• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any suggestions for accommodations in Sarria?

deb56

My husband and I will arrive in Sarria to begin the walk on April 7th if all goes as planned. :) We would like to make reservations for a hotel in advance but some confusion with all the choices, and want to be close to were we will begin to walk. Any suggestions most welcome!

We are also still working on getting from Madrid to Sarria. Thinking about flying into Santiago and a bus (?) from there... We are from the US. and speaking Spanish is pretty nonexistent!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi Deb,

I stayed in Don Álvaro, rua Conde de Lemos , Sarria, phone 0034 982 531 592. I found it exeptionally good. It is also recommended by others on the thread 'One Albergue that you would not miss'.

Regarding transport from Santiago to Sarria. I do not think that there is a direct bus. You need to go to Lugo and then get a local bus. Others who have started in Sarria would know.

Buen Camino,

Lydia

There is an overnight train leaving from Madrid Chamartin to Ferrol at 22.30 stops at Sarria at 6.50. The ticktes can be purchaced not earlier than 60 days before.

http://www.renfe.es

There are many albergues, hostales and hotels in Sarria, and you do not have to book at 06.50 in the morning - just walk into one, get your bed, leave your backpack and see the city during the hours the albergue is closed in the morning after the last pilgrims got on the route.

These albergues are right on the Frances in the old part of Sarria:
Albergue O Durmiendo
Albergue Internacional
Albergue Los Blasones
Albergue Don Alvaro
Albergue Dos Oito Marabedis

Or you could start walking to Barbadelo 4.3 km, Morgade 12.0 km, Ferrerios 13.6 km or Mercadoiro 17.3 km.
buen camino
annie

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Mi inglés es peor que tu español, o eso quise entender. Creo que preguntas por autobús de Santiago a Sarria. Me parece que la empresa Monbús hace esa línea. Lo que pasa es que el siete de abril es sábado, y al buscar en esa página un autobús que salga un sábado, no encuentro ninguno. Lo mejor es que llames y preguntes.

http://horarios.monbus.es/

My English is worse than your Spanish, or so I wanted to understand. I think questions Santiago bus to Sarria. I think the company makes that line MonBus. What happens is that the April 7 is Saturday, and on that page to find a bus out on a Saturday, I find none. It is best to call and ask.

http://horarios.monbus.es/

April 7 is the Easter Saturday and the Easter camino is growded since very many Spaniards walk some of the camino during the Easter week. But Sunday they all go home and back to work and schools Monday. So Sunday evening is not a problem getting an accomodation. Monday is feast only in some parts of Spain.

These albergues are right on the Frances in the old part of Sarria:
Albergue O Durmiendo
Albergue Internacional
Albergue Los Blasones
Albergue Don Alvaro
Albergue Dos Oito Marabedis

I'd recommend O Durmiendo - very comfortable beds, with quilts!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The only thing I'll say about O Durmiendo's quilts (and I stress that I have no knowledge of this particular albergue) is that they are a prime place for bedbugs to hide -- the softer and fluffier the quilt, the better for the bugs.

I know this from experience -- the albergue turistico in Zafra on the Via de la Plata has what I thought were nice comfy quilts. During the night I "dreamed" I was being bitten by bugs but never really woke up. The next afternoon, I realized I was covered in bites. So just be careful with those quilts!

Buen camino, Laurie

This thread started with a query about accommodation
in Sarria and has finished with bed bugs .
I felt that I had to respond as in May last
year I stayed in the albergue turistico in
Zafra along with several other pilgrims.
There were no complaints about bedbugs.
It was a very clean ,comfortable albergue.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, I stayed in Casa Peltre in November 2010, I think it had just opened because it was not listed in any guides. It was very clean, I really liked it. It had a log fire which i piled up that night, the owner tells you to keep it going as you want http://www.casapeltre.es

Thanks everyone for all the suggestions. We will actually arrive in Sarria on Friday, April 6th to begin the walk on Saturday the 7th. So hopefully we will miss some of the crowds for Easter Saturday as we should be well behind them. Also hopeful we are able to get bus service to Sarria from Santiago on Friday as someone mentioned no bus service on Saturday.

Again, grateful for all the feedback!

Hi.

The bus to Lugo goes from outside Santiago airport.
At Lugo you change to a Monbus.

http://www.alsa.es/
http://www.monbus.es/
el-camino-frances/topic11721.html

Make sure you have change in Euros to pay the bus driver.

I recommend the Don Alvaro on the basis I stayed there in December 2010 and have previosuly stayed int he Sarria albergue.

You will feel that you have started your pilgrimage when you stay in an albergue rather than a hotel.
(Personal opinion and don't jump down my throat! :D )

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The people who run the albergue Don Alvaro in Sarria were the most helpful people I encountered all along the way. I arrived with some special needs and the woman was an absolute angel. Their hammocks on the upper deck, the firepit in the evening, all top notch. Also it is close to the exit of the town.

We stayed at Casa Peltre. Wonderfully clean and modern algergue that is close to restaurants, shops, and down town. I highly recommend this place.

Thanks for the info on Sarria accommodation. I'm planning on getting an Alsa bus from Bilbao to Sarria which arrives at 9.15pm next Tuesday so I will probably book ahead to avoid walking around town to find somewhere to sleep. Thanks to all for the amazingly useful information on this forum which ultimately has made a huge difference to the inexperienced wannabe peregrinas like me! :)

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hello,

During my most recent caminos I have stayed in Sarria at the private Albergue O-durminento at rúa Maior nº 44. See here for more information. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es./albergue-o-durminento. It is sparkling clean and bright and you can book ahead. The rua Maior is also a good street for restaurants.

Buen Camino,

Margaret

Albergue O-durminiento
I have stayed there twice, first when it had just opened, then again a year later. Between the two times, there was no apparent maintenance, and faucets were broken, shower heads displaced, and door hinges broken.

Across the street is the Albergue Internacional, where I also have stayed twice. It is newer than the O Durminiento, and has been maintained so far (April 2012 visit). The food was good both places.

Most read last week in this forum

I am 82 years old. I have walked all but 250k of the Camino Frances alone, carrying my pack and staying in communal aubergues in 2017 and 18 and loving it! I am now on a mission to walk the final...
Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
I have been looking every day for weeks and weeks to purchase tickets from Santiago to Segovia at the end of my Camino on May 13th and was getting concerned as on both the Renfe and Trainline...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back