• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any good English "paper" guidebooks? Or, what is good paper French one?

birnbaumclara

Time of past OR future Camino
the Frances, and Finisterre and Muxia (summer, 2012). Will walk from Le Puy to SJPP (summer, 2014)
I walked the Frances and Finisterre routes in the summer of 2012, and found the Brierley guides for both routes to be wonderful companions . . . very user-friendly. Is there something comparable for the Le Puy route in English? Otherwise, since my French is not bad, I will buy a French guide. I don`t have a cell phone so would need the paper version to take with me. I suppose I could download one, or by it readymade. Thanks for any suggestions.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I like the maps in the Brierly books...

For Le Puy/SJPP I used the Ciccerone guide by Alison Raju and Miam Miam Dodo. Whilst the Ciccerone guide had more information about sights, history etc I found the Miam Miam Dodo more useful on a daily basis/planning how far to walk, where to get food etc.

The paper in Miam Miam Dodo absorbed moisture really quick, so had to be careful with it in the rain, but it did mean it was excellent for stuffing in your shoes to dry out overnight;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am using the Miam Miam Dodo (very basic maps, full list of accommodation and services IN FRENCH but easy to work out) and Alison Raju (basic maps, detailed directions en route plus location history, sights and historic buildings etc) guidebooks - always the top two recommendations on the forum - if you have an iphone there is now an App for iMiam but you did specify you wanted a paper version. :) I also have the Michelin Map Set for the route which is really good (it has both maps, elevations and a limited number of accommodation listed per village) - I got mine here... http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Che...ent=order-details&utm_campaign=Order-dispatch (the Book Depository has free worldwide delivery).

Hope that helps!

I've bought the Raju one but it isn't as attractive as Brierley!

I've bought the Raju one but it isn't as attractive as Brierley!
Thanks to all of you who have responded to my request so far. Very helpful indeed. I get the impression that there are not many English options, so I will probably get a French guide. While sites and history are very appreciated for sure, I would want a guide that is strong on practical information, specifically pilgrim hostels / other inexpensive accommodation, and maps (hopefully in the style of Brierley, meaning very clear / user-friendly). In other words, I won`t rush into buying a guide until a few more responses come hopefully. Thanks again.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I would want a guide that is strong on practical information, specifically pilgrim hostels / other inexpensive accommodation, and maps
The reason Brierly doesn't do a guide for the Le Puy route, is that the great preponderance of walkers are French-speaking. MMD is current, immensely useful, has detailed schematic maps (3 or 4 for a day's distance), includes all available lodgings within a km either side of the GR route, gives contact info, opening times, and amenities for each; includes other pilgrim-support services such as bakeries, groceries, and Tourism offices. It does not offer any prose description of sights or history of the area. Oh - and it's light weight!!

Most read last week in this forum

We commenced walking the Via Podiensis on Saturday 13th April 2024. We are from Australia and find it easier to bring our stuff for the Camino in a suitcase, as we have extra clothes for before...
A special thank you to Dave Whitson for his shortcuts on the GR 65. We had a beautiful day walking by the river Lot into Cahors instead of the regular route. It takes a lot of work to create...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.