Any up to date info on 'Via Arverna"?

2018 edition Camino Guides

mal kiwi

Donating Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Astorga to Santiago and Finisterre, 2015 Le Puy to St Jean pied de Port,
2016 Lisbon to
I am interested in walking the "Via Arverna" in May 2018, I have seen the post by Gittiharre in July 2016 and Glenshiro in October 2017. There is a web site for Via Arverna, that is very good , but I am keen to hear from anyone who has walked this route, and can give me practical advice.

Advertisment

gittiharre

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
CF 2006
Jakobsweg Austria and Czech Greenways 2008
Le Puy Route 2009
Via Gebenennsis and Robert Louis Stevensen 2010
Le Puy Route 2012
Via Jakobi 2013
Via Regia 2014
Via Baltica/Scandinavica 2015
Camino Portugues and Camino Finesterre 2016
Via Gebenennsis 2016
I wish I could give you first hand experience. Welcome to the forum Mal Kiwi!

Camino(s) past & future
Portuguese
Via Averna
I am interested in walking the "Via Arverna" in May 2018, I have seen the post by Gittiharre in July 2016 and Glenshiro in October 2017. There is a web site for Via Arverna, that is very good , but I am keen to hear from anyone who has walked this route, and can give me practical advice.
I walked the Via Arverna from Clermont Ferrand to Brioude in early October 17. I used the route identified on the ‘Tracegps’ maps provided by the link on the Via Arverna website (this fantastic website is currently accessible). The route on the maps was accurate and the actual path was reasonably well signposted. I printed a series of A4 map sections at a large scale from the Tracegps site to use while walking (to save phone battery). These prints were invaluable. The path is not straight and requires careful navigation using the maps. I mostly used Airbnb’s to stay at and pre-booked all my accommodation. Some of the sections proposed on the Via Arverna website are quite long and I reduced the length of one of these. Easy to do using Airbnb accommodation and the area map on the Airbnb website. I believe at least the first two-thirds of the route has a good train service to/from Clermont Ferrand for those not wishing to do it all in one go. Certainly Brioude is well served by trains. I should say I met nobody else at all walking the route and nobody to ask directions. I didn’t get the feeling the walk is particularly well known locally. I imagine there might be more people walking it in the summer though. This section of the route is fairly low level and passes through lovely countryside. I really enjoyed the walk and plan to go back this year to do another 5 days or so starting at Brioude. Let me know if there is anything else l can help with.

mal kiwi

Donating Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
2013 Astorga to Santiago and Finisterre, 2015 Le Puy to St Jean pied de Port,
2016 Lisbon to
Glenshiro,
Thankyou for your invaluable and practical advice about the via Averna, It must have been getting quite cold in October, looks like some other sections are very exposed. Would you give me an estimate for the amount of road walking you did? There appears to be an alternate route Champeix to Jumeaux, any thoughts on this?
Did you find any walking guides of this route that you thought were worthwhile?, Any accommodation you stayed in, that were memorable and would recommend? Any local foods that I must try? Problems with Dogs?
Thankyou again,

Advertisment

Advertisement

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Most viewed threads

Most liked threads