A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Any especially memorable Albergues on Camino Portuguese?

Camino Badges

Wanita

Camino(s) past & future
2017 500km of Camino Frances, 2018 Completion of Camino Frances,
July 11,2019 Camino Portuguese
I am starting the Camino Portuguese on July 11, 2019. When I did Camino Frances, there were some albergues that stood out from the others because of their communal dinners, singing nuns, potluck dinners etc. Are there any albergues on the centrale route from Lisbon to Porto that stand out as a must stay at? Also from Porto to Santiago on the Coastal route?

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
WOW - I started looking through my photos to remind myself and re-discovered we had some memorable food.

Just in case you can't tell what that is, let me copy and paste the description from our blog: Francesinha could be described as a toasted sandwich on steroids, but that really would be doing it a great disservice. It is true, you do start with two thickly sliced pieces of substantial sourdough bread. Between them you layer slices of ham and salami and sausage and a pork cutlet. On top of the sandwich go many slices of a rich cheese which all end up melted together. Just in case this is not rich enough on its own, it is served swimming in a rich creamy tomato sauce!

At the monastery at Vairao a Frenchman, Sebastian offered to cook us dinner. Can't guarantee that will happen for you.

Casa Fernanda:IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

This one was not with others, but we ate there at lunchtime and then the rest of the albergue went there in the evening and noone was disappointed. At Ponte de Lima...all I remember is it was a biggish restaurant near the river. We had looked round for a small "not touristy" place but they were all closed or not serving food at 3pm and we were ravenous. This was a three course meal for 6 euros - and not a fried potato in sight:
IMG_2711.JPG

Quinta Estrada Romana:
IMG_2739.JPG

At Arcade we were with mostly the same group who had been together the night before and we all decided to randomly go to the supermarket and make something to share. It turned out great. Fabulous albergue too (next to a hotel if that helps!)
IMG_2791.JPG

Not communal, but the thickest chocolate ever:

The monastery at Herbon. Definitely recommended.
IMG_2870.JPG

Then there's the story with loads of food pictures - worth reading so you don't fall into the same trap! https://charitywalking.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/camino-portuguese-xx/

And don't forget port in Porto and sweet treats everywhere:

You really can't go wrong on the Portugues;-)

FLEUR

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances 2012 - 2016
Voie de Paris / Tours Aulnay to Saintes 2017
Camino del Baztan 2018
Casa de Matriz in Fao. Lovely place run by a very sweet lady Rita. No evening meal but several places to eat in Fao.
Casa Gwendoline Vila Nova de Cerveira
Padron: Albergue Cruces de Iria. A really good Albergue run by Hector. Don't miss his 4 p.m. talk most informative. No evening meal but possibility to cook or you can buy a tortilla and beers from him.

Last edited:

Camino Chrissy

Take one step forward...then keep on walking.
Camino(s) past & future
Frances 2015;
Norte/Primitivo 2016;
Frances 2017;
Le Puy 2018;
Portuguese/FishermanTr. 2019
My favorites from my walk last month...

*Fishtail Sea House- Matosinhos
*Venceslau Wine Boutique Hostel- Vila do Condo
*Terraco da Vila- Ponta de Lima
*Inn Barcelos Hostel- Barcelos
*Casa da Chausa- Combarro

Last edited:

Loly

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Portugues,
I am starting the Camino Portuguese on July 11, 2019. When I did Camino Frances, there were some albergues that stood out from the others because of their communal dinners, singing nuns, potluck dinners etc. Are there any albergues on the centrale route from Lisbon to Porto that stand out as a must stay at? Also from Porto to Santiago on the Coastal route?
I recommend Quinta da Burra at Porto de Muge, Paula is an excellent host, lovely dinner and breakfast. Casa de Azzancha, in Azinhaga, lovely house, dinner, breakfast, hospitality. Casa de Fernanda at Lugar do Corgo. Excellent dinner, breakfast and divine hospitality.

lindam

Camino(s) past & future
Frances, Via de La Plata, Portuguese, Camino Ingles, Fisterra, Muxia, Catalan and Aragones, Norte
We enjoyed Casa Laura in Vilarinho. Small, but clean and very welcoming. Complimentary port and biscuits served in the garden in the evening. Also, big thumbs up for this albergue in Porto: https://albergueperegrinosporto.pt/portfolio/out-accommodation. Beautiful space, great kitchen, peaceful garden (with produce for pilgrims) with cats and very gracious host, Miguel.

elizason

Camino(s) past & future
Lisbon- Santiago Sept-Oct 2015
If you stop in the town/city of Albergaria-a-Velha....there is a very nice albergue and a wonderful restaurante.
I walked past it at lunch hour, saw it was full of locals and the food looked amazing !
Well, that evening about 8 new pilgrims went for a fantastic low cost dinner.
It did help that I speak Portuguese, because they made off the menu requests. Nonetheless, you will be pleased with the quality, price and service. Wonderful local place.
Albergue de Peregrinos Rainha Da Teresa ( on FB )
Restauante Sal e Pimento largo da Misericordia
Enjoy this fabulous Caminho
Eliza

Terry Callery

Chi Walker
Camino(s) past & future
"Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Amazon/Kindle books authored
"Slow Camino"
O Ninho was easily the funkiest and most welcoming albergue I stayed at on my journey. Translated from the Portuguese, it means “the bird’s nest,” and the word is used in the vernacular to express an affectionate connection with one’s home. There were a number of lodging options in the town of Rubiães, but O Ninho came recommended, in part, due to the hands-on involvement of the owner. Marlene was the ultimate New Age woman, and her interest in all things metaphysical, especially Eastern philosophy, was manifested in inspirational posters pinned up around the albergue. One such poster urged pilgrims to “Learn to trust the journey, even when you do not understand it.” There were seventeen beds available in the lovely little fieldstone building, and when I arrived there were two young German women who had taken beds in the larger albergue room. I ended up with a bed costing fifteen euros in a small three-bed suite that I had to myself. Outside the albergue there was a tall signpost that had the following words, each painted on its own board, nailed to the post: “Nest, Courage, Wild Side, Bird Soul, and Freedom.”

Waiting for my laundry to dry, I had a chance to talk with Marlene, whose English was fairly good. She had done a number of pilgrimages and seemed to enjoy Socratic dialogues with her pilgrim guests. I told her about the book I had written, and I elaborated on how I tried to follow the advice of the Trappist monk Thomas Merton to “take more time and cover less ground.” We discussed how my spirituality manifested in a never-ending questioning and curiosity, and I told her about my Easter egg experiences that were like eating a fresh, juicy peach.

Marlene seemed to like this, and she said something to me I will never forget: “My first Camino was just an adventure, you know, a schoolgirl getting away from home, but the pilgrimages that followed were deeply transformational. On these pilgrimages I was making the inner journey along with the physical one. Every day increased my sense of wonder. After several weeks of mindful walking, I seemed to reach a higher consciousness. I would look at the mountain stream or the vineyard or the olive orchard and get this powerful feeling. It was a grand sense of wonder.”

From "Portuguese Camino - In Search of the Infinite Moment" Terence Callery

Galloglaigh

Camino(s) past & future
Member of the Lycra tribe.
CF (2017/8), VF (2018/9), CP (2020)
Caminos affect us in different ways. Those custard tarts, for example, look excellent.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Latest posts

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 41 3.9%
  • April

Votes: 158 15.2%
  • May

Votes: 259 25.0%