 at Duluth trading because they are more generous and a bit longer for the senior figure, keens were my footwear of choice and it took 500 plus miles to realize I need a WHOLE size bigger to accommodate my smart wool (high merino will count!!) socks, and a backback for the water bladder, compeeds for your “hot spots in your feet...NEVER put these in a blister!!! They will rip the tops off!!! (Trick yo putting compeeds on...put them in your bra or under your arm for a minute or two to warm them up!!). If anyone says that any accommodation you are making in order to make the journey is making you not a “real pilgrim” realize they are simply possessed and get away quickly. The pilgrims of old walked there with no conveniences and WALKED BACk HOME! Go for it! Enjoy! Above said, imho of course.

WOW, such welcome and detailed advice! Much appreciated. Since you started at SJPDP, can you tell me anything about the terrain and mountains? I would love to start there because my first husband (deceased since 2001) his family is originally from Pau near lourdes. I was able to visit Lourdes in 2017 and although I was fine with all the walking we did on pilgrimage, I did notice the mountain air was taxing on my lungs. Any thoughts would be like gold to me! Thanks!

Marie, starting in SJPDP is up and steep. Stop at Orisson! It's a great stop in so many ways and you'll make friends there that will be your "Camino family" for the entire journey. Then the walk from Orisson to Roncesvalles is great and not so tiring. Neither is a "killer" but stopping in Orisson is smart. Most pilgrims say these are the toughest climbs, ecause 1. Your just getting used to it, and 2. They are pretty steep esp out of SJPDP...doable but steep in parts. Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Advise: a good pack, pack very light, stop at Orison, comfortable shoes. Resist the urge to go fast for the first week, plan a short walk the day after hiking over the mountains, take rest days when you are tired. Don't try to keep up with the 20 somethings. There is no reason to walk in the dark.

Train with your full pack on (start light and build up the weight), see if you need to adjust how you carry the pack for any back issues. Take a knee brace and wear it if it will help. Listen you your own body. Plan your walk for as long as possible, stop each day for a bit when you find each amazing thing along the way. Lose your sense of time and place, just walk.

WOW, such welcome and detailed advice! Much appreciated. Since you started at SJPDP, can you tell me anything about the terrain and mountains? I would love to start there because my first husband (deceased since 2001) his family is originally from Pau near lourdes. I was able to visit Lourdes in 2017 and although I was fine with all the walking we did on pilgrimage, I did notice the mountain air was taxing on my lungs. Any thoughts would be like gold to me! Thanks!

From SJPdP to Roncesvalles via Route Napoleon

SJPdP to Roncesvalles via Route Valcarlos

Thank you so much for these videos! Very challenging on the first route. Wondering after watching both which is more treacherous...the mountain roads or the roads with the cars!!! Most helpful and now I have lots to consider.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I was 78 when I walked it in April this year. It can be exhausting but always exhilirating. I'm on the shy side and only speak English with an Aussie accent and I also have some hearing loss. No problem walking alone as so many around willing to give friendship and help if needed.

Go for it!

Bear in mind that there is a sting in the tail on the Valcarlos route which is that it rises with increasing steepness towards the end of the day and has a total height gain not much different from the Napoleon route. The Napoleon latter stages are mostly down hill. Having said that Valcrlos route is a lovely route.

Bear in mind that there is a sting in the tail on the Valcarlos route which is that it rises with increasing steepness towards the end of the day and has a total height gain not much different from the Napoleon route.
Click the graph and scroll down to the comments on the page that comes up.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back