• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any altitude breathing problems crossing the Pyrenees

wcsjms

Time of past OR future Camino
(2016) ; 1st Camino Frances September 2016-November 2016 ; Camino Frances August 2017-October 2017
Has anyone ever experienced problems with their breathing when crossing the Pyrenees Frances Way ? I have had a problem with higher altitudes. If you did, what did you do to alleviate the problem?

Thank You ... Joan (Sept 22, 2016 St. Jean)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I have never hear of altitude problems on the Camino. It goes to a maximum of around 4500 ft., and I think altitude sickness doesn't usually happen until 8000 ft.

Sure you will be breathing hard because you are working hard going up hill. To alleviate that, walk more slowly, stop frequently, and don't try to talk while you walk.:)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Welcome Joan!

While there are some reports of people suffering altitude sickness at relatively low altitudes, if you have flown in a commercial jet with no ill effects you will be fine. The pressurised air in the cabin is at an altitude higher than anything on the Camino and for a much longer duration. I always take my pulse oximeter on flights (measures blood oxygen saturation) and it's interesting to see the different readings on various airlines.

If you are particularly sensitive to height pressure changes while hiking, just use the 'go slow and steady' Sherpa method and ensure that you are well hydrated ie adequate fluid intake before you start.

My husband suffers dreadfully from altitude sickness as low as 2000m so I fully understand your concerns. He was absolutely fine on all the climbs from St Jean all the Way to Santiago.

Buen Camino!

Go Well and let us know how you fare.

Maxium altitude in the "route Napoleon" to Roncesvalles is 1500 m. The climb is tough but gradual. I have never heard about altitude sickness on this route, but I suppose it could be different to people with the particular problems.
An alternative would be the lower or Valcarlos route, which has also its fans. The maximum is 1000 m.
You can see the graphics here

As my tag line says...It's not your Altitude, it's your Attitude! Heh heh heh. Seriously tho. You shouldn't have a problem. It's not that high. Just stay hydrated, and rest if you're feeling queasy. Otherwise, Bien Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Welcome Joan!

While there are some reports of people suffering altitude sickness at relatively low altitudes, if you have flown in a commercial jet with no ill effects you will be fine. The pressurised air in the cabin is at an altitude higher than anything on the Camino and for a much longer duration. I always take my pulse oximeter on flights (measures blood oxygen saturation) and it's interesting to see the different readings on various airlines.

If you are particularly sensitive to height pressure changes while hiking, just use the 'go slow and steady' Sherpa method and ensure that you are well hydrated ie adequate fluid intake before you start.

My husband suffers dreadfully from altitude sickness as low as 2000m so I fully understand your concerns. He was absolutely fine on all the climbs from St Jean all the Way to Santiago.

Buen Camino!

Go Well and let us know how you fare.

Thank You Meri !!! I will let you know how I do. I am a retired Flight Attendant and had no problems but ... one time we went to the Grand Canyon on vacation with an altitude of just over 5000 feet and I had trouble breathing. Of course panic sets in and makes everything worse. Perhaps even worse was not knowing what caused it all, so now I am cautious.
Buen Camino Meri

The highest point you will cross is 1420 m / 4659 ft just take your time and you will be fine ;-) What will make you breathless is that you start from 163 m (SJPdP) and the glorious views (weather permitting ;-) Buen Camino, SY

One of the components in altitude sickness is the amount of time you spend at the higher elevation. You will only be spending a couple of hours above 1,200m and by the time you reach Roncesvalles you will be back under 1,000m. Even for someone with a heightened (no pun intended :) ) susceptibility to altitude, I wouldn't think there would be a problem.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The highest point on the entire Camino Frances route is at Cruz de Ferro (the iron Cross on the telephone pole where folks leave stones). This has an altitude above sea level of 1,505 meters (@ 4,950 feet ASL).

However, for many pilgrims, the first day out of St. Jean Pied de Port is the most challenging, even though this summit is not the highest you will encounter along this route. I suspect it is precisely because it is on the very first day you start out. Cruz de Ferro is a good three-to-four weeks later in your Camino. Also, the ascent is less severe than the first 3-4 hours out of St. Jean PdP.

As others have said, it is less an issue than commercial flying. The only issue is that you have to walk with your rucksack on your back to arrive there. THAT might cause intense breathing.

If you have any respiratory condition, or are not fully trained, just take it slow and be prepared. Stop as often as you feel the need. This is NOT a race. It is not an Olympic event.

As a "stocky" mid-60s guy, I find myself hacking up my lungs at the Napoleon Pass in the beginning, and at the other few challenging inclines. When I stop to catch my breath and others ask me if I am okay, I just tell them I am waiting for my two companions "Tweedle Dee and Tweedle Dum" to catch up to me.

That is what I playfully call my lungs... I explain that they are two squishy red bags with tiny legs slowly making their way up the hill behind me... The native English speakers find it amusing. The others are perplexed. In any event, once "the boys" catch-up, we are on our way once again...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have walked twice. In 2011, I wasn't fit after a car accident 3 years earlier (but determined). I stayed at Hunto and Orisson which meant 3 days to cross Pyrenees (I struggled on the last day, but I did it). This could assist you too, if you are concerned, because you are doing it gradually in stages. Each day you are starting at a higher level, so less effort needed to accomplish the whole section. Also, you could walk to Orisson (book) and if concerned they'll organise for Bouricott Express to return you to SJPdP to walk Valcarlos Route, or onto Roncesvalles, the next day. Consider walking that section without your backpack. (Bourricot Express) It would mean less effort as you won't have that additional weight, but ensure you've still prepared for weather and food/water. I'd had asthma years earlier so I remember stopping (every few metres at one steep stage) whenever I wanted, relaxed, took a small sip of water, and ensured that I didn't get stressed. I also used walking poles, which provided me with physical support which meant less effort. Lots to look at from up there. In 2015, I stopped Orisson and arranged for my backpack to be transferred the second day. Made a big difference. You are the only one who knows yourself and your capabilities. If concerned talk with your health professionals to talk about them. Perhaps you can carry something that you'd have with you for the unforeseen. Buen Camino.

St. Jean to Roncesvalles is made much harder by:
1. It is the first day and most people are not yet fit.
2. Most are overloaded and will begin to discard things at the first stop. They will leave behind things like sleep pads, cosmetics, hairdryers??, etc. They will mail other things onto Santiago.
3. They are also overloaded with fear due to the constant myth of "crossing the mountain". As others have posted above...it is not even the highest point on the camino.
4. Most people (other than those who read the forum and Facebook) walk to Roncesvalles in one day. Orisson has very limited bed space and only a very small fraction of the daily pilgrims can stay there.
5. Don't let worry and fear make it harder. You actually CAN make it fairly easy. The more you train for the proper distance and incline..the easier it will be.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St. Jean to Roncesvalles is made much harder by:
1. It is the first day and most people are not yet fit.
2. Most are overloaded and will begin to discard things at the first stop. They will leave behind things like sleep pads, cosmetics, hairdryers??, etc. They will mail other things onto Santiago.
3. They are also overloaded with fear due to the constant myth of "crossing the mountain". As others have posted above...it is not even the highest point on the camino.
4. Most people (other than those who read the forum and Facebook) walk to Roncesvalles in one day. Orisson has very limited bed space and only a very small fraction of the daily pilgrims can stay there.
5. Don't let worry and fear make it harder. You actually CAN make it fairly easy. The more you train for the proper distance and incline..the easier it will be.

We are stopping at Orisson, we have reservations. We have been training since May of this year.:) I hope this will prevent any issues, but it's good to prepare for the worst and expect the best.

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back