• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Any transportation to Santo Domingo del Calzada?

kathygpilgrim

Hola,

I would like to do some research in Santo Domingo del Calzada in May, but am unsure of how to approach it...I could walk, of course, having done the Camino a number of times, but I am looking for public transportation either from Madrid or from the east to get to Santo Domingo.

b-t-w, it is the 900th anniversary of the death of Santo Domingo in May,

all the best,
Kathy Gower

annakappa

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Part frances jun 07/rest frances may- jun 2008/Frances sept-oct 2009/ Sanabres Oct 2010/Frances sept-oct 2011/Aragones Sept-Oct 2012. Hospitalero Sept 2010, Amiga in Pilgrim's Office Oct 2013. Part Primitivo Oct 2013. Portugues from Porto June 2015.
You could also take the bus from Madrid to Logroño and then pick up the local bus which goes via Nájera to Santo Domingo de la Calzada. The local bus leaves Logroño about every one and half hours. from Monday to Friday. Timetable changes over the weekend. To personalise your timetable, search in internet for "buses from Madrid to Santo Domingo de la Calzada.
You will get the various timetables.
All I can say is that we took this route last year from Madrid as far as Nájera. The route, after about an hour leaving Madrid was beautiful, the buses are very comfortable and it's cheaper than travelling by train.
Anne

kathygpilgrim

Thank you all...I will indeed look into the bus schedules....

When I was in the south of France, the buses sometimes only ran a couple of times per week and I was afraid of that. Now I know I have some leeway.

Advertisement

Booking.com