• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any interest in a new virtual/planning thread?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
Yearly and Various 2014-2019
Via Monastica 2022
This year is so strange. Many people are seeing the light at the end of the covid tunnel and are either planning their caminos for later in the year or already walking.
But the delta variant is looming, and a lot of us are still unable to travel, relegated to the sidelines.

So is anyone interested in a new virtual planning thread? If so which camino?
In the last year we've done the Sanabres, the Viejo (from Pamplona to Aguillar de Campoo), the Olvidado, the Invierno, the Lana, and the Levante. I am thinking of resurrecting the Via de las Asturias thread that I abandoned last year to join the Levante. There is also the Castellano-Aragones, but that is much shorter, and there are already threads here from people who have walked that way.
Right now I'm 'walking' the Aragones and it's much less enjoyable without a gaggle, and the discussion that goes with that.
Any interest?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Here is the list Laurie gave for possibilities at the end of the last call for interest, after which we did the Olvidado from Bilbao:
Catalán (from Llançà to Montserrat and/or from Montserrat to Pamplona)
Ebro from Delta del Ebro to Logroño
Vadiniense from Santander to Mansilla de las Mulas
Castellano-Aragonés from Zaragoza to Burgos
Vasco Interior from Irún to Santo Domingo de la Calzada or Burgos
Mozárabe from Almería

Or we could go for one I haven’t walked, but am hoping to:
Geira e dos Arrieros
Portugues Interior
Zamorano Portugués
@jungleboy just took care of part the last part of that list; there is also the Torres. And (come to think of it, the Madrid!)

Of the ones you list, I have walked the Mozárabe and the Vasco and would be happy to participate in them.

The others are well down on my list of likely Caminos (unless someone talks me into them), so creating spreadsheets to follow along seems like work to me. The Camino de Madrid is on my future list, so I'd be more interested in that.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The Madrid is on my list too, and never too far down - the idea keeps surfacing to just land in Madrid and start walking with no further ado. So it's a thumbs up for me too.

It would be fun to virtually walk thd Mozarabe, too, since I'm never likely to get actual shoes on the ground there.

so creating spreadsheets to follow along seems like work to me
Wow. To me as well! Maybe go rogue and abandon the spreadsheet? Just follow along for fun. ;)🙃

Catalan from Llanca? East coast to West coast.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have not been paying close attention to the camino routes in Catalunya and so thank you @Albertagirl and @Doughnut NZ for these posts: they caused me to finally get off my duff to clarify confusion. For anyone else in the same boat, here is clarity, courtesy of
Screenshot_20210705-133341_Chrome.jpg
(Edit: Just to be clear: the possibilities in the OP are not a definitive list. Anything goes!)

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Last edited:
If you’re going to do a virtual thread on the Catalan, I think it would be a shame to ignore the northern part that starts at or close to the border —either in Port de la Selva or Llanca (sorry, I’m on my phone and can’t do the diacritics). Bursting with Romanesque, two really lovely cities (Vic and Girona), beautiful scenery and villages.

I’m game for any camino you choose. I am an equal opportunity camino planner and am happy to have a new folder for any camino I haven’t walked. I’m also happy to chime in with opinions if you tackle one I have walked.

I don't normally join these threads but this one interests me. My friend who started in Mallorca when he arrived back in Catalonia he restarted his mainland Camino at Port de la Selva and looking at his photos they are quite beautiful days until you get to Montserrat, afterwards he went to San Juan de la Pena. It could also lead on to a joining up with the Camino de Las Asturias as you arrive on the Aragones and detour to Pamplona, just some thoughts because there is a lot of possibilities.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm happy to tag along and learn about any Camino! ☺️

Interestingly, I was just reading on FB about the Voie Catalane, which links Montpellier to Monserrat.

Walking with my darling, I like the idea of crossing the Pyrenees at a lower altitude, which is what we did when we walked along the Voie Nive-Bidassoa from SJPdP to Irun, to join the Norte in 2018.

AJGuillaume in the post above mentions the detailed French account, Liason Roncesvalles-Irun, which describes walking from near Roncesvalles to Irun following in part the east-west Spanish GR11 trail, local trails and lanes.

For personal/non commercial use I have abstracted and translated into English sections from the French site Liason Roncesvalles-Irun.

If anyone wishes a pdf copy of the abstract/translation please send me a Conversation/Personal Message.

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, well, I never would have thought of this in a million years, but it definitely has a lot going for it.
San Juan de la Pena is on my 'must somehow walk there' list., and San Pedro de Rodes, and, and and...
You're right, Laurie:
If you’re going to do a virtual thread on the Catalan, I think it would be a shame to ignore the northern part that starts at or close to the border —either in Port de la Selva or Llanca
Port de la Selva
Preferences? L or PdS?

Provided I start in Llana then once I get to Anglesola I don't mind which route I take and so this could be via San Juan de la Peña.
Do you mean Llanca, @Doughnut NZ?

This looks like it is coalescing. ☺️

And looking at this, now I have a new dream camino: CSJ-CF backwards to Pamplona-Viejo+Olvidado-Invierno.
Hmmm.
I think I need 3 months.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
San Pere de Rodes, which is the first romanesque delight on the walk.
Now you're speaking my language..........
:)

Sold. I'm in.

With the spreadsheet, I am virtually walking the route. Without, I am glancing at it from 50,000 feet.
Yeah, I get it. I zoom in by walking each day here and following along on the map as we go. I find I walk far enough each day to (usually!) be able to keep up, and often be ahead of the thread. And I do have a spreadsheet for that, so I know how far I've come. But it's not a planning spreadsheet by any means...much simpler.

My preference would be the Camino Madrid, as I am likely to walk it before the Catalan, but I'm up for either. My next solo Camino is likely to be Madrid/San Salvador/Primitivo (starting from Plaza San Vicente de Paul in Madrid). When you do start the thread, be sure to post in this thread when and where we can find it. I don't read all of the forums for routes I haven't walked yet as a matter of course. It's hard enough keeping up with the rest of the forums!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Preferences? L or PdS?
Either or, although easier to get to sounds attractive to me.

Perhaps start in Llançà, then walk down the coast to El Port de la Selva, then up to Monasterio de Sant Pere de Rodes.

Do you mean Llanca, @Doughnut NZ?
Yes
This looks like it is coalescing. ☺️

And looking at this, now I have a new dream camino: CSJ-CF backwards to Pamplona-Viejo+Olvidado-Invierno.
Hmmm.
I think I need 3 months.
😁

Last edited:
Perhaps start in Llançà, then walk down the coast to El Port de la Selva, then up to Monasterio de Sant Pere de Rodes.
I second the motion.
It sounds like a plan.
Then Madrid (from Ucles). That will keep me walking for a while. ☺️
So please give me a day or two, and I'll start the thread. A bit busy on this end.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I second the motion.
It sounds like a plan.
Then Madrid (from Ucles). That will keep me walking for a while. ☺️
So please give me a day or two, and I'll start the thread. A bit busy on this end.

Sign me up.

I have only viewed virtual from afar.

This time I’d like to participate.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.