• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Any North Americans flying to Spain?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.
Time of past OR future Camino
2006 to date: Over 21 Caminos. See signature line
I admit I have not read all the posts - I've been busy moving my elderly mother from CA to OR and it's been a whole new adventure! lol!

BUT, I'm wondering what's going on in the airline ticket world?
Are any of you flying into Spain this Spring?
What are ticket prices like?
Are there restrictions (like having to get a vaccination?)

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Since there is currently no Covid vaccination, that isn't a restriction.
We'll just have to wait and see if it's possible for those from the US and Mexico to travel to Spain in the Spring. Canadians currently are able to.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The budget airline Level has direct flights between Montreal, San Francisco, Boston and NYC in North America and Barcelona, Paris and London. Also some connections in Spain and elsewhere in Europe. I flew economy last year and was happy.

Example one way fare: Boston to Barcelona on March 2 has a fare of $140 USD.

It is a waste of time to look at the fares.
This came in while I was writing my post. Mainly I wanted to call attention to Level.
I am suffering from wanderlust and looked making a get away to the Caribbean Islands.
How about Puerto Rico, St. Thomas or St. Croix?
It is not possible for US citizens. no flights what so ever!
They are American possessions. Maybe there are flights there.

I admit I have not read all the posts - I've been busy moving my elderly mother from CA to OR and it's been a whole new adventure! lol!

Hi Annie,
I have wondered where you've been, so it's nice to see you today on the forum again. I'm sure that getting your mother situated in Oregon has been quite a big undertaking. I recall you have mentioned her on occasion on your website over the last few years.
I hope you are doing well in your recovery from your surgery last spring. I appreciated you sharing your story. Sounds like you are eager to get back to the Camino like so many of us are!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
This came in while I was writing my post. Mainly I wanted to call attention to Level.

The US Virgin Islands rolled up their welcome mats in August, no visitors. Puerto Rico allows visitors but the rules are pretty picky.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Since there is currently no Covid vaccination, that isn't a restriction.
We'll just have to wait and see if it's possible for those from the US and Mexico to travel to Spain in the Spring. Canadians currently are able to.
Spain might let Canadians enter their country, but travel restrictions are in place at all Canadian international border crossings for non-essential travel, and Spain, among many other countries, is on a non-essential travel-restricted list. If I were to go to Spain, I would automatically forfeit access to services of the Canadian Government while I am there and my excellent travel insurance would be invalidated.
Although I know that travel to Spain to walk the Camino is essential to my well-being and my life, my government doesn’t agree. I will walk mini-Caminos nearby until it is safe to return to Spain.

I thought (from another site) that "non-essential" travel from the US to Mexico was discouraged by your State Department?
I am an American living in Mexico. The border is closed traveling by foot or car. It is also closed to tour ships. You can fly. I will tell anyone thinking of coming here that the pandemic is still going strong here. I lived in Puerto Vallarta until last month and it has gone from everyone wearing masks and taking precautions to almost no one wearing masks or taking precautions. Most restaurants, all malls and the big stores and groceries require masks and people wear them. ALot do not cover their nose so a mask is really rendered almost useless. I moved to an area called Lake Chapala. Many people visit here from Guadalajara and again most people are not wearing masks. The requirements are the same regarding shopping and eating as in Puerto Vallarta (same state). It is reported that the true number of cases and deaths are as much as10 times higher than what the government reports. Even government health officials have stated this on occasion. I feel safe as I do not go out very much at all and always wear a mask. But I would not vacation here now.

Spain might let Canadians enter their country, but travel restrictions are in place at all Canadian international border crossings for non-essential travel, and Spain, among many other countries, is on a non-essential travel-restricted list. If I were to go to Spain, I would automatically forfeit access to services of the Canadian Government while I am there and my excellent travel insurance would be invalidated.
Although I know that travel to Spain to walk the Camino is essential to my well-being and my life, my government doesn’t agree. I will walk mini-Caminos nearby until it is safe to return to Spain.

Thanks for your update Marylynn....hoping you are well. Fondest greetings - sandi, walking daily so that I can be 'ready' when the time comes.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
If I were to go to Spain, I would automatically forfeit access to services of the Canadian Government while I am there and my excellent travel insurance would be invalidated.
Not quite so black and white, but that IS a risk. More precisely, from the Canadian government website:

"If you choose to travel despite these advisories:
  • you may have difficulty obtaining essential products and services
  • you may suddenly face strict movement restrictions and quarantines at designated facilities and at your own cost
  • your insurance may not cover your travel or medical expenses
  • we may have limited capacity to offer you consular services."

I would recommend that, if anyone travels from Canada to Spain, they have a clear in-print picture from their insurance provider of what is covered-- remember that many policies are invalid when there is a Canadian government travel advisory in effect-- and if quarantine or delayed departure costs are covered. Ontario decided last year that the provincial health insurance scheme will not cover you for any expenses outside the country (agreements with other provinces cover you in Canada).

I have heard good things about Canadian consular staff in Madrid but, if the second wave continues to worsen, their ability to be of assistance will become more limited.

And do not forget that you will have to quarantine on returning to Canada.

Last edited:

There is a difference in being allowed to do something and that something being a smart thing to do. No?

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am an American living in Mexico. The border is closed traveling by foot or car. It is also closed to tour ships. You can fly. I will tell anyone thinking of coming here that the pandemic is still going strong here. I lived in Puerto Vallarta until last month and it has gone from everyone wearing masks and taking precautions to almost no one wearing masks or taking precautions. Most restaurants, all malls and the big stores and groceries require masks and people wear them. ALot do not cover their nose so a mask is really rendered almost useless. I moved to an area called Lake Chapala. Many people visit here from Guadalajara and again most people are not wearing masks. The requirements are the same regarding shopping and eating as in Puerto Vallarta (same state). It is reported that the true number of cases and deaths are as much as10 times higher than what the government reports. Even government health officials have stated this on occasion. I feel safe as I do not go out very much at all and always wear a mask. But I would not vacation here now.
I live in Los Angeles and drive to Baja where I have an AirBnB home. Have not had any problem enteing or leaving San Ysidro border.

I ran away when I was 17 to Puerto Rico. Worked as a go-go dancer in a bar in Old San Juan on Cataño Bay called "The Big Bamboo!" Met a guy, got married, had my first son in Christiansted, St. Croix. Those islands in the 70's were AWESOME! I still have friends living there. I was there about 6-7 years. The good old days!

Hi Annie,
I have wondered where you've been, so it's nice to see you today on the forum again. I'm sure that getting your mother situated in Oregon has been quite a big undertaking. I recall you have mentioned her on occasion on your website over the last few years.
I hope you are doing well in your recovery from your surgery last spring. I appreciated you sharing your story. Sounds like you are eager to get back to the Camino like so many of us are!

Yes, I'm anxious, though I don't know if it will happen this year. I do have a group for the Spring and we're waiting to see what happens. I had TWO groups, but several people cancelled b/c of Covid. Even if I keep the ones I have, I think Joe will be leading it this coming season if we're able to fly. I probably can't leave my mother this year. But am SURE looking forward to 2022! Or maybe even later in the 2021 season. I'm a little sad, but life happens...it's been a weird danged year!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The budget airline Level has direct flights between Montreal, San Francisco, Boston and NYC in North America and Barcelona, Paris and London. Also some connections in Spain and elsewhere in Europe. I flew economy last year and was happy.

Thanks. Do you think it is okay to book from the US to Spain? I would think so but was wondering if you had.

Hey Annie,

We cancelled our October trip... We are thinking of maybe booking for March/April. I have not booked my tickets yet. I did look on American Airlines and if we booked before December you can cancel and change your flights. The price for March/April was around $900-1200 per person. There are some lesser fares from the larger cities, but we need to get to the larger cities. Raleigh to Madrid.

My niece got a TAP ticket one way for $83.00 for May. NYC to Amsterdam.

Let me know what you find. Right now we are not allowed to enter the EU as a tourist.

The British Virgin Islands are opening to foreigners on December 1 (but it is virtually impossible to socially distance on the St. Thomas ferry or at the Roadtown port of entry.)

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
It is a waste of time to look at the fares. I am suffering from wanderlust and looked making a get away to the Caribbean Islands. It is not possible for US citizens. no flights what so ever!
You can go to Puerto Rico, because it's a US territory. Some restrictions, such as a negative COVID test before leaving US. I'm going at Christmas. Lots of interesting things to do there.

Thanks. Do you think it is okay to book from the US to Spain? I would think so but was wondering if you had.
I wouldn't right now and I haven't. However, you may find the fare cheap enough to book now and just skip the flight if things look bad when the time arrives to leave.

Last year I had my return home from Barcelona to Boston already booked but I decided to leave earlier. The flight contract said I would have to pay a $200 dollar rebooking fee so I paid for a new economy fare home at about $100 instead. Once home I called Level to tell them I wouldn't be on the originally scheduled flight so they could resell the seat and make some money. The fare they publish includes taxes and airport fees BTW so they may have flown me across the Atlantic for $75 or so in their coffers. I also noticed once that the difference in fares between Boston and San Francisco was just $80, to fly you across a continent.

You can go to Puerto Rico, because it's a US territory. Some restrictions, such as a negative COVID test before leaving US. I'm going at Christmas. Lots of interesting things to do there.
I have been there numerous times. Their current restriction and taxi use requirements do not excite me.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you for your post, It got me to thinking of this again.
I also have a very strong desire to walk the Camino this late summer/fall... (It would be my second, the first was very early spring 2018)
I have "zero" personal fear of catching Covid. "I will either get it or not" I leave it into God's hands.
I try to worry only about what I can control not what I cannot.
I fully respect what covid can do to some people, some being much higher risk than others.
Therefore when traveling, I am fully obedient, I wear my mask, etc., when I am required to.
I have no problems with that.
If I could go, I would follow the rules for each area traveling through.
I think the boarder travel restrictions are my biggest and most obvious obstacle, clearly preventing me from going. However there is that other thing called "life"... Business of life is another serious obstacle.... This year has been a crazy-busy year at our house!!!
I love the definition I heard for "Life" = That which happens in spite of the best laid plans"
Blessings to you and yours, Buen Camino! -kevin-

Just checked for Montreal. No return flight possible. For any date!!!! One flight available towards Europe on Oct 25th. That’s it. That’s all.

Very few options for now.

Just checked for Montreal. No return flight possible. For any date!!!! One flight available towards Europe on Oct 25th. That’s it. That’s all.

Very few options for now.
I think you have to play around a bit more. Their user interface is not the best (cheap fares leave little cash for development). I did look a little around bit and although I didn't see anything after November I did find Montreal to Paris (Orly) on October 25 for $220.20 Canadian with a return on November 29 for $208.10. In Spain you'll have to walk a bit faster than most but you might make it to Santiago and back to Paris in time.

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Lufthansa is offering CovId tests for its passengers....
Europe is still banned so having testing is the way for airlines to get things moving.

United is starting to offer Covid tests for flights to Hawaii...someone who wants to go on vacation from USA might consider this. One can take an at home test for 80 dollars. The airport test, I think s $250? Then there is no need for two week quarantine.

I also have a very strong desire to walk the Camino this late summer/fall... (It would be my second, the first was very early spring 2018)
I have "zero" personal fear of catching Covid. "I will either get it or not" I leave it into God's hands.
I fully respect what covid can do to some people, some being much higher risk than others.
Therefore when traveling, I am fully obedient, I wear my mask, etc., when I am required to.
I think the boarder travel restrictions are my biggest and most obvious obstacle, clearly preventing me from going. However there is that other thing called "life"... Business of life is another serious obstacle.... This year has been a crazy-busy year at our house!!!
I love the definition I heard for "Life" = That which happens in spite of the best laid plans"
Kevin, you may have no fear of catching COVID, and I applaud your taking precautions as you described, but there is also the risk that one may inadvertently spread the illness to those encountered in Spain. Coming from the USA, with the highest numbers of COVID worldwide, surely wisdom does dictate NOT crossing borders? Therefore, as you say, it is better to stay at home - not so much for one's own safety, but to protect others.

someone who wants to go on vacation from USA might consider this. One can take an at home test for 80 dollars. The airport test, I think s $250? Then there is no need for two week quarantine.
Universal testing before travel may eventually be the sensible way forward. Of course all this is predicated on access to reliable tests.
(Uhhh...Hawai'i is the 50th state of the USA. I suppose you meant the mainland/Continental USA.)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I'm wondering what's going on in the airline ticket world?
American Airlines has flights departing from Santa Ana CA (connect at Chicago) on Apr 20th, 2021 and return flight early June from MAD to LAX for about $1100 for economy, just over $1200 for Econ + and $2700 for business class. United Airlines has flights available for spring 2021 also.

Universal testing before travel may eventually be the sensible way forward. Of course all this is predicated on access to reliable tests.
(Uhhh...Hawai'i is the 50th state of the USA. I suppose you meant the mainland/Continental USA.)
I've had two covid antigen tests prior to visiting relatives. Results in about 20 minutes, and my insurance paid.

Lufthansa is offering CovId tests for its passengers....
I have never heard of this. I had a look at Frankfurt-Madrid-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-New York-Frankfurt on their website. BTW, Lufthansa allow rebooking without fees, and you can book a "free neighbour seat" and subscribe to a "bring me home" policy ...

What there is are test centres at Frankfurt and Munich airports. Passengers arriving from "high-risk zones" (as declared by their version of the CDC) such as Spain and the USA must quarantine for 14 days unless they have proof of a negative test, taken either shortly before departure or within 10 days of arrival in Germany. There is no such obligation for departing passengers but they can take a test voluntarily and must pay for it. 59 € for a result within 12 hours after sample receipt and 139 € for a result within 6 hours.

There is no such obligation at arrival in Madrid or New York, at least none that I can see on the Lufthansa website. In Madrid, you just have to show your QR code from the SpTH app and have your temperature taken ... I am aware of travel restrictions for tourists; fact is that a number of people do travel under these restrictions and are entitled to do so.

Given the generous (compared to earlier) rebooking options of many airlines, even for their cheapest flights, it is certainly worth looking into booking a flight now for next April or May ...

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
That is not known. Too far into the future for March/April 2021. We are all assuming of course that by then the travel restrictions will have been lifted or eased considerably, that we are all able to get a Covid-19 vaccination and that it will provide 100% protection ...

We are all assuming of course that by then the travel restrictions will have been lifted or eased considerably, that we are all able to get a Covid-19 vaccination and that it will provide 100% protection ...
;)
(Not to be a wet blanket, but I'm not holding my breath on any of those things.)

59 € for a result within 12 hours after sample receipt and 139 € for a result within 6 hours.
Oh, that's not all. For an additional charge of 9 €, there is the option to add identity verification proof to show that the test results belong to you and have not been tampered with. And some federal states (similar to the autonomous regions of Spain) require a medical certificate on the health status of the traveler, in addition to a negative test result. You can get it for an additional charge of 25 €.

Now I know of course that you want to fly from the States to Madrid or Paris and not to Frankfurt or Munich. Still ... put a few extra €'s into your piggybank for your camino next spring ... you may need it. ☺

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
As a Canadian, apparently the only N. American country from which people are currently legally allowed to fly to Spain, I can state that while Canadians are allowed to travel to/isolate in/travel in Europe/return/isolate at home, Canadians generally don’t even travel within Canada because we respect the seriousness of the virus and respect those we may come in contact with. We look forward to respectfully travelling to your gorgeous country, but only when it is safe for everyone involved.

only when it is safe for everyone involved.
The thread is about planning tentatively for spring 2021. @Anniesantiago asks: "Are any of you flying into Spain this spring?" That's six to seven months from now.

Some but not all current restrictions on travel and entry into Spain may still be in place then, even when it has become a lot safer to travel anywhere and in particular to Spain than now. And when is anything "safe for everyone involved" anyway?

Last edited:
As a Canadian, apparently the only N. American country from which people are currently legally allowed to fly to Spain
This is not accurate information.

Spain allows holders of EU passports or EU residency cards or North American spouses of EU citizens (the legal term is "citizens of the Union") to travel from anywhere to Spain; in the case of such spouses with the additional condition that they travel together. They can travel from where they live, i.e. outside of Canada and even when the EU passport is their second passport in addition to their US passport for example, or in the case of accompanying spouses, when they don't even have a secondary passport from an EU country. A number of forum members from North America fulfil these conditions.

If someone wants to see official information from the Spanish government, go for example to the website of the Embassy of Spain in the United States and read their FAQ about current entry conditions, in force since 1 July 2020, point 17: http://www.exteriores.gob.es/Embajadas/WASHINGTON/es/Embajada/Paginas/FAQs-COVID-19.aspx

A forum member went on such a trip from Los Angeles to Spain recently in September, click here for first-hand experience and factual reporting. The flight was LAX-CDG-BCN and he has a (US-)American passport.

Last edited:
Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
Last edited:
Whatever you think about the likelihood of catching coronavirus, or infecting others, the biggest problem with planning international travel right now is not finding cheap flights, rather it is arranging adequate insurance. Most governments have produced lists of countries that they believe to be high-risk places to travel. If you visit countries on these lists you are deemed to be travelling against government advice and in most cases your travel insurance will be invalid. For North Americans, many European countries are on these lists, including France and Spain.

I travel a lot, over six months every year away from home leading guided tours and undertaking commissions to write guidebooks. I am 72 years of age and arranging travel insurance is becoming increasingly expensive. However, I would NEVER make an extensive foreign trip without adequate insurance. Earlier this year (pre-coronavirus) I had a road accident in Costa Rica. The hospital bill for post-accident operations and five weeks hospitalisation came to over $200,000. Thankfully this was paid by my travel insurance company.

For EU citizens travelling in the EU and some neighbouring countries, the position is slightly different. An EHIC card, available to all citizens, provides for free medical care throughout the EHIC zone. This does not fully replace the need for travel insurance, but it does cover the largest potential type of cost you might incur. So traveling to Spain is possible for EU citizens, though slightly risky, without travel insurance cover. I do not know if dual-nationality EU passport holders resident in North America qualify for EHIC, but if you are a dual-national it is worth finding out. Mind you, there is still the matter of potential repatriation costs after an accident/illness and these are not covered by EHIC.

I do not know if dual-nationality EU passport holders resident in North America qualify for EHIC, but if you are a dual-national it is worth finding out.
They don't qualify. EHIC card requires residency in an EU country and membership of the health insurance system of that country (in numerous cases, membership of the public health insurance system does not even come automatically with residency!)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Whatever you think about the likelihood of catching coronavirus, or infecting others, the biggest problem with planning international travel right now is not finding cheap flights, rather it is arranging adequate insurance. Most governments have produced lists of countries that they believe to be high-risk places to travel. If you visit countries on these lists you are deemed to be travelling against government advice and in most cases your travel insurance will be invalid. For North Americans, many European countries are on these lists, including France and Spain.

I travel a lot, over six months every year away from home leading guided tours and undertaking commissions to write guidebooks. I am 72 years of age and arranging travel insurance is becoming increasingly expensive. However, I would NEVER make an extensive foreign trip without adequate insurance. Earlier this year (pre-coronavirus) I had a road accident in Costa Rica. The hospital bill for post-accident operations and five weeks hospitalisation came to over $200,000. Thankfully this was paid by my travel insurance company.

For EU citizens travelling in the EU and some neighbouring countries, the position is slightly different. An EHIC card, available to all citizens, provides for free medical care throughout the EHIC zone. This does not fully replace the need for travel insurance, but it does cover the largest potential type of cost you might incur. So traveling to Spain is possible for EU citizens, though slightly risky, without travel insurance cover. I do not know if dual-nationality EU passport holders resident in North America qualify for EHIC, but if you are a dual-national it is worth finding out. Mind you, there is still the matter of potential repatriation costs after an accident/illness and these are not covered by EHIC.

i looked at several Current insurance plans being offered from USA to EU. If you are over 70, most are offering only a Max of $ 10,000 for hospitalization, though they indicate they will cover Covid. However, if one, unfortunately contracts Covid while in Spain, this coverage limit would be woefully inadequate.

HAS anyone seen a better health coverage plan for those 70+ FOR COVID 19 in EU?

I have never heard of this. I had a look at Frankfurt-Madrid-Frankfurt and Frankfurt-New York-Frankfurt on their website. BTW, Lufthansa allow rebooking without fees, and you can book a "free neighbour seat" and subscribe to a "bring me home" policy ...

What there is are test centres at Frankfurt and Munich airports. Passengers arriving from "high-risk zones" (as declared by their version of the CDC) such as Spain and the USA must quarantine for 14 days unless they have proof of a negative test, taken either shortly before departure or within 10 days of arrival in Germany. There is no such obligation for departing passengers but they can take a test voluntarily and must pay for it. 59 € for a result within 12 hours after sample receipt and 139 € for a result within 6 hours.

There is no such obligation at arrival in Madrid or New York, at least none that I can see on the Lufthansa website. In Madrid, you just have to show your QR code from the SpTH app and have your temperature taken ... I am aware of travel restrictions for tourists; fact is that a number of people do travel under these restrictions and are entitled to do so.

Given the generous (compared to earlier) rebooking options of many airlines, even for their cheapest flights, it is certainly worth looking into booking a flight now for next April or May ...

HAS anyone seen a better health coverage plan for those 70+ FOR COVID 19 in EU?
I've used Seven Corners several times; once I made a claim and had no problems. Looks like you can get $100k coverage even with covid. I just skimmed the webpage (I've been called to dinner). See:

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

I met a Canadian guy yesterday :)

hey Kevin yes I totally agree with what you say however I think if I was there I think it would play a bit on my mind and I would feel that I was doing "half a camino " if you like . The guy that did it last week was alone most of the time and for me that is half of the fun meeting people from all over the world . I just love travel so for me for I am going to Europe next year 3 times so that is my compromise . The airfares from SYD to Spain bring a tear to my eye , trust me . Anyway still wanting to go against the grain my government has said loud and clear " your not going anywhere " So plan B is going to be a huge travel catch up 2021 . All the best , pls keep us posted

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back