• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any Resolutions for repeat Pilgrims?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
My Resolutions:

1. To consciously reach out to others more this time and hide less behind my introversion.
2. To be more tolerant of other pilgrims that I perceive as rude, not caring, and the snorers.
3. To seek out more church Albergues that have communal meals and services of blessing in the evening.
4. To be more conscious of the scenery and the towns I pass through rather than focusing on just the cafe con leche and the daily destination.

No resolutions; but giving due consideration to the lessons that were learned, and then implementing those lessons. :)

After many thousands of miles of backpacking, including walking Camino twice, there are always things to be learned, techniques to be improved upon, and attitudes to be adjusted :)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
On my first camino (Geneva to Finisterre) I noticed I had a real problem 'letting go' with people. I would meet lovely people, be with them a while (days, weeks) then get really upset when I never saw them again. Then it occurred to me this was a massive problem in my 'real' life too, one that I hadn't really pinpointed until my camino. It almost ruined the end of my first camino.

So much so that from Santiago I took an overnight bus (well busses) back to SJPdP, got off the bus and walked again with my 'problem' in mind. My resolution was to let people into my life, then be happy (for them too) when they literally walked out of my life again. It worked. And something that made my life at home better and more beautiful.

Davey

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am starting my second camino too in september. What my approach is to take all my lessons learned from the first attempt. Many things went wrong due to lack of focus on what really matters, due to insufficient packing, lack of training. I realised that I started walking 3 years ago with certain expectations and when reality became very different it hit me like concrete, the emotional impact was huge.
This time I trained, got the right tools, made proper precautions, and more importantly I decided to take baby steps. I am gonna rest when I am tired, I have no expectations - I am open whatever has to happen with me on the road.

I am starting my second camino too in september. What my approach is to take all my lessons learned from the first attempt. Many things went wrong due to lack of focus on what really matters, due to insufficient packing, lack of training. I realised that I started walking 3 years ago with certain expectations and when reality became very different it hit me like concrete, the emotional impact was huge.
This time I trained, got the right tools, made proper precautions, and more importantly I decided to take baby steps. I am gonna rest when I am tired, I have no expectations - I am open whatever has to happen with me on the road.

Bravo Panka!! I hope our paths run parallel at some point!!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Sorry, but I run on café con leche! I suppose I should resolve to let that go! But I am so very happy when I can have one! I will resolve to try not to get crabby at the end of the day, pushing through those last rough, five kilometers, when all looks bleak! I resolve to love more - others regardless of who they are, myself and my process, and the journey itself! Tall, tall order!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Be the Camino angel on this one. My 2nd Camino I purposely set out to help others, packing little extras to give out. It was a very peaceful walk. I also wouldn't walk with a distance in mind. You might have to make reservations for the next day, but don't worry about finishing this time (it's the journey, not the destination after the 1st one). It's nice to stop at Sarria. Happy Trails aka Buen Camino again!

I start my 4th camino from SJPdP tomorrow - my only thought is to not think of it as a repeat but as a totally new experience. And try not to compare it to previous journeys .
Buen camino

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
For my third walk (CP), I made a resolution to slow down a bit to ~ 22-25 km’s/day, not 30-40 kms like previous walks. It allowed me to enjoy more community with familiar faces most days somewhere along the trail and at Santiago.

To force myself to slowdown, I didn’t train for this walk like I did for previous ones. I don’t recommend this for others but it worked for me. 😃😃😃

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Not resolutions but after our first camino I thought that doing the following would be good. Spend more time learning things and wandering around towns. Speak with the locals more. Eat afternoon menus del dia and less pilgrim meals.

Camino 2 is coming up and it is on a less traveled one, during a less traveled time of year, and solo. I think that is going to help me do the above.

My resolution is too 'be', no expectations, avoid resistance, only flow in the moment. My purpose is to return to walk the Meseta and listen. All the answers you ever need are another question formulating in the recesses of your mind and eventually you'll 'be' your own 'answer' 🙏🤠

Last edited:
Not resolutions but after our first camino I thought that doing the following would be good. Spend more time learning things and wandering around towns. Speak with the locals more. Eat afternoon menus del dia and less pilgrim meals.

Camino 2 is coming up and it is on a less traveled one, during a less traveled time of year, and solo. I think that is going to help me do the above.
Wow, Rick, I'm impressed. I knew you were planning this solo adventure, but didn't realize it was your 2nd Camino...figured maybe four or more were under your belt already! I've been on five and don't think I'd choose to do the one you plan...unless going with Laurie! 😉

€60,-

Eat afternoon menus del dia and less pilgrim meals.

That was my big change for my 2nd Camino......
On my 3rd Camino I added.... eat more Communal meals

Good food and Good conversation.......

I finished my 2nd Camino in June, different route (CI) and very different experience. My resolution or maybe better, my understanding is to go without preconceived expectations and to cherish each day, person and experience. I expect to do a 3rd Camino in a couple years when I retire, I plan to begin with a blank slate regarding expectations.

Wow, Rick, I'm impressed. I knew you were planning this solo adventure, but didn't realize it was your 2nd Camino...figured maybe four or more were under your belt already! I've been on five and don't think I'd choose to do the one you plan...unless going with Laurie! 😉
It is Restaurant Week in Boston with special deals and Peg and I went to a tapas and pincho place last evening. It has caused me to reconsider. Instead of walking to San Sebastián after Peg goes home I may just fly there and eat for a month.

(Not serious)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
It is Restaurant Week in Boston with special deals and Peg and I went to a tapas and pincho place last evening. It has caused me to reconsider. Instead of walking to San Sebastián after Peg goes home I may just fly there and eat for a month.

(Not serious)
After all that eating you can "roll" solo on into Santiago...no more walking needed.

€60,-
I don't think this is a resolution per se, since I'm on my first CF right now. I've found one thing though that really sticks out to me, and that's to remember to stop and turn around often. The most amazing photos I've taken have been ones looking back. It is of course a great reminder of how far I've come, but mostly it's about the change in perspective.

Me too Panka....I too am walking this September into October and have decided also to slow it down. I realized after my first Camino, that my goal was to get to Santiago...afterwards I realized it was about the journey. Time to be present and take it all in. Buen Camino!

My Resolutions:

1. To consciously reach out to others more this time and hide less behind my introversion.
2. To be more tolerant of other pilgrims that I perceive as rude, not caring, and the snorers.
3. To seek out more church Albergues that have communal meals and services of blessing in the evening.
4. To be more conscious of the scenery and the towns I pass through rather than focusing on just the cafe con leche and the daily destination.
That’s a great list. Buen Camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I’m getting ready to walk the Camino Frances for the second time. My first attempt was aborted in León due to health issues. I’ve written a handful of “resolutions” for this Camino. I wonder if anyone else has done this? If so, would you try morning share yours?
[/QU evOTE]

No resolution, I repeated this to myself as I started to walk each morning. "I'm strong, I'm healthy, I'm healthy . . . sure enough!"

Thanks Panka for your reflections! When will you be walking?

€60,-
1. Ask at least 10 people a day if they are doing ok.
2. Treat 1 person to a drink(coffee, Aquarius, beer, whatever) a day.
3. Be in the moment. Stop and see the Camino from time to time, not just look at it.
4. Make a new friend every day(not east for me, I am naturally a very private person)
5. Always let people walk their own Camino. There is no right or wrong way. Even the bus tour folks...

M

My Resolutions:

I love your resolutions. The same thing happened to me in 2017. My Camino ended in Astorga... also health issues of a sort. When I decided to finish from Astorga in 2020, I thought about the exact things you mentioned above and have decided to start over in SJPDP. The snorers never bothered me (much), I prepared myself going in and just lay awake and listened if that is what I had to do. But your other resolutions are as if you have read my mind. Regarding snorers, I made an observation my first night in an albergue. We pilgrims are from all over the world, different languages, different accents, but laying there that first night, happy to finally beginning my Camino, I observed that we all snore in the same language 😍

Buen Camino!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Solo? No Peg?

My resolution is too 'be', no expectations, avoid resistance, only flow in the moment. My purpose is to return to walk the Meseta and listen. All the answers you ever need are another question formulating in the recesses of your mind and eventually you'll 'be' your own 'answer' 🙏🤠
On the word "be" let me suggest a look at something Elle recommended to me: Cynthia Bourgeault. Just google her. I don't think this is hijacking the intention of the thread...

As you can see on this forum there are several pelgrims that just keep walking Camino’s. I’m one of them.

I thought a lot about it and reached a conclusion: these repetitive pilgrims are people that cannot stand changes.

😉

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Spend more time learning things and wandering around towns. Speak with the locals more. Eat afternoon menus del dia and less pilgrim meals.
Ditto to the above.
Also, I started looking ahead to local cultural events and made decisions on where to stop based on that. If it was night life, I stayed at a pension or other inexpensive (non-alburgue) option so I could stay out.

Edit --- Oh, and to drink more vino tinto!

Edit x2 --- And to attend Mass in every cathedral along the way (and get a sello from them).

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
On the word "be" let me suggest a look at something Elle recommended to me: Cynthia Bourgeault. Just google her. I don't think this is hijacking the intention of the thread...
I appreciate the intention @kirkie but having searched Google and her website I'm unable to find where she refers to "be" and why 'me'? Just curious and I prefer too think my thoughts our my own, I've deliberately avoided others writings as prefer not to be influenced in my own journey by others insights and findings, I expect they become spiritual guides or Guru and I prefer to believe 'I am' my own guide and master and the Camino, university of life and hard knocks is my Education 🤠

Last edited:

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back