• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any etymologists want some fun?

Tincatinker

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I was musing on the meaning of Camino - road; path; journey: and then journey and its sense of transition and then I hit an earlier meaning for camino - furnace.

I thought of Vulcan and his forge and Hephaestus and their works wrought by the fires of change. Providing strength and protection as well as vengeance and savage change.

And that led me to my own traditions. Samhain comes and it is time for my passage through fire to the new year and the new life. A short journey through liminal space. Yet the space I walk into through those flames is the space i have always habited.

And that led me back to the Camino and the expectations that so many of us lay upon it: Of transition to a new and different life. New beginnings. In this same world.

The musings of an old pagan at the turning of the year. Blessings upon you all.

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I was musing on the meaning of Camino - road; path; journey: and then journey and its sense of transition and then I hit an earlier meaning for camino - furnace.

I thought of Vulcan and his forge and Hephaestus and their works wrought by the fires of change. Providing strength and protection as well as vengeance and savage change.

And that led me to my own traditions. Samhain comes and it is time for my passage through fire to the new year and the new life. A short journey through liminal space. Yet the space I walk into through those flames is the space i have always habited.

And that led me back to the Camino and the expectations that so many of lay upon it: Of transition to a new and different life. New beginnings. In this same world.

The musings of an old pagan at the turning of the year. Blessings upon you all.

Thanks. Think it is a first. Blessing from a pagan. An old pagan...

Vulcan was certainly stoking his forge while I crossed the Meseta ! hot 1.jpg Hot 2.jpg

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
In my teens I was fascinated by Greek mythology, so a lot of that old knowledge popped back up when you mentioned Hephaestus, the lame blacksmith of the gods. In particular the bit where he made and used the chains to bind Prometheus to a rock.

Prometheus, that old Titan, who created humans and out of compassion and pity for mankind stole fire from the sun and gave it to us. For which he was punished severely: cast down and chained to that rock, an eagle sent by Zeus ate his liver. Overnight his liver would grow back, but after every new dawn the eagle would return.

I was always struck by the similarities of that story and the story of Lucifer (light-bringer), the archangel, who was cast from heaven for his own brand of defiance. Fire and light, always have been and always will be potent themes.

Incidentally: did you know that St. James is the patron saint of blacksmiths?

Incidentally: did you know that St. James is the patron saint of blacksmiths?
I didn't know that, and we English Catholics venerate St Dunstan as the patron of blacksmiths. He was a Saxon archbishop of Canterbury a bit after King Alfred, and, as a young monk was responsible for shoeing horses at Glastonbury Abbey. One day the devil passed by and had his horses shod, and then tried to skip off without paying. Dunstan used his red hot pincers to grab the devil by the nose, making the devil scream (audible 3 miles away) at which point he decided to pay up after all. This is thought to be the origin of the phrase making somebody "pay through the nose".

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Samhain is an old Irish Gaelic Celtic word. Other Celts pronounce it differently like in In Scottish Gaelic, the autumn festival is called Samhuinn. In Manx it is Sauin.The Celts believed that the passage of a day began with darkness and progressed into the light. The same notion explains why Winter – the season of long, dark nights – marked the beginning of the year and progressed into the lighter days of Spring, Summer and Autumn. So the 1st of November, Samhain, was the Celtic New Year, and the celebrations began at sunset of the day before ie its Eve.
The original Celtic year

• Imbolc: 1st February
  • Beltaine: 1st May
  • Lughnasa: 1st August
  • Samhain: 1st November

Samhain is an old Irish Gaelic Celtic word. Other Celts pronounce it differently like in In Scottish Gaelic, the autumn festival is called Samhuinn. In Manx it is Sauin.The Celts believed that the passage of a day began with darkness and progressed into the light. The same notion explains why Winter – the season of long, dark nights – marked the beginning of the year and progressed into the lighter days of Spring, Summer and Autumn. So the 1st of November, Samhain, was the Celtic New Year, and the celebrations began at sunset of the day before ie its Eve.
The original Celtic year

• Imbolc: 1st February
  • Beltaine: 1st May
  • Lughnasa: 1st August
  • Samhain: 1st November
Love me some Gaelic!!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back