• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any South Africans with advice

Nicoleneventer

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning to walk the Camino next year
We are planning to walk the Camino Portugues either coastal or inland in December 2017, is there any South Africans on the forum that can help with a few tips like flights, etc.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
We are planning to walk the Camino Portugues either coastal or inland in December 2017, is there any South Africans on the forum that can help with a few tips like flights, etc.

Hi Nicole, welcome to the forum!
Good luck with the Coastal route in December – that’s mid-winter, usually very cold and wet.

Air France is advertising cheap return flights to Lisbon at around R8,200:
http://www.airfrance.co.za/cgi-bin/AF/ZA/en/common/home/flights/ticket-plane.do

Have fun planning!
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Nicole. Welcome to the Forum.
I am from Kuilsriver (Cape Town) and are doing the Camino Portuguese in October. The cheapest flights are with TAAG (Angola Airlines). From Cape Town to Porto return you can get a ticket now for December for R4 100. This will also be my first Camino. Please ask if I can be of any further help.

Hi,
We have returned from there two weeks ago. On my cellhpone now, will send more info when we get better connection tomorrow.
In the mean time look at Angola Air (TAAG). We flew with them from Cape Town to Porto. VERY good price. We will fly with them again

Hi,
We have returned from there two weeks ago. On my cellhpone now, will send more info when we get better connection tomorrow.
In the mean time look at Angola Air (TAAG). We flew with them from Cape Town to Porto. VERY good price. We will fly with them again
Hi, is the R4 100 for a return? That is so cheap, wonder whether it is only for December?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Hi, is the R4 100 for a return? That is so cheap, wonder whether it is only for December?
Hi Nicolene. It is for return tickets any time a year. I think the price depends on the day you are flying (weekdays will be cheaper than weekends) and the availability of seats. You can also try different travel agencies. I bought my ticket for a TAAG flight through an agency for less than TAAG's price.

Hi Nicolene,
About the flights - I agree with Eswee about the tickets. We used Travelstart to book the tickets without any problem.
We took the metro from Porto airport to Vilar Pinhero and started the walk from there and walked the inland route.
The stages in John Brierley's book was to long for us and we cut the days down to +_ 15 km.
The first suggestion is to stay over at Casa da Fernanda at Lugar do Corgo half way between Barcelos and Ponte de Lima. You can (and I suggest you do) reserve a bed by phoning them.
Another suggestion is to have a look at the Variante Espiritual (see attached pdf's) , which is a detour from Pontevedra to the coast and then back by boat to join the route at Padron again. Very beautiful. Was a bit cold on the boat and in winter maybe very cold - that is if it runs during the winter months, you will have to check.

Attachments

• VariateEspiritual1.pdf
    261.1 KB · Views: 23
  • VarianteEspiritual2.pdf
    279.9 KB · Views: 16
Hi Nicole. Welcome to the Forum.
I am from Kuilsriver (Cape Town) and are doing the Camino Portuguese in October. The cheapest flights are with TAAG (Angola Airlines). From Cape Town to Porto return you can get a ticket now for December for R4 100. This will also be my first Camino. Please ask if I can be of any further help.
Hi, Eswee. Not from South Africa, but also doing the Portuguese in October. We haven't found anyone else doing it so late? When do you start and from where?

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi,
Hi Kobus
Thank you. Can you also assist me with which VISAS etc to apply for and any other tips are welcome? :)
We have decided to postpone our trip to next year rather, due to leave etc.

Hi, Eswee. Not from South Africa, but also doing the Portuguese in October. We haven't found anyone else doing it so late? When do you start and from where?
Hi.

I will start my first Camino on 7 October 2017 from Porto. My route is as follows:

Day 1 (Senda Litoral) : Porto to Angeiras (Orbitur Campsite) : 25km
Day 2 (Senda Litoral) : Angeiras to Provoa de Varim (Albergue San Jose de Ribamar) : 16km
Day 3 (Coastal) : Provoa de Varim to Marinhas (Albergue de Marinhas) : 28km
Day 4 (Coastal) : Marinhas to Viana do Castelo (Albergue Sao Joao dos Caminhos) : 20km
Day 5 (Coastal) : Viana do Castelo to Caminha (Albergue de Caminha) : 29km
Day 6 (?) : Caminha to Valencia (Albergue São Tetónio) : 30km
Day 7 (Central) : Valencia to Mos (Albergue Santa Baia de Mos) : 29km
Day 8 (Central) : Mos to Arcade (Albergue O Lar de Pepa) : 19km
Day 9 (Central) : Arcade to Barro (Albergue de la Paróquia de Portela) : 21km
Day 10 (Central) : Barro to Padron (Albergue de Padrón) : 29km
Day 11 (Central) : Padron to Santiago : 25km.

Hope to see you on the camino.

Hi Nicolene, I take it you will be traveling on a SA passport, so will need to get a Schengen Visa. The best way to do this is to join the Confraternity of St James in South Africa. They then give you a letter which you include in your Visa application forms - this letter says that you are a Pilgrim and will be walking the Way, so you don't have to have all the accommodation details usually required for the Visa. I made sure I had all the other forms etc and got my Visa within about 4 days. I was told to get a Visa for the country I will be in for the most time. So, although I will start walking from Porto, will spend majority of time in Spain - so got a Spanish Visa. Shout if I can help any more.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi.
I will start my first Camino on 7 October 2017 from Porto. My route is as follows:
Hope to see you on the camino.

Well, we start on the 14th from Lisbon, so probably not. Safe trip!

Hi everybody! Very glad I saw this thread by South Africans who walked the Portuguese. We have done the French Way a few years ago and are now planning the Portuguese for Sept. 2018. We are now 70 yrs old, still fit enough but prefer to do stages of not more than 17-18 km a day. Also, we are on a tight budget and would not mind staying in the albergues. Any names of albergues and stages, please? Any advice will be much appreciated.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Another question in the meantime. Is there a bus running straight from Lisbon airport to Porto? We plan to fly to and from Lisbon, but will only start our Camino from Porto.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Another question in the meantime. Is there a bus running straight from Lisbon airport to Porto? We plan to fly to and from Lisbon, but will only start our Camino from Porto.
Hi Annali. Why don't you fly to Porto? It will be the same price from South Africa to either Lisbon or Porto. I flew to Porto and started my Camino from there.

Hi Annali. Why don't you fly to Porto? It will be the same price from South Africa to either Lisbon or Porto. I flew to Porto and started my Camino from there.
Hi Eswee! We are planning to start in Porto, but at this stage , flying to Lisbon is about R700-R800pp less. I think the train is a cheaper option. Also, the landing and departing times from Lisbon suits us better, as we are meeting friends in Portugal after doing the Camino and then going down to Faro with them. From there Lisbon is easier to depart from. I read in another thread that it is easy to start at Porto Cathedral, follow the river, walk the coast to Matosinhos and from there take a bus to the central route. What route did you take? Any help will be much appreciated :)

Hi Eswee! We are planning to start in Porto, but at this stage , flying to Lisbon is about R700-R800pp less. I think the train is a cheaper option. Also, the landing and departing times from Lisbon suits us better, as we are meeting friends in Portugal after doing the Camino and then going down to Faro with them. From there Lisbon is easier to depart from. I read in another thread that it is easy to start at Porto Cathedral, follow the river, walk the coast to Matosinhos and from there take a bus to the central route. What route did you take? Any help will be much appreciated :)
Hi Annali. I started from the Cathedral, walked down to the river, and then follow the Senda Litoral (all along the coastline) for 3 days up to Marinhas. I then followed the Coastal route (still along the coast, but through the villages and not along the coastline) up to Caminha. I then followed the route along the river to Valencia. From there I followed the Central route to Santiago. A total of 11 days walking. If you want, I can give you a breakdown of where I slept each night.

That will be great, Eswee! We prefer to sleep in the albergues or pilgrims hostels (SWAK Rand!), saves us money. Please let me know where you slept and also your exact route with villages. Thank you!

That will be great, Eswee! We prefer to sleep in the albergues or pilgrims hostels (SWAK Rand!), saves us money. Please let me know where you slept and also your exact route with villages. Thank you!
Hi Anneli. My route was as follow:

Day 2 (Senda Litoral) : Angeiras to Provoa de Varim (Albergue San Jose de Ribamar) : 16km
Day 3 (Senda Litoral) : Provoa de Varim to Marinhas (Albergue de Marinhas) : 28km
Day 4 (Coastal) : Marinhas to Viana do Castelo (Albergue Sao Joao dos Caminhos) : 20km
Day 6 Planned : Caminha to Valencia (Albergue São Tetónio) : 30km
Day 6 Actual (Albergue in Valenca was closed) : Caminha to Tui (Albergue de Peregrinos de Tui) : 35km
Day 7 (Central) : Tui to Mos (Albergue Santa Baia de Mos) : 29km
Day 8 (Central) : Mos to Pontevedra (Albergue de Peregrinos Pontevedra) : 28km
Day 9 (Central) : Pontevedra to Valga (Albergue de Peregrinos Valga) : 31km
Day 10 (Central) : Valga to Teo (Albergue de Padrón) : 20km
Day 11 (Central) : Valga to Santiago : 14km.

Hope this will help.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Day 3 (Senda Litoral) : Provoa de Varim to Marinhas (Albergue de Marinhas) : 28km

Thank you Eswee, this is very helpful for me in planning my walk in January!

Thank you Eswee, this is very helpful for me in planning my walk in January!

In Viano do Castelo there are two wonderful places for food. The CasaPrimavera/Taberna Soares is where local fisherman eat. Delicious huge portions generally of fish and cheap; you can ask for a half order of anything. Busy at lunch with workers.

More upmarket but with a simple daily menu is O Laranjeira. The dining room is handsome with white linen, the friendly service pleases the local bourgeois clientele and the Portuguese food is creative and delicious. Splurge and visit both;
Bom camino!

In Viano do Castelo there are two wonderful places for food. The CasaPrimavera/Taberna Soares is where local fisherman eat. Delicious huge portions generally of fish and cheap; you can ask for a half order of anything. Busy at lunch with workers.

More upmarket but with a simple daily menu is O Laranjeira. The dining room is handsome with white linen, the friendly service pleases the local bourgeois clientele and the Portuguese food is creative and delicious. Splurge and visit both;
Bom camino!
Thank you, we will try them! We are planning to stay over in Viano do Castelo.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Annali. I started from the Cathedral, walked down to the river, and then follow the Senda Litoral (all along the coastline) for 3 days up to Marinhas. I then followed the Coastal route (still along the coast, but through the villages and not along the coastline) up to Caminha. I then followed the route along the river to Valencia. From there I followed the Central route to Santiago. A total of 11 days walking. If you want, I can give you a breakdown of where I slept each night.

Hi Eswee,
my daughter, a teacher in Durban, will be doing the Senda Litoral in June/July. I would really like your breakdown of accommodation as I am trying to set up her itinerary as she is going alone. Thanks, rosbir

Hi Eswee,
my daughter, a teacher in Durban, will be doing the Senda Litoral in June/July. I would really like your breakdown of accommodation as I am trying to set up her itinerary as she is going alone. Thanks, rosbir

Hi Rosbir

My itinerary is just a couple of replies higher up on this thread, with the accommodations in brackets at the end of each day. Please let me know if you need more info.

Hi Rosbir

My itinerary is just a couple of replies higher up on this thread, with the accommodations in brackets at the end of each day. Please let me know if you need more info.

Hi Eswee, found it, many thanks. I'm thinking of going with her on the walk, Rosbir

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi Eswee, found it, many thanks. I'm thinking of going with her on the walk, Rosbir
You must do it. It is an absolute fantastic experience.

You must do it. It is an absolute fantastic experience.
Hello Eswee. I am thinking of walking south, SDC to Porto. In October 2018. Does that sound reasonable?

Hello Eswee. I am thinking of walking south, SDC to Porto. In October 2018. Does that sound reasonable?
Hi Earthkeeper. I am sorry, but I will not be able to help you with this one. I only walk from Porto to SDC. I know there are other peregrinos that did walk the reverse route. Please post your question as a new thread on this forum.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi

Day 6 Planned : Caminha to Valencia (Albergue São Tetónio) : 30km
Day 6 Actual (Albergue in Valenca was closed) : Caminha to Tui (Albergue de Peregrinos de Tui) : 35km
Day 7 (Central) : Tui to Mos (Albergue Santa Baia de Mos) : 29km
Day 8 (Central) : Mos to Pontevedra (Albergue de Peregrinos Pontevedra) : 28km
Day 9 (Central) : Pontevedra to Valga (Albergue de Peregrinos Valga) : 31km
Day 10 (Central) : Valga to Teo (Albergue de Padrón) : 20km
Day 11 (Central) : Valga to Santiago : 14km.

Hope this will help.

Hi Eswee, the visa agent in Durban has warned that the Portugese Consul will require some official transport booking from Portugal to Spain - train or coach and won't accept that on the Camino one can either 'walk' or take the local ferry from Caminha to A Guarda, Spain. Did you have a problem with this when you applied for your visa?

Hi

Hi Eswee, the visa agent in Durban has warned that the Portugese Consul will require some official transport booking from Portugal to Spain - train or coach and won't accept that on the Camino one can either 'walk' or take the local ferry from Caminha to A Guarda, Spain. Did you have a problem with this when you applied for your visa?
Hi Rosbir

No, I did not have any such problems. I went to the Portuguese Consulate in Cape Town. I showed them the letter from the Confraternity of Saint James, South Africa (www.csjofsa.za.org) which I got from them when I applied for my credential. It is a letter confirming that you are walking he camino. The consulate only asked for prove that I have a place to sleep in Portugal. I told them that I was sleeping in the albergues. It was not accepted by them. Luckily I had a booking for an AirBnB in Porto for my last night. They accepted it.

It is strange that the agent warns you about transport booking between Portugal and Spain, because you are applying for a schengen visa that covers most of the European countries, with no border control between them.

My advise is that you contact the Confraternity of Saint James, South Africa. They will give you the best advise. Sterkte.

Hi, I bought a train ticket from Porto to Vigo fo 14 Euros. Glad I did, was the first thing they asked.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

Hello! My partner and I are preparing to do around 7 days of the Camino Portuguese route, starting at the end of April. We're flying to Porto from Edinburgh, and looking at the best route to...
Will be walking the CP in Aug/Sep with planning clearly focused to staying (for the most part) on the Litoral. However, (using Brierley's Guide) the stage from A Ramallosa to Vigo sets up quite a...
Doing research for my upcoming Camino, I want to connect from coastal to central in Caminha. According to JB the ecopista is pleasant along the river, but I notice Stingy Nomads recommend the...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back