• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any ideas for a strap-on chest pack?

BobM

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
V Frances; V Podensis; V Francigena; V Portugues; V Francigena del Sud; Jakobsweg. Jaffa - Jerusalem
I read with interest about the posts about "saddle bag" type packs that spread the load between back and chest.

It gave me an idea for making up something similar to clip onto the front of my 35L pack to carry a digicam SLR (bulky and heavy) and snacks. There is no room in my 35L pack for this stuff.

Has anyone seen a commercial product that connects to the front of a pack?

Regards
Bob M

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Strap your pack up right and you won't need one. I think it's important to point out that the waist strap on your pack should balance the load on your hips, no?

I use a medium size bumbag, loosen the strap quite a bit, and sling it crosswise across my chest. This is small and doesn't get in the way of my pack straps, fits my valuables and camera, and is safe yet accessible. Good size for going out at night, and fits perfectly into a ziploc (plastic sac) for taking into the shower stall for safety.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Alipilgrim, I used something similar. Dead handy it was too. Also useful for when you're away from your pack to carry all your bits and bobs.

Chest pouch

I just bought a chest pouch attachment

http://www.theomm.com/packs_Chest_pouch.html

to fit onto my rucksack and I'm very pleased with it. I can get my guidebook, dictionary, first aid stuff, notebook, etc in there and there is a special transparent map cover on the back for my Topo Guide map. It will also serve as a 'handbag' when I want to go out in the evening or on rest days.

It is specially made for OMM rucksacks but could easily be used with another make - you just thread some velcro straps through any attachment on your shoulder straps.

Bumbag slng across chest is a good idea

Alipilgrim and Minkey gave me a useful alternative to the chest "strap on" pack.

The bumbag across the chest is certainly better and lighter than many of the commercial chest packs.

I just Googled chest packs and there seem to be heaps, especially for the fishing fraternity. Most seem to be too complicated or expensive for what I need, although the OMM version suggested by windeatt looks neat.

I have tried bumbags around the waist, but I personally find them a pain when wearing a pack with a proper waist strap.

Regards
Bob M

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi! I'm traveling to Porto tomorrow and starting the Camino on the 19th, the problem is that I've just weighed my pack and it's 2 kilos more than it should be! Should I get rid of some stuff or...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.
I've stopped procrastinating and done my first pack. Was a bit nervous about being under 7kg hand luggage, but on the first try I've come to 5.9kg (13 pounds). (Not counting one set walking...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back