• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any Updates from Norte?

• Thread starter Former member 92300
  • Start date
F

Former member 92300

I have been looking for updates on how the Camino del Norte is currently and not finding much information. Are there many pilgrims walking now? Are there plenty of beds available in the Albergues? Are most of the municipal albergues open? I see reports that many might not open for a normal season until the months of July/August - but on Gronze I am not seeing that indicated for the most part. It appears that most municipals are open, but are they really? If on trail right now - is there a mix of pilgrims of various nationalities and if yes - are there plenty of English language speakers? (I keep trying to learn Spanish - but is is slow going and not sticking!) I will be in Europe in 3 weeks and still deciding if I should stick to the Frances or go on the Norte. But I can't find enough information on the current Norte situation to know if I want to do it this year or later. I prefer to stay at the municipals/donativos to keep costs down, and while I like to walk alone - I do want to make some friends to hang out with in towns!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I prefer to stay at the municipals/donativos to keep costs down,
Even before Covid, this was less likely on the Norte due to the route it runs and it’s fewer pilgrims. I would imagine post-Covid that it will still be more expensive than the CF, which itself has seen price increases due to inflation, Covid closures, etc.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Even before Covid, this was less likely on the Norte due to the route it runs and it’s fewer pilgrims. I would imagine post-Covid that it will still be more expensive than the CF, which itself has seen price increases due to inflation, Covid closures, etc.
Yeah - I do see there are only a few municipals/donativos. Just wondering if they are open and have spaces. I do know I will have to mix some privates in. And yes - COVID and normal inflation I am expecting higher costs for both routes!

Are there many pilgrims walking now? Are there plenty of beds available in the Albergues? Are most of the municipal albergues open?

I have a friend currently walking and she is in Larrebetzu (about 16 km before Bilbao). She is not reporting crowds or bed crunches. There doesn’t seem to be a need to reserve ahead, though she did have her first few nights reserved. She is not doing that now, though. She is staying in private rooms, but has a list from the forum of albergues with private rooms, which is her preference.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have a friend currently walking and she is in Larrebetzu (about 16 km before Bilbao). She is not reporting crowds or bed crunches. There doesn’t seem to be a need to reserve ahead, though she did have her first few nights reserved. She is not doing that now, though. She is staying in private rooms, but has a list from the forum of albergues with private rooms, which is her preference.
Thank you!

Did Norte last September. Accommodation was relatively easy though appreciate demand will have changed. Certainly first third was easier due lots of holiday towns/ cities on routes, albeit proved higher than albergue/donativos!

I have been looking for updates on how the Camino del Norte is currently and not finding much information. Are there many pilgrims walking now? Are there plenty of beds available in the Albergues? Are most of the municipal albergues open? I see reports that many might not open for a normal season until the months of July/August - but on Gronze I am not seeing that indicated for the most part. It appears that most municipals are open, but are they really? If on trail right now - is there a mix of pilgrims of various nationalities and if yes - are there plenty of English language speakers? (I keep trying to learn Spanish - but is is slow going and not sticking!) I will be in Europe in 3 weeks and still deciding if I should stick to the Frances or go on the Norte. But I can't find enough information on the current Norte situation to know if I want to do it this year or later. I prefer to stay at the municipals/donativos to keep costs down, and while I like to walk alone - I do want to make some friends to hang out with in towns!
I am walking the Norte at the moment and have just arrived in Bolivar . Albergue s are open but everything is full including hotels, Casa Rural etc if you haven’t booked there is no rooms/ beds available .

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I am walking the Norte at the moment and have just arrived in Bolivar
Where are you? 🤔. The only Bolivar, Spain village I know of is nowhere near the Norte. Just curious where the “completo” you are experiencing is at. Buen camino

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I am in Irun today and start walking tomorrow. I will let you know what I see..

Funny, walked right through there last October and totally missed that place name!!! 😂👴🏼 I will say that availability became much better after Bilbao as one leaves the more-touristed areas

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am walking the Norte at the moment and have just arrived in Bolivar . Albergue s are open but everything is full including hotels, Casa Rural etc if you haven’t booked there is no rooms/ beds available .
Thank you, that is definitely what I need to know! How far in advance are you booking?

Read the blog Trepidatious Traveller (magwood). She has just started the Norte.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I am currently walk on the Norte. I am now in Santander.
I think many municipal alb. are starting open. I have reserved lodging earlier from Feb. I have checked with Gronze who does most accurate updates. As soon as I found municipal alb open, I cancelled my private alb and switched to municipal.

From Irun municipal alb. open:
Irun, San Sebastián, Deba, Markina, Laredo, Guemes, Santander.

I stayed donated alb, Grandpar Peuto’s alb last Wed(5/4), there were 37 pilgrimage from 11different countries. They said the previous day, they had 40 pilgrimages.
Along the roads, I met pilgrimages continuously, so I feel safe as a solo woman walker. It looks like and sounds like, people keep coming to the Norte.
I will keep posting with updates as I proceed.

Buen Camino!🙏🏼

I think many municipal alb. are starting open. I have reserved lodging earlier from Feb. I have checked with Gronze who does most accurate updates. As soon as I found municipal alb open, I cancelled my private alb and switched to municipal.

I stayed donated alb, Grandpar Peuto’s alb last Wed(5/4), there were 37 pilgrimage from 11different countries. They said the previous day, they had 40 pilgrimages.
Along the roads, I met pilgrimages continuously, so I feel safe as a solo woman walker. It looks like and sounds like, people keep coming to the Norte.

Buen Camino!🙏🏼
Thank you, this makes me feel better!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thank you for the Information. I am preparing our Camino for June and ist is very helpfull.
Buen Camino!

Curious, are you in the new municipal in Santader. Wondering as I read somewhere about it. I only know the old, cramped one not far from the Cathedral.
The one in San Sebastián is open (at the entrance coming in)? I heard that it has been closed for years. Or maybe you mean the private one way on the other side almost leaving SS?

Thanks for the updates!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Over 50 pilgrims tonight in Güemes. No idea where they all came from. If interested you can follow my blog. Am posting daily and including links to Wikiloc routes taking in coastal alternatives
Thanks! Yes - someone pointed out your blog the other day so I started reading. I will be watching your blog as I decide which route I will ultimately do! Leave for France in 17 days - so getting close to decision time and I go back and forth on which route on an hourly basis lol. Did Frances last year - but there were very few pilgrims before Sarria and not everything was open - so it would be a different experience this year.

Most of municipal alb and hostels are nice and clean as well as Santander. They also provided blanket, so I haven’t use my sleeping bag so far. I am at Comillas and leaving for Colombres today. Alb La Huella del Camino was full yesterday. It’s very nice and clean. Some people cook their dinner here. It’s excellent alb.

There are very few Albergues open on the Camino Del Norte. We started in Irun on the 3rd of May and have found one TODAY in Onton. It has been VERY VERY expensive.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
How much is very very expensive?
I am curious about that too! I am assuming the poster is probably finding privates in the 40-65 Euro amounts in most days which could add up quickly when walking over a month.

For me and my finances it depends on frequency of the "more expensive" places, as to whether or not I can afford them. Prefer to do mostly albergues to keep costs reasonable. I don't mind an occasional private accommodation costing 40-65 Euros - but if I have to do it frequently it will blow through my budget pretty fast. It the moment, I have Ibis reserved in Bayonne which is nearly $100 (but since I am arriving at midnight - don't have much choice - It needs to be a quick walk from the train station and have check in available between midnight and 1 am - which means NO ALBERGUES lol), and I have Utopy hostel in Biarritz reserved (since I don't think I will be able to hike far after arriving at midnight and sleeping until maybe 10/11 since it will be my first night in Europe and I will be exhausted). Then after that - I do have a place reserved before Hendaye which costs $55 (I think all these prices are USD not Euros). But I really need to do some albergues after that!

Anyhow - reading enough people's reports to say I can probably find inexpensive lodging most nights - but then there are the reports that albergues are still closed - so still not sure!

I am curious about that too! I am assuming the poster is probably finding privates in the 40-65 Euro amounts in most days which could add up quickly when walking over a month.

For me and my finances it depends on frequency of the "more expensive" places, as to whether or not I can afford them. Prefer to do mostly albergues to keep costs reasonable. I don't mind an occasional private accommodation costing 40-65 Euros - but if I have to do it frequently it will blow through my budget pretty fast. It the moment, I have Ibis reserved in Bayonne which is nearly $100 (but since I am arriving at midnight - don't have much choice - It needs to be a quick walk from the train station and have check in available between midnight and 1 am - which means NO ALBERGUES lol), and I have Utopy hostel in Biarritz reserved (since I don't think I will be able to hike far after arriving at midnight and sleeping until maybe 10/11 since it will be my first night in Europe and I will be exhausted). Then after that - I do have a place reserved before Hendaye which costs $55 (I think all these prices are USD not Euros). But I really need to do some albergues after that!

Anyhow - reading enough people's reports to say I can probably find inexpensive lodging most nights - but then there are the reports that albergues are still closed - so still not sure!
Hiya!

Out of interest - is there a reason you’re spending three nights in France before starting the Del Norte proper? I’m guessing you’re probably starting your walk in Bayonne rather than Irun?

Only asking because I’m hoping I’ve done the right thing in flying in late in the evening next week, booking one night at a hotel in Bayonne, and then assuming I’ll bus to the border, start walking, and spend the next night in San Sebastián

I have booked the first week on the Norte from Irún (August 2022). I prefer private room with bathroom and I'm averaging between €55 and €100 so far.

For comparison, when I did the CF September 2021 it was averaging €50 to €70 for the same standard of accommodation.

A combination of Spanish holidays and San Sebastian area are undoubtedly boosting the prices in the northeast.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Hiya!

Out of interest - is there a reason you’re spending three nights in France before starting the Del Norte proper? I’m guessing you’re probably starting your walk in Bayonne rather than Irun?

Only asking because I’m hoping I’ve done the right thing in flying in late in the evening next week, booking one night at a hotel in Bayonne, and then assuming I’ll bus to the border, start walking, and spend the next night in San Sebastián
Yes - I am starting in Bayonne. I am flying from Phoenix to Paris and then taking a very late train into Bayonne. Essentially this will take all of 5/24 and 5/25 with that wonderful 9 hour time difference. So - that first night I will be a zombie lol. Last time I did this, the front desk had to call me at noon to ask if I was still checking out and I was in a dead sleep and had no clue I had slept so long! So - I am just expecting that will be the case again. And once I do finally get going - I will need to stop and get my credential stamped at the Cathedral in Bayonne and then pick up my new poles. So - I will simply walk to Biarritz the first day since I will be getting such a late start. And from Bayonne to Irun was a little too far - thus stopping before Hendaye. I figured since I will be in Bayonne, may as well just start there!

Nothing wrong with busing to Irun though - that is the more official start. Bayonne to Irun is normally 2 days extra.

Yes - I am starting in Bayonne. I am flying from Phoenix to Paris and then taking a very late train into Bayonne. Essentially this will take all of 5/24 and 5/25 with that wonderful 9 hour time difference. So - that first night I will be a zombie lol. Last time I did this, the front desk had to call me at noon to ask if I was still checking out and I was in a dead sleep and had no clue I had slept so long! So - I am just expecting that will be the case again. And once I do finally get going - I will need to stop and get my credential stamped at the Cathedral in Bayonne and then pick up my new poles. So - I will simply walk to Biarritz the first day since I will be getting such a late start. And from Bayonne to Irun was a little too far - thus stopping before Hendaye. I figured since I will be in Bayonne, may as well just start there!

Nothing wrong with busing to Irun though - that is the more official start. Bayonne to Irun is normally 2 days extra.
Ah, the dreaded jet lag - that explains it :) Luckily I flew from Australia to London a few weeks ago for a few weeks in the UK. I have a full day of travel to get to Biarritz from where I am now, but at least the jet lag is out of the way.

Essentially this will take all of 5/24 and 5/25 with that wonderful 9 hour time difference.
You probably know this already… Thursday 26th is Ascencion Day and is public holiday in France but not Spain (I just checked! Thought it’ll be both). So post office, banks, small stores etc will be closed. Some shops at railway stations may be opened? Just saying if you want to start walking on 26th, might want to stock up some food the day before if you can.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
You probably know this already… Thursday 26th is Ascencion Day and is public holiday in France but not Spain (I just checked! Thought it’ll be both). So post office, banks, small stores etc will be closed. Some shops at railway stations may be opened? Just saying if you want to start walking on 26th, might want to stock up some food the day before if you can.
Good to know, thanks! Hmmm... could prove difficult then. This would mean shopping in Paris between my plane and train. Maybe I will go ahead and get my poles in Paris.

Buen Camino!🙏🏼
When you get to Asturias, consider stopping at a brand-new donativo albergue in Duesos (just between Ribadesella and Villaviciosa). https://www.facebook.com/alberguedeperegrinosduesos Love the hospitaleros who are pilgrims themselves.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Most read last week in this forum

I walked the Camino Francés in Octobee 2022, from Villafranca del Bierzo to Santiago de Compostela, and loved it. I would like to walk the Camino del Norte as I'm drawn to the coast, culture and...
Hello everyone. I know that pre-booking accommodation has been discussed many, many times, so apologies but I wanted to be quite specific. We are walking from Irún to Bilbao in the first week of...
Hello! I am visiting Northern Spain for the first time this June and would am planning on hiking a small segment of the Camino. I've done a little research and decided to hike between Zarautz and...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.