A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Any chances to volunteer at albergues?

Sunkyung kim

Camino(s) past & future
I did about 10 years ago and I wanna come back to do again in this year.
Hello I am from Korea
And I have done this about 10 years ago.
I met a lot of people from all around the world and had the greatest experience.

I would like to come back in this year.
If it is possible, I wanna do volunteering at ablegues.

I have an experience in housekeeping
And I do have a massage skill which help the tired pilgrims with legs and feet problems.

I can speak some English and basic Spanish. My English is better than Spanish. I am trying to improve my languages.😂

If anyone knows how to find albergues where need some help, could you please let me know? I will be really appreciate that.

Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006,08,09,11,12(2),13(2),14,16(2),18(2) Aragones 11,12,VDLP 11,13,Lourdes 12,Malaga 16,Port 06
Hello I am from Korea
And I have done this about 10 years ago.
I met a lot of people from all around the world and had the greatest experience.

I would like to come back in this year.
If it is possible, I wanna do volunteering at ablegues.

I have an experience in housekeeping
And I do have a massage skill which help the tired pilgrims with legs and feet problems.

I can speak some English and basic Spanish. My English is better than Spanish. I am trying to improve my languages.😂

If anyone knows how to find albergues where need some help, could you please let me know? I will be really appreciate that.
You might send Rebekah Scott a PM. She has an albergue at Moratinos and also works with the volunteers for San Anton - a WONDERFUL experience!

IngridF

Intrepid Peregrina
Camino(s) past & future
2012, 2015 ,2017, 2019
You might want to look at the thread Looking to volunteering/ searching for volunteers. Lots of info there.

eddwillwee

Camino(s) past & future
Various
Hi Sunkyung,
besides volunteering opportunities at albergues run by various national confraternities of St James that you can contact directly, there are also the possibilities to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office at St Jean Pied de Port (if you speak some French) or at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago de Compostela (if you speak some Spanish). Info for the latter can be found here:

I have done this before and there appears to be an increase in numbers of pilgrims from South Korea but few, if any, Korean-speaking volunteers.

My friend t2andreo, a former member of this forum, has been a SdC PO volunteer for many years and he has made it his personal mission to try to recruit Korean speakers.

Personally for me, when I was volunteering there in August last year, we had a group of more than 20 Korean pilgrims arrive. While we had no problem gleaning the required info from their credencials for writing out their compostelas, we were unable to offer any warm welcome by way of conversation.

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
Hi Sunkyung,
besides volunteering opportunities at albergues run by various national confraternities of St James that you can contact directly, there are also the possibilities to volunteer at the Pilgrim Office at St Jean Pied de Port (if you speak some French) or at the Pilgrim Office at Santiago de Compostela (if you speak some Spanish). Info for the latter can be found here:

I have done this before and there appears to be an increase in numbers of pilgrims from South Korea but few, if any, Korean-speaking volunteers.

My friend t2andreo, a former member of this forum, has been a SdC PO volunteer for many years and he has made it his personal mission to try to recruit Korean speakers.

Personally for me, when I was volunteering there in August last year, we had a group of more than 20 Korean pilgrims arrive. While we had no problem gleaning the required info from their credencials for writing out their compostelas, we were unable to offer any warm welcome by way of conversation.
@Sunkyung kim If you want to follow up with t2andreo because you are interested in possibly volunteering at the Pilgrim Office in Santiago de Compostela, but can't because he is no longer a member of this forum, PM me here and I can probably connect the two of you.

mimmi.valente

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugués
Camino Francés
Hi @Sunkyung kim ! I was a volunteer in Albergue Orión in Castrojeriz in October. One of the owners is from South Korea. I spent a beautiful time there! I found them on Workaway. Maybe you can try by it or by contacting them directly. Could be they are searching volunteers :)
Good luck!🤞
(If you don't find anything, keep in touch because could also be I need a volunteer but not now, maybe in summer time. I'm going to start to manage an albergue from April more or less, but I don't know at the moment if I will need volunteers).

gerip

Camino(s) past & future
CF, Lourdes to Burgos, Oct 2018
CF, Burgos to Santiago, May 2019
Ingles, Sep - Oct 2019

If you go to the web address above the organisation ACC is recruiting for volunteers for the albergues they manage as well as the pilgrim office. From what I could tell they are pretty desperate for Korean speakers.

Kanga

Staff member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés x 5, Le Puy x 2, Arles, Tours, Norte, Madrid, Via de la Plata, Portuguese, Primitivo
Hi @Sunkyung kim ! I was a volunteer in Albergue Orión in Castrojeriz in October. One of the owners is from South Korea.
If the albergue is a commercial venture - then this forum is not the place to recruit free labour. It is a violation of Spanish labour law. it is different for “Donativo” or not-for-profit ventures - usually run by Camino organisations, church or municipal authorities.

The albergue mentioned above seems to be a commercial, for profit, venture.

mimmi.valente

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugués
Camino Francés
If the albergue is a commercial venture - then this forum is not the place to recruit free labour. It is a violation of Spanish labour law. it is different for “Donativo” or not-for-profit ventures - usually run by Camino organisations, church or municipal authorities.

The albergue mentioned above seems to be a commercial, for profit, venture.
Yes it is. And I have written that they search using Workaway. They don't want to search using this forum. If you think my comment isn't correct or allowed here I immediately delete it. It wasn't my aim to create problems.

Get on our Mailing list for new products on the Camino Store and news from the Camino Forum

Advertisement

Booking.com

Camino Conversations

Camino Conversations

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

Most downloaded Resources

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 16 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 10 0.8%
  • March

Votes: 55 4.2%
  • April

Votes: 197 15.0%
  • May

Votes: 325 24.8%
  • June

Votes: 95 7.3%
  • July

Votes: 24 1.8%
  • August

Votes: 27 2.1%
  • September

Votes: 379 28.9%
  • October

Votes: 158 12.1%
  • November

Votes: 17 1.3%
  • December

Votes: 7 0.5%

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock