• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any recommendation on backpack?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
My early choices were the Gregory Z40 (40 Liters) and the Gregory Jade Z38 for my wife. I then tried the GoLite Jam 50 and the Jam 35 for my wife, they are both frameless and very light. My wife did no like the GoLite so she is taking the Jade Z38.

The GoLite's are very light because they don't have a frame, you need to try them loaded with the gear you are taking and see if you like them.

The Frame packs seem to be better balanced and not so picky about how it is loaded (plus the Gregory's have lots of pockets and loading options), also you can carry the load with your hips, your shoulders or both.

The Frameless pack is a bit finicky about loading, bulges a bit in the lower section, it does not have that many pockets and is only a top loader. You carry the weight with both the hip and shoulders together. But are they lightweight, the Jam 50 is 850 grams and the Jam 35 is about 770 grams.

The 35 Liter is probably all what you need, but in my case I plan to use the Jam 50 for other Backpack trips where I need a bit more gear.

Hope it helps

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have a Gregory Z55 and a bigger one. They make all kinds including models for women.

Go to a real shop with good staff and try things on. Be fitted if you don't know how big you need.

A good pack will be easier to carry even if the pack itself might be heavier.

If you are considering a Golite pack might I suggest looking into a gossamer gear pack. They are as ultralight (or more) than the golite BUT they come with a removable aluminum stay which adds support and acts as a ultralight frame. The reviews I have read are all pretty much glowing but I have not yet tried one so ....

The reason I am considering a Gossamergear pack is that the hip belt and the pack can be purchased separately ... I will be getting a medium pack but an extra large belt (with pockets) that is because I am not a one size fits all kinda gal ;)

I will be purchasing a Gossamergear Gorilla pack 732g if I remember correctly, it is 39 L in the main pack with an additional 6 L in all external pockets for a total of 46L (there were decimals)

Price is not cheap but I am hoping it will work for me since no conventional pack will fit me properly. In truth I'd probably try it anyway if they DID fit me ".. The reviews are that good! $195 for the pack ... Belt is another $30 .... So about $225 total

They are only available online at http://www.gossamergear.com ...the Gorilla model can be found here http://gossamergear.com/packs/gorilla-u ... k-all.html

My suggestion is to just go and start trying on packs. Pull at the zippers and belts, check how and where they open. Check any pouches or extra storage. Make sure you are adjusting the fit properly because that will make all the difference in how they fit.

I tried on some packs and it wasn't until I tried on a lot more that I understood what really felt comfortable on me. Also, once I started really checking out packs I realized that some had annoying features that I wouldn't want to deal with on a long walk. The first pack I tried is the one I finally realized is what will work for me.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The suggestions to go to a store and try on bags are perfect if you live near a city. Unfortunately for us (or fortunately, depending on your point of view!), we live in the middle of nowhere. Our nearest outdoor store is hours away. And when I got there - and spent over an hour trying on packs - I couldn't find a single one that matched my criteria (comfortable, between 30 and 36 litres, under 1 kilogram).

I ordered an ultralight backpack online, and couldn't be happier with my purchase. I went with the OMM Classic Marathon 32l (770 grams - but can be made even lighter by getting rid of extra straps, padding, etc):

http://www.amazon.com/OMM-Classic-Marat ... ds=omm+32l

I love, love, love my pack. And there's no way that I could have tried it on first, so I had to take a gamble when buying it. I figured if it didn't work, I could always just eat the shipping costs and send it back. It would still have been cheaper than driving to a city to try on more bags!

But I love my bag.

I was also considering the Osprey Talon 33 litre:

http://www.amazon.com/Osprey-33-Litre-B ... y+talon+33

...but as it seems a bit more structured than the OMM, I was less confident about buying it online without a proper fitting. I'm still extremely curious about that bag, and hope that I get the chance to try one out someday!

I ordered the ULA Circuit online. It's an ultralight. Staying light-- 16lbs was my total weight I carried (still more than 10% of my body weight) was my main goal. It was very comfortable, sturdy and the company is very accommodating. I give it an A rating. It would be and A+, but the side pockets were not too easy to access with the pack on, but I hear that's not uncommon. It was lighter than anything REI carried. After 500 miles, it looks like new. It's machine washable too.

Like @capun, I bought the GoLite Jam 50. I am cutting some ensolite foam (the blue camper pad from Walmart ) to give the pack some structure in the lower section. The weight of the foam is negligible.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Milepost99 said:
Like @capun, I bought the GoLite Jam 50. I am cutting some ensolite foam (the blue camper pad from Walmart ) to give the pack some structure in the lower section. The weight of the foam is negligible.

Where are you putting the ensolite foam? Inside the pack to create a "box"?
CP

I did 6 days of the Camino Frances (Triacastela to Santiago) with a Deuter 22L. It weighed 5.5kg and was perfect! Even had some space left in it! I took the very very minimal and I did not need to buy a single thing on the way! I was a bit worried I was being too frugal, but it worked out great! :)

http://www.e-outdoor.co.uk/3724/product ... ksack.aspx

It was super light and confortable! I LOVE it.
But I guess it all depends on you height, weight etc... I am pretty pettit (1.59m and weigh around 50kg).
I guess the best thing is to try a lot of them out as everyone has said before...I also think it's very personal and it also depends on your personality - if you are a light or heavy packer, if you need more space for certain things that you would consider indispensable (like photo/video equipment for instance). I saw a few girls with hairdryers!! :shock:
But it's definatelly good to have a few opinions on brands, and tips on how to find the best one for you! Good luck! :)

(Starting to plan my next Camino!! And i got back not even a week ago!!! Addictive!) :D

I ordered the ULA Circuit online. It's an ultralight.

I have two packs - this one and an Osprey 65. Question: If I'm going in mid-April 2014, do I need a sleeping bag, and if I do, where does it go in the ULA Circuit? I hear on Facebook from current pilgrims that it is windy and cold there now...

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I bought the Omm 32 because of its weight. I found its lack of structure, when loaded, meant it sagged off my back. I tried an Aarn Magic ...50 but gave it up quickly.

Bought an Osprey 33. It fits brilliantly. I'm currently walking the VdlP and couldn't be happier with my choice.

Better something a little heavier that is designed to be used instead of something designed to carry a teddy bear around town. :mrgreen:

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
We each bought Aarn Featherlight 35L (husband and wife). Fabulous. light, waterproof, and mould to your spine. With balance packs to wear on the front if desired and a dvd to show how to get the best out of them. We have since walked the Via Francigena in Italy and think the world of them.

Just because something is ultralight does not mean they are only good for extremely light use/loads. Many of the ultralights are used under extremely adverse conditions and are quite well designed to handle it. That said, they do have some limitations ... you wouldn't want to carry 40 lbs of gear in an ultralight .. but that's not what they are designed for ... however with the light loads most pilgrims carry +/- 20 lbs, they will be more than adequate. The gossamergear gorilla can carry loads up to 35 lbs but admittedly does better with about 25 ... which should be more than enough for me.

An ultralight can actually be quite rugged and according to the testimonials I have read from other backpackers who are using their ultralights under much more rigorous conditions and who are carrying much more gear than I plan to, I am fairly confident the gorilla will stand up to the Camino without too much difficulty ... at least I hope so ... I don't have much choice actually ...

The pack I will be choosing has a removable stay (but I will be keeping it) for support so it isn't a completely frameless pack like some ultralights, It also utilizes a sitlite pad <50g which is included in the overall pack weight of 737g that slips into it's own exterior pocket for cushioning against your back as well as support for a comfortable carry. From what I have read this pad is quite popular with users and is easily removable to use as a sitting pad during breaks.

I haven't tried it yet though and that's the kicker I guess ... I am leaning heavily on all the reviews I have watched or read online and if this one doesn't work for me in practice I will be in a whole new area of angst since no other pack will likely fit me ... at least none do in any of the stores I've visited ... here's hoping.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.