• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any questions Almeria-Granada?

Kevin F. O*brien

Time of past OR future Camino
2002-2019 Via Podiensis, Camino Frances, Via de la plata, Camino del Norte, Camino Primitivo, etc.
Hello again everyone! I haven't logged on here for some time and just wanted to say that I will be watching this section again, in case anyone is thinking of walking from Almeria to Granada in 2018. The plan for this year is hopefully to walk the Ruta de la lana and write some sort of guidebook for that route as well, It would seem that it is the least used route in Spain!! Buen Camino and a Happy 2018 to all!!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hello again everyone! I haven't logged on here for some time and just wanted to say that I will be watching this section again, in case anyone is thinking of walking from Almeria to Granada in 2018. The plan for this year is hopefully to walk the Ruta de la lana and write some sort of guidebook for that route as well, It would seem that it is the least used route in Spain!! Buen Camino and a Happy 2018 to all!!

Hi, Kevin, with you and @Dave making a return appearance in the last two days, life is good. :) Since you haven't been on much, you may not have read that 5 or 6 of us from the forum are meeting in Almería on April 13 to start walking on the 14th. One of the potential members is having second thoughts because he really prefers to walk longer stages than those 9 days (?) from Almería to Granada. It looks to me that the choices are either generally in the low to mid 20 kms or in the mid 40s. If you have any great ideas for how to walk in the low to mid 30s without sleeping in a doorway, that would be great!

From Granada, I think people have different plans. I am hoping to make it as far as Cañaveral (having never stayed in the albergue there, and having heard that it is now open again, I just set it as an arbitrary goal of sorts). Salamanca would be great, but I don't think I have enough time for that.

The Lana calls to me as well, but not sure when I will get there. Alex formerly of Bodenaya on the Primitivo put that bug in my ear years ago. If you do it, consider a detour off from Covarrubias to walk the San Olav into Burgos. Reb and I did it last year and have posts, and @alexwalker has a great little guide here as well. Happy New Year! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. When will you be walking?

I will be watching this section again, in case anyone is thinking of walking from Almeria to Granada in 2018.
I'm hoping to be in that group. I've used your guide to plan out the Almeria-Granada section, and found it to be exactly the level of detail that I like in a guide - not too little and not too much. Thank you!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Kevin,,, thank you for your guide ,,i hope to start walking from Almeria on 20 March 2018,,and all your info is a pdf on my phone ,,,so helpful,,i have booked 5 nights in Granada for Semana Santa ,,and then continue walking ,,hopefully right thru to Finesterre !!

Rats ! Rats! Rats! I can't get away for April. Would have loved to meet those of you "oldies" going that I have not yet met. Tut Tut Tut. Ruined my day.
Still, great to hear you have all got a trip together arranged.
PS I would have loved to walk it again without a cracked bone in my foot and with more than two nights in company. Maybe I would have enjoyed it more.

Kevin I did a very short 7 days to Granada a couple of weeks ago and found your guide invaluable especially the couple of warnings about little signage. I also loved the route but it is very isolated in parts especially walking alone.
But thanks for your guide and I look forward to hearing about your next Morazabe AdventureQuest.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Kevin, with you and @Dave making a return appearance in the last two days, life is good. :) Since you haven't been on much, you may not have read that 5 or 6 of us from the forum are meeting in Almería on April 13 to start walking on the 14th. One of the potential members is having second thoughts because he really prefers to walk longer stages than those 9 days (?) from Almería to Granada. It looks to me that the choices are either generally in the low to mid 20 kms or in the mid 40s. If you have any great ideas for how to walk in the low to mid 30s without sleeping in a doorway, that would be great!

From Granada, I think people have different plans. I am hoping to make it as far as Cañaveral (having never stayed in the albergue there, and having heard that it is now open again, I just set it as an arbitrary goal of sorts). Salamanca would be great, but I don't think I have enough time for that.

The Lana calls to me as well, but not sure when I will get there. Alex formerly of Bodenaya on the Primitivo put that bug in my ear years ago. If you do it, consider a detour off from Covarrubias to walk the San Olav into Burgos. Reb and I did it last year and have posts, and @alexwalker has a great little guide here as well. Happy New Year! Buen camino, Laurie

p.s. When will you be walking?

Thanks so much for the kind comments Laurie. Great to hear from you again. Unfortunately I won't be able to come to Almeria on April the 13th. I've already booked a cycling holiday with some mad cycle freaks in Portugal. I thought I might have a crack at the Lana in late August and then do a "Laurie" and walk Burgos, Leon, Oviedo and then the Primitivo to Santiago. We'll see, Nothing certain yet.
As far as distances on the Mozarabe are concerned, there really aren't many alternatives between Almeria and Granada although if he wanted to take a pension then there are several possibilities round Abla and near Guadix. AFTER Granada and on the way to Merida there are some fairly long stages but I haven't been there ...... yet!! Stay well Laurie and have a lovely and Happy New Year!!

Thanks so much for the kind comments Laurie. Great to hear from you again. Unfortunately I won't be able to come to Almeria on April the 13th. I've already booked a cycling holiday with some mad cycle freaks in Portugal. I thought I might have a crack at the Lana in late August and then do a "Laurie" and walk Burgos, Leon, Oviedo and then the Primitivo to Santiago. We'll see, Nothing certain yet.
As far as distances on the Mozarabe are concerned, there really aren't many alternatives between Almeria and Granada although if he wanted to take a pension then there are several possibilities round Abla and near Guadix. AFTER Granada and on the way to Merida there are some fairly long stages but I haven't been there ...... yet!! Stay well Laurie and have a lovely and Happy New Year!!

Hi Kevin, I am also interested in this walk and wondering where I can find your guide?? Thanks!

Hi Kevin, I am also interested in this walk and wondering where I can find your guide?? Thanks!
Hi, Zoula,
Kevin's guide is pinned to the top of the Mózarabe subforum, https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/forums/camino-mozárabe.101/, (several good blogs with lots of info also pinned there)

specifically here -- https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...guide-mozárabe-from-almería-to-granada.36769/

Kevin walked from Almería to Granada a few years ago. I think you will need to update with the association guide when it comes to accommodation, because there are new albergues popping up all the time. The association will soon have 6 between Almería and Granada, that is pretty amazing.

Their guide is updated every month, so it's best to go to the website and click on the "guía" over on the right side of their webpage.

http://www.almeriajacobea.es

Buen camino, Laurie

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Thanks Laurie for quickly answering, I sure will look it up! I am so envious of you ladies going in April, that is when I also wanted to do the Via de la Plata starting in Seville. If you are walking from Almeria to Salamanca, it would mean a shorter period which really, really interest me. I have to get my Guide back out and look at it again, lol...

Zoula, here is Kevin's guide. It is only from Almeria to Granada. But you should also download the complete guide from the Mozarabe Association. It is regularly updated and the website is a great source of information http://www.almeriajacobea.es/

Attachments

• Camino-Mozarabe-Almeria-to-Grandad-199 KM.pdf
    84.5 KB · Views: 18
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
An update of Kevin's very useful guide will be very welcome as things are changing fast between Almeria and Granada. New albergues were opened and there have been route changes as well. As for the group setting out in April: Buen Camino. April is an excellent time for the Camino Mozarabe.

You're welcome. I hope you have a great walk on the Mozarabe.
An update of Kevin's very useful guide will be very welcome as things are changing fast between Almeria and Granada. New albergues were opened and there have been route changes as well. As for the group setting out in April: Buen Camino. April is an excellent time for the Camino Mozarabe.
The Mozarabe Association are very good at giving accommodation updates. But yes I found the route has changed a bit although there is good signage where this has happened, at least on the part from Abla to Granada.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
You're welcome. I hope you have a great walk on the Mozarabe.

The Mozarabe Association are very good at giving accommodation updates. But yes I found the route has changed a bit although there is good signage where this has happened, at least on the part from Abla to Granada.
Hi Elaine and thanks again for the kind comments. I'm just back in Norway from Australia where I've had a month with the family!! I was thinking about trying all or part of the Camino de Lana in August/September this year and will try to make some sort of guide for the route. I'm trying to brush up a bit on my Spanish as well!!

Hi Kevin, thanks for your helpful booklet I downloaded. Myself and 3 friends are thinking about walking it in September. Have you done it in that month? Is there any break down anywhere of the stages with an albergue, accommodation each night, walking say 20 - 25 km a day? If so, I'd be very grateful for a pointer. Best wishes,

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Actually, I think I found one on Gronze. But any advice or help gratefully received.

Possibly your best source of information is this website: http://www.almeriajacobea.es/p/vivencias-del-camino.html . Look at the Guia del Camino - it is in Spanish but easy to figure out. The volunteers update it every month (sometimes twice). They also have a Facebook page at https://www.facebook.com/CaminoMozarabeDesantiagodealmeriagranada/ . It is definitely worthwhile to make contact with them when you arrive in Almeria (or before) as they are very friendly and will help you out all the way to Granada.

The route is generally well marked, but I was glad to have the GPS tracks on my phone - you can find them on the first website I gave above.

Last edited:

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back