• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any updates from Lisbon to Santiago?

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, forum,

Johnnie Walker and I are updating the Confraternity's Portuguese route guides. I have Lisbon to Porto and he has Porto-Santiago. If you have any updates, please send me a PM, and I'll get them into the right person's hand.

Bom caminho! Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Laurie,
I will either begin in Barcelos or Valenca. I'm fairly good at gathering information and will be on the lookout for changes.
I recently downloaded the CSJ #5 the CP by JW 2009. Will use that as a base line.
Saludos,
Arn

Laurie: I have many of my notes from Porto to Santiago (via the coast between Matosinhos and Vila do Conde) which I can send to you. Or, I can do the actual changes in the Word format OR cite page numbers (although this can get confusing as I attemped to make the earlier changes to my booklet and found it difficult to integrate). Just let me know how I can be of assistance! I really would like this booklet to be printable two sided and able to be stapled in the middle to make the lightest, most useable booklet possible. There are lots of formatting simplifications which could also tighten it up.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, Portia,
I will send you a PM, and I will get you in direct contact with Johnnie Walker, who is the author of the Porto-Santiago part. The actual formatting is done by the webmaster at the CSJ, and is well beyond my capabilities, but it sounds like you may have some very good suggestions that would help on that end as well. I have been able to print the online guides in a two-sided booklet format, but it wasn't easy for me.

BTW, I enjoyed your many helpful comments on the other postings you made, and it does make me want to go back to the Portugues. I've never walked from Porto to the border, only Lisbon-Porto and Valenca-Santiago, and I would really like to do the whole thing in one journey. So I hope that someday I will benefit from the treasure trove of information that you have shared with us. Laurie

Laurie and JW,

Going thru the CSJ guide book and planning my options for a start point. At different stages you highlight "How the distance numbers work."

I find the first two numbers useful:
1. Total number since last recorded location (number of kms walked)

and,

2. Total number of kms walked from Porto.

I find that the third set of numbers (currently a constant) isn't helpful.

Would you consider making the third set = Number of kms remaining to SDC from that specific location?

Always nice to know "how much further Daddy".

Thanks for considering.

Arn

Arn: have you decided where you are starting from? How long do you have in total time? How long do you want to walk each day?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Portia,

I have not made a final decision yet.

I will arrive in the south of Portugal on the 9th, I will be doing work on my book and other research functions. I'm currently scheduled to depart Faro, on or about the 16th. Though I can leave at anytime in between. On the outside, I could take the bus north to my starting place.

I would really like to go to Porto to see the cathedral and walk some of the beach...though I'm not all that hyped for industrial walking.

That said, let's say I left on the 14th for Porto, that gives me ten days to arrive in SDC. That would also necessitate i average 24km a day. Difficult to maintain due to knee situation. So, what about a stop in Porto and then bus/taxi ahead to say, Barcelos and trek forth from there on the morning of the 15th. That would mean an average of 18 km a day, which I think is doable.

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Arn

Genie19 said:
The vast majority who have walked the Camino Frances will hate Lisbon to Porto, but will love Porto to Santiago.

It was the other way round for me, I enjoyed the sections south of Porto a lot more than the ones north of the river, but the southerely ones were cut short by tendonitis. My friend Philip and the 69 year old Irish woman who walked with him from Rabacal had a great time south of the Douro, they have both walked the Frances.

The whole situation with pilgrim albergues is changing, there is least 2 opening next year, Coimbra and Albergaria, there could be more. Since I have started looking at the Portuguese route in the last 9 months there has been a lot of additions to the Pilgrim infrastructure and it is going to continue, even the routes might(will) change, the Fatima groups and Via Lutsitana are trying to open stretches of trail which is in private hands and if this happens it will take out long stretches of road(N3) walking just outside of Lisbon and at other places as well.

I started on the 22 September from a little place called Merceana which is 34km from Azambuja, it is virtually all trail until you hit the N3 at Vila Nova da Raina. It was only signposted this year, and already they have a former schoolhouse converted into pilgrim hostel.

Little routes like this are an alternative to starting in Lisbon, some people may be put off by walking out of a large city and its suburbs.

What all these things indicate is that is becoming more accessible to pilgrims of all ages, means and walking ability.

If we both were to walk this camino again 4/5 years,like someone else to said me, it would probably be completely different.

Mike

Attachments

• DSCF1076.JPG
    DSCF1076.JPG
    310.5 KB · Views: 1,098
  • DSCF1091.JPG
    DSCF1091.JPG
    385.2 KB · Views: 1,096
  • DSCF1116.JPG
    DSCF1116.JPG
    404 KB · Views: 1,096
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Arn, as you know Mary and I will be experiencing the Camino Portugues in 2012, arriving in Lisbon on April 26 - 28 and on to Porto on April 29 and onward to Santiago. Hopefully we will complete this segment by May 13. We have benefited greatly by the knowledge shared on the forum. If we can help with notes or comments, please let me know. Any suggestions as to a hotel in Santiago before we head back to SC?

Don,

There are many to recommend, a long time friend suggests the Hostal Girasol. It's less than a 5 minute walk from the Cathedral. Here's the link:

http://www.hostelbookers.com/hostels/sp ... ela/20313/

I've not stayed there, but I have eaten there. The food is very good and the family that operates it super. It's location and the food are key to the recommendation.

You can use the "hostelbookers.com" link to search out other options.

Arn

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

A piece from La Voz de Galicia commenting on the remarkable growth in numbers walking the Camino Portugues and especially the Coastal variant. The president of the local Amigos association...
Do I need to bring my own pillow & pillow case for albergues?
My friend is currently on the Camino Portuguese - a route that he has walked before and has now seen a number of markings as below. What does the Red Cross out signify?
Hi I start to walk the Central on April 24th from Porto and need to send a suitcase to IVAR in Santiago for storage. Has anyone done this and if so did you use DHL or another courier company and...
Hi, Has anyone stayed in Armenteira recently? I’ve contacted Victor the Taxi to try and reserve a bunk at the Slbuergue de peregrinos. He told me to contact “ Albergue de San Ero de Armenteira”...
Arriving in Valença around noon and I need to get to my hostel in Tui. I would like to conserve my energy and time, so can I take a taxi from Valença Bus station to take me to my hostel in Tui...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back