• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any albergues between Santander and Santillana de Mar?

Bert45

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2003, 2014, 2016, 2016, 2018, 2019
I plan to walk from Biarritz to Villaviciosa on the Camino del Norte, then to Oviedo and the Primitivo. I have seen a website that suggests stages, mostly in the region of 20 to 30 km each day. But one of the stages is Santander to Santillana de Mar which is 37 km. This is a bit far for me (I'm nearly 70). Do you know of any albergues, casas rurales or pensiones about half way between those two towns? Or about one third the way from either end?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Lots of choices @Bert45 - have a look at this page on Gronze.

We never walked more than about 25km. We did not divert at Oviedo and were happy not to have done so; I loved the walk all the way.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I plan to walk from Biarritz to Villaviciosa on the Camino del Norte, then to Oviedo and the Primitivo. I have seen a website that suggests stages, mostly in the region of 20 to 30 km each day. But one of the stages is Santander to Santillana de Mar which is 37 km. This is a bit far for me (I'm nearly 70). Do you know of any albergues, casas rurales or pensiones about half way between those two towns? Or about one third the way from either end?

Loved Albergue Santa Cruz in Betanzos, upstairs in family home with communal meal at night.

Lots of choices @Bert45 - have a look at this page on Gronze.

We never walked more than about 25km. We did not divert at Oviedo and were happy not to have done so; I loved the walk all the way.

Any suggestions how to plan stages so as to arrive in Ziortza to sleep atbthe Monastery? Thanks Kanga, I will stay on the Norte as per your c9mments about its beauty.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We took the train from Santander to a stop about 20 kms. out and then we walked the rest of the way to Santillana Del Mar as was suggested in the Northern Camino guidebook. I normally don’t take transport between stages but in this instance it seemed a good idea.

When are you walking? i too am quite nearly 70!! Is this even possible?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
When are you walking? i too am quite nearly 70!! Is this even possible?
Hi, Brianne. I start from Biarritz on 14 June. I am pretty fit for my age, I guess, but nothing special. I walked the Francés in spring 2003, autumn 2014 and autumn 2016, also the Portugués (from Porto) in spring 2016. I have never done any training for my walks. I think walking is just putting one foot in front of the other. Stop when you get tired. I realise that June/July might be a tad warm, but I want to be in Santiago on St James's Day. Is that what you meant by "Is this even possible?"?

Loved Albergue Santa Cruz in Betanzos, upstairs in family home with communal meal at night.
Thanks for that, camino07. If I ever decide to walk the Camino Inglés, I'll be sure to check it out. But Betanzos is not between Santander and Santillana.

Thanks for your reply, I too believe that it is putting one foot in front of the other, although I have made it a habit to increase my regular walking habits before i travel. I also like Bikram yoga very much. i will be leaving Boston on May 6th for Paris and then train it to Hendaye and walk over the bridge to Irun and beyond. Buen Camino

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Boo de Pielagos is a lovely albergue. My wife and I arrived there in a spitting rainstorm last June. The hospitalera took very good care of us; got us settled and dried and did a communal load of laundry (lots of fun sorting through everyone's stuff afterwards :oops:). There's not much to the town, but dinner and breakfast are available at the albergue for a reasonable cost and well worth it, in my opinion.
The train station is nearby; do take the train across the bridge to Mogro station (5 minutes) as the local authorities frown on pedestrians.

Collette - we did Irun, Pasaia Donibane, Orio, Zumaia, Deba, Markina-Xemein, then a short leisurely day to Zenarruza.

Do you know of any albergues, casas rurales or pensiones about half way between those two towns? Or about one third the way from either end?

Hi, I stayed at Albergue Nimon in Santa Cruz de Bezana, 8 kms from Santander. I can recommend it. There was one other pilgrim staying there. My camino buddy and I were given a twin-bed room to ourselves. 15 euros each which included breakfast.
Jill

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Bert,

Boo is a common stopping point along this stretch. There is also an alternative coastal route from the east side of Santander to Boo, but that is somewhere around 33km so perhaps not what you need. More info and maps here: http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino_del_norte_in_cantabria?page=1
That's a good idea, wisepilgrim. It is on the 'old' camino, if I'm interpreting Gronze correctly, the camino until 2016, but the reviews are good, so it will be worth going a bit off the new 'true' camino to get a good albergue.
Hi, I stayed at Albergue Nimon in Santa Cruz de Bezana, 8 kms from Santander. I can recommend it. There was one other pilgrim staying there. My camino buddy and I were given a twin-bed room to ourselves. 15 euros each which included breakfast.
Jill
Another good suggestion. A bit close to Santander, perhaps, but 15€ including breakfast is a good recommendation.

Another good suggestion. A bit close to Santander, perhaps, but 15€ including breakfast is a good recommendation.

We had stayed at Guemes the night before, at La Cabana del Abuelo Peuto (google that for some controversial ideas about whether to stay there or not), and intended to stop in Santander. We didn't like that city though and just wanted to get out of it :(, so we kept on walking. I was also struggling with a flu-type virus that had hit a lot of peregrinos at that time (Oct 2016), so I was very slow; it grabbed you by the throat and throttled you. Albergue Nimon was a blessing in disguise. Jill

Boo de Pielagos is a lovely albergue. My wife and I arrived there in a spitting rainstorm last June. The hospitalera took very good care of us; got us settled and dried and did a communal load of laundry (lots of fun sorting through everyone's stuff afterwards :oops:). There's not much to the town, but dinner and breakfast are available at the albergue for a reasonable cost and well worth it, in my opinion.
The train station is nearby; do take the train across the bridge to Mogro station (5 minutes) as the local authorities frown on pedestrians.
Thanks for that, camino07. If I ever decide to walk the Camino Inglés, I'll be sure to check it out. But Betanzos is not between Santander and Santillana.

So sorry, I meant Albergue La Santa Cruz in Santa Cruz de Bezana.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
For pilgrims with time, or who are able to walk longer distances, I want to echo @wisepilgrim's suggestion of walking the coastal route from Santander. It is really gorgeous, and there is very little asphalt once you get out of the city (whereas the official camino is totally asphalt all the way to Boo, in fact all the way to Santillana). And if the 32 or so km from Santander to Boo via the coast are not appealing, there is a hotel about in the middle where you can stop, as @NualaOC did.

We took the train from Santander to a stop about 20 kms. out and then we walked the rest of the way to Santillana Del Mar as was suggested in the Northern Camino guidebook. I normally don’t take transport between stages but in this instance it seemed a good idea.
What was the name of the place u took the train to please?

What was the name of the place u took the train to please?
We took the FEVE cercania to Bareda and then walked to Santillana. That avoids the awkward river crossing/long detour at Mogro. The Camino passes the station at Bareda so it is easy to pick up the arrows. Trains were about every 30 minutes when we did it.

I also

I walked the Norte in May and never did a 37km day. I mostly did 22-25 I think. Check the Buen Camino app for an up-to-date listing of places. I also had the Ciccerone guide, which had some weird days mapped out at close to 40km, but I never did that ... there is always another stop.

I didnt stop at Santander ... I stopped before at Guermes, then went to Benzana. Then Santillana.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! I walked the Le Puy to Roncesvalles route last spring, and now I am thinking of Arles to Compostela on the Norte in the fall. I have many questions. I have downloaded the WP Norte App. I...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back