Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any housing at monasteries or churches?

AnimalDoc

Time of past OR future Camino
primativo (2017)
Are there any monastery or churches that have alburgues or private rooms on this route (Oviedo to SDC)?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Don't know about this route, specifically. I just would comment that staying in an albergue owned by a monastic order does not neccesarily guarantee that the ambient be different to any other lay establishment. Many monasteries and convents in Spain are economically struggling to survive, and an albergue is just good business. The manager could even be a person hired to do this task. No objection to that, on the other side.
In my experience, parish albergues tend to be more oriented to the spiritual concerns of pilgrims. I have had some good experiences.
Evidently, every case is different, and I am speaking in general terms.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm on the Primitivo, in Lugo presently. In Tineo- albuerge mater cristi is donativo, self policed, quiet 5euro. The albuergue, not the municipal one and not the private in Berducedo is really nice and the best bar and meal.
Rip offs abound as does kindnesses, more of the latter. You cannot always depend on food, water or functioning vending machines for some days. Areas are largely depopulated. If you see food, buy it!

I certainly remember having to carry a packed lunch on the Primitivo and remembering to fill my water up in the mornings.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Lovely cistercian monestery at San Salvador de Valdedios. I was only pilgrim there one night on primitivo before Ovideo as you leave Norte buen camino
As the Primitivo typically strarts in Oviedo ... but anyone wanting that experience and doesn't mind an extra day will no doubt thank you.

In Tineo- albuerge mater cristi is donativo, self policed...

The albuergue, not the municipal one and not the private in Berducedo is really nice and the best bar and meal.

Mater Christi is not in a monastery, but some sort of converted home into a social center, now albergue. Hospies are old school and know their mountains.

As for Berducedo, if not the muni and not the private, what does it leave? There are two privates: the home outside of the center and the Marquez bar's albergue, and no monastery in sight, and the church does not have an albergue. So I can't think of what is being refered to that would give relevant info to the OP.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
If you want to stay at a proper big monastery, walk the Norte and stay at Sobrado dos Monxes. The monks are extremely friendly.
On the Camino Norte there 3 monasteries you can stay at of the same order as the one in Sobrado.

Cornellana is a monastery building, but with no monks. Then, after Lugo, it is worth it to follow the route via Friol, the landscape and the Santa Eulalia da Boveda are truly special!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Excellent work! I did this Camiño Verde in 2010, and the Friol-Sobrado route was rural, wild and scenic at the same time. Friol is indeed a lovely place, Pension Benigno is nice, good value, excellent food, and Friol is lovely and peaceful. I would definitely choose that route every time!

I'm on the Primitivo, in Lugo presently. In Tineo- albuerge mater cristi is donativo, self policed, quiet 5euro. The albuergue, not the municipal one and not the private in Berducedo is really nice and the best bar and meal.
Rip offs abound as does kindnesses, more of the latter. You cannot always depend on food, water or functioning vending machines for some days. Areas are largely depopulated. If you see food, buy it!
Thank you for this info -- One question -- Is the albuque in the third sentence ("not the municipal one and not the private one in Bercucedo") the Albugue mater cristi in Tineo mentioned in the second sentence?
Any other good advice ?
Another Question - Due to our work schedules, we will need to skip 4 days prior to Lugo. Could you recommend the best area to skip AND what transportation would be present (are there any buses ---?) Thank you, thank you, thank you

Tineo and Berducedo are different places. Berducedo is notable as a 'bottleneck' place where the Hospitales and Pola alternative routes meet.

www.gronze.com is a very useful planning site.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Resource for route via Friol - Green Way
José Manuel who made the arrows is a member of the forum @xmsg - he doesn't log in very often but will respond promptly to private messages.
I downloaded and printed them all when you posted them, Notion, and thank you so much for making the information available and for advocating for this option!

Thank you for this info -- One question -- Is the albuque in the third sentence ("not the municipal one and not the private one in Bercucedo") the Albugue mater cristi in Tineo mentioned in the second sentence?
Any other good advice ?
Another Question - Due to our work schedules, we will need to skip 4 days prior to Lugo. Could you recommend the best area to skip AND what transportation would be present (are there any buses ---?) Thank you, thank you, thank you
Wow, skipping 4 days. Whatever you do don't skip the Hospitales route. It's the crown jewel. The hike into Fonsagrada is all road walking. I'd skip it. The 30 km death march into Lugo is worth skipping.
I enjoyed the long hike to Grandes de Salime but I had no knee problems. It's a very long steep downhill with no water source.

I'm sure there are buses or taxis but someone else will have to help you with that.

If I did the Primitivo again I wouldn't bother with the Lugo to Santiago part. The best views for me were the first part. I hated the last 3 days. I was bothered by the people jumping on and off tour busses and collecting stamps. Calling themselves pilgrims while they wore Sunday dress attire and lipstick. I saw one of them at the pilgrim office getting turned away for not having enough stamps. But I digress. Sorry.

If I did the Primitivo again I wouldn't bother with the Lugo to Santiago part. The best views for me were the first part. I hated the last 3 days. I was bothered by the people jumping on and off tour busses and collecting stamps. Calling themselves pilgrims while they wore Sunday dress attire and lipstick. I saw one of them at the pilgrim office getting turned away for not having enough stamps. But I digress. Sorry.
Agreed 100%. End in O Cavado, but enjoy the rest.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I hated the last 3 days.

OR do what I did - walk the tranquil Green Way from Lugo to peaceful Friol and friendly and spectacular Sobrado as mentioned above, then stay at quiet Boimorto, cut the Arzúa corner off, and sneak out of the bushes onto the French Way at St Irene, just in time for a late lunch and a refreshing few laps of the outdoor pool at Pedrouzo:
foto 4.jpg
One night only on the French Way, quick downhill to SDC and Bob's your Uncle.

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...
I have been trying to find a way to avoid the circus during the last stages of Frances. In two hours you can take the Lugo - Ourense train and walk the last stages on the Plata. Is it a good idea...
https://www.alojamientoloshospitales.com/albergue I found a link to this place in an old thread, but can't find it on WisePilgrim, the Gronze map or if I search by address. Can someone tell me...
Hi all Heading out for a meal tonight and Pilgrim mass before starting the Primitivo tomorrow. Any recommendations on where to get a great meal in Oviedo?

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back