• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any idea whether it is possible to walk the Napoleon route on this year around April 19th?

Teija Houttu

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances April 2017, Portugues April 2018
Any idea whether it is possible to walk the Napoleon route on this year around April 19th?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
It is closed until at least March 31. After that, the authorities will decide based on weather conditions at that time. So, nobody can know now.

Thank you. So there will not be able to forecast anything, f.ex. on the basis of winter each year? I wonder this, because I should in advance book and also pay overnight stay at Orisson. If I would like to or need to stayover there.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
As already stated the Napoleon route is closed till the end of March , but I walked at the same time in 2015 and there was still
some snow at the last stretch before you go into the forest down to Roncesvalles .
It was a great walk that day.

Wish you a wonderfull trip and a Buen Camino ,Peter.

Go ahead and book your overnight at Orisson. If the route is closed that day (as was our experience) you can request a refund; that's what we did and there was no problem getting the refund. If you book at Orisson, then decide you want to continue on to Roncesvalles the same day, that's an option too as, no doubt, your place will be gladly taken by another peregrino. In the latter case, I've heard of pilgrims 'donating' the cost of their bed to the establishment - all part of the pilgrim experience. Buen Camino :)

... your place will be gladly taken by another peregrino. In the latter case, I've heard of pilgrims 'donating' the cost of their bed to the establishment - all part of the pilgrim experience. Buen Camino :)
Orisson fully booked in April?

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Weather permitting I walked last year on lovely day in April. Re Orrisoon not too clear. They open when it suits them and they get enough booking. I was told in October they would open mid April.?? They closed without notice on October 18 th. Water source turned off . They are a commercial business not for your convience Buen camino

I believe the proprietors of Orisson will at least let the pilgrim office in SJPP know whether they will be closed or open, and this is largely weather dependent. Best advice is check in with pilgrim office before you head out from St. Jean.

The pass will be open on April 1, weather permitting, but Orisson may not open until later in the month.
Better check with them to see what their opening date is this year.
It has varied in past years.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
In the latter case, I've heard of pilgrims 'donating' the cost of their bed to the establishment - all part of the pilgrim experience. Buen Camino :)
¿Really? It is a business -not a municipal or parochial albergue. I think good practices of any commercial venture should apply also to Orisson -including proper and as soon as possible attention to customers messages and phone calls, and clear rules about cancellations.

If you feel unsure about Orisson and this option presents too many possible problems, just skip it.
I know that staying in Orisson is a kind of mantra in this forum, but only a tiny section of pilgrims stay there -they walk right from SJPP and do well.
image.png
:D
I may get dogged for posting that meme. The Orisson zealots defend the place ruthlessly. ha ha

Last edited by a moderator:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Snow on the Route Napoleon is not predictable.

There is wide range of variability. Snow conditions that you want to know about won't be reliable even two or three days before you want to go.

The only possible advice is to be flexible.

I have been there in February, March, April, May and June and seen deep snow and spring-like conditions. Stay tuned to some European weather forecast online.

I have Orisson booked for the night of April 21st, glad to hear that if the route is closed, they will issue refund

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I have Orisson booked for the night of April, 21st, good to hear that if the route is closed , they will issue a refund,
by the way, in my conformation, Orisson uses the term , HALF BOARD, I have noticed this in other places also, what is the meaning of this , not the same as here in the U. S. , I'm sure

¿Really? It is a business -not a municipal or parochial albergue. I think good practices of any commercial venture should apply also to Orisson -including proper and as soon as possible attention to customers messages and phone calls, and clear rules about cancellations.
:D Well, that is one way of looking at it. Personally, I was charmed with all my interactions with the Orisson proprietors; the booking process (which took some time); learning how they would look after their customers if the weather suddenly turned foul; being advised by the Pilgrim Office - minutes before we were to leave SJPP - that Orisson was closed; and the process of getting our deposit back. I still don't know if it was mountain ways, Basque ways, Français, or Español; it was all very pleasant. Just go with the flow ......:):):)

:D Well, that is one way of looking at it. Personally, I was charmed with all my interactions with the Orisson proprietors; the booking process (which took some time); learning how they would look after their customers if the weather suddenly turned foul; being advised by the Pilgrim Office - minutes before we were to leave SJPP - that Orisson was closed; and the process of getting our deposit back. I still don't know if it was mountain ways, Basque ways, Français, or Español; it was all very pleasant. Just go with the flow ......:):):)

But if Orisson is closed how will I get my coffee?!?! It's inhuman to expect a pilgrim to walk 25 km with no coffee break ;-)

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I have Orisson booked for the night of April, 21st, good to hear that if the route is closed , they will issue a refund,
by the way, in my conformation, Orisson uses the term , HALF BOARD, I have noticed this in other places also, what is the meaning of this , not the same as here in the U. S. , I'm sure
Bed but not all meals. Most likely only bed plus dinner & breakfast. No menu del dia or sandwich for lunch.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Our first day was April 8th out of St. Jean in 2016 and the Napoleon route was closed. Was Mid April before the route was open. Don't get too hung up on it. It is only 1 day out of many interesting days you will walk. The walk through Valcarlos was interesting and somewhat challenging as well as it had plenty of snow in the last 2 hours of walking we had that day.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
But if Orisson is closed how will I get my coffee?!?! It's inhuman to expect a pilgrim to walk 25 km with no coffee break ;-)
It is inhuman, but fortunately I always walked the warmer months, ha ha.
You may just have to slam down a couple of cups in SJPdP before hitting the road.
The good news is that if you stay in Roncesvalles that night, you can definitely get coffee and breakfast in Burguete the next morning. They have a cafe open early.

The places I've been in Europe and Africa the term 'Half Board' means breakfast and dinner included and lunch and beverages not included. This is close as I see breakfast and dinner are included however no mention of wine with dinner is made and given that wine with dinner is a standard on the Camino, hopefully someone who has stayed here can confirm this for you!
Buen Camino,
Jordon

My understanding of the term is that lunch is not included. Your E30 gets you a bed (shared room); the evening meal (shared again) and breakfast. I would expect to have to pay for lunch and any wine/beer/coffee (other than with breakfast). Hope this helps. Cheers

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Trust the locals. If open from SJPdP then all should be well. Just make absolutely totally 100% sure BEFORE you leave from Orisson that the road is open on that day.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

No need for a coffee panic - if Orisson is closed you have to walk the Valcarlos route anyway and there you can have a coffee/drink/food at least in Arneguy and Valcarlos ;-) Buen Camino, SY

No need for a coffee panic - if Orisson is closed you have to walk the Valcarlos route anyway and there you can have a coffee/drink/food at least in Arneguy and Valcarlos ;-) Buen Camino, SY

However there are no services after Valcarlos village until Roncesvalles;
be prepared!

The pass will be open on April 1, weather permitting, but Orisson may not open until later in the month.
Better check with them to see what their opening date is this year.
It has varied in past years.
They are open. I have booked for the 19th of April and they have confirmed my booking.

Yes, I have booked for the 19th of April and it's open and I have a confirmed booking. Just email them. The email address is on the website.

Whew! My anxiety level for this Camino just went down 10 points knowing there are options ;-)

Certain posts have been deleted due to political reference.
The forum policy is to avoid all political posting...even that that some might find humorous.
We hope to keep the forum a quiet place away from the loud noise that is found almost everywhere else.
Remember that others may have a very different view than you and be offended by posts you agree with.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In my experience it is day to day from Orisson and one day can be fine, the next horrible. So there is virtually upload_2017-2-8_20-48-4.png no way you will know a week before you start. I believe that if there is any doubt the folks from Orisson will drive up the route and confirm conditions in the morning before sending you on your way. If it is bad they will bus you down to Valcarlos to start from there. I walked the Route Napoleon in late April 2012 and again at the same time in 2013. In 2012 I went the full distance to Roncesvalles and had one of the most challenging days I have ever had in the hills with freezing rain and very high winds. All despite a green light from the pilgrim centre in St. Jean Pied de Port. One peregrina passed away that day after suffering some sort of cardiac event. The little shelter hut 40 minutes back from the summit was a godsend. In 2013 I stopped in Orisson. The next day was very pleasant and benign although the previous day had apparently had quite a storm. There were still horizontal icicles visible on tree branches from the freezing driving rain. Both years there was still snow on the approach road below the pass but it was easily passable.
upload_2017-2-8_20-48-4.png
Horizontal icicles

Walked the Napoleon route the first day (April 14) it was open in 2016. It was subsequently closed. I did stay at Orisson and it was full. I am one of the pilgrims that loves Orisson and have stayed their both Caminos. I plan to stay there again for my 3rd.

My son and I hoped to stay at the Orrison on April 6th of 2017 as we begin the Camino. (Clearly we should be prepared for plan B, C, and D! :) Are there places to stay in Valcarlos if the Napoleon route is closed? Does anyone know mileage-wise how a Valcarlos overnight would breaks up the Pyrenees-crossing day? Also - I've sent a number of emails to the Orrison to make a reservation and have gotten no reply. Rachel did you email and book recently? I simply haven't had any luck.

Thank you everyone for these very helpful comments - - - I'm a 'Newby Camino gal' and your feedback is SO helpful!!! :)

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
My son and I hoped to stay at the Orrison on April 6th of 2017 as we begin the Camino. (Clearly we should be prepared for plan B, C, and D! :) Are there places to stay in Valcarlos if the Napoleon route is closed? Does anyone know mileage-wise how a Valcarlos overnight would breaks up the Pyrenees-crossing day? Also - I've sent a number of emails to the Orrison to make a reservation and have gotten no reply. Rachel did you email and book recently? I simply haven't had any luck.

Thank you everyone for these very helpful comments - - - I'm a 'Newby Camino gal' and your feedback is SO helpful!!! :)
The distance from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Valcarlos is riughly 11km over easy rolling terrain. From Valcarlos to Roncesvalles it is 16 km up and through the historic mountain pass. A times this is a strenuous climb.

There are several places to stay in Valcarlos including a fine municipal albergue which is VERY comfortable with good heat, blankets and showers. You can reserve in advance if you wish. For more info re this and other Valcarlos accommodations see
http://luzaide-valcarlos.net/es/servicios/servicios-turisticos/

as well as --
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles

For more on this route see this current Forum thread--
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valcarlos-route.45235/

and this earlier thread
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Good luck and Buen camino to both of you!

Last edited:
I have Orisson booked for the night of April 21st, glad to hear that if the route is closed, they will issue refund
My wife and I are also booked at Orisson for the night of April 21. They responded within a day to my booking request. This is our first camino that's been in the planning stages for nearly 10 years. We look forward to meeting you, David and Theresa.

My wife and I are also booked at Orisson for the night of April 21. They responded within a day to my booking request. This is our first camino that's been in the planning stages for nearly 10 years. We look forward to meeting you, David and Theresa.
Cool, we will be the old couple, trudging up the hill, we are going to stay the night before in SJPdP to get over the jet lag and then leave there around 8 or so I guess,

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
April 19th is my birthday. I'm sure the Napoleon route will be open in honor of me! :);)

Our camino family of 13 went out for dinner in Burgos. The oldest must sit at the head of the table. We narrowed it down to year of birth for 2 of us . . .

Me: “What month?”

My friend: “April”

Me: “Me too, what date?”

My friend: “18th, you?”

Me: “19th, you win!”

Jill

The distance from Saint Jean Pied de Port to Valcarlos is riughly 11km over easy rolling terrain. From Valcarlos to Roncesvalles it is 16 km up and through the historic mountain pass. A times this is a strenuous climb.

There are several places to stay in Valcarlos including a fine municipal albergue which is VERY comfortable with good heat, blankets and showers. You can reserve in advance if you wish. For more info re this and other Valcarlos accommodations see
http://luzaide-valcarlos.net/es/servicios/servicios-turisticos/

as well as --
https://www.gronze.com/etapa/saint-jean-pied-port/valcarlos/roncesvalles

For more on this route see this current Forum thread--
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/valcarlos-route.45235/

and this earlier thread
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/sjpp-to-roncesvalles-–-in-praise-of-the-lower-route.16075/

Good luck and Buen camino to both of you!
Hi Margaret, I have stayed at the municipal albergue in Valcarlos 2 years ago, getting the key from a nearby bar. You mentioned that they accept reservations. I always hear that the munis never accept reservations, so is this the same place? I am somewhat confused as I'll be walking the Frances route again this spring and would love to reserve a spot after arriving in SJPP if that is possible. Thank you for any advice.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Margaret, I have stayed at the municipal albergue in Valcarlos 2 years ago, getting the key from a nearby bar. You mentioned that they accept reservations. I always hear that the munis never accept reservations, so is this the same place? I am somewhat confused as I'll be walking the Frances route again this spring and would love to reserve a spot after arriving in SJPP if that is possible. Thank you for any advice.

Yes it is the same place; although municipal they do take reservations. You can use these emails
-- turismo@luzaide-valcarlos.net
or
luzaide-valcarlos@wanadoo.es

Or telephone--+34 948 79 01 17,
or +34 948 79 01 99.

Good luck and Buen camino!

Most read last week in this forum

The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...
Hi all, Very new to this so please excuse any ignorance or silly questions :) I'm walking my very first Camino in 2 weeks (iieeeek) - the countdown is on and excitement through the roof. I've...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back