• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any ideas how to personalise a rucksack?

Julia Mumford

Adventure Geek
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (2016, 2017, 2018, 2019)
Camino Ingles (2018)
Hi all - silly question alert!

My daughter and I have bought Osprey 50l packs for the Camino Frances, however being a popular rucksack I don't want them to get mixed up with other peoples on the trail.

Do any of you have any creative ideas as to how we can perhaps personalise our bags?

Julia

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Badges, pins, buttons, ribbons ... there are so many ways to personalise it without doing any permanent 'damage' (read: improvement). I have stitched a woven forum badge (you can buy them from Ivar in the Forum shop) on the lid of my Osprey Tempest - it is a brilliant icebreaker both on the road and when traveling to other places. Some like sewing flags and patches on their packs, I prefer other things with a more personal meaning to me. I have a colourful salamander and a smiling sun on my pack as reminders of two dear friends who will never walk the Camino again, and a pewter shell and a reflective tag for safety. Oh and a big silk flower with a safety pin at the back, which can easily be removed - I use it as a brooch when I want to dress up! Don't think anyone will mistake my pack for their own ...

Attachments

• IMG_20150913_141429.jpg
    IMG_20150913_141429.jpg
    424.8 KB · Views: 114
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

My daughter and I have bought Osprey 50l packs for the Camino Frances, however being a popular rucksack I don't want them to get mixed up with other peoples on the trail.

Do any of you have any creative ideas as to how we can perhaps personalise our bags?

Julia
You will be living with your packs. They will or should be almost never out of your sight anyway.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Anything easily applied, like a pin, can be easily removed. Human nature being what it is, I stopped adorning my rucksack with pins bought along the way.

I was losing too many souvenirs at cafe stops. Some of the "misappropriations" damaged my bag when pins were forcibly removed that actually had horizontal pins, not just a post and fastener. Now, they ride in a small nylon bag INSIDE. NO, I will not call this theft. Whatever, it is not important and it is easily adjusted for.

I recommend anything sewn on. However, I suggest you only sew patches, or do embroidery, on a portion of the bag that will NOT be exposed to rainfall or other precipitation. The tiny holes made by the needle will admit water into what WAS a water-resistant rucksack. Of course, you could just use seam sealer on the inside of the bag, where the thread penetrates the bag...:eek:

I had my local cobbler (shoe maker / repair guy) sew all my patches on. They usually have a "free arm" sewing machine that normally is used INSIDE a shoe. So, it works very well with bunched up pack material. Plus the result is super strong. the only issue is whether the needle can puncture your material. This was tested and found to not be a problem. Evidently, my fellow had previously tried to sew patches on military grade ballistic nylon bags and broke needles. I assured him that our rucksacks were much lighter material.

I sport my Forum patches, APOC patches, CSJ patch, and several others I picked up along the way. My bag is never misidentified. Before I did this it actually was. I used an Osprey Kestrel 48 liter bag in Conifer Green for my first three Caminos. Evidently, this is a very popular bag and color.

At the very least, I would recommend a silk scarf or some other "flag" like a piece of brightly colored yarn or cloth tied to the outside top of the rucksack like a pennant.

Drying laundry pinned to your rucksack will also distinguish your from the others...;)

I hope this helps.

Julia

Julia:

The options, imo, are endless. That said, I would get a patch that is personal to me. A patch of some kind (ie: a dog, butterfly, turtle or rabbit if you want to indicate pace :), etc. etc.)

50L packs ^^, you could actually carry a pet with you ;) to guard it.

Ultreya,
Joe

Julia

My patches include the forum badge patch (go into Ivar's store, and get one!), a Silver Falls patch (I train there), and a Washington state patch (born there, and also a place I've been). Additionally, my husband has marked the backpack with two of his patches--a Boy Scout "Be Prepared" and also an international patch. He loves seeing his patches on my pack, and he feels enough ownership on my experiences and training, as the support person at home, that he will carry it for me when he's hiking with me, should I get tired (or just ask him to, for awhile).

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Forum Patch, country patch, number patch, name patch? just to mention a few, Oh one can always add socks, shoes, plastic bags etc, its adorable :rolleyes:

zzotte

Julia
I had a shell with a red string weaved through on the top of my pack. Also had a key ring and whistle which was all a distinctive combination. Having said that, I walked in December so not many perregrinos and your pack will be with you most of the time.

Julia

You hang your teddy bear on it of course :rolleyes:

Next question..........

lmNp61.jpg

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I've made a decision - I am a keen geocacher, so I am going to order a geocaching badge for my trip. I have already downloaded the caches available on-route, so that will work well. I will upload a picture when i'm done :)

Thank you for all your comments.

A variation on Tincatinker's idea might make certain no-one takes off with your pack....leave your UNWASHED socks in the mesh side pocket.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Whatever he weighs jp, he looks as though he's worth his weight in gold! :)
Cheers!
I must admit I love reading these forums. Anyway it's Lent on Wednesday so I had better think about improving myself over the next 6 weeks or so and start thinking about my next Camino.That's apart from giving up the booze and sugar in my tea and being nice to everyone and practising mindfullness and saving the world etc. I don't really think I need a nice new badge for my rucksack because with the state of mine no-one would ever nick it or mistake it for their own (maybe I might end up with a decent swap)And what's the worst that can happen?
Carry anything that is really valuable next to your body - job done.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I must get along to a Sydney 'gathering' soon Jenny.

No doubt 'Mr Bean' will come along too.

Cheers Robo! It'll be great to see you at one of the meetings soon - they're always fantastic.

So Teddy's name is 'Mr Bean'! So appropriate! He does look like Mr Bean's teddy!

Cheers to you and Pat - I look forward to seeing you both, and Mr Bean too!

Jenny

Julia:

The options, imo, are endless. That said, I would get a patch that is personal to me. A patch of some kind (ie: a dog, butterfly, turtle or rabbit if you want to indicate pace :), etc. etc.)

50L packs ^^, you could actually carry a pet with you ;) to guard it.

Ultreya,
Joe
What about a small national flag?
My son carried a frisbee....many afternoons spent chilling out throwing the frisbee between our pilgrim family.

I sewed a Camino patch on my pack (not a giant shell - I wanted something a bit different. Sorry but I find the Forum patch a bit boring although it's well-made). I found a really nicely designed patch which is the symbolic shell design http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/20149184...1&exe=11480&ext=28003&sojTags=exe=exe,ext=ext
I also bought a great Australian Aboriginal Flag patch (from www.didgeridoobreath.com) which I sewed onto my hat (but I'm from Oz and you're probably not). That should be a conversation-starter. AND I've put a wide vertical strip of super-reflective yellow safety tape on my pack for those times when one might get hit by a car!! I'm going to put a couple of stripes on my poncho too. I also put some at the top of my walking poles just below the grips. Distinctive look and it lights up like crazy in overcast conditions when illuminated by a headlight! Reflective tape is self-adhesive but I think I might drill some small holes at the corners and sew a few stitches to anchor the strips because the tape doesn't like staying stuck at the corners when the bag flexes.

My 28L Torrent. Only thing missing is my bathroom kit. With my short torso my packs always look like I'm carrying a bowling ball.
image.jpeg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Just thought I'd add my two pennies worth.
I've kept my rucksack really simple with a Union Flag and a forum patch.

20160213_200155.jpg

It's a Lowe Alpine Trek+ airzone 45. But I wanted the stow-on-the-go trekking pole attachment that you find on the Osprey sacks so added it myself.

20160213_200321.jpg 20160213_200343.jpg
(Terrible sewing I know, but it's strong).

Also I can't stand having the excess webbing on the straps flapping around on my rucksacks so I always add a loop of lightweight webbing/ribbon around them to keep them neat. I've done this to all my rucksacks and it works really well.

20160213_203642.jpg

Just thought I'd share.
Cheers.
Steve.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Personalised backpack is fine, but remember to personalise other things that you leave by alberge entrance and within easy reach of those who run off at 3 or 5 in the morning, while its still dark: your walking poles and boots. Believe me, when all the boots are covered with the same dust, they all look the same, if the size more or less fits, off they go. Poles we (walking buddies) tied together. Boots had crazy color shoelaces (one of us had orange, other - video pink) and we also clipped them together with a cat collar with bells. Worked for easy carry too.

Just thought I'd add my two pennies worth.
I've kept my rucksack really simple with a Union Flag and a forum patch.

View attachment 23975

It's a Lowe Alpine Trek+ airzone 45. But I wanted the stow-on-the-go trekking pole attachment that you find on the Osprey sacks so added it myself.

View attachment 23976 View attachment 23977
(Terrible sewing I know, but it's strong).

Also I can't stand having the excess webbing on the straps flapping around on my rucksacks so I always add a loop of lightweight webbing/ribbon around them to keep them neat. I've done this to all my rucksacks and it works really well.

View attachment 23978

Just thought I'd share.
Cheers.
Steve.

Hi Steve
Love the idea of the webbing ribbon. I was going to sew velcro on all the flapping (flipping!) straps but your idea looks great.
Where do you buy the ribbon and how did you secure it please?
Thanks
Carol

Hi Steve
Love the idea of the webbing ribbon. I was going to sew velcro on all the flapping (flipping!) straps but your idea looks great.
Where do you buy the ribbon and how did you secure it please?
Thanks
Carol

Hi Carol.
I went to my local hobby/craft shop and brought some lightweight webbing. It's very much like ribbon but a bit thicker and stronger. Then loop it around the strap to get the correct length with an over lap to allow for sewing. Cut and seal the ends with a lighter (careful it can burn). Then I use a small piece of double sided tape to hold it in place and then just sew it. Then just take off the clip, thread it onto the strap, refit the clip and pass the loose end through the loop.

20160213_224621.jpg (terrible sewing but it is strong)

The trick is to not make it too tight so you can pass the loose end through it. Once fitted it moves up and down the strap freely so you can use the strap as normal without having to pull the loose end back out each time.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My local craft stores and single fabric store only carry 1" widths of webbing. And if you buy off Ebay or Etsy the shipping kills you. When I want narrow webbing I buy $1 3/8"or 1/2" 6 foot dog leashes. Sometimes it even comes with paw prints!!

Edit to add: I forgot to say I buy the leashes from the dollar store. Hmmm, wonder what the China Bazaar stores have!!!

Last edited:
Hi Carol.
I went to my local hobby/craft shop and brought some lightweight webbing. It's very much like ribbon but a bit thicker and stronger. Then loop it around the strap to get the correct length with an over lap to allow for sewing. Cut and seal the ends with a lighter (careful it can burn). Then I use a small piece of double sided tape to hold it in place and then just sew it. Then just take off the clip, thread it onto the strap, refit the clip and pass the loose end through the loop.

View attachment 23980 (terrible sewing but it is strong)

The trick is to not make it too tight so you can pass the loose end through it. Once fitted it moves up and down the strap freely so you can use the strap as normal without having to pull the loose end back out each time.

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Wow!!
Thanks so much for all the detail Steve. Very much appreciated.
So much better than the velcro idea of mine, because it's adjustable.
I so agree with Durham!! All the answers are here on the forum :):D:cool:

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
DSC07068 (2).JPG A yellow arrow. You will never get lost if you follow the yellow arrow!

My local craft stores and single fabric store only carry 1" widths of webbing. And if you buy off Ebay or Etsy the shipping kills you. When I want narrow webbing I buy $1 3/8"or 1/2" 6 foot dog leashes. Sometimes it even comes with paw prints!!

Edit to add: I forgot to say I buy the leashes from the dollar store. Hmmm, wonder what the China Bazaar stores have!!!

I may have misled you by calling it webbing. It is a polyester ribbon like in the link below.
http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/berisfords-stitched-grosgrain-ribbon-assorted-15mm/597486-1005

Wow!!
Thanks so much for all the detail Steve. Very much appreciated.
So much better than the velcro idea of mine, because it's adjustable.
I so agree with Durham!! All the answers are here on the forum :):D:cool:

You're more than welcome. Happy sewing.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
My upper unwanted excess straps were removed and I put a key ring through the 2 holes left on the holder each side. Useful for clipping things to the pack.
The lower straps were so long that I originally held them together with a small clip but this last Camino I finally cut them off but left the 2 D rings in place.
My pack now has a forum badge and Santiago badge on one outer pocket and the Caminos de Europa an Santina de Covadonga badges on the other side. Plus on a thin leather strap attached to the key ring I have 3 medallions, Santiago, the Santina and San Andrés de Teixido. This year I will hopefully add a second set of medallions...... I still have the second key ring spare :)

Julia

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Julia
As you are from the UK I suggest that just a small Union Jack stitched to your rucksack will be enough to make you stand out. I have done the Camino three times and rarely see another English person. Also by the way from my experience your rucksacks are far too big, 35l is more than big enough, my rule is that if your rucksack does not go on the flight as cabin baggage you are carrying too much. I am off on my next Camino again in September this time from Porto. Hope you have a good trip,it is the most amazing experience.

Also by the way from my experience your rucksacks are far too big (50l.) 35l is more than big enough, my rule is that if your rucksack does not go on the flight as cabin baggage you are carrying too much. I am off on my next Camino again in September this time from Porto. Hope you have a good trip,it is the most amazing experience.

I started with a 36 l. Osprey back in 2007. It was for the CF in May-June: not carrying a sleeping bag. Pain in the behind when it came to bring back shopping.

Took it again in May of 2013, with no sleeping bag, and it was COLD! I then decided that even in May a sleeping bag was going to be added to the kit, especially since I was going to make the "rainy" Norte my next route.

Upgraded to an Osprey 40l. With a sleeping bag. Woudn't you know it, record high temps on the Norte. And still a pain for my Madrid shopping. But this bag, because of new material/ technology, was a good pound lighter than my smaller one.

I now don't look at volume of the bag, as long as it fits my sleeping bag, but at it's weight. I know I don't need gear for more than 8 kg, and that includes my luxuries, so I would not fill up the back on my way to and on the Camino, but would love to have the extra space for my shopping at the end of the journey.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
While Osprey packs are quite popular, there is enough variety in models, sizes, and colors to avoid confusion (except rare instances).

As for the identification, on my first Camino I met a girl with a tag hanging off her backpack. The tag had some Camino insignia and her name in large letters. I thought it would be nice if people knew my name as they were approaching me from behind. I found a similar tag in Santiago and will affix it to my pack for the second Camino.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Personalised backpack is fine, but remember to personalise other things that you leave by alberge entrance and within easy reach of those who run off at 3 or 5 in the morning, while its still dark: your walking poles and boots. Believe me, when all the boots are covered with the same dust, they all look the same, if the size more or less fits, off they go. Poles we (walking buddies) tied together. Boots had crazy color shoelaces (one of us had orange, other - video pink) and we also clipped them together with a cat collar with bells. Worked for easy carry too.

Yes, one of my pilgrims a few years ago took someone's shoes by mistake in SJPP.
She got half way to Orisson, squatted to pee, and saw, in horror, she had someone else's shoes on!
They were the same type of shoe but the person had put red shoe polish on the laces. They both wore the same size.
She was horrified.
We never ran into the owner though. ::laughing:: I guess her shoes fit the other person as well.

As to hiking poles, I just won't take my expensive poles anymore.
I've seen too many stolen from the buckets.
I buy either a set from the shops on the Camino or a single pole.
But some wild duct tape might be a good idea on your poles as well.
You can buy cool duct tape online or at Hobby Lobby or Michael's or Joann's Fabric.

This all reminds me of a funny story . . . . I call it "blue blazer day".

I worked in an office and there were two other men in the same office with me. At the end of one work day, John was the first to leave to go home. A little while later Mike, who was in a car-pool left to go home also.

I was sitting there in the office winding up my day when suddenly Mike dashed back into the office in a bit of a panic. Apparently we all three had worn our "blue blazers" (that ubiquitous garment that so many men have) and John had accidentally put on Mike's by mistake (they were roughly the same stature). The bad thing about it was that Mike's car keys were in the pocket and were at that moment on the way home with John.

The worst thing for Mike was that he was driving the car-pool that day and they had an agreement that if the "driver" for the day could not provide transportation, that person was required to provide cabs for the others. Not sure how much that cost Mike that day, I didn't have the heart to ask.

After that, Mike labeled the hangers on the coat rack in-case we all wore blue blazers on the same day again.

I always think of that story before I put my boots in/on the boot rack in the albergue. Haven't had a problem yet . . . . . .

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This all reminds me of a funny story . . . . I call it "blue blazer day".
Our family has the "gold corduroy blazer story". Whatever year gold corduroy blazers were popular in the late 1960's, my brother had one. We were in the Hilo airport waiting for our flight home when a man and a woman ran up to my brother (early teen at the time), each grabbing one arm, running away with him and yelling at him about nearly missing the plane and to get his butt in gear. My parents had to run after them while i watched our hand luggage. Ended up that an Australian student tour group were wearing the same gold corduroy blazers - theirs with insignia though....Steve almost got a trip to Australia!

Badges, pins, buttons, ribbons ... there are so many ways to personalise it without doing any permanent 'damage' (read: improvement). I have stitched a woven forum badge (you can buy them from Ivar in the Forum shop) on the lid of my Osprey Tempest - it is a brilliant icebreaker both on the road and when traveling to other places. Some like sewing flags and patches on their packs, I prefer other things with a more personal meaning to me. I have a colourful salamander and a smiling sun on my pack as reminders of two dear friends who will never walk the Camino again, and a pewter shell and a reflective tag for safety. Oh and a big silk flower with a safety pin at the back, which can easily be removed - I use it as a brooch when I want to dress up! Don't think anyone will mistake my pack for their own ...

Oooo! I like the flower deal. May pirate the idea if you don't mind.

Hi Carol.

View attachment 23980 (terrible sewing but it is strong)

Hope this helps.
Steve.

Hi Steve
It worked a treat!!!
Perfect instructions and no burnt fingers as a bonus.
No more flipping, flapping straps for us!!
So happy. It's the little things............
Muchos Gracias
Carol

I've made a decision - I am a keen geocacher, so I am going to order a geocaching badge for my trip. I have already downloaded the caches available on-route, so that will work well. I will upload a picture when i'm done :)

Thank you for all your comments.
What a great idea - a geocaching patch! I've got a couple of 'travel bug' patches here that I haven't used yet, might sew one of those on my pack!

€83,-
Hi Steve
It worked a treat!!!
Perfect instructions and no burnt fingers as a bonus.
No more flipping, flapping straps for us!!
So happy. It's the little things............
Muchos Gracias
Carol

Hey Carol.
Good news. I'm glad it worked out for you. Like you say, it's the little things.

Buen Camino
Steve.

Last edited:
Now my needlework is non existent but does sowing patches not affecting waterproofing of the pack or are they just done onto the outside pockets. I've just got bought an Osprey Atmos and want to cover one of the Osprey motifs with a Scarlets rugby patch as they are our nearest rivals

Now my needlework is non existent but does sowing patches not affecting waterproofing of the pack or are they just done onto the outside pockets. I've just got bought an Osprey Atmos and want to cover one of the Osprey motifs with a Scarlets rugby patch as they are our nearest rivals

I would suggest Copydex glue - mark off area to be covered by patch and paint with Copydex, paint back of patch and set both aside to dry. Position patch and press down with heavy weight.
Will stay put for years and no sewing!

I have made a scallop shell patch which I will attach with fabric glue. Just one question - which way should the shell go?

Julia

Use a metal marker or permanent marker. Draw a distinctive and eye catching symbol, such as a stylized letter in a circle, where it is highly visible.

Write your name on the pack somewhere too.

I glued on three patches onto my Osprey pack. They all came off after a few days.

€46,-

Skills!

As a Tilley hat wearer of over 20 years I was moaning to my daughter that every second person you meet nowadays seems to be wearing one and we all look like beige clones.

She came up with this:

hat band.JPG

which I shall wear with pride when I start out next week.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.