• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any fluent Korean speakers here?

WGroleau

Wandering Weirdo aka 伟思礼
Time of past OR future Camino
2015–2018 (partial)
We call the person who checks you in at an albergue "hospitalero" or "hospitalera." As far as I know, there is no good English single-word equivalent. Is there a one- or two-word equivalent in Korean? Not looking for an explanatory phrase; I can do that myself. If there isn't one, no problem just sticking hospitalero into a sentence like I do in English. (I've noticed that many of the Korean pilgrims speak neither Spanish nor English.)

For what it's worth, the DRAE doesn't even have it. And the closest thing it does have is marked "unused."

Also, anyone know of a CF guide in Korean? I've seen them in Japanese and Chinese, but I don't remember any Koreans having them (except electronic ones).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hi, Wgroleau. I think perhaps the word host/ess is the nearest to a one word interpretation. It is better than receptionist. However for those who do not know English, actions speak louder than words! It depends a lot on the context. I understand that a Korean pilgrim wrote a book some years ago which led to a surge in pilgrims from there. Perhaps the author would have the answer to your question about a CF guide, if you could track her/him down. All the best.

The word host/ess is a good one. Also perhaps (albergue) "greeter" or "volunteer"? But I think for those who plan to walk the camino would understand and use the word ""hospitalero" or "hospitalera" as we do in English. In other word, no translation would be necessary.

There is a Korean guide book if you can read Korean (all in Korean):
http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?mallGb=KOR&barcode=9791195562916

As for your observation," (I've noticed that many of the Korean pilgrims speak neither Spanish nor English.)", most younger people who travel internationally would speak at least some English. Those who don't speak English or Spanish usually travel in a group led by someone who speaks at least one of two languages.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
well done, tominrm, for tracing the guidebook. I have also sent out a message to a Korean friend, so it will be interesting to see what comes back from her. And yes, it is really obvious that hospitalera/o is everywhere on all the caminos!

Apologies for silence. I didn’t realize till now that my reply did not save.

The word host/ess is a good one. Also perhaps (albergue) "greeter" or "volunteer"? But I think for those who plan to walk the camino would understand and use the word ""hospitalero" or "hospitalera" as we do in English. In other word, no translation would be necessary.

“Host” is indeed the closest I can think of in English. But it’s still not exact. I realize English speakers will understand it, and probably Koreans. But if their language happens to have a word for it, I should use it. If I can find out what it is. Hence looking for the guidebook (along with other Camino related terminology).
There is a Korean guide book if you can read Korean (all in Korean):
http://www.kyobobook.co.kr/product/detailViewKor.laf?mallGb=KOR&barcode=9791195562916
I went into a HUGE bookstore called 영풍 but they didn’t have it. Went to another one, equally huge that turned out to be the same name. They didn’t have it either and told me that none of their stores can order any books. So I guess I have some hunting to do.
As for your observation," (I've noticed that many of the Korean pilgrims speak neither Spanish nor English.)", most younger people who travel internationally would speak at least some English. Those who don't speak English or Spanish usually travel in a group led by someone who speaks at least one of two languages.
My observation is based on several months as hospitalero and checking in people from eighty countries. Yes, many groups have one member who can speak English, but almost every group has some with neither English nor Spanish, and I remember for sure the group of four and the group of three who had only their electronic translators (which any half-asked linguist knows are falsely advertised). That’s why I am now in Korea trying to learn a little. Not really making much progress, but trying to get around and find food is certainly letting me know how they must feel in Spain!

… looking for the guidebook (along with other Camino related terminology).
I went into a HUGE bookstore called 영풍 but they didn’t have it. Went to another one, equally huge that turned out to be the same name. They didn’t have it either and told me that none of their stores can order any books. So I guess I have some hunting to do.
Went to the link again, figured out the name of the bookstore, hunted it down and found they have four branches and one is two minutes by subway. Went there, found the guide, and bought it. Thanks for the link!!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Delighted to see you have tracked down what you were looking for. Sorry, my Korean friend didn’t reply.

Google is usually good for a laugh. It translates hospitalero to 친절한 which it says in English is “kind”

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I received a very quick reply from my friend.
He advises that they commonly use "Hospitalaro" or the Korean word for host: "Ju-in"

His reply:
We call them 'hospitalaro' or 'host'. The korean word is '주인'(ju-in). This mean 'host'.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We call them 'hospitalaro' or 'host'. The korean word is '주인'(ju-in). This mean 'host'.
Thanks! I will look for both in the guide and see whether there is a difference in context. Please pass on to him: "정말 감사합니다!"

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
One way or another, you need to see this movie! We were lucky enough this evening to attend the 'World Premiere' that was followed by a Q&A Session with: Writer / Director / Producer - Bill...
Did it make a difference in your short term, long term and lifetime? Did it change your soul..or chain it forevermore to some dusty track in Spain Are you in the ever present because of it, or...
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.