• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any news on the Napoleon route

Dave C.

Time of past OR future Camino
Francis (2016)
SJ to Santo Domingo (2017)
Santo Domingo to Fromista (2018)
SJPdP to Burgos (2019)
Does anyone know if the restrictions for the Napoleon route changed on April 1st? I know you need to check daily for safety, but want to know the status of the closing. I leave SJPdP in 7 days.
Dave C.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The Napoleon reopens on April 1st so legally it will be ok. You should still check at the Pilgrim Office in St Jean on the day of departure or the day before for the most up to date information and advice. If they advise not to take it please listen as they are very experienced on these matters and have your best interests in mind. Go safely.
Buen Camino.

The Napoleon reopens on April 1st so legally it will be ok. You should still check at the Pilgrim Office in St Jean on the day of departure or the day before for the most up to date information and advice. If they advise not to take it please listen as they are very experienced on these matters and have your best interests in mind. Go safely.
Buen Camino.
I realize you need to check with the Pilgrim's office, I just wanted to know if anyone had first hand knowledge if it was still closed due to the recent snow. Or if the closure was extended.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
One of our friends from the Australian Pilgrims forum crossed via Valcarlos yesterday and her photos are lovely and sunny . I can see a layer of snow on the top of the range. Pilgrim office advised against the Napoleon.
Rhonda also said there were 200 arrivals at Roncesvalles by 5pm yesterday and still coming. Wow!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
According to this weather forecast for the Puerto de Ibañeta, snow is forecast for the 6th, 7th, 8th and 9th of April.

I'm due to leave SJPDP on the 6th - I'll try to update here

Wind to 90 kph today, followed by several days of rain then snow! Since weather generally moves from west to east, the forecast for the Pyrenees is fairly accurate a couple of days in advance. Farther out than that, it is pretty speculative in the details. With the temperature forecast to drop only to about freezing in Roncesvalles, the snow may not materialize except at higher altitudes. You will descend into Roncesvalles, so at your highest elevation on either route, you may get a small amount of snow. Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Buen Camino.
Do the rules say "open oh April First" or mor along the lines of "closed at least until April 1st"?

You will not be able to judge whether Napoleon route will be open when you arrive based on weather forcast, extended forcast, forcast at Roncevalles (not in the Pyrenees!). Weather forcast's are not 100% scientific fact, and the only way you will know, is to go to the SJPDP Pilgrim Office the day before or day of departure. They have the most up to date info. I went over the top April 17th 2014, blue skies and temp's lo 60's. yet it was closed the next day. Be prepared to take the alternate route, or wait out bad weather.

Buen Camino,
Janice

Do the rules say "open oh April First" or mor along the lines of "closed at least until April 1st"?
Its open from April 1st but as you know it may still be closed due to adverse weather. If one travels it against advice and gets into trouble it may cost them their lives but it will cost them a lot of money to pay the Emergency Services for the rescue costs.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Route Napoleon still closed apparently for a while still and if people are walking to Orisson they are being transported to Valcarlos.

Have just walked the Road on the 7th to Roncesvalles. The Napoleon Route was closed due to snow. When we left Roncesvalles it was thick snow and snowed all day.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Snow is easy. Bring crampons for your boots and a toboggan on which to tow your stuff.

And if you don't know enough about walking in mountains under spring snow conditions ... then don't. Napoleon route isn't the place to learn.

You should be able to see if there is snow on the hills from SJPdP. If the pilgrim office advises that its okay ... then remember that you must still rely on your own good judgement.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back