• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any lodgings between Orisson and Roncevalles

FisterraWalker

Time of past OR future Camino
Hi, hoping to do the first stage St Jean to Pamplona from 19th -22nd April. The plan is to get to Roncevalles on the first day but not sure as carrying a hip injury. Just wondering if I continue past Orisson hostel is there anywhere to stop after that or would I have to limp on to Roncevalles for accommodation, Any help greatly appreciated!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Unfortunately, there is no accommodation after Orrison. However, it is possible to walk as far as you wish, then take a taxi back to SJPP, returning by taxi the next day to where you left off. If you have 4 days, then you have time to split the first day, either with taxi option, or staying at Orrison, and still make it to Pamplona. Enjoy and buen Camino!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
None I think except for an emergency cabin shelter up top

That emergency cabin shelter was a lifesaver for us. June 2012 and we walked the Orrison to Roncesvalles section in torrential rain. At the shelter it was like United Nations! Many nationalities, everyone taking it in turn to get inside, put on warmer clothing, eat a bite of a sandwich then exit and let the next people in.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
When I did the Camino Frances in September of 2017, I considered stopping at Orisson, but put the idea off. When I arrived in Spain before my trip to St. Jean Pied du Port, I decided I'd better not push it, and stop in Orrison. Unfortunately (or not), they were fully booked that close, so I had no choice but to go for Roncesvalles. At 65 years old, I made it, with some pushing and pulling from a buddy. My only recommendation would be to take the "easier" route on your way down. The Pilgrim's Office in St. Jean mentioned it and showed it on the map. It was alot easier, and quicker. Good luck!

I did meet some people who slept in the Emergency cabin shelter by choice. I would not recommend it for anything other than what it is intended for, an emergency. It is very small and would be cold etc. Maybe it would be better to consider the Valcarlos route with a hip injury. I have not walked it but believe it is flatter so maybe easier. I am not sure about the distances between accommodation on that route. Obviously you don't get such exciting views but some days the weather stops you getting these views in any case.

I did meet some people who slept in the Emergency cabin shelter by choice. I would not recommend it for anything other than what it is intended for, an emergency. It is very small and would be cold etc. Maybe it would be better to consider the Valcarlos route with a hip injury. I have not walked it but believe it is flatter so maybe easier. I am not sure about the distances between accommodation on that route. Obviously you don't get such exciting views but some days the weather stops you getting these views in any case.

Hola @Lucy Longpath . I walked the Valcarlos alternative route in 2017 (snow and very cold winds forecast for Napoleon). If you aim to walk it as a two day walk then in the majority the St Jean to Valcarlos is relatively flatter. However on day two there is a significant 600 metre climb up to where you join the Napoleon Route. If you have a look at the map in Brierley you will see its quite steep in places. Cheers

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You can use Express Bourricot's Mountain Shuttle.

Every morning and afternoon, a shuttle runs from St Jean pied de port to go to La Croix Thibault, passing by the “Route Napoleon”. You can choose your stop according to your physical capacity and your desire. Why to use it ? You think that you can’t walk the whole stage from St Jean pied de Port to Roncesvalles. This service shorten this stage. You want to walk this stage in 2 days, but the refuge of Orisson is fully booked, or you would prefer to sleep in one hotel of St Jean pied de Port instead of Orisson. You can Go & Back with us. Day 1 : you walk from St Jean pied de Port to the Virgen of Orisson. At 14h40, we pick up you there and we go down to St Jean PP. Day 2 : at 08h30, we transport you back to the Virgen and you can walk to Roncesvalles.

Screenshot_20190302-123508_Firefox.jpg

If you have hip issues I STRONGLY suggest you split that first day into two days.
Walk UP to Orisson, then taxi back down to SJPP.
Next morning, taxi UP to Orisson and continue on.
It's less expensive than medical care, and there is a regular shuttle service that you can book.
It is located right near the Pilgrim office in SJPP.
Just book two nights in SJPP, and take that first day easy.
Over the years, I've seen a lot of Caminos end after Day 1 -- don't take the chance is my advice.

Hi, hoping to do the first stage St Jean to Pamplona from 19th -22nd April. The plan is to get to Roncevalles on the first day but not sure as carrying a hip injury. Just wondering if I continue past Orisson hostel is there anywhere to stop after that or would I have to limp on to Roncevalles for accommodation, Any help greatly appreciated!
I would stay at Orisson if you can get in, it is a wonderful start to your Camino. If you stay at Orisson, and can walk there, you should be able to get to Roncesvalles, but I would recommend you take the jeep track to the left at the top of the hill into Roncesvalles. Good luck

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Because of my advanced age (75 at the time ) we decided to take the Valcarlos route and stay the first night in Valcarlos which is about the half way mark. It was midday when we arrived there so we decided to go on to Roncevalles. A bad decision as the remainder of the route was arduous to say the least.
Much of the Valcarlos route is road walking so not the most scenic. However it does give you the option of accommodation at the half-way mark.

I’m currently near Estrella on my Camino. Many people I have met in the last 2-3 days have started in Roncesvalles or Pamplona. The Pyrenees are difficult.

Hi Pilgrim!
The Valcarlos route gave me the perfect alternative for the first hiking days. I really wanted to take it easy to start walking and I was very happy with that choice. 13km on the first day and uphill, & the next day I was glad not to have to sleep in the huge albergue of Roncesvalles being able to walk until the next village. (The advise to stop in Valcarlos came from this forum and I still cherish it!)
Buen camino! 🌻

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Unfortunately, there is no accommodation after Orrison. However, it is possible to walk as far as you wish, then take a taxi back to SJPP, returning by taxi the next day to where you left off. If you have 4 days, then you have time to split the first day, either with taxi option, or staying at Orrison, and still make it to Pamplona. Enjoy and buen Camino!

I would strongly advise you take Trecile and Annie S's advice Sam.
The true figures have never been produced on how many pull out in Pamplona to return at a later date.
It is more common than you think , please believe me .

After Valcarlos , the walk on the forrest floor is no picnic. The walk there on lovely country lanes in great.
*****You have seen the advice on the "Express" bus and /or taxi ......take it mate and have no regrets because if you hobble on to Roncesvalles ?????????????????

Start like an old man , finish as a young one ........don't even think about the reverse.

cheers, thanks for the replies ! I'll hobble on to Ronvevalles i think, never look back ! hahahah
Don’t push the hip too far on the first day. It is a very hard walk uphill and down the last 3km is steep too.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi Caminantes, My wife and I are leaving for Madrid from Brisbane - AU on May 4th to walk the Frances. We are flying with Qatar. I am a bit worried that if I check in my backpacks, they have a...
Hi all, Im walking my first Camino in April (CF) and was wondering if it would be likely for me to encounter leeches? I know for most people leeches are not a big deal but they are in plague...
In past years, when we walked from Samos to Sarria, there was simply a yellow arrow that went off to the right of the highway, up a hill, past a pig farm then a sharp left turn at a small church...
Are you also interested to know the reasons why other fellow pilgrims choose to walk El Camino? Please participate in the poll!
Several local websites have reported a small earthquake this afternoon with an epicentre in the Sarria area. Apparently felt quite strongly locally but with little likelihood of property damage...
Hello!! I am a retired Spanish gentleman living in Madrid. My name is Jose and I would like to do the Camino de Santiago again!!! But this time I would like to walk and improve my English Level...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back