• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any overnight stop between SJPdP and Roncesvalles possible?

Kerryman

Hi:
We definitely want to start in St Jean PdP but are uncertain if we will be fit enough to do the first stage from St Jean PdP to Roncesvalles in one go.
Is there any option to stay overnight somewhere between the two places?
Or, what could we do if we are up there somewhere and realise we really cannot reach Roncesvalles on foot?
Curious,
Kerryman

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
there are 2 gites on the way up: Honto, 5km from St J, and a new one at Orisson, 2.5km further. There is nothing else so, if you get benighted, you would have to sleep out. (There may be shepherd's huts or the like to shelter in.)

An alternative is to use the road; there is a hotel in Valcarlos or you could hitch a ride or phone for a taxi.

Peter:

That was quick, and valuable. Many thanks.

If I may ask another question?: We would be planning to go to Bayonne by bus, and then by train on to SJPdP. Only, the usual ALSA bus doesnŽt operate on the day of our arrival in Bilbao in October. As an alternative they quoted us Euro 180.00 for a taxi transfer from Bilbao to Bayonne SNCF station. Dunno if that could be got much cheaper.

Would it be worth considering to go from Bilbao to Pamplona by bus instead, and to go on to SJPdP from there?

Kerryman

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Huntto or Orisson

Huntto is 5kms from St Jean.
Orisson is 8kms from St Jean. They charge 5 Euros per person. You can book ahead at: refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr (They also have a very nice restaurant.)
Sil

Peter and Silly:
Much obliged for your info.

No. we cannot go through Irun, if we did we could not be in SJPdP in time to get even as far as Huntto.

Many thanks,

Kerry

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hello Kerryman,

I did the Camino in July and started in St Jean Pied de Port. I did no training at all and made it to Roncesvalles the first day. Left St Jean at 0730 and arrived in Roncesvalles at 1430. Was an amazing day are already planning to do it again next year.

We did think about stopping the night at Orisson but just grabbed something to eat instead. There is NOTHING at all after this point though.

As for the taxi. I got one from Biarittz to St Jean and that was about 100 euros.

Hope this helps,

Matt

Matt:
Very helpful, thank you.
We will stay the night in Bayonne and look around there a bit. Then we will take the first or the second train to SJPdP, which will bring us there not before 10.05h. Then we will need to get our pilgrim passports stamped and get some vittles before we can make for the hills.
That timeframe, plus our perceived rustyness of course, prohibits us from planning to do the Full Monty to Roncesvalles on Day One. So we are very happy about having the option to stay at Orisson hostel 8km into the walk.

BTW, I read somewhere that the main ascend is before coming to Orisson.
How high up the mountain is Orisson?

Regards,
Kerry

Re: Huntto or Orisson

sillydoll said:
Huntto is 5kms from St Jean.
Orisson is 8kms from St Jean. They charge 5 Euros per person. You can book ahead at: refuge.orisson@wanadoo.fr (They also have a very nice restaurant.)
Sil

Ehm... the one after Huntto is a sort of a hostel NOT a refugio. Last year they charged 28 Euro's, if I remember correctly.
So when you're on low budget, I suggest you take the one in Huntto.

Also... don't forget to bring dinner, breakfast and maybe lunch :wink:

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Kerry,
Yes, the hard uphill stuff is all between SJPP and Orisson. But it is still a long way from there to Roncesvalles, and absolutely nothing in between; I don't recall seeing any huts - just a few snow fences. For that reason if you are not trail fit or, like me, a bit long in the tooth, it is good to stop at Hunnto or Orisson. Last time I walked I stayed at Hunnto and had the most wonderful french meal imaginable.... It's a wonder I was able to walk anywhere the next day!
Kanga

Kanga:
Your message and recommendation reaches us after the fact, we left SJPdP on October 3, around noontime.
And stayed at Orisson, which was just perfect. Clean, friendly and excellent food, dinner and breakfast.
It so happened we were and formed a very nice group up there in the evening, and formed a fairly stable group of people meeting again and again on the further Camino.

Looking back, we think we would have been unable to go all the way from SJPdP to Roncesvalles in a single day, it was really demanding, not just because of the distance but also because of the cold, the clouds and the wind up there.

Claus

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for replying Claus. Yes, I did realise after I had sent it off that your original post was pretty old! Glad to hear you met up with a nice group; it just makes the whole camino such a pleasure when you are with good companions.

Kanga.

Huntto

Its a converted farm they do a decent evening meal. You can sleep in the converted barn - much cheaper, than the house.

Has anyone ever made a reservation at the hostel in Huntto and if so how did you pay the deposit? I have been in contact with the hostel and they want me to make a deposit into their account but I don't know how to do it. All their correspondence is in French and unfortunately I only speak and read English. Thanks for any help.

I doubt that you need a reservation; it is not a frequently used gite since it is very close to SJPdP. In France direct transfers between persons is possible from checking accounts. If you have a U.S. account, it is not possible. They use booking.com, so you could try reserving there.

€149,-
I doubt that you need a reservation; it is not a frequently used gite since it is very close to SJPdP. In France direct transfers between persons is possible from checking accounts. If you have a U.S. account, it is not possible. They use booking.com, so you could try reserving there.

Thank you very much for your response. I will check booking.com

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back