• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.
  • Camino Olvidado Guide created by one of our forum members

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Preparing for the Olvidado Trail in a Post-Covid World

Robi Diaz De Vivar

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2016), Norte (2017), Portuges (2018), Mozarabe (2019), Primitivo (2019), Via de La Plata (2
Hi there everyone. My long-term Camino buddy has asked out of the blue if I fancy joining him on the Olvidado starting in April. Does anyone have any first-hand news of how accommodation and things are there at this point in post-Covid world?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Most of the albergues were open last fall, and I have written to some people on the ground to see if they have any predictions to make for 2022. Even though anything they say could change without notice, it would be good to hear what they are thinking.

I have never walked the Olvidado in April, but I would think that snow also might be an issue. Not so much that you will get big storms, though I suppose that is possible, but more in terms of the accumulation. @jpflavin1 once walked the Salvador in April and encountred really serious snow drifts. He was lucky and made it safely. And the Salvador crosses the Olvidado right near the point where he found so much snow. The Olvidado has about 7 days in which the elevation is fairly high, but for two-three of those days there are non-mountain alternatives. I can only say that it would be a real shame to miss the mountain days, because they are totally spectacular, but at least you would be safe.

I’ll post more up to date albergue info when I hear from my friends on the Olvidado.

Most of the albergues were open last fall, and I have written to some people on the ground to see if they have any predictions to make for 2022. Even though anything they say could change without notice, it would be good to hear what they are thinking.

I have never walked the Olvidado in April, but I would think that snow also might be an issue. Not so much that you will get big storms, though I suppose that is possible, but more in terms of the accumulation. @jpflavin1 once walked the Salvador in April and encountred really serious snow drifts. He was lucky and made it safely. And the Salvador crosses the Olvidado right near the point where he found so much snow. The Olvidado has about 7 days in which the elevation is fairly high, but for two-three of those days there are non-mountain alternatives. I can only say that it would be a real shame to miss the mountain days, because they are totally spectacular, but at least you would be safe.

I’ll post more up to date albergue info when I hear from my friends on the Olvidado.
Thanks for your reply. Looking forward to hear about your friends' feedback.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I walked it in July and beds were somewhat difficult in the late stages. If you are used to solid markings then you should adjust your expectations and be sure to download the offline GPS maps in the Olvidado camino app which is very good. You can go many, many Km without markings and at least when I walked. the trail even in tall grasses was not evident. So at least for me the GPS was necessary. All that said, it was amazing. For 16 days I saw no one else on the trail, so it is very quiet and very beautiful. Things may be different now and I give Ender tons of respect for all the work he and others are doing to bring this Camino to life. It was a great experience.

I walked it in July and beds were somewhat difficult in the late stages. If you are used to solid markings then you should adjust your expectations and be sure to download the offline GPS maps in the Olvidado camino app which is very good. You can go many, many Km without markings and at least when I walked. the trail even in tall grasses was not evident. So at least for me the GPS was necessary. All that said, it was amazing. For 16 days I saw no one else on the trail, so it is very quiet and very beautiful. Things may be different now and I give Ender tons of respect for all the work he and others are doing to bring this Camino to life. It was a great experience.
Thanks very much for your input. Much appreciated.

Hi there everyone. My long-term Camino buddy has asked out of the blue if I fancy joining him on the Olvidado starting in April. Does anyone have any first-hand news of how accommodation and things are there at this point in post-Covid world?
Hi there. My friend and I have done a bit more research into doing the Olvidado in April and it is a non-starter. The hotels which are the only alternatives at the start of the Camino are all full or are offering twin rooms at 67 GB pounds per night . The Youth Hostel does not open until May. We give up and are looking at continuing the Mozarabe from Cordoba or doing the Frances from Burgos to Leon. Thanks for your help.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Hi there. My friend and I have done a bit more research into doing the Olvidado in April and it is a non-starter. The hotels which are the only alternatives at the start of the Camino are all full or are offering twin rooms at 67 GB pounds per night . The Youth Hostel does not open until May. We give up and are looking at continuing the Mozarabe from Cordoba or doing the Frances from Burgos to Leon. Thanks for your help.
So sorry to hear that but not surprised..I may have hit it at the right time before anyone considered it..but even then i had to skip the last few stages because of the no beds....keep it on your list though. Buen Camino

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back