• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any Drinking Water Concerns?

Raz

Time of past OR future Camino
Gathering info for a future trip
Hello,
Will be commencing on my first Camino this fall. From everything that I have read, the drinking water is safe to drink untreated, and it is safe to fill up bottles from public fountains, cafes etc. found in towns and villages along the Camino Frances.
However, I recently spoke with someone who drank only bottled water that she bought.
Is it at all necessary to buy bottled water, to "treat" water with purification tablets, or to have a water bottle with a filter?
Since I wasn't able to find anything about this on this forum, I am assuming that the water is fine, just the way it is?
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or has had any unfortunate situations along the route that one should be aware of.
Thanks!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Fewer of the fountains guarantee that they provide safe water once you get to Galicia, and state on their signs that their safety is not guaranteed. But water in the pubs, hostels, etc. remains consistently fine all along the CF. Spouse carries a "life straw" only in case he runs out of water in a place where the only fountain is not guaranteed. If it says "non potable" he does not even use the straw (and neither should anyone try to use that water). The life straw removes the need for tablets and weighs very little, and does not "run out".
I drink very little water in general (I don't recommend this -- I have 3 kidneys and it complicates things). I get my water from fresh fruits, and from the other things I drink, so I don't even recall what I did in Galicia. I think I just stuck to my 2 litres of milk each day (plus coffees, OJ, and fresh fruit).
We were warned by a hospitalero in SJPDP not to use the fountains in Galicia. But again -- any bar will let you fill up when you buy your lunch and breakfast.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Tom North is right. The water's fine. I've walked 3 Camino's so far, starting the 4th one next week.
Always drank water at bars, albergues and fountains. Never had any problems.

But, if you're stomach is easily upset, you might choose bottled water. Otherwise, no problem.
About 20 million Spanish drink their water without having any problems, so I guess you'll be fine...

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hello,
Will be commencing on my first Camino this fall. From everything that I have read, the drinking water is safe to drink untreated, and it is safe to fill up bottles from public fountains, cafes etc. found in towns and villages along the Camino Frances.
However, I recently spoke with someone who drank only bottled water that she bought.
Is it at all necessary to buy bottled water, to "treat" water with purification tablets, or to have a water bottle with a filter?
Since I wasn't able to find anything about this on this forum, I am assuming that the water is fine, just the way it is?
Just wondering if anyone has any advice or has had any unfortunate situations along the route that one should be aware of.
Thanks!

The short answer is this - - - the water along the Camino is safe. I stewed over the issue too but opted to listen what fellow pilgrims said . . . the water from public fountains in the villages and town squares, bars and alburges is all safe. If the water is not potable, it will be marked accordingly. If you are ever in doubt, pass, portable water is never far from you. Be well.

Just one more voice to assure you that the water is OK. We three walked the entire CF two years ago and always used the water available at public fountains. Fountains that are not potable are well marked. As a reference I live in the Sierra Nevada foothills and our drinking water is snow melt. I know some folks from home, when they drink water which is very hard, experience gastro issues; but we did not.

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The water in Spain is fine to drink apparently... but I do get “controlled” diarrhoea when drinking the fountain water. I do have a sensitive tummy ... my daughter and sister were fine when they walked with me on separate occasions and, as far as I know, most pilgrims are ok drinking from certified fountains...

No,
no concerns, water is plentiful and safe to drink...

The water in Spain is fine to drink apparently... but I do get “controlled” diarrhoea when drinking the fountain water. I do have a sensitive tummy ... my daughter and sister were fine when they walked with me on separate occasions and, as far as I know, most pilgrims are ok drinking from certified fountains...

I thought I got light diarrhoea from drinking Spanish tap/fountain water, but it then turned out it was a reaction to the daily dose of magnesium I was taking while on the Camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
@Raz Good advice given here. Pay attention in Galicia; it is a heavily agricultural area, and the running water is not to be trusted. But for the fountains, if marked "potable" it should be safe.

On a personal note: All guidebooks emphasize the importance of carrying enough water. So I always carry two 1/2 l. bottles. And I stop at (the frequent) bars now and then for a pint of beer. Never had any stomach problems in 10 years on the Camino... In Santiago I empty the water bottles and get rid of them.

Last edited:
Last year the tap water on the middle section of the VdlP was definitely light brown. Usable for washing but not for drinking. In Galicia the water was ok again

Hello,
Thanks!

The water along the Camino is potable including village fountains, bars and alburges. If it is not, it will be so marked. I wrestled with this also and had zero problems. Put the issue behind you. One word of advice. As you know, water is heavy. With any number of opportunities to refill your bladder or bottles, there is no need to carry more than 1 or possibly two litters with you. Happy Trails

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I didn’t have any problems with water but I also never filled up at a fountain. I usually fill my bottles at the albergue in the monrning and supplement with Aquarius lemon after lunch. If I stopped for coffee and use the facilities I usually top up by asking the bar person to refill my bottle or buy another Aquarius. I also have a sawyer mini filter which attaches to my water bottles. Once a week I buy some cranberry juice (mom’s advise ) to help clean my kidneys, usually do that on a rest day as cranberry juice will make you pee more often.
Just be practical ...drink vino tinto and cereveza instead ;) I’m sure the alcohol will kill anything moving in The water or at least make the little buggers drunk enough to not matter hahhaha just joking

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If marked potable then the water is safe. If non-potable then unsafe. Water treatment on the non-potable water may get rid of bacteria and viruses but unfilterable toxins may still get through. If the water is marked as not guaranteed then you have to ask. Some villages mark it as not guaranteed to avoid the charges of having to get the water tested periodically.

I have found one or two fountains with no signs as to whether the water was drinkable or not, but generally they are signed. As a general rule (and there are exceptions to every rule), if the fountain is free-flowing it is probably non-potable. But if there is a tap, it is almost certainly potable. I stayed at an albergue in Sebrayo (Camino del Norte) where we were advised that the tap water in the albergue was not suitable for drinking. We were also asked to be economical with showers etc, as there was a water shortage in the area.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back