• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any credit cards?

heatherrnw

Time of past OR future Camino
Past: April 2012; Future: June/July 2017
I am curious if you can use any type of credit card. I will have cash and use cash machines, but I know there are some places that do take credit cards. Do they have to be a certain type? Like with a chip or only from Europe?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I used my credit cards from a US bank while on the Camino. Mine have a chip, but don't have a PIN.

hotels and some of the casa reals or more upscale allergies will sometimes take credit, but for the other 89% of the time it is all cash based. smaller bills are ideal due to the cheapness of everything...5-7 euros for municipals 10-13 for albergues and cafe con leches! i used an atm whenever i could find one took out 250 euros and then walked on. it will last for 10 days so plenty of time to walk through another bigger town that has an atm.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Visa and Mastercard are the most likely to be accepted. You can use cards with a chip or with a magnetic stripe - the terminals can accept both. For a chip, it is usually a slot on the bottom of the machine, for magnetic stripe, it is usually a slide along the side. If you have a magnetic stripe card, you may have to point out the slide on the side of the machine to the person processing the card - sometimes people don't know how to process since they aren't common in Europe anymore. If you have a chip and signature card, which most US cards are now, you will press Enter when prompted for a PIN and a receipt will be printed for you to sign.

If you are planning to use your credit cards to even an ATM card in Europe, make sure your bank is aware of this, so they don't accidentally lock your accounts.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
If you are planning to use your credit cards to even ATM card in Europe, make sure your bank is aware of this, so they don't accidentally lock your accounts.
Many credit card no longer require you give them the heads up when travelling. That is the case with TD.

Most places still won't take American Express, so it will be good to stick with Visa or Mastercard. And - I don't know if this has changed at all - we once used our credit cards - instead of our debit cards - to withdraw cash from an ATM in Europe. Big mistake! We didn't know it but the bank started charging interest right away on our "loan", and we received a large credit card bill later that month. We vowed never to do that again.

Also, in Spain, if you use your credit card at a vendor (store, restaurant, etc) they will ask you if it's PIN or "firma" (signature). If your card doesn't have a PIN, you'll say "firma" and then they'll ask to see your ID (passport should be fine). They are very consistent about checking your ID here, so you can be prepared for that.

Buen Camino!

I am curious if you can use any type of credit card. I will have cash and use cash machines, but I know there are some places that do take credit cards. Do they have to be a certain type? Like with a chip or only from Europe?
I have travelled across most of Western Europe and about the only credit card problem I had was with the Real Madrid Club store in Madrid - who would not accept my AMEX card, but they were happy to accept the Master Card so it may have been an issue with the AMEX fees rather than a general credit card ban. (BTW when I posted on a similar subject a year ago the pro-AMEX/con-AMEX responses were about even).

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I used my credit cards from a US bank while on the Camino. Mine have a chip, but don't have a PIN.
MMMM - a chip but no PIN. Would you mind explaining how this works?
Here in Oz (Australia) we went the other way - about 12-15 months ago it became mandatory for all credit card purchases (and I think Debit cards as well) to be completed via the use of a PIN - 4 or 6 digits. We also have "pay-wave" for those that like it (not me) for purchases up to $100.
Cheers

Most places still won't take American Express, so it will be good to stick with Visa or Mastercard. And - I don't know if this has changed at all - we once used our credit cards - instead of our debit cards - to withdraw cash from an ATM in Europe. Big mistake! We didn't know it but the bank started charging interest right away on our "loan", and we received a large credit card bill later that month. We vowed never to do that again.

It would have been the same if you had used your credit card at an ATM in the US. It's considered a cash advance, and they begin charging interest the minute you take out the money

MMMM - a chip but no PIN. Would you mind explaining how this works?
Here in Oz (Australia) we went the other way - about 12-15 months ago it became mandatory for all credit card purchases (and I think Debit cards as well) to be completed via the use of a PIN - 4 or 6 digits. We also have "pay-wave" for those that like it (not me) for purchases up to $100.
Cheers

I don't know why we haven't gone to chip and PIN here, but while debit cards have PINs, most credit cards don't, even with the chip. Depending on the merchant, we need to sign for CC purchases in the US. Many stores will have a limit. For instance, at Costco, you don't have to sign if your purchase is under around $100. I don't know the exact amount. Other stores it's $50, etc.

It would have been the same if you had used your credit card at an ATM in the US. It's considered a cash advance, and they begin charging interest the minute you take out the money

Yes, sorry for any confusion. Since we always used our debit card in the US to withdraw money from that bank's ATMs, I never even thought about credit card cash advances until that trip in Europe. But it makes sense that it's a cash advance everywhere.

Also, in Spain, if you use your credit card at a vendor (store, restaurant, etc) they will ask you if it's PIN or "firma" (signature). If your card doesn't have a PIN, you'll say "firma" and then they'll ask to see your ID (passport should be fine). They are very consistent about checking your ID here, so you can be prepared for that.

Buen Camino!
I spent 3 1/2 weeks in spain last May and no one ever asked me for ID. Nor did they ask me if I had a pin. They seemed to just know that American CC are chip and signature :)

A selection of Camino Jewellery
My credit card must be special. I took money out of an ATM on my credit card by accident. I got distracted and pulled it out instead of my Schwab debit card. I realized as soon as I was done. I paid the card the same day (or maybe it was the next day) and never saw an interest charge. Or any fee given I don't incur foreign transaction fees. I have no intention of testing it again, though.

This is from TD's Help section on their website

https://www.tdbank.com/faqs/faqs_intl_indiv.html#traveling
Well maybe they have not updated their website because now when you call to let them know you are leaving the voice tells you it is no longer necessary to so. So even if you do call, they don't want to speak to you telling you that their new IT system is so great you don't need to warn them.

Last edited by a moderator:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Well maybe they have not updated their website because now when you call to let them know you are leaving the voice tells you it is no linger necessary to so. So even if you do call, they don't want to speak to you telling you that their new IT system is so great you don't need to warn them.

You are correct

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/m/credit-acc-mgmt/setup-a-travel-notification.jsp

My Canadian bank capped the withdrawals limits to my account even after I told them I would be in Europe. They apologized and even paid for the long distance phone calls I had to make to get my accounts unlocked.'

Last edited:
More on the
Must be a TD bank thing. But you are correct

https://www.tdcanadatrust.com/m/credit-acc-mgmt/setup-a-travel-notification.jsp

My Canadian bank capped the withdrawals limits to my account even after I told them I would be in Europe. They apologized and even paid for the long distance phone calls I had to make to get my accounts unlocked.'

More on the same subject. Obviously some recent changes

http://canada.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/call-issuer-before-travel-1264/

hotels and some of the casa reals or more upscale allergies will sometimes take credit, but for the other 89% of the time it is all cash based. smaller bills are ideal due to the cheapness of everything...5-7 euros for municipals 10-13 for albergues and cafe con leches! i used an atm whenever i could find one took out 250 euros and then walked on. it will last for 10 days so plenty of time to walk through another bigger town that has an atm.
What about the allergies.?;)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I paid some by my knee making trouble on the Calzada after Carrion de los Condes, but allergies, nah!

Its a long and complicated story but it comes down to whether the banks or card issuers have to pay for fraud. The long and complicated story is told at https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2016/03/us-determined-to-have-the-least-secure-credit-cards-in-the-world/473199/ I have only one card that was setup with a PIN but it is one that I don't use so I haven't seen a credit card PIN in action.

One of the advantages of having 4 major nationwide banks (with 3 or 4 smaller regional banks) is that we have uniform legislation & operating procedures, so our credit and debit cards are fast becoming an alternative to cash. (Our banks being so large - both domestically & international - have been able to negotiate with Master Card and Visa so that they have very small service fees (the banks pay as little as 0.25/0.5%) and our merchants (shops etc) usually pay a service fee of less than 2%) which has encouraged the use of the cards.

The Gen Y/ Gen X brigade are tech savy and are happy to carry just their credit/debit cards and very little physical cash. Hence our widespread usage of 4 & 6 digit PINs and ALL our cards have micro chips.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Well maybe they have not updated their website because now when you call to let them know you are leaving the voice tells you it is no longer necessary to so. So even if you do call, they don't want to speak to you telling you that their new IT system is so great you don't need to warn them.

This reflects the difference between TDbank in the States and TDCanadaTrust in Canada

This reflects the difference between TDbank in the States and TDCanadaTrust in Canada
I assume if they've made the switch here at home that they will eventually get to making it down there.

Many places around the world will not accept Amex due to the high merchants fees.
I carry a debit card to withdraw cash using a PIN. I also carry a credit card for hotels etc and for emergencies. This also has a PIN and is linked to my cash account so I can use it if necessary for hotels etc, and also to withdraw cash FROM MY CASH ACCOUNT. At the ATM window tick cash, not credit, to avoid those rip-off interest charges. Talk to your bank about this system.
And of course tell them you are going to Europe.
On two occasions (not in Spain) I have had a stop put on my debit card by my bank when police raids on fraudsters have shown up my card number in the fraudsters lists. I did not lose any money. This is why I carry a backup to get cash.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
I'm looking for the best app to use whilst walking on the Camino. Usually I just rely on my Apple watch but I'm leaving that at home, so need an app use that I can pause at rest stops etc...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.