• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any first timer tips?

andres garcia jr

Time of past OR future Camino
May 2018
Hello everyone! Me and my girlfriend will be doing our first camino this May 2018 starting from Astroga. Any tips for first timers? Like how big of a backpack to take? How many pairs of clothes? We've been reading books but honestly been a little overwhelmed with all the information. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I'm first timing too! starting in April, i don't plan on taking much more than 3-4 sets of clothing, sleeping bag and some basic toiletries, bit of first aid and spare shoes. i'd probably take less but i'm continuing on through Portugal and back up the middle of Spain afterwards. I'm also taking a fairly large pack around 60ltr i think, but it will be mostly empty (i have a tendency to obtain things along the way thus the need for space ;P).
So probably not much help so mainly i'll just follow this tread :)

Hello everyone! Me and my girlfriend will be doing our first camino this May 2018 starting from Astroga. Any tips for first timers? Like how big of a backpack to take? How many pairs of clothes? We've been reading books but honestly been a little overwhelmed with all the information. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.
Great city. Take time to see the Episcopal Palace. We did 6 weeks with two sets of walking clothes and something to wear at night. Spend good money on high quality clothes and shoes. Quality is more important than quantity. 480 miles and not one blister, but had great socks and high quality shoes. Most importantly dont be overwhelmed. The way is very well marked. Stores and lodging are frequent. Many walkers so you are rarely feeling alone. Use the quidebooks for information, but find your own comfortable daily walk distance. Dont feel compelled to follow segments as dictated by guidebooks. A smartphone with booking.com is your friend. Take the time to meet people. The people you will meet and share meals with in many respects ARE the Camino. Finally, when you have a particularly rough day, and you will, take the night and rest before making a decision. Everything is better the next morning. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I'm first timing too! starting in April, i don't plan on taking much more than 3-4 sets of clothing, sleeping bag and some basic toiletries, bit of first aid and spare shoes. i'd probably take less but i'm continuing on through Portugal and back up the middle of Spain afterwards. I'm also taking a fairly large pack around 60ltr i think, but it will be mostly empty (i have a tendency to obtain things along the way thus the need for space ;P).

Thanks for the response! We are taking a 60 liter osprey backpack. Thanks for the tip about the clothes i'm sure we were going to take more than 3 sets lol.

Great city. Take time to see the Episcopal Palace. We did 6 weeks with two sets of walking clothes and something to wear at night. Spend good money on high quality clothes and shoes. Quality is more important than quantity. 480 miles and not one blister, but had great socks and high quality shoes. Most importantly dont be overwhelmed. The way is very well marked. Stores and lodging are frequent. Many walkers so you are rarely feeling alone. Use the quidebooks for information, but find your own comfortable daily walk distance. Dont feel compelled to follow segments as dictated by guidebooks. A smartphone with booking.com is your friend. Take the time to meet people. The people you will meet and share meals with in many respects ARE the Camino. Finally, when you have a particularly rough day, and you will, take the night and rest before making a decision. Everything is better the next morning. Buen Camino.

Thanks for the help we greatly appreciate it any recommendations on the shoes and socks? I had some boots i used for the Salkantay trek in Peru but did get blisters along the way. I'LL definitely not the episcopal palace. Cell phone service from the usa would be available in Spain?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Astorga is a beautiful place to start. One change of clothes and perhaps nightwear is sufficient. Like @trecile I pack an extra pair of socks and undies because they are handy for rainy days. I stay in albergues and always walk with a lightweight sleeping bag.
Buen camino
Edit: Realised I had put two changes of clothes when I really meant two walking outfits which would be one change of clothes. Sorry, I’ve amended my original post.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help we greatly appreciate it any recommendations on the shoes and socks? I had some boots i used for the Salkantay trek in Peru but did get blisters along the way. I'LL definitely not the episcopal palace. Cell phone service from the usa would be available in Spain?
I wore thin Injinji sock liners (toe socks) with a good pair of Smartwool over top. Boots are Keen. Wife wore same sock combo with Salomon low top hiking shoes. International cell service was available but expensive, but WIFI was everywhere so could check at most towns, bars, albergues, hotels, etc. Boots must fit well and you should make sure they dont slip. Get fitted at some place like REI where you can see how they fit going both up slope and down. REI has very good boot return policy so you dont have to be afraid of spending. You can walk 100 miles in a set of boots and return them if they are wrong. Also agree with @HedaP on extra undies and socks. Had 3 sets of these along with the 2 sets of clothes. Also recommend Smartwool merino wool Tshirts. Expensive, but wick sweat, wash easily, dry fast and dont stink. Never paid $75 for a tshirt before but was very glad I had them.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hi Andres, welcome to the forum!

As you are walking with your girlfriend, remember you can cut a lot of weight carrying just one unit of many things: one soap, one toothpaste, one comb, one bottle of sunscreen for you both to share. :)

Also, I always recommend people to take safety pins. The can be used in so many ways! For example, if my socks are still wet after washing, i pin them on the backpack and they dry while I walk. The safety pins were also good to hold a leg of my pants together, after ripping on the way.

I particularly think that a 60 liter pack is quite big (mine is 30L and my boyfriend 36L), but as long as you feel comfortable, go for it! In terms of clothes, I had in total (counting with the ones I was wearing):

3 tshirts (1 of them I used mostly as a pajama, but it was there in case it was needed to walk)
3 pairs of socks
3 underwear
1 trousers
1 shorts
1 cap
1 'puffy' jacket

Hope that helps. Have a great camino!

Two very light things that will make showering and laundry so much more comfortable and efficient . A twisted pegless elastic washing line , cut off the silly plastic hooks and replace them with a bit of bent coat hanger . With one of these you can hang clothes anywhere, balconies , trees , window sills and are almost guaranteed to find them in the morning .The other is a suction cup with a hook on , use this to hang your toiletry bag and clean clothes in the shower stall . They often never have shelves or hooks for bags , remember to take your money , phone and passport with you while you wash , No selfies though !:eek:

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hi Andres,

You're going to have a great time so don't stress too much. The only worry you're likely to have is what you're lugging around that you don't need rather than what you didn't bring, a mistake you'll realise a lot of people make when you see the tables of shiny new equipment abandoned at various albergues.

I'd say around a 40l pack is about right but people certainly manage with less. 90% of the walking is along well maintained paths so no need for heavy waling boots.

There's also lots of very good packing guides on youtube, Lyndsey Cowie's while getting a bit old are still relevant and a good start point.

As for blisters....I discovered the magic of a light covering of vaseline before walking each day and it helped massively.

Buen Camino.

Rob.

Most popular pack sizes seem to be in the 33l to 40l range. If walking in May you will not need a sleeping bag, a silk sleeping bag liner should be sufficient. If you are starting in Astorga give yourself half a day to visit the Bishop's palace, the chocolate museum and the Roman museum. Most people recommend 2 sets of clothes, I recommend 3 as trying to get clothes to dry on a wet day can be a challenge in some locations. Hopefully you will not encounter rain but you should always have rain gear with you.

Welcome to the forum Andres; You will have a great time. A few thoughts to help you.

Pack: The recommendation is that you carry about 10% of your bodyweight in your backpack; more than that and the repeated days of walking puts a strain on your body that is more likely to result in health problems. a 60L backpack is more likely to result in you carrying more than 10%.

There is a huge amount of discussion about packing lists and what to bring that comes down to:
More stuff can be convenient but you have to carry it. 2-3 outfits is the optimal because you wear one, wash the outfit you just walked in, and have a spare if the one you washed isn't dry by tomorrow. Layering and multi-function clothes all help reduce the extra stuff. So for example sleep in the T-shirt you will walk in tomorrow; have a T-shirt, with a fleece on top that can be taken off when it gets too warm. Astorga and Galicia in may can be a little cool early morning, but very warm as the day goes on, so layers are good. Galicia can also be wet, so a solution for rainy days is a must; We have up till now only brought a rain poncho rather than a rain jacket, but others bring a rain jacket and leggings.

The Camino (particularly Frances) is not like the Appalachian Trail or other long hiking trail. It is a walk between towns/villages where you will find accommodation, and food. You will generally pass through villages where you can get coffee/lunch etc.
if you're going to stay in private hotels/casa rurals all the time, you don't need a sleeping bag; if in albergues then you will, but a small liner may be enough if it will be warm (as you would expect in May).
You budget and food preferences also determine some choices. If you will always eat out ( which is doable with pilgrim meals for €10), then you don't need any cooking implements; if you want to cook, many albergues have facilities, and probaby pots and pans, but you might bring special spices etc.

Make a list of what you will definitely need, what you think you will need, and what might be single situation, or emergency items. Most people end up not using the 'things we might need', and single situation stuff (with the exception of some medical stuff); and a few days of carrying them on your back soon helps you have right perspective on whether it is really necessary. I think the only stuff that we brought last time that didn't get used was some medical stuff. Search for packing lists on the forum and on Youtube, and make your own.

Shoes and socks are a hugely personal matter, but the need to have broken them in is universal. if your current boot give you blisters, then get new ones in sufficient time to walk with them. In general the path is sufficiently developed that you don't need high level walking boots, and walking shoes are quite popular. There are a number of climbs and descents such as around O Cebreiro where you may appreciate the ankle support, but in general hiking shoes are enough. Sock types can be double layers; liner socks with a walking sock on top; vaseline or other 'my personal magic cream/oil' on my feet all feature, and you need to find the best way for your feet.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hello Andres, from a fellow Texan! There are several chapters of American Pilgrims on the Camino in Texas, perhaps even in your area. The American Pilgrims website has links to the local chapters. This forum is a superb resource but sometimes talking with experienced pilgrims in person can offer additional helpful information.

I second what @Sparrow in Texas says. At the Toronto Chapter meeting I learned how to pack my backpack for the camino. What a difference it made on my second camino. When I arrived at an albergue at the end of the day, I had just had to grab one bag out of my backpack and head for the shower. It felt great being so organized. Experienced pilgrims can teach you a lot. Just remember only take what you need, not what you think you may need. Spain is a first world country. The water is safe to drink, there are places to eat every few hours most days, and you will find a store in almost every town. There is very little wilderness in Spain. Have a great time planning your camino, and then relax and enjoy the walk! Buen camino!

Start please with a much smaller pack and the things you collect along the way should be pictures they don’t weigh much keep it light you will be happy for it.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
No matter what, it won't be perfect. No, this is not meant to be pessimistic or anything - in fact just the opposite! Know that what you bring probably won't be perfect, and that you can
1) Donate what you don't want
2) Buy what you do
3) Mail home or mail to Santiago things that you might want back.

Shoes are the most important thing. If you live near a bigger city, find a store that specializes in fitting shoes, read Yelp reviews and pay extra for the service you get. It is worth every cent.
Socks follow shortly. Spend $30 a pair on Merino wool socks. Buy three pairs. Get geeky about socks.
Backpack immediately after.
Think carefully about cotton clothing. It is harder to dry when hand washing. But it isn't the end of the world either.
The less you carry, the happier you are.
Be prepared for blisters (you can buy blister care in Spain, but if you get a hot spot, stop and treat immediately, don't wait).
Carry something for journal/drawing. Don't rely on your camera - pictures are quick to take and this is a slow journey. Drawings and writing will encourage you to look more.
The better physical condition you are, and the slower you go, the more forgiving you can be with your gear.
Three bags inside your backpack make life so much easier, and let you use a large backpack if you already own it:
1) The clothing bag. I used a 60L backpack, cinched up as tight. Inside I had a cheap packing cube (a light weight one) with all my clothes. Made everything easier. So much easier. Best accidental decision I made.
2) The bathroom bag. a small bag that can be slung over a hook, put on the ground, on a counter or whatever that just has the things you need for your shower and morning routine - soap, shampoo, tooth paste/tooth brush, daily meds.
3) The miscellaneous other bag. I had a few small loose things that I didn't need everyday, but did want to carry along the way.

Things I bought along the way:
1) A cheap wood staff, for helping navigate the mud pits, pushing myself up hills, and supporting a grumpy ankle coming down.
2) Replacement shampoo
3) A massage ball for my foot and leg
4) Replacement soap and a container for said soap. Twice.
5) A hat. Twice.
6) A t shirt for runners. It was synthetic and dried a heck of a lot faster.
7) Ibuprofen cream
8) thingies to put between my toes (gel spacers). Wish I'd done this earlier/ wish I'd gone to a podiatrist when I first had the idea.

Things I lost, mailed or donated along the way:
  • Special fancy travelers dry soap leaves for shampoo, clothes washing. Good idea. Wasn't enough soap for me in one leaf.
  • My DSLR camera, e-reader, pencil crayons, cords and assorted other odds and sods. Angry feet demanded sacrifice.
  • Special fancy waterproof bag I'd planned on using to wash my clothes. Just didn't work. The old school, use your hands and a bar of soap was fine day to day.
  • The wood staff I bought. (forgotten)
  • The first hat I bought (left behind convinced it would never be sunny again)
  • Soap (forgotten)
  • Ibuprofen cream (didn't work for me)

36 litre max pack, one set of clothes on, one in pack, don't walk the "stages" as described in guidebooks (stop just before or just after "guide book" stage ends - apart from the obvious big city stops etc.). Don't be a 5am "bag rustler" , set off at a human time in the morning, do use the albergues because that's where the real camino stuff happens (IMHO), have a picnic lunch every few days, take advantage of good, cheap local wines. You probably don't need that pair of jeans, slr camera or video gear (unless photographer or film maker), ipad, laptop, hair curling tongs, hair dryer, powerbank, dancing shoes, flamenco dress and earings, don't carry 500ml bottless of shampoo, conditioner, hair gel, moisturising lotion, nail varnish remover, aftershave lotion.

You get the idea...

My husband and I completed our Camino from SJPdP to Santiago in October of 2017. The best advice we received (and unfortunately did not pay attention to!) was to pack your bag, and then discard 1/3 of what you had packed before leaving home. This proved to be true as we did not need all the extras that lists recommend. Everything you need is readily available along the way if you have forgotten something. We did take 3 quick dry t-shirts each and 2 shorts (for him) and 2 leggings (for me) -wear one and wash one, with an extra set for when clothes do not dry over night. On our next trip, the only extra clothing items we take will be 4 pairs of Smart Wool sox. (We found that quick dry fabrics and the Smart Wool sox did not hold body odors like other fabrics, and your Camino Friends will thank you for that!) We changed our sox mid day, and hung the used ones on our packs to dry out. Minimal blisters for both of us due to dry feet.

On another note - not equipment related - we flew out from Madrid to Amsterdam and noticed many of the suitcases and backpacks were heavily plastic wrapped. We could not figure out why at the time, but at check in, the airlines would not allow us to carry on our backpacks. Ours were not plastic wrapped, and when we got home we discovered that all of our headlamps, flashlights, and all of our phone and camera cords & re-chargers were gone. So...if you have to check your backpacks, be sure there are no valuables in them, and have them plastic wrapped before you leave them.

Have a wonderful trip!
Buen Camino!!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I agree with packing as light as possible, but I would suggest taking enough clothing to allow you to wash every second day. I really enjoyed the days I got into an albergue, had a shower and sat down for a drink before dinner without doing a wash. It may only mean taking one extra set of clothes which is not going to add much weight anyway. Also ditch the second pair of shoes, waste of space and weight. Buy a new pair on the way if you need them.

Astorga is a beautiful place to start. One change of clothes and perhaps nightwear is sufficient. Like @trecile I pack an extra pair of socks and undies because they are handy for rainy days. I stay in albergues and always walk with a lightweight sleeping bag.
Buen camino
Edit: Realised I had put two changes of clothes when I really meant two walking outfits which would be one change of clothes. Sorry, I’ve amended my original post.

Thx for all the help means alot! So between 2-3 sets of clothes should be sufficient.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I wore thin Injinji sock liners (toe socks) with a good pair of Smartwool over top. Boots are Keen. Wife wore same sock combo with Salomon low top hiking shoes. International cell service was available but expensive, but WIFI was everywhere so could check at most towns, bars, albergues, hotels, etc. Boots must fit well and you should make sure they dont slip. Get fitted at some place like REI where you can see how they fit going both up slope and down. REI has very good boot return policy so you dont have to be afraid of spending. You can walk 100 miles in a set of boots and return them if they are wrong. Also agree with @HedaP on extra undies and socks. Had 3 sets of these along with the 2 sets of clothes. Also recommend Smartwool merino wool Tshirts. Expensive, but wick sweat, wash easily, dry fast and dont stink. Never paid $75 for a tshirt before but was very glad I had them.

Good thing we have a few REI here in Houston I'll definitely have to check that out! Thx for the help you guys are awesome!

Hi Andres, welcome to the forum!

As you are walking with your girlfriend, remember you can cut a lot of weight carrying just one unit of many things: one soap, one toothpaste, one comb, one bottle of sunscreen for you both to share. :)

Also, I always recommend people to take safety pins. The can be used in so many ways! For example, if my socks are still wet after washing, i pin them on the backpack and they dry while I walk. The safety pins were also good to hold a leg of my pants together, after ripping on the way.

I particularly think that a 60 liter pack is quite big (mine is 30L and my boyfriend 36L), but as long as you feel comfortable, go for it! In terms of clothes, I had in total (counting with the ones I was wearing):

3 tshirts (1 of them I used mostly as a pajama, but it was there in case it was needed to walk)
3 pairs of socks
3 underwear
1 trousers
1 shorts
1 cap
1 'puffy' jacket

Hope that helps. Have a great camino!

Defitnely going to add safety pins to the list! My GF was like OMG of course saftey pins! help is greatly apprciated.

Most popular pack sizes seem to be in the 33l to 40l range. If walking in May you will not need a sleeping bag, a silk sleeping bag liner should be sufficient. If you are starting in Astorga give yourself half a day to visit the Bishop's palace, the chocolate museum and the Roman museum. Most people recommend 2 sets of clothes, I recommend 3 as trying to get clothes to dry on a wet day can be a challenge in some locations. Hopefully you will not encounter rain but you should always have rain gear with you.

Thanks for the recommendations! Guess my 65liter is too much. I'll have to invest in a smaller bag

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hello Andres, from a fellow Texan! There are several chapters of American Pilgrims on the Camino in Texas, perhaps even in your area. The American Pilgrims website has links to the local chapters. This forum is a superb resource but sometimes talking with experienced pilgrims in person can offer additional helpful information.

Thanks for the advice! I joined the American Pilgrims page and found out they have a local chapter here in houston!

My husband and I completed our Camino from SJPdP to Santiago in October of 2017. The best advice we received (and unfortunately did not pay attention to!) was to pack your bag, and then discard 1/3 of what you had packed before leaving home. This proved to be true as we did not need all the extras that lists recommend. Everything you need is readily available along the way if you have forgotten something. We did take 3 quick dry t-shirts each and 2 shorts (for him) and 2 leggings (for me) -wear one and wash one, with an extra set for when clothes do not dry over night. On our next trip, the only extra clothing items we take will be 4 pairs of Smart Wool sox. (We found that quick dry fabrics and the Smart Wool sox did not hold body odors like other fabrics, and your Camino Friends will thank you for that!) We changed our sox mid day, and hung the used ones on our packs to dry out. Minimal blisters for both of us due to dry feet.

On another note - not equipment related - we flew out from Madrid to Amsterdam and noticed many of the suitcases and backpacks were heavily plastic wrapped. We could not figure out why at the time, but at check in, the airlines would not allow us to carry on our backpacks. Ours were not plastic wrapped, and when we got home we discovered that all of our headlamps, flashlights, and all of our phone and camera cords & re-chargers were gone. So...if you have to check your backpacks, be sure there are no valuables in them, and have them plastic wrapped before you leave them.

Have a wonderful trip!
Buen Camino!!

Hmmm, i always wondered why i would see backpacks like that we saw it in Peru and Cuba. We are flying into Madrid as well.

I took a 36l backpack and it was more than enough space for all my things. I tried to take as little as I thought I could but actually ended up loosing items of clothing on the way (the perils of letting your boyfriend do the washing) and didn't really miss them. Something i didn't really take and missed was one set of relaxed clothes for when you're chilling out. I think as a woman, next time I would take a casual dress. Everyone has a different system for packing, try not to bring too much as you should be able to find anything you need and don't have one the way.

Burn Camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Sometimes it is not always possible to find what you need when you want it. So I try to travel with exactly the amount of toiletries I need in small containers. For example, before leaving I experimented with a small travel size toothpaste. It will last me 11 days. I take three small tubes, use each one up then throw it away, a small reduction in weight along the way. Of course, it is fun to try some of the Spanish brands too. There is one particular Spanish soap that has a very pleasant fragrance.

Actually the best tip I have for new pilgrims is to spend time on this forum. Use the search function to find sample packing lists, to learn about pros and cons of shoes vs boots, sleeping bag or liner, training and travel tips, etc. I learned so much from reading this forum for several months before my first Camino. I ended up with the gear that really needed, and other than a few bandaids I used everything in my pack. I didn't carry a bunch of "just in case" stuff.

Lots of great advice about equipment, etc. My advice is about your relationship to each other. Have an honest discussion about what options you can live with if one gets injured, or doesn't enjoy walking the camino before you end up in that situation. My first camino, I was walking with a friend who announced after dinner one night that she was taking the bus the next day. It just came out of the blue. Over a couple of days, we had many discussions and eventually agreed on a new course of action so that we could see the highlights of the camino, and walk the last 100 km. You also need to consider whether you both like to get up early, or late, walk at the same pace, or walk separately and meet for lunch. Just more things to consider, when you are traveling with another person! Buen camino!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
You must have a great deal of information in the previous replies. My simple contribution is this: watch out that you do not get dehydrated. Along with plenty of plain water, and salts from basic powders sold in farmacias (litines), I recall that we were very sparing with beer and wine on the CF. We also kept the carrot of a treat hotel in the bank, but it was still in the bank when we got to Santiago!

Lots of great advice about equipment, etc. My advice is about your relationship to each other. Have an honest discussion about what options you can live with if one gets injured, or doesn't enjoy walking the camino before you end up in that situation. My first camino, I was walking with a friend who announced after dinner one night that she was taking the bus the next day. It just came out of the blue. Over a couple of days, we had many discussions and eventually agreed on a new course of action so that we could see the highlights of the camino, and walk the last 100 km. You also need to consider whether you both like to get up early, or late, walk at the same pace, or walk separately and meet for lunch. Just more things to consider, when you are traveling with another person! Buen camino!

Oh my goodness yes!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Advice that you should limit weight on your back to 10% of body weight is correct, but it’s your first Camino and you have a 60 liter pack — so you won’t follow that golden rule. You will start too heavy and your knees will hurt (I did/mine did ), so here’s the tip: put a 15-20 liter dry sack in your kit. When it finally dawns on you that you’ve got too much gear (that you don’t want to throw away), put the extra weight in the dry sack, seal it up well and ship it forward - either day-by-day with luggage forwarding services (3-5 euro/ day), or to the next big city or Santiago via the post office service. Both services are very reliable.

I started too heavy. A friend loaned me a dry sack. I shipped 5-6 kg forward two weeks. By the time I caught up with the dry sack I was in much better condition and could handle the excess weight. On my next Camino I plan to follow the 10% rule from the get-go.

BC

You might consider taking a Sleeping Mask. The Sun is still shining well into the evening, and you won't be bothered by the blinding light from a Pilgrims Headlamp searching for the Bathroom during the night(Bring a small flashlight for this), or the very early risers getting ready to leave in the morning. I found a simple pair of flip-flops/rubber sandals very useful when not wearing your hiking boots, and especially to be worn in the Alburgue showers! Buen Camino!

Things I would do differently:

1. Stay at Orrison. Generally, the last 10 kilometers are much different on your body and feet than the first 10. Staying at Orrison might have given me the time to figure that out, and I now know that Day 1 to Roncesvalles was too much for me.
  2. Address blisters as soon as I feel them coming on. I found myself thinking "the next stop is only a few kilometers away". I feel like blisters were the most difficult challenge to my enjoyment that was avoidable.
  3. Read Brierley (or presumably some other guidebook) before each day's walk. I was happy to take it as it came, but realized late that knowing something going in made me miss less and appreciate what I was seeing more.
  4. Stop every day with enough time to recover - wash myself, wash my clothes, unwind - before dinner - and be able to enjoy a bit about where I was.
  5. Do whatever I can to not worry about getting a bed: Make a reservation, stop earlier (with enough energy to try go on, if necessary), rely on faster friends to reserve a spot, zen out on the whole thing. Not worrying about having a place to stay made it possible to enjoy everything more along the way.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Take a small, light-weight cloth or nylon sack to keep snacks all in one place. Snacks might include nuts, fruit, cheese, chorizo, bread, chocolate, yogurt, etc. Also useful when you go out to resupply. Throw in a couple of Ziploc bags for stinky cheese. :D

Small, manageable and light. 2 changes of clothes, tech everything - stuff that will wash and dry very quickly. Layers - you'll be cold if it is wet or in the mornings and hot in the afternoons. Anything you need you can buy on the way. You don't need any cool camping gear. Just water and clean clothes. Take 3 pairs of socks and underwear. I like my own sleeping bag and I have a featherweight. A lot of people get by without them. I use my clothes bag for a pillow. Spray everything (everything) down with Permethrin a couple of days before you go. Paying close attention to seams. Seriously though - everything. A tiny ipod for when you cannot stand to hear your feet tromping on the road for even one more second. Sticks. I wouldn't dream of Camino without them. I have really good ones that fold down to pack size so I can travel with them. And gloves. If it is windy/wet/cold and you're using sticks your hands will get cold. Face wipes. I get a lot of mole skin and cut it to size and keep it handy. Mole skin will cover any blister and it will stay on for a day or two without mess. I have never found any in Europe. I have a really nice folding knife that I have needed every time I have been on Camino. Great for cutting food and what not. Needle and thread for the bad blisters if they come up. Be spartan - be brave! Remember, this is not the wilderness. You're going in and out of towns and cities that are accustomed to dealing with the needs of peregrinos!

No matter how many times I have received this advice, I always have too much. My pack is always too big and too heavy. Be one of the smart ones and don't burden yourself.

My daughter's tip for any trip "take twice as much money and half as much kit" - that way if you forgot something you can pick it up on the Way.

Am coaching a friend in the ways of the Camino (her first will be this year). She too has a 60l pack and wondered if it would be big enough. My comment that she could always sleep in it if she couldn't find a bed didn't go down too well.

40L + 2 changes of clothes + travel umbrella = a happy Pilgrim.

Good luck, see you in Santiago in May!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
My daughter's tip for any trip "take twice as much money and half as much kit" - that way if you forgot something you can pick it up on the Way.

Am coaching a friend in the ways of the Camino (her first will be this year). She too has a 60l pack and wondered if it would be big enough. My comment that she could always sleep in it if she couldn't find a bed didn't go down too well.

40L + 2 changes of clothes + travel umbrella = a happy Pilgrim.

Good luck, see you in Santiago in May!

Very good advice :D

I use my clothes bag for a pillow.

I use the albergue pillow as a pillow. :p

I get a lot of mole skin and cut it to size and keep it handy. Mole skin will cover any blister and it will stay on for a day or two without mess. I have never found any in Europe.

My friend brought moleskin last year, and when she ran out we looked for some at the farmacia. They didn't have any, but recommended OmniFix stretch tape. For me, it worked much better than moleskin or Leukotape, which I had brought with me. It's soft, thin, and flexible. It stays on well all day, but removes easily without leaving a sticky residue.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Have a wonderful trip!
Buen Camino!!
Where does one get their backpack plastic wrapped? Agree, will likely not be able to carry on our packs.
Thanks.

If you are leaving from Madrid, there are several stands in the airport where you can have your pack plastic wrapped for about 10 euros.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You guys are amazing!! thank you so much for the tips it has really helped us out a lot. We feel alot better now going in!

Buy two books:
“Walking to Santiago”, which includes all the info you need on what to buy and expect on the Camino

John Brierley ‘s guidebook, which contains detailed information about each stage, like distance, stopping points and places to sleep.

Best investments you can make.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Buy compression sleeves for your arms and calves. They're lightweight, don't take up much space and great when the temps are cool. I can hike in the calf sleeves all day, even if it gets warm, and they don't bother me. The arm ones can be rolled down to your wrists if it gets too warm and you don't want to stop and take them off.

Thank you. I'm south of Houston and I'll be contacting the local group.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...
Hi there! I was on the fence about poles bc I've never used them and as mentioned previously, brand new to hiking. But because I'm in treatment for breast cancer and as such have a decent amount...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.