• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Any one leaving Porto on Easter Sunday?

Malcolm Scholfield

Time of past OR future Camino
Hello everyone,
I´m from Canada and just got my passport from the cathedral and am thinking of heading out tomorrow morning April 5 (Easter Sunday) but not sure of the direction to take. I´m a bit directionally challenged so I am looking for someone just to help me get started on the trail. Am thinking of doing the coastal route... any help would be appreciated. Buen camino!!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Hello everyone,
I´m from Canada and just got my passport from the cathedral and am thinking of heading out tomorrow morning April 5 (Easter Sunday) but not sure of the direction to take. I´m a bit directionally challenged so I am looking for someone just to help me get started on the trail. Am thinking of doing the coastal route... any help would be appreciated. Buen camino!!

Hi Malcolm – this is what I completed Oct 2013 – it was very easy and rewarding

From Porto to Matosinhos by metro – cheap easy to use – then walked to Vila do Conde about 23 km – just keep the ocean to your left , it is on the boardwalk most of the way. About 3 km from Vila do Conde you must leave the coast and proceed by the roadway – just be careful of the road

Stayed in Vila do Conde for the first night in a hostel – 30 euros for 2 – also they did a wonderful dinner at a reasonable price

We booked a taxi through the hostel to Rates next morning as some reports state this is a difficult stage from Vila do Conde to Rates. Joined the central route straight north to Santiago – well waymarked all the way – a wonderful journey enjoy.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello everyone,
Yes follow Daniels advice
There is no need to take a taxi to São Pedro de Rates. you easy can walk it. It is not dangerous and you walk in anice landscape.
If you follow the central route stay overnight at casa daFernanda in Vitorino dos Piaës It is 18 kms beyond Barcelos on the caminho.
Give Fernanda a ring on before hand. + 351 914 589 521
It can be full. The place to be !

Bom caminho

Hello Daniel. Thanks so much for your quick reply! I will take your advice and use the metro! Getting excited!!
the walk from Porto center to Matosinhos is worthwhile too. You follow the Douro river and at the end of the river follow the Atlantic ocean to Matosinhos . 10 kms and an excellent warming up for the days to come !

Bom caminho

Hello Daniel. Thanks so much for your quick reply! I will take your advice and use the metro! Getting excited!!
the walk from Porto center to Matosinhos is worthwhile too. You follow the Douro river and at the end of the river follow the Atlantic ocean to Matosinhos . 10 kms and an excellent warming up for the days to come !

Bom caminho
I have now decided to walk the central route! Thanks for all your input everyone!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Back