• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Any Update on Portugal Travel Requirements?

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Rick H

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF Aug 2023
CP 2022
Travel Covid requirements seem to be changing quickly with members of the EU. Traveling to Portugal in April from the US, want to get the latest on the vaccination and/or testing requirements. Would appreciate anyone on the ground providing their updates. Trying to avoid a triple jab if I can, which I know the EU wants to make a requirement for their citizens. Thanks!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Requirements change all the time. EU states are considering going to “individual status” rather than “point of origin”. Whatever you decide, keep in mind that *if* a country requires a booster to offer you admission as a guest into their nation, that you will need to receive it 2 weeks prior to arrival there. Depending on what is available where you live, you may easily have to do some work in March to arrange a booster shot in time.
Thinking purely about logistics, you may have to plan specifically to meet that benchmark in March in order to be able to go.

Here is the “fine print” on the practical need for a booster shot in Portugal, showing the only way to avoid testing to get into every bar, club, hotel etc.:

Attachments

• 836406E4-3507-444F-A429-21B41BD049CE.jpeg
    836406E4-3507-444F-A429-21B41BD049CE.jpeg
    172.5 KB · Views: 71
Last edited by a moderator:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
On the Visit Portugal website is says this:
View attachment 117637

I wonder if the US CDC Covid vaccine card will be accepted as a complete vaccination certificate.
I found on inspection that, no, the CDC card is not accepted. To get the information I used the Air Canada travellers' information site, and put in a US departure, a US passport, and a Portugal destination.
The fine print on "complete vaccination" -- for the purposes of not having to test in order to enter every food/entertainment/accommodation establishment is 3 shots, not 2.

If you go to this link, https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/ you can input all the variables you want, and assuming that "fully vaccinated" means 2 shots... the fine print still requires 3 in practical terms for *Portugal*.

I can't blame them; the country was so very hard his and it's still taking it on the chin in terms of resources.

I found on inspection that, no, the CDC card is not accepted. To get the information I used the Air Canada travellers' information site, and put in a US departure, a US passport, and a Portugal destination.
The fine print on "complete vaccination" -- for the purposes of not having to test in order to enter every food/entertainment/accommodation establishment is 3 shots, not 2.

If you go to this link, https://www.aircanada.com/us/en/aco/home/book/travel-news-and-updates/2020/covid-19.html#/ you can input all the variables you want, and assuming that "fully vaccinated" means 2 shots... the fine print still requires 3 in practical terms for *Portugal*.

I can't blame them; the country was so very hard his and it's still taking it on the chin in terms of resources.
My CDC card shows my initial two shots, plus my booster in December.

My question is - is the CDC card showing three shots accepted?

My CDC card shows my initial two shots, plus my booster in December.

My question is - is the CDC card showing three shots accepted?
The site (click through) just says that CDC cards are not accepted. So you'd need to get your data transferred over to one of the EU or Portugal specific QR's.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The site (click through) just says that CDC cards are not accepted. So you'd need to get your data transferred over to one of the EU or Portugal specific QR's.
I'm sorry, but your link didn't work for me. I got this

Screenshot_20220201-082046_Firefox.jpg

The information for Portugal was updated yesterday on United Airlines.
It doesn't say a booster is required to make a complete vaccine schedule and the CDC only recommends a booster. However, it seems prudent to get it asap in case things change.
Our CDC cards seem to meet the requirements for "vaccination certificates issued outside the EU."
Definitive answers would be much appreciated since we fly to Lisbon in 22 days!

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/travel/international-mapvaccine2.1.2022portugal.jpg

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Hey,

Good information. I am not walking this time but going to Lisbon in March. Would like to know as well. Does anyone know if I fly from the US to Madrid then Lisbon what testing I would need? I know I need to test to fly to Spain but wasn't sure if you transit, can I use the same test for arrival in Portugal. I think Portugal is 72 hrs and/or 48 hrs pre departure (is that from the flight to Portugal?). From what I recall from our October trip the testing for Spain was from landing time in Spain. Tks

I was planning on using my CDC to enter places. Mine shows all three shots.

Hey,

Good information. I am not walking this time but going to Lisbon in March. Would like to know as well. Does anyone know if I fly from the US to Madrid then Lisbon what testing I would need? I know I need to test to fly to Spain but wasn't sure if you transit, can I use the same test for arrival in Portugal. I think Portugal is 72 hrs and/or 48 hrs pre departure (is that from the flight to Portugal?). From what I recall from our October trip the testing for Spain was from landing time in Spain. Tks

I was planning on using my CDC to enter places. Mine shows all three shots.
You can use the same test for everything as long as it is within the valid timescale. Usually it is calculated from the time the sample is taken to the moment you arrive at your destination.

You can use the same test for everything as long as it is within the valid timescale. Usually it is calculated from the time the sample is taken to the moment you arrive at your destination.
Thank you. I saw some good fares on TAP and it would go from US (Boston) to Lisbon. Have you been on this airline?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
My understanding that tourists need to pay around 2 euros tourist tax per day for Portugal. How do you pay the tax if you are staying in the albergues or hostel or airbnb ? In Montenegro for example, staying in airbnb, one has to go to the tourist organization or Montenegro post office to pay/register. How does it work in Portugal ?

Thank you. I saw some good fares on TAP and it would go from US (Boston) to Lisbon. Have you been on this airline?
I have flown out of Boston to Lisbon on TAP. Like any other airline, however, awful for trying to change flights or obtaining a refund…and I had the assistance of a Lisbon native assisting me with TAP!

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I have flown out of Boston to Lisbon on TAP. Like any other airline, however, awful for trying to change flights or obtaining a refund…and I had the assistance of a Lisbon native assisting me with TAP!
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back