• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any especially memorable Albergues on Camino Portuguese?

Wanita

Time of past OR future Camino
2017 500km of Camino Frances, 2018 Completion of Camino Frances,
July 11,2019 Camino Portuguese
I am starting the Camino Portuguese on July 11, 2019. When I did Camino Frances, there were some albergues that stood out from the others because of their communal dinners, singing nuns, potluck dinners etc. Are there any albergues on the centrale route from Lisbon to Porto that stand out as a must stay at? Also from Porto to Santiago on the Coastal route?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
WOW - I started looking through my photos to remind myself and re-discovered we had some memorable food.

Just in case you can't tell what that is, let me copy and paste the description from our blog: Francesinha could be described as a toasted sandwich on steroids, but that really would be doing it a great disservice. It is true, you do start with two thickly sliced pieces of substantial sourdough bread. Between them you layer slices of ham and salami and sausage and a pork cutlet. On top of the sandwich go many slices of a rich cheese which all end up melted together. Just in case this is not rich enough on its own, it is served swimming in a rich creamy tomato sauce!

At the monastery at Vairao a Frenchman, Sebastian offered to cook us dinner. Can't guarantee that will happen for you.

Casa Fernanda:IMG_2682.JPG

IMG_2684.JPG

This one was not with others, but we ate there at lunchtime and then the rest of the albergue went there in the evening and noone was disappointed. At Ponte de Lima...all I remember is it was a biggish restaurant near the river. We had looked round for a small "not touristy" place but they were all closed or not serving food at 3pm and we were ravenous. This was a three course meal for 6 euros - and not a fried potato in sight:
IMG_2711.JPG

Quinta Estrada Romana:
IMG_2739.JPG

At Arcade we were with mostly the same group who had been together the night before and we all decided to randomly go to the supermarket and make something to share. It turned out great. Fabulous albergue too (next to a hotel if that helps!)
IMG_2791.JPG

Not communal, but the thickest chocolate ever:

The monastery at Herbon. Definitely recommended.
IMG_2870.JPG

Then there's the story with loads of food pictures - worth reading so you don't fall into the same trap! https://charitywalking.wordpress.com/2015/06/19/camino-portuguese-xx/

And don't forget port in Porto and sweet treats everywhere:

You really can't go wrong on the Portugues;-)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Casa de Matriz in Fao. Lovely place run by a very sweet lady Rita. No evening meal but several places to eat in Fao.
Casa Gwendoline Vila Nova de Cerveira
Padron: Albergue Cruces de Iria. A really good Albergue run by Hector. Don't miss his 4 p.m. talk most informative. No evening meal but possibility to cook or you can buy a tortilla and beers from him.

Last edited:
My favorites from my walk last month...

*Fishtail Sea House- Matosinhos
*Venceslau Wine Boutique Hostel- Vila do Condo
*Terraco da Vila- Ponta de Lima
*Inn Barcelos Hostel- Barcelos
*Casa da Chausa- Combarro

Last edited:
I am starting the Camino Portuguese on July 11, 2019. When I did Camino Frances, there were some albergues that stood out from the others because of their communal dinners, singing nuns, potluck dinners etc. Are there any albergues on the centrale route from Lisbon to Porto that stand out as a must stay at? Also from Porto to Santiago on the Coastal route?
I recommend Quinta da Burra at Porto de Muge, Paula is an excellent host, lovely dinner and breakfast. Casa de Azzancha, in Azinhaga, lovely house, dinner, breakfast, hospitality. Casa de Fernanda at Lugar do Corgo. Excellent dinner, breakfast and divine hospitality.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
We enjoyed Casa Laura in Vilarinho. Small, but clean and very welcoming. Complimentary port and biscuits served in the garden in the evening. Also, big thumbs up for this albergue in Porto: https://albergueperegrinosporto.pt/portfolio/out-accommodation. Beautiful space, great kitchen, peaceful garden (with produce for pilgrims) with cats and very gracious host, Miguel.

If you stop in the town/city of Albergaria-a-Velha....there is a very nice albergue and a wonderful restaurante.
I walked past it at lunch hour, saw it was full of locals and the food looked amazing !
Well, that evening about 8 new pilgrims went for a fantastic low cost dinner.
It did help that I speak Portuguese, because they made off the menu requests. Nonetheless, you will be pleased with the quality, price and service. Wonderful local place.
Albergue de Peregrinos Rainha Da Teresa ( on FB )
Restauante Sal e Pimento largo da Misericordia
Enjoy this fabulous Caminho
Eliza

Caminos affect us in different ways. Those custard tarts, for example, look excellent.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back