• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

any moments of "what the heck am I doing here" ?

Joodle

Time of past OR future Camino
CF May 10th- June 21st 2016
VDLP March-April 2017
CF coming up April-May
I am hoping for honesty in your answers. Don't be afraid of scaring me. I don't scare that easily. Were there moments of "What have I done" or "please God, let me wake up in my own bed"? the real moments when you just want to quit and you feel miserable and can't believe you're doing this? How did you overcome these moments and move forward with joy and commitment on your journey? (In my dreams, if things just get too much for me, I either pretend to faint, or I just up and fly away.) If you see someone next September/Oct, flying or fake fainting, that will be me.. ha,ha,ha

Last edited:
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Very good question

The only time was once, the people I met in SJPDP & walked with until they had to go home or bus ahead due to limited time. I had grown so close to them that it hurt to see them go. Yet I pushed on & the thought of stopping was gone by the end of the next day. If you find yourself asking that question, my advise is push on, as Every day is a new adventure.

The first day of my first camino on the Mozarabe, trudging up a steep hill carrying a 17kg pack, gasping for breath and sweating profusely. My mouth wasn't big enough to take in the oxygen I needed and I could barely see for the sweat pouring into my eyes.

Things did get better. Eventually

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hmmm. Well, to quote an extract from my diary/email home:
"Surprisingly, since it was only one downpour, the trail became an absolute bog, and every bootful became two. To escape, I headed into the harvested cornfields, which worked fine for a while. Alas, entering and re-entering was not such a good scheme. Navigating a ditch, I lost my balance, and in slow motion, the backpack weight carried me graciously forward, 'til I was standing on my head, naked legs waving in the breeze. Of course there was a suitably appreciative audience.
So that was the easy bit over, but being an idiot, I decided to carry on. Having a low boredom threshold, finishing at 11am leaves a lot of day. Remind me sometime, however, guidebooks are meant to be read.
At this point, some unprintable swine inserted the hill from hell. It's the only one on the planet. They send mules here to end their days. I nearly ended mine. God it was hard, it went on and on, and on. And then, oh joy, there was the descent. Here the rest of the mules suicide for pleasure.

And that, my dears, is how one walks 32km for fun. Or something. Tomorrow I shall hit myself with large bricks for a change of pace."

Honest enough for you? (But I never thought of going home, amazingly, I was sort of enjoying myself, and being surprised at what I could do at the age of 69.....)

Hmmm. Well, to quote an extract from my diary/email home:
"Surprisingly, since it was only one downpour, the trail became an absolute bog, and every bootful became two. To escape, I headed into the harvested cornfields, which worked fine for a while. Alas, entering and re-entering was not such a good scheme. Navigating a ditch, I lost my balance, and in slow motion, the backpack weight carried me graciously forward, 'til I was standing on my head, naked legs waving in the breeze. Of course there was a suitably appreciative audience.
So that was the easy bit over, but being an idiot, I decided to carry on. Having a low boredom threshold, finishing at 11am leaves a lot of day. Remind me sometime, however, guidebooks are meant to be read.
At this point, some unprintable swine inserted the hill from hell. It's the only one on the planet. They send mules here to end their days. I nearly ended mine. God it was hard, it went on and on, and on. And then, oh joy, there was the descent. Here the rest of the mules suicide for pleasure.

And that, my dears, is how one walks 32km for fun. Or something. Tomorrow I shall hit myself with large bricks for a change of pace."

Honest enough for you? (But I never thought of going home, amazingly, I was sort of enjoying myself, and being surprised at what I could do at the age of 69.....)
Ha Ha, I loved your honesty. I want real answers like yours. That sounds like a day from the" proverbial hot place." You survived and thrived. Good for you.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Of course, many times.
kiwi-d's experince...priceless...and it'd be hard to top her funny description of that kind of day.
There's something about the mud that makes me crazy. It sticks to itself and to the soles of the shoes--and when there's enough it comes peeling out around the sides of the soles like stiff dough. And it gets heavier and heavier--but not heavy enough to peel away from the shoe...so it feels like walking on a big ball of goo.
So one of my bad day memories was coming down to the Burgos airport in freezing rain and wind--and I chose to go left after the highway crossing, towards the river. Thing was, the little dirt road was like walking on wet clay, and I had to stop every 10 steps or so to thwack the mud off my shoes with my sticks. Fortunately no-one was around, because I lost it at one point and just started to stomp like a 2-year old. Well, that made me laugh at myself, at least--and it did get better after that, inside and outside. But before that I was going down the slippery slope of questioning my sanity about doing this crazy thing.

And there are those mind-bending long straight stretches that seem to go on forever and ever and ever world without end amen. Grf.

Oh...and that 'interesting' moment leaving Roncesvalles--seeing that sign for the first time. Hard not to think "What was I thinking?!??!"

Laughter in the face of discouraged self-pity becomes an invaluable asset. The self-pity part is relatively easy to dismantle--I mean really...walking the Camino...how good can life get!? Discouragement in the face of pain and fatigue is another thing...it's hard not to bite the hook and end up believing and amplifying it ('Boo hoo, I can't DO this!' And then come all the stories of a dire future...). Well, besides finding a way to laugh at that, having company of other pilgrims in one's misery helps, as does taking tender care of the body and of others. And taking a rest day if fatigue gets too intense is amazingly restorative.

The bottom line is to stay here, now, and take one step at a time. Just getting to the next cafe con leche stop can be enough to get all the way to Santiago.

Hola Joodle,
My moment came 6 days into my walk on the CF, at Los Arcos. I woke in the middle of the night with the worst case of "gastro" I have ever experienced. There was no way I could walk the next day, so the kindly Hospitalero helped me get some medicine and a cab to Logrono. After two days there I was still in no shape to walk so found my way via Bilbao to London to recuperate. I thought my Camino was over, and the disappointment was almost as bad as the stomach upset! Once my strength returned I decided to salvage something from the experience so I returned to the Camino in Astorga and walked on to Santiago. Quite remarkably I met up with some people I had walked with earlier and enjoyed their company again on the last day. I guess the moral of my story is "Don't drink from the wrong fuente!" Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Funny thing, that. The first three times I walked, I definitely had moments like that, always on the ascent of some mountain or other. But I haven't had any of them lately.

I don't know why, exactly - perhaps that I now KNOW that my body doesn't like mountains, and therefore avoid them or slow down as much as possible?
There is also something to be said for experience. I know I will eventually get there, and that I will get a bed, and that I have some food in my backpack, so I won't go hungry if I'm too late for lunch. I just keep walking, at my own speed.

On my Camino the rain wasn't too dramatic, it was the heat over +30*C and the mountains that made me question my sanity. First of all I just tried not to faint as that most probably would mean some expensive rescue operation (Pyrenees). I repeated to myself that my best quality for this kind of situation is my stubbornness. And intelligence that showed itself the moment I took walking poles along. I walk and continue to walk like a stubborn donkey. But as a consolation I reminded myself that I'm the one and only one who decides if I stay on the Way or declare defeat and go home (where pretend everything went according to my original Very Wise Plan). Of course, I allowed myself to stop as much as I wanted, rest my feet, take photos, visit bars, have orange juice and vino tinto, etc. I was nice to myself. By Finisterre I didn't walk, I was gliding over the surface of the Earth.

Every day on my first two Caminos: turns out I have flat feer which explains the constant pain. There was also a moment when I expected to feel that way: on the Primitivo on thr Hospitales route because of a forum member's blog, an experience walker, who had that thought when she found herself up there, but only had it for about 90 seconds, when the clouds and/or fog came in and visibilyty became nil.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I am hoping for honesty in your answers. Don't be afraid of scaring me. I don't scare that easily. Were there moments of "What have I done" or "please God, let me wake up in my own bed"? the real moments when you just want to quit and you feel miserable and can't believe you're doing this? How did you overcome these moments and move forward with joy and commitment on your journey? (In my dreams, if things just get too much for me, I either pretend to faint, or I just up and fly away.) If you see someone next September/Oct, flying or fake fainting, that will be me.. ha,ha,ha

Remember, if it REALLY gets too much, you can always quit and go home. Maybe come back and finish it at a later date if you want to or maybe just ...never!
I know I rave about the 'camino' and so do most peeps on this forum but...it isn't for everybody. That is what kept me going the first time I did it, I always knew I could quit any time :)

"Why am I here?" Every walk. Around Day 3, when the jet lag fog has started to clear. The novelty wears off. And there's a hill.

And the answer always comes: be patient, you are not in control, it will come.

one of my bad day memories was coming down to the Burgos airport in freezing rain and wind

Been there too, my friend! I think we may have taken a wrong turn (no arrows for a surprisingly long time) and the track was basically a 3 foot deep ditch between fields. The ruts were full of water to over-the-top-of the-boot depth and the center was that slippy, sticky mud (the lesser of the evils). And then we came to a spot where some unfortunate had apparently upset his load of manure in the quagmire, spilling it across the track. :( Let's just say we were a pretty sight pulling into Burgos. However, Joodle, I personally don't think you get through these things and find your commitment to continue; I think it's your commitment that allows you to continue. Commit, listen to your body, be kind to yourself and others and don't do too much research, just roll with the highs and the occasional lows, IMO. Oh, and even when contemplating the mud/ water/ poo options I still didn't want to be back home. :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I started to feel odd walking into Logrono-raging thirst, churning gut. I tried the oft touted French remedy of a glass or two of pastis but the bar I went to only had a Spanish anis that did me little good. At such times, Ricard is the only choice.

Feeling hungry, I managed half a racion of calamares and headed for bed, luckily in a hotel with quite a nice bathroom.

What followed was a nightmare which left me sleepless, exhausted and nauseous, walking through that seemingly endless parkland out of the town, not daring to take a bus or taxi in case I disgraced myself in public and planning my tactics in case the worst came to the worst and I had to head for the bushes. We had booked a room in Najera so I plodded on, sipping water as I went.

I reached rock bottom in Navarrete when I couldn't find the strength to climb the church steps to join my wife admiring its retablo and then had a violent attack of dry heaves as we left the town. After that, I knew that I was running on empty so the threat of imminent embarrassment was lifted at least.

By the time we reached Ventosa, I was ready for a beer but the first mouthful tasted stale so I left it and walked the last 10k or so tired but slightly recovered. I hit the bed in Najera and slept the sleep of the dead for a couple of hours then ate some of the best tapas I've had in Spain and sipped a few glasses of wine.

While I was walking, it was hell. I've never felt that I had nothing left on a walk anywhere and this time I was whacked before I got out of bed. When I got to Najera, I felt like a king. I had walked all day with a pack on my back at 62 when I felt like giving up from the beginning. When my wife got the bug in Santo Domingo, I suggested we take a taxi to Belorado but she wouldn't hear of it and dragged her seven stone body all the way. We both shake our heads when we talk about it now and realise that what we did was probably ill advised but also take some satisfaction from what we did.

I'm sure others have endured far worse on the Camino but those were our only really bad days. Mostly, it has been a joy.

Last edited:
Sorry mods--a digression...
Hmmmmm. Two stories about stomach bugs...did I just miss something along the way that's actually quite common, or is this a rare occurrence? And why? Is it the fuentes? The tapas? (I've eaten a lot of tortilla and sometimes wonder if that's a bit risky, but never had any untoward consequences.)

Hola Joodle,
My moment came 6 days into my walk on the CF, at Los Arcos. I woke in the middle of the night with the worst case of "gastro" I have ever experienced. There was no way I could walk the next day, so the kindly Hospitalero helped me get some medicine and a cab to Logrono. After two days there I was still in no shape to walk so found my way via Bilbao to London to recuperate. I thought my Camino was over, and the disappointment was almost as bad as the stomach upset! Once my strength returned I decided to salvage something from the experience so I returned to the Camino in Astorga and walked on to Santiago. Quite remarkably I met up with some people I had walked with earlier and enjoyed their company again on the last day. I guess the moral of my story is "Don't drink from the wrong fuente!" Buen Camino.
It would be very helpful to know where that "wrong fuente" is.. (insert smiley face here!)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I started to feel odd walking into Logrono-raging thirst, churning gut. I tried the oft touted French remedy of a glass or two of pastis but the bar I went to only had a Spanish anis that did me little good. At such times, Ricard is the only choice.

Feeling hungry, I managed half a racion of calamares and headed for bed, luckily in a hotel with quite a nice bathroom.

What followed was a nightmare which left me sleepless, exhausted and nauseous, walking through that seemingly endless parkland out of the town, not daring to take a bus or taxi in case I disgraced myself in public and planning my tactics in case the worst came to the worst and I had to head for the bushes. We had booked a room in Najera so I plodded on, sipping water as I went.

I reached rock bottom in Navarrete when I couldn't find the strength to climb the church steps to join my wife admiring its retablo and then had a violent attack of dry heaves as we left the town. After that, I knew that I was running on empty so the threat of imminent embarrassment was lifted at least.

By the time we reached Ventosa, I was ready for a beer but the first mouthful tasted stale so I left it and walked the last 10k or so tired but slightly recovered. I hit the bed in Najera and slept the sleep of the dead for a couple of hours then ate some of the best tapas I've had in Spain and sipped a few glasses of wine.

While I was walking, it was hell. I've never felt that I had nothing left on a walk anywhere and this time, I was whacked before I got out of bed. When I got to Najera, I felt like a king. I had walked all day with a pack on my back at 62 when I felt like giving up from the beginning. When my wife got the bug in Santo Domingo, I suggested we take a taxi to Belorado but she wouldn't hear of it and dragged her seven stone body all the way. We both shake our heads when we talk about it now and realise that what we did was probably ill advised but also take some satisfaction from what we did.

I'm sure others have endured far worse on the Camino but those were our only really bad days. Mostly, it has been a joy.
WOW!! that was a day from "the proverbial hot place" You have good reason to be proud!! I'm a nurse and after reading this, I will get prescriptions for an anti nausea med, plus bring immodium. I know that a strong ginger candy can help with nausea. Thank you for your honesty. People need to know that it's not all roses on the Camino, but that you can make it one day and one step at a time with help from God and your own God given determination!

A "what am I doing here" moment on my first Camino came after a pouring wet and foggy day over Puerto De Palo on the Primitivo. A tiny room for 12 in the public albergue in Berducedo with all the bunks taken, soaking wet gear everywhere, no-one speaking a word of English, no alternative accommodation in those days . . .:(
Then a thought - "after this it can only get better" ;)

DSCF0299.JPG

That's life !
Tio Tel

I have had those moments on each of my three Caminos. The first WTF moment, in 2013, was shortly after I almost fell off Alto de Perdon on the first day out of Pamplona, along the final several hundred meters before the summit where there is a very steep drop-off.

I literally almost died there and then when two, local mountain bikers on a downhill lark zoomed by and forced me to react, incorrectly as it turned out. My walking companion jumped left, into the shrubbery. I dove off the path to the right, as I had been trained to do whilst serving in the military many years ago. Unfortunately, there was no there "there." One year later, in 2014, I noted that there is now a cable mounted on vertical steel posts to prevent such an occurrence...go figure! One wonders if someone actually did fall off the mountain...

The second WTF, also in 2013, was when I was having expedient surgery on almost infected thick callouses on both of my feet in Burgos. That slowed me down, causing a three day pause for healing in Burgos, but did not deter me.

The third WTF was in 2014 when I fell over a fence, on my head, knocked myself out briefly, and bled from a head wound like a stuck pig, just after Sahagun. Mr. Brierley's guidebook led me astray. It contains incorrect information in part. So, while cutting across land to rejoin the intended path, I had to hop a wire motorway fence. Note to self, NEVER hop a fence whilst carrying a loaded rucksack. This slowed me down, but as it was my head, and I regained consciousness almost immediately, I rinsed with bottled water, applied a pressure bandage (packet of tissues held in place by a Buff), and pressed onward. When I had a Face Time session with the wife that evening from my hostal, she was furious. I told her it was only my head so to relax...I also had to mend a nasty tear in the crotch of my hiking trousers...bless duck tape! Nothing critical broken and only my pride wounded.

Finally, in 2015, unrecognized dehydration cause me to pass out suddenly three times while walking the 10 days from Porto to Sanitago...a really big WTF after the third "dirt-nap" episode in five-days. I reported this home only when I arrived at Santiago. I may be many things, but stupid is not among them.

My wife was furious at me. But, I called my doctor in the US and made an appointment for the day after I returned home. The doctor feared either a stroke or other heart condition. A full cardiac diagnostic series of tests revealed quite the opposite, no cardiovascular problems whatsoever...go figure! So, I was pronounced "stupid" for not paying closer attention and drinking more liquids. What does not kill us makes us stronger, and smarter, right?

After all this, I sometimes get the impression I am tempting karma or fate... But, I keep returning to do Camino again.

My point is that most of us have at least one, what have I gotten myself into (or WTF) moments on Camino. However, the thing that sorts the tourists from the pilgrims, is how we react to those misfortunes or challenges. A pilgrim perseveres...a tourist makes other travel arrangements...

I hope this helps...

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Twice that I can remember, but then it's been almost three years and there are definitely some rose-coloured glasses on right now!

The first time was our climb up Alto de Perdon in the rain. The rains and snows had been so bad that year, that parts of the trail were washed out. The path we were climbing was mostly a small, muddy stream coming down at us. At one point I slipped in the mud and grabbed onto a plant at the side of the path to steady myself. It was a thorn bush.

The second time was much farther on, at Belorado. It had been raining and windy for a couple of days, and I had developed a miserable cold. For whatever reason, the wifi wasn't working so I couldn't communicate with my wife back in the States. Fortunately, my fellow pilgrims were there to cheer me up (and provide some kick-my-butt German cold remedy), and by the morning I was right as rain. Which was good, because it was still raining!

Yes...the first 2 days were difficult from SJPP. It was raining, windy and cold. I had jet-lag, had trained in Dallas which is flat. For a week, right about 3pm, I fantasized about taking a train, bus, hitch-hiking - any way I could go the next day to perhaps the Meseta, as it would be easier to walk. But each day I got stronger, would get up & put my boots on and I got better at being a pilgrim. :). There will be times where you think, why AM I doing this? Have I convinced myself that it's gonna be no big deal?
Truth is, the reason you think you're doing it will give way to the real reason, at least it did for me! It was the best thing I could EVER have done for myself. It was the hardest thing I've done before, both physically and spiritually. But you know what! There are Camino Angels along the way that keep you going on the right path. They pick you up (literally) when you fall, love you like a dear, old friend, show you that you really are strong and brave. The Camino provides you with whatever you need, like no other place I have been. You begin to let go of your fears so you find your rhythm with the rest of the world.
If you didn't ask or question why you're doing it, you'll never do it. Now that that is out of the way, Buen Camino, Pilgrim. You have begun the first steps on your Camino journey. God bless!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Never had that thought of panic.
But every day;
"I cannot believe that I am here "

The relief of not being behind walls and glazing,
breathing soft or hard according to the load of the road,
- but never a thought of disbelief....

Last edited:
I had two of them in Sept. Both within the first four days. The first was in Roncevalles when the entire place was full and people were everywhere and it had been a serious rain and lightening storm coming down the mt. There was hardly room to breathe and we ended up in a shipping container for the night. The next was in Zubiri in late afternoon after the steep downhill and the whole town was full and there was no where to sleep. I was ready to hop a bus and spend the rest of my vacation somewhere nice. After that we started making reservations (my wife and I) ahead and so avoided the problem although it did limit our freedom to stay where we chose. Again, this was in Sept. during the busiest year they have seen.

On the whole I planned my caminos in a way that combined a holiday, the camino and my personal needs so I had no reason to give up. At this stage in my life staying a dorm every night and eating cheap pilgrim food day after day is not my idea of fun so I made other plans (sometimes hotels, sometimes wild camping).

I did meet 2 Australian girls in Leon that I really felt for. They were in the wrong place. Both in their very early 20s they should have been partying in Europe as part of a gap year but for some reason they ended up on the Camino. They were totally fed up, fed up with the camino experience, bored, fed up with the people they met, fed up with being woken up early, fed up with walking but having walked half the route they were determined to finish just because the previous two weeks had been so awful . I still wonder what they get out of the journey and if they finished.

Truth be told, when you’re on the camino it’s much harder to give up than it is to carry on. Although there are plenty of bus stops/train stations and a taxi is only a call away when you are having an OMG moment none of these seem to be close at hand and by the time you do get them to them the feeling has usually gone!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
That rainy day in March when I reached Azofra and found that only a small part of the 'old' albergue was open ... It was so cold I slept in ALL my clothes including hat and gloves. I didn't exactly want to be elsewhere though, just wished I had brought a warmer sleeping bag :)

these moments come in moments of misery or fear, when there's absolutely no other option but to keep on going.
I can remember a moment in an emergency room in O Barco de Valdeorras (Camino Invierno) when I was losing all my dignity, along with every molecule I'd ever consumed in my life to giardia infection. They were wiring me up to an IV and asking me who was my next of kin! What WAS I doing there?
I can remember a very long walk into Santo Domingo de la Calzada with a guy who was unable to stop talking about the marvellous wonders of being himself. I really wanted to just DIE.
And I can recall a toilet overflowing for the third time that day in the albergue in Orense.
No options, really. You just keep going.
And somewhere down the road you figure out just why you are there.

It would be very helpful to know where that "wrong fuente" is.. (insert smiley face here!)

Joodle, my very vague recollection is of refilling my water bottle from a fuente that might not have had the "Agua Potable" sign on it, somewhere between Cizur Menor and Estella (I recall a very bad smell coming from some sort of treatment plant coming into the village). If that was the case, and if it caused my malaise, then it was purely a case of my own stupidity. Of course it could have been something else? Sorry I can't be more helpful. :(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Lol. I remember walking up towards towards Orisson and thinking "I am retired! What the heck am I doing here-I could die on this pilgrimage!!"
I kept remembering people saying "Remember that the Camino is no joke!" I can now tell you that I completed the Camino Frances October 1st, 2013. It was wonderful, challenging and always surprising.
Guess what? I going back for more next late August 2016. I am a slow poke. You might see me on the road. Lol...Buen Camino.

Surprisingly, it wasn't on the day that I tripped over a rock (or something) on a nice even paved section of a road and bounced down along the road on my head, waterbottle, banana and camera flying ahead along with my poles and it wasn't when it was so hot that I just wanted hide in the shade and wait for a nice big cloud to cool things off. The moment....or moments were more along the way the few days before Astorga and I just kept wondering what I was doing on this trail. I kept thinking that it's a bit ridiculous to walk for more than a month across Spain. After Rabinal, everything seemed different and being back in the mountains made all the difference. I was once again thrilled to be just walking each day and living the experience.

While I was walking, it was hell. I've never felt that I had nothing left on a walk anywhere and this time, I was whacked before I got out of bed. When I got to Najera, I felt like a king. I had walked all day with a pack on my back at 62 when I felt like giving up from the beginning. When my wife got the bug in Santo Domingo, I suggested we take a taxi to Belorado but she wouldn't hear of it and dragged her seven stone body all the way. We both shake our heads when we talk about it now and realise that what we did was probably ill advised but also take some satisfaction from what we did.

I AM IMPRESSED!! What a dreadful few days. As Joodle said,she will bring some meds with her.i would also suggest some hydration sachets and although I KNOW that antibiotics is not the recommended treatment for food poisoning,they might in fact be needed and will keep you going. (badly put!) I mean walking.! I got food poisoning when walking with my daughter in Santa Domingo.it hit me after?? ice in the cola or?? unwashed salad. I was almost delirious with top and lower fluid loss to put it delicately. asked my daughter to get some antibiotics from the chemist ( they did back then but new policies now in e u) I took one every 2 hours and in 24 hours managed to crawl out of bed.and continue the walk the morning after. The rehydration liquid helped with the weakness and aches,so on we went. This was the only time I ever got tummy bug on any walk. Never had ice in my drink again however!! So if the dr would prescribe antibiotics-- just in case--- then the other stuff can be got over the counter. NNow I know there might be some posts saying that antibiotics should not be taken for food poisoning---I know that-- but for me it was a case of " needs must" and they got me through. Saying that , we have never regretted any day on any Camino and hope it will be so for Joodle. Best wishes Annette

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Surprisingly, it wasn't on the day that I tripped over a rock (or something) on a nice even paved section of a road
Funny, me too--I also fell badly this year, flat on my face, also on a smooth stretch of path on the way out of Logrono. It caused the worst black eye I've ever had, and my cheekbone took 4 months to stop hurting. But that's not what comes to mind when thinking about hard times on the road...but rather the times when the mind has little tantrums and wants OUT! And they can be over almost nothing, depending on fatigue and other conditions (eg...Rebekah's 'fun' companion sounds like the ultimate nightmare....).

I had a "what the heck am I doing here" moment the day I foolishly decided to bypass La Faba on the way to O'Cebreiro and ended up following some cattle being herded up a lonely, misty mountain road by two guys, one on foot and one in a car. Note the look on my face when I realised I was off track! I ended up in a place called Argenteiro where a kindly local literally pointed me in the right direction. The road seemed to go on forever, and kept climbing until finally I reached O'Ceb. Late lunch, accompanied by vino tinta, never tasted so good! The best part of this story is that I laughed the whole thing off as an experience and knew all along that I would make it to my destination. As many pilgrims say, the stage from Villafranca to O'Cebreiro is a challenge second only to the Route de Napoleon from SJPdP to Roncesvalles, even without my detour.

View media item 4049

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
My first thoughts of WTF am I doing here was the day I left SJPP on my first Camino, and on the second day leaving Orrison but I found those thoughts soon vanished into OMG look at what I am doing and where I am. Even though I spent 8 days in hospital in Santiago in ICU and walking from Leon I slowed down to a K and hour and sat down to give up just past the Crux de Ferro till I realised I was not going to give up as there were people around who showed me kindness I have never had before and there was nothing to fear. Oh I went back in 2014 and still had WTF days but they don't hurt you just stop have a break and talk with someone and you will realise they are in the same boat. And I can say that I will have those thoughts again next year in 2016 when I walk the Camino de Levante but I will not have any fear on the Camino. Buen Camino, and go for it.

Oh yes, almost 3 years ago on the meseta after a rain storm in the cold and then eating some bad mayo. The next day I could barely stand. This was a blessing in disguise however as it slowed me down. I enjoyed it much more from this point forward because I was living in the moment and not trying to get somewhere fast. I'll also always remember a stranger and a local in a cafe who took pity on me and helped me find a private place to sleep for about 36 hours. Buen Camino.

Yes...the first 2 days were difficult from SJPP. It was raining, windy and cold. I had jet-lag, had trained in Dallas which is flat. For a week, right about 3pm, I fantasized about taking a train, bus, hitch-hiking - any way I could go the next day to perhaps the Meseta, as it would be easier to walk. But each day I got stronger, would get up & put my boots on and I got better at being a pilgrim. :). There will be times where you think, why AM I doing this? Have I convinced myself that it's gonna be no big deal?
Truth is, the reason you think you're doing it will give way to the real reason, at least it did for me! It was the best thing I could EVER have done for myself. It was the hardest thing I've done before, both physically and spiritually. But you know what! There are Camino Angels along the way that keep you going on the right path. They pick you up (literally) when you fall, love you like a dear, old friend, show you that you really are strong and brave. The Camino provides you with whatever you need, like no other place I have been. You begin to let go of your fears so you find your rhythm with the rest of the world.
If you didn't ask or question why you're doing it, you'll never do it. Now that that is out of the way, Buen Camino, Pilgrim. You have begun the first steps on your Camino journey. God bless!
YES! YES! YES!

My first thoughts of WTF am I doing here was the day I left SJPP on my first Camino, and on the second day leaving Orrison but I found those thoughts soon vanished into OMG look at what I am doing and where I am. Even though I spent 8 days in hospital in Santiago in ICU and walking from Leon I slowed down to a K and hour and sat down to give up just past the Crux de Ferro till I realised I was not going to give up as there were people around who showed me kindness I have never had before and there was nothing to fear. Oh I went back in 2014 and still had WTF days but they don't hurt you just stop have a break and talk with someone and you will realise they are in the same boat. And I can say that I will have those thoughts again next year in 2016 when I walk the Camino de Levante but I will not have any fear on the Camino. Buen Camino, and go for it.
What trail is the Camino de Levante? I loved Levante Italy, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. Oh, and thanks so much for sharing your pilgrim stories. I think it helps people be better prepared to face forward and just keep putting one foot in front of the other during those times of thinking "please God, let me wake up in my own bed, and have this just be a bad dream"

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I'm a nurse and after reading this, I will get prescriptions for an anti nausea med, plus bring immodium.
It seems pretty normal to have a little stage fright before encountering a new experience. Someone told me that it just means that our body and mind are preparing for the journey. Just go for it. Sure, it is possible that something might happen along the way that frightens you but that is when others show up to help you get over it. You are not alone on the Camino. That is one of the rewards.

You made the comment that you are a nurse. You are going to become very popular with those in need some some medical attention. Mainly blisters. So you might want to bring along the necessary tools of the trade for taking care of feet along with the Imodium etc you already mentioned that you would bring with you. Providing this service will probably get you a lot of free wine along with appreciation from those you help. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a Saint Joodle yet, so you might have a shot.:)

Moments of "what the heck am I doing here?" Frequently. I walk from one room into another and ask myself the question. Happens all the time when you get to my age.
Ha Ha. I do that all the time. I just keep walking like i know what I'm doing and hope that I remember why i was headed there by the time I arrive.

It seems pretty normal to have a little stage fright before encountering a new experience. Someone told me that it just means that our body and mind are preparing for the journey. Just go for it. Sure, it is possible that something might happen along the way that frightens you but that is when others show up to help you get over it. You are not alone on the Camino. That is one of the rewards.

You made the comment that you are a nurse. You are going to become very popular with those in need some some medical attention. Mainly blisters. So you might want to bring along the necessary tools of the trade for taking care of feet along with the Imodium etc you already mentioned that you would bring with you. Providing this service will probably get you a lot of free wine along with appreciation from those you help. To the best of my knowledge there hasn't been a Saint Joodle yet, so you might have a shot.:)
Ha Ha! Saint Joodle, It does have a ring to it. On a more serious note, I was praying about my desire to make this journey, and I felt very strongly that I should make it to help others have a better journey and that felt like my purpose. See?? I'm a Saint already!! Seriously, that's the answer I got as to why I should go. I will gladly take some enjoyment for myself, however. I don't drink, but I may change that by the journeys end!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
When we decided to do it with a 14 month old we were only doing it because he had such a happy go lucky personality, liked change, liked walking in the pack, and always slept through the night. Based on domestic travel we anticipated a champ. The flight to Madrid was far more harrowing than we anticipated, and he was completely frazzled, wouldn't let anyone other than his mom hold him, wasn't sleeping consistently, cried and fussed a lot. We showed up in St Jean very worried, and considering abandoning the whole thing, only to be greeted by the worst May snowstorm St Jean had had in over a decade, and a week's worth of more bad weather ahead. We couldn't even find a taxi willing to take us ahead. So we took a series of trains back around the mountains to Iruna/Pamplona with one very grumpy child, and fully anticipating bagging the entire thing. But in pamplona he calmed down, started sleeping well, got happy again, we decided to give it one day walking and see......and he never had a bad day again. But man did we feel like the most irresponsible parents in the history of the world for about 72 hours in St Jean and Iruna/Pamplona

When we decided to do it with a 14 month old we were only doing it because he had such a happy go lucky personality, liked change, liked walking in the pack, and always slept through the night. Based on domestic travel we anticipated a champ. The flight to Madrid was far more harrowing than we anticipated, and he was completely frazzled, wouldn't let anyone other than his mom hold him, wasn't sleeping consistently, cried and fussed a lot. We showed up in St Jean very worried, and considering abandoning the whole thing, only to be greeted by the worst May snowstorm St Jean had had in over a decade, and a week's worth of more bad weather ahead. We couldn't even find a taxi willing to take us ahead. So we took a series of trains back around the mountains to Iruna/Pamplona with one very grumpy child, and fully anticipating bagging the entire thing. But in pamplona he calmed down, started sleeping well, got happy again, we decided to give it one day walking and see......and he never had a bad day again. But man did we feel like the most irresponsible parents in the history of the world for about 72 hours in St Jean and Iruna/Pamplona

WOW!!!. You really stuck it out. I would have been on the train headed home already. You have some stories and something to be extra proud about. What an effort on your behalf. I bow down to you.( That wasn't sarcasm, that was sincere!)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
WOW!!!. You really stuck it out. I would have been on the train headed home already. You have some stories and something to be extra proud about. What an effort on your behalf. I bow down to you.( That wasn't sarcasm, that was sincere!)
It sounds like perserverence now, but it was really called being stuck. We couldn't easily get back to spain from St Jean, and meanwhile we couldn't move the flight back up to like the next day.......so we mostly went to Pamplona planning to take a week's vacation in the Basque country before tucking our tails between our legs and flying back....if we could have gone straight to Madrid and flown we probably would have. But since that wasn't an option, we hung out in Pamplona and decided to wait and see, just in case.........and the rest is history.

Last edited:
When I took last year my 'little stroll across Europe' I had six weeks of nearly uninterrupted rain. I was one day after St.Gallen in the little town of Herisau and couldn't find a place to stay for the night. Hotels in Switzerland are EXTREMELY expensive. I was wet, I was tired, I was fed up with the whole project and was studying the train time table to get me back home. Why I am doing that? To get soaked for weeks on end? I was on my deepest point, ready to give up, to go home, throw the towel. Then I realized that I had come so far. I looked at the next available options and found a place a few kilometres out of town. Walked to there. When I met the lady who run the sleep in the straw accommodation she sighted. 'I am expecting some guests that only speak English later and I don't speak a word of it.' I spend the whole evening happily translating between the Swiss land lady and her American-Korean guests. That was where I was meant to spend the night ... Buen Camino, SY

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
No, I think you must be wonderful parents, and what an adventure and a bit of a nightmare too. I am sure you will tell your baby all about the Camino and, guess what, he will one day walk the way as well. Good luck to all of you Annette

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
No, I think you must be wonderful parents, and what an adventure and a bit of a nightmare too. I am sure you will tell your baby all about the Camino and, guess what, he will one day walk the way as well. Good luck to all of you Annette
Over two years later and he still walks around with his child's camino staff (gifted him by a shopkeeper in O'Cebreiro), talks about "the camino", and smiles whenever he sees video or photos of pilgrims walking (When we watched the documentary 6 ways to santiago when he was 2 1/2 he sat there mesmerized for 90 minutes). At the time of the camino it never bothered us that he "wouldnt remember", but we've found it very odd and melancholic to watch him remember much longer than we thought he would, knowing that he'll one day forget.

But....he eats pulpo. And I doubt that would have happened sans camino! haha

Last edited:
What trail is the Camino de Levante? I loved Levante Italy, but I don't think that's what you're talking about. Oh, and thanks so much for sharing your pilgrim stories. I think it helps people be better prepared to face forward and just keep putting one foot in front of the other during those times of thinking "please God, let me wake up in my own bed, and have this just be a bad dream"
Its the Camino path from Valencia up to Santiago, a quieter walk and as I have walked CF twice I was looking at something different and it gives me more time on the Camino.

But man did we feel like the most irresponsible parents in the history of the world for about 72 hours in St Jean and Iruna/Pamplona
Parents are amazing beings. And I'm amazed how well he remembers...and not that you'll ever forget! This will become family lore...

That was where I was meant to spend the night ... Buen Camino, SY
Oh, what fun, SY:confused: St Gallen is so nice, but not when one is feeling like a drowned rat.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Oh, St.Gallen was nice, the have an excellent albergue there, the next day was the problem, perhaps also because I just spend the night before in a real great albergue ... SY

Day 1 of our Camino and not even an hour out of SJPdP, my hubby had loped on ahead and I was walking with our compañero whose dream of walking the Way was one of the main reasons we were all here. I had already had to deal with some interpersonal issues that had completely ruined my birthday the day before. Our friend had trained with us and was fit enough (she completed her Camino) but was worried about crossing the Pyrenees. It was a difficult time. I ended up pushing and pulling both her and her pack and then carrying both it and mine all the way to Orisson. At one point I felt something give in my right foot as I pushed and she fell back onto me but thought that at worst it was muscle or some soft tissue strain.

Sitting on my bunk watching my exhausted compañero sleep, I truly thought that the Camino was over for all of us. I didn't sign up for any of this! We couldn't turn her around or just walk off and leave although I did consider it briefly. My head flooded with all sorts of muddled thoughts and negative emotions as I struggled to understand what had just happened. The person that we had trained with and knew for over 20 years was not the same person once she found herself overseas. Plus my foot was aching and hurt when I climbed up onto the top bunk.

I went for a long walk up the road to clear my head and came back for dinner. What a tonic! Great company, good food and not-so-good wine. Our compañero decided that she wasn't going to carry her pack and we then had it chauffeured all the way to Santiago. This changed the way we walked as we were tied down to pre-booked night stops but at least we were still walking. Some of the pilgrims we met at Orisson accompanied us, off and on, all the Way to Santiago and helped out when our group ran into problems further on.

Oh and my foot turned out to be broken but that's a whole other story.

And the friendship looks as though it's collateral damage as a consequence of our little adventure.

It was still a wonderful Camino because my hubby and I decided that we would accept what was and deal with it. He perhaps not as gracefully as I.

I'm sorry you lost a friendship and hope you continue to heal well, Meri. A cautionary tale for all of us.
It was still a wonderful Camino because my hubby and I decided that we would accept what was and deal with it.
But there is redemption--and something deep that has come out of your journey, from the sound of it. Lovely.

I'm sorry you lost a friendship and hope you continue to heal well, Meri. A cautionary tale for all of us.

But there is redemption--and something deep that has come out of your journey, from the sound of it. Lovely.

Don't know if the friendship is lost yet, perhaps just caught up in a purgatory of deep sadness. On sabbatical at least.

Yes, something very deep has come out of this journey and I can only just see the edges of it now. It will be interesting to see what unfolds.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
We have a pilgrim here right now who just asked that question before he went to sleep.
That was about 17 hours ago.
I think he might have an answer, if/when he ever wakes up.

Seriously, have you considered calling a doc??? Praying for said pilgrim, SY

Funny, me too--I also fell badly this year, flat on my face, also on a smooth stretch of path on the way out of Logrono. It caused the worst black eye I've ever had, and my cheekbone took 4 months to stop hurting. But that's not what comes to mind when thinking about hard times on the road...but rather the times when the mind has little tantrums and wants OUT! And they can be over almost nothing, depending on fatigue and other conditions (eg...Rebekah's 'fun' companion sounds like the ultimate nightmare....).
pics from Samsung phone 2015 185.jpg here's my little black eye from the flying fall I took. I was very lucky that I wasn't hurt more and am grateful to my ugly hat which saved my face.

On day 3 I woke up to a swollen knee and a tingling, swollen achilles heel that was throbbing. I most definitely thought what the heck am I doing here haha! I think most people do. But, took it day by day, as in life and somehow the Camino provided what I needed to help me find my way:) Through the struggle, as in life, you learn and grow.

We have a pilgrim here right now who just asked that question before he went to sleep.
That was about 17 hours ago.
I think he might have an answer, if/when he ever wakes up.
Keep us posted Rebekah...hoping you have a normal day today with no dramas on his account.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
here's my little black eye from the flying fall I took.
Please watch your step out there everyone...or in an instant you can find yourself eating dirt--and trust me, it doesn't taste good. (Not a 'What am I doing here?' moment, but definitely a 'How did I get here?' one.....)
Besides, then you get to walk around looking like this:

Attachments

• IMG_7432.JPG
    IMG_7432.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 29
What a great question......

That I asked myself most days :)

I found the emotional and spiritual elements of the Camino far more challenging than the physical. The physical is tangible. You can touch it, see it, and hopefully fix it or at least use different strategies to overcome it.

Whereas the emotional plays with your head. Not just what you are dealing with day to day, and the reasons that you are walking, but for me, I struggled with guilt a fair bit. For taking time out just for me, when others at home had challenges to deal with alone.

It features a fair bit in my 'Short Movie'. Link below. But it all turned out OK in the end......

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Please watch your step out there everyone...or in an instant you can find yourself eating dirt--and trust me, it doesn't taste good. (Not a 'What am I doing here?' moment, but definitely a 'How did I get here?' one.....)
Besides, then you get to walk around looking like this:
oh, my. That looks painful.

Thank you both. It was, for months. Only this month has the tenderness over the cheekbone completely gone. No complaints, though. It was a great lesson in both vulnerability and resilience--and on the Camino an open door to the kindness of many others.
The purple and green face about 3 days after this pic were quite a sight, though.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes, every time I'm up to my butt in Spanish liquid sunshine.

I'm up to my butt in liquid sunshine here in Washington state. I've lived her all my life and i have developed a great tolerance for rain. by the way, what is your choice of rain gear?

Event makes some very good stuff you can't buy direct. I purchase out of England Online from Karrimore. Get the expedition stuff. Originally my coat I am am still using was from REI, Very expensive. The Karrimore brand has different layers, I was in a downpour for 3 days. You stay dry & no sweat wet. It is still 40% cheaper to get it from England during the Christmas sales.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I'm up to my butt in liquid sunshine here in Washington state. I've lived her all my life and i have developed a great tolerance for rain. by the way, what is your choice of rain gear?[/QUOTE

Berghaus Paclite but remember to zip up the pockets.

After my Girlfriend got food poisoning twice in 5 days, I was going home. We made it to Leon and I was getting ready to book a flight home, but after two days of rest at the Hotel Paris we pressed on and made it to Santiago.

The Camino (by whatever route) is not a walk in the park. Blisters, equipment failure, rain, snow, mud and mountains, some or all, but none of which are the end of the world, they are just part of the experience. You are seldom alone, there are Angels, who seem to appear with a solution to the dilemma; and if no Angels you will be surprised at how self reliant you you can be. The Camino change for the better almost all who complete it. Buen Camino!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
There are always mishaps/mistakes/weird weather/and general wtf's on every trip. If you know that in advance and try not to let them throw you off track, they too will pass. Not talking about major accidents or injuries here, just the regular stuff. I recall one particularly challenging day limping uphill with a torn calf muscle and having to stop every 10 minutes to blow my nose from the cold I was just gifted where I said out loud, "This is awful, who's idea was this anyway?" Of course it was mine alone. But honestly I never thought about quitting. Just venting. And of course it did pass. By the time I reached the zero marker I was skipping along happily. So many great stories that off set the minor hassles.

We have problems because we judge, for no other reason. We have a script inside our heads and when reality deviates from the script we become unhappy - but, it just IS - the Universe manifests and it how we respond that is important, not what is happening.

We are not being shot at, nor bombed. We are not starving, we are not wildly dehydrated and drinking foul water to stay alive - we are walking on Camino - supposedly having an important inner journey. None of it is bad, or seriously difficult.

It just IS - stop judging and just accept it as it comes. Sometimes there are storm clouds, sometimes it is sunny - it just IS.

Buen Camino!

We have problems because we judge, for no other reason. We have a script inside our heads and when reality deviates from the script we become unhappy - but, it just IS - the Universe manifests and it how we respond that is important, not what is happening.

We are not being shot at, nor bombed. We are not starving, we are not wildly dehydrated and drinking foul water to stay alive - we are walking on Camino - supposedly having an important inner journey. None of it is bad, or seriously difficult.

It just IS - stop judging and just accept it as it comes. Sometimes there are storm clouds, sometimes it is sunny - it just IS.

Buen Camino!
I think the main problem here is that many walkers or pilgrims are not prepared for what walking on the Camino brings and it can be a great shock to the system. The film The Way is a lovely film and I loved watching it. But for many,it's seen through rose tinted glasses.no mention of sore feet, blisters,or the exhaustion that the daily pounding on tracks brings. And off they go!!! On our first Camino ten years ago I developed blisters during the first week and by the time we got to Santiago I was on my knees. Never knew such pain. I learnt a lot then and have never had another blister on the subsequent caminos. For some reason however I never once thought what the heck am I doing here? ( stupidity perhaps in retrospect)!! For whatever reason we walk we are all so lucky to be able to walk the Camino.

I had a 'what the hell am I doing here' moment outside Puenta La Reina in Sept 2015. Shit, another damn hill! My husband was ahead of me, chatting away with another pilgrim (which didn't bother me really because I was crying to myself and he would have snapped me out of it earlier than I wanted to). I was mad at myself for having the gall to even suggest such a walk in the first place. How arrogant of me! What an idiot, I was crying as I moved up that damn hill. I then thought, well, what I need is music and I reached for my itouch in my coat pocket. My dog's picture is on the screen saver, so I cried some more. I put the itouch back, sighed, pulled it back out again and with it came a rubber band which was not there seconds earlier. Long story there, but that was a sign that my dad was with me and I cried harder. I put the earbuds in and played shuffle. The first song to come on was "Southern Cross" by CSN, which reminds me of my father-in-law. So I had both deceased fathers helping me up that hill that day. I felt so much better with my music playing, and once I reached the top of the hill I was fine. But it was touch and go whether I was just going to sit down somewhere and stop for good.

I had a 'what the hell am I doing here' moment outside Puenta La Reina in Sept 2015. Shit, another damn hill! My husband was ahead of me, chatting away with another pilgrim (which didn't bother me really because I was crying to myself and he would have snapped me out of it earlier than I wanted to). I was mad at myself for having the gall to even suggest such a walk in the first place. How arrogant of me! What an idiot, I was crying as I moved up that damn hill. I then thought, well, what I need is music and I reached for my itouch in my coat pocket. My dog's picture is on the screen saver, so I cried some more. I put the itouch back, sighed, pulled it back out again and with it came a rubber band which was not there seconds earlier. Long story there, but that was a sign that my dad was with me and I cried harder. I put the earbuds in and played shuffle. The first song to come on was "Southern Cross" by CSN, which reminds me of my father-in-law. So I had both deceased fathers helping me up that hill that day. I felt so much better with my music playing, and once I reached the top of the hill I was fine. But it was touch and go whether I was just going to sit down somewhere and stop for good.
Yes but you did it!! I honestly don't think I could walk 800 km without my little shuffle. Keeps me going when the going gets tough and puts a spring in my step! In fact I have 2 of them just in case one gets lost or broken. Who says I'm not prepared!! Best wishes Annette

Walking out of Logroño on a dull cold drizzleing March morning with no breakfast. What the heck am I doing on this fools errand. Hills and plains had been tough but this 'wee dander' through the city streets and then a park on Palm Sunday was the toughest. I was down, depressed, hungry and missing my wife. I just wanted to be home. Got to the cafe by the lake and had breakfast. A little red squirrel came along and climbed up onto my backpack. Somehow I felt better and had another coffee. The sun came out and suddenly all was right with the world until the meseta. Cold wet and deep mud. My son had flown home on Holy thursday and I was on my own. It rained and rained. My waterproof jacket was not good enough and I was soaked to the skin. I had heard from home that 2013 was the worst snowstorm in the north of Ireland since 1963. My wife was snowed in without heating or electricity. This time there was no red squirrel to distract me from my woes and so on Easter Sunday I was back in Burgos waiting for the bus to Madrid. But still I overcame it. My wife 'ordered' me back in September and everytime I felt down, I thought of her pushing me on all the way to Santiago. There were other days but hey, if you are interested, check my signature. I wrote a book about it and have just retyped half of it here :)

Very good question

The only time was once, the people I met in SJPDP & walked with until they had to go home or bus ahead due to limited time. I had grown so close to them that it hurt to see them go. Yet I pushed on & the thought of stopping was gone by the end of the next day. If you find yourself asking that question, my advise is push on, as Every day is a new adventure.
I agree with you It happens. When I was doing the Camino del Norte we had some hardships such as rain and I became discouraged and aksed myself what I was doing. No sooner was back in Madrid and I wanted to go back on the Camino.

Walking out of Logroño on a dull cold drizzleing March morning with no breakfast. What the heck am I doing on this fools errand. Hills and plains had been tough but this 'wee dander' through the city streets and then a park on Palm Sunday was the toughest. I was down, depressed, hungry and missing my wife. I just wanted to be home. Got to the cafe by the lake and had breakfast. A little red squirrel came along and climbed up onto my backpack. Somehow I felt better and had another coffee. The sun came out and suddenly all was right with the world until the meseta. Cold wet and deep mud. My son had flown home on Holy thursday and I was on my own. It rained and rained. My waterproof jacket was not good enough and I was soaked to the skin. I had heard from home that 2013 was the worst snowstorm in the north of Ireland since 1963. My wife was snowed in without heating or electricity. This time there was no red squirrel to distract me from my woes and so on Easter Sunday I was back in Burgos waiting for the bus to Madrid. But still I overcame it. My wife 'ordered' me back in September and everytime I felt down, I thought of her pushing me on all the way to Santiago. There were other days but hey, if you are interested, check my signature. I wrote a book about it and have just retyped half of it here :)

That post scared the stuffing out of me. There is nothing worse than slogging through cold mud and rain with a cold wind on the side. I should know, I'm from Washington state. I will just curl up under a tarp and pray to wake up in my own bed at home. Think that will work??

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
That post scared the stuffing out of me.
And as you say you don't scare easily!
Here's a pic of such fun (Before SD de Ortega, in late March). It had been sunny and warm...then cooler and rainy...then...this. It was freezing (literally) in the albergue that night. Word to the wise--if it looks like this when you get here, keep on walking and stay in Ages.

The difference on the Camino is that one can get out of the weather. Albergues may be basic, but they are dry--so thankfully there's no need to sleep under a tarp in the rain.

Attachments

• Belorado - San Juan 21-3-2015 (1024x768).jpg
    Belorado - San Juan 21-3-2015 (1024x768).jpg
    338.7 KB · Views: 36
Here's a pic of such fun (Before SD de Ortega, in late March). It had been sunny and warm...then cooler and rainy...then...this. It was freezing (literally) in the albergue that night. Word to the wise--if it looks like this when you get here, keep on walking and stay in Ages.

The difference on the Camino is that one can get out of the weather. Albergues may be basic, but they are dry--so thankfully there's no need to sleep under a tarp in the rain.
When I opened that picture, I just had to laugh out loud. Thank heaven I have a very developed sense of humor. I can usually get through anything with laughter. I may have met my match if I meet up with mud like that. Thanks for the encouragement:rolleyes:

When I opened that picture, I just had to laugh out loud.
Well, that's exactly what I did before I took the pic. What else to do?? It was too absurd...I mean...how to get around that?
So I fell back on the habit from childhood of gleefully stomping through the deepest part. Thinking I would be able to have a hot shower that night.
Uhhhh....Go to Ages, believe me...I didn't.
On the camino we make it somehow, and come out much stronger and more relaxed in the face of challenge...

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Ah, the mud, the mud. Such wonderful stuff. I don't mind the sloshy slippery stuff - wade through it in my sandals and wash it off afterwards. It's the sticky, thick, lead-heavy type that I find exhausting - the stuff that substitutes for a weight lifting machine. Makes one kilometre feel like 10.

Ummmm... What is that so many say about the danger of Goretex shoes :confused:

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know anemone. That day I changed into my boots, but it didn't matter...goretex is pretty useless when the mud's over the tops. It'd have been different if I had had gaiters, but who carries those? Well, not me anymore.

I'm having one right now. This whole Camino has been horrible from the start. Other pilgrims are really unfriendly, and there is a very strong "holier than thou" mentality from some, while others are just doing drugs, screwing and picking fights with everyone. Had the rudest encounter ever with the hospitalero in Astoria. He didn't know my companion spoke Spanish so he said some ride things about us to another Spaniard that was present. I seriously don't know what I'm doing here. Has things changed so radically or have I just been really lucky on all my other caminos. I'm hoping to be able to finish with the shell for Denise in ten days or so. But I'm probably never doing the CF again! *sadface*

I'm having one right now. This whole Camino has been horrible from the start. Other pilgrims are really unfriendly, and there is a very strong "holier than thou" mentality from some, while others are just doing drugs, screwing and picking fights with everyone. Had the rudest encounter ever with the hospitalero in Astoria. He didn't know my companion spoke Spanish so he said some ride things about us to another Spaniard that was present. I seriously don't know what I'm doing here. Has things changed so radically or have I just been really lucky on all my other caminos. I'm hoping to be able to finish with the shell for Denise in ten days or so. But I'm probably never doing the CF again! *sadface*
Now that honesty sacred me. Have I waited too long to do the Camino Francis? Is the time past for a good experience due to it's current popularity? Weigh in please:(

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I did the CF October last year and it was wonderful. That is why I'm so confused and sad right now. I wasn't planning on doing it again so soon. But my job had my stress-levels riding super high. So when I got a chance to take some time off, I thought this would help me heal.

So sorry to hear this, Nikki, it sounds awful.
I had a wonderful Camino in March/April, with Easter Week square in the middle of it. Crowded at times, but none of what you describe. I wonder if there would be a change if you were to pause for a day or two and let this wave of Bozos go on by? And if there's no improvement in the company...heck, you're 2 days from the Invierno--you can peel off at Ponferrada and you'll have the road to yourself and plenty of peace and quiet, almost all the way to Santiago.

€46,-
Wow I had heard this occasionally from others, yet I had or could not believe it. On your previous walks were they the same time of year? Being that I believe in light & dark or good & evil. It may be a part of this camino? I will pray for some good will. Stay strong & push thru it.

Keith

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back