• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Any restrictions on travel within Spain?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kmvreter

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2024
Are there any travel restrictions on public transport within the country, specifically Ryan Air (their website isn't helpful) and Renfe? I found info on masks but not vaccinations. Would I need to get the EU vaccine pass of equivalence?

I'm Canadian if that helps.
Have searched here and on government sites with no answer.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
You should be able to find the answers you need on this Spanish government travel site:

Thanks for the info. I previously saw that site. All they mention is masks in certain situations during travel within the country.
Thought I would check this forum for any insights in case I'm missing something.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thanks for the info. I previously saw that site. All they mention is masks in certain situations during travel within the country.
Thought I would check this forum for any insights in case I'm missing something.
I believe that masking in certain situations is the only current requirement once you are in Spain.

Are there any travel restrictions on public transport within the country, specifically Ryan Air (their website isn't helpful) and Renfe? I found info on masks but not vaccinations. Would I need to get the EU vaccine pass of equivalence?

I flew back to Ireland on Sunday from Santiago De Compostela Masks required on Bus to Airport and for Entry into the Cathedral otherwise around Santiago it was up to yourself also on Ryan Air flight no mask required and no proof of vaccination needed

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I flew London to Valencia last night. It’s an odd journey! Passengers flying from UK to Spain and back have to wear a mask. Staff meeting aircraft at Valencia largely maskless. Masks required on metro to city!

I think the easiest solution for you would be to have one of those vaccine apps on your phone or have a copy of your vaccine history on you. I keep one inside my passport. I would assume Canada gives each vaccine recipient some certificate that keeps a record of your covid vaccine history? I am correct, right??????? Haha If I am wrong ignore me. I have been wrong so many times over the years!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I think it's still masks required on public transportation. And I believe Ryan air is currently on strike?

Thanks for the helpful posts.

Canada does issue a vaccine certificate but it is not recognized as EU compliant therefore there is an "EU vaccine pass of equivalence" that I can obtain (for a fee at certain pharmacies in France, where I am arriving.) However, this now seems to be a moot point because Spain (and France) have moved on beyond requiring them for public transit. I'll save my Euros to spend on a cold beverage on the pilgrimage instead.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Just returned a few wks ago from our first Camino, no travel restrictions whatsoever, we did the Camino Portuguese, Senda Litoral along the coast into Spain. Only needed passport when checking into hotels.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Not completely accurate. The OP asked about public transport. I also returned from Spain a few weeks ago. At that time, people were required to wear masks on public transport.
Certainly the case that folks had to wear masks last night on metro in Valencia. Staff on board to enforce too!

It’s odd tho! Very few people wear masks and it feels like a bygone era when they do. Lots of UK tourists here and they drew a line under covid almost a year ago (19 July) so people get perplexed !! It feels like the last stand for the folks who are very focussed on COVID!

Last edited by a moderator:
Not completely accurate. The OP asked about public transport. I also returned from Spain a few weeks ago. At that time, people were required to wear masks on public transport.
yes, I stand corrected, we were required to wear masks on public transport and in farmacia's ( I was meaning proof of vax) thank you for the correction.

I'm here and masks required on public transportation. I understand also in pharmacies and churches but I haven't yet been in either.
I was in Spain all of May and two weeks in June, they required the masks on public buses , churches/cathedrals and on Renfe Trains. No body asked me anywhere on the Camino (CF) public buses/train ,the cathedrals or anywhere else if I was vaccinated or not, I`m vaccinated. But rules changes all the time, Good Luck . Buen Camino. 🇨🇦

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
What is accurate this minute could be out of date in five minutes time. While the experience of current members of the forum is valuable, I will only rely on my local sources - the department of foreign affairs and the official Spanish website in the days running up to my expected departure date from Dublin to Bilbao. Anything else is hearsay. I live near the airport and intend to pay a visit to see what I can discover in the week prior to departure. Strikes and Covid permitting. Numbers are increasing daily.
I have a stock of masks, and I have not stopped using them when I am out. For me. You can choose for yourself. I love my masks.
48FBC2E2-89D5-4A48-95A1-61238C267CBA.jpegBAB9FE77-8797-44A4-92A6-98323257C511.jpeg

What is accurate this minute could be out of date in five minutes time. While the experience of current members of the forum is valuable, I will only rely on my local sources - the department of foreign affairs and the official Spanish website in the days running up to my expected departure date from Dublin to Bilbao. Anything else is hearsay. I live near the airport and intend to pay a visit to see what I can discover in the week prior to departure. Strikes and Covid permitting. Numbers are increasing daily.
I have a stock of masks, and I have not stopped using them when I am out. For me. You can choose for yourself. I love my masks.
View attachment 128801View attachment 128802
The best advice and most sage and informative I have read.
Get your advice from a reliable source or from someone living in Spain or Portugal.
The accuracy on any regulation is reliant on what thread you read it and when you have read it. It is very easy to read something and take as fact something that is outdated

Last edited:
I have recently stopped wearing my masks at home in my own village and nearby city as I rarely see anyone else wearing them. I have travelled this year by plane a couple of times and although restrictions are fully lifted, I still wear mine. A part from Covid, (which to my knowledge I have not ever had), I have quite often gotten sick with extreme sore throat/sinus problems after arriving at my destinations over the years; I hope the mask helps.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Yes, I plan to recheck the French and Spanish government sites for last minute changes in the days leading up to departure.

Thanks again for all the info.

Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back