Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any volunteers to read through the 2018 Invierno guide?

peregrina2000

Staff member
I have made all the changes submitted by the band of forum Invierno pilgrims -- thanks one and all! Especially Charrito (repeat offender), Fares Ismail, Goran Larsson, and MikeJS.

Now I´m wondering if anyone would be willing to read it through carefully for typos and for things that may not be clear. I would greatly appreciate it, since it is always embarrassing to hear about stupid mistakes I´ve made once it´s posted. :eek:

It´s 39 pages long, single spaced. Many thanks! Buen camino, Laurie

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I would not mind Laurie

Send me a pm if you want and I will give you my email address

Davey

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Laurie, since I am hoping to walk the Invierno in April, and have read the current guide I would be willing to read your draft also. If you would like, I can send a PM with my email address.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can take a look at the new guide.

/Göran

Thanks for all the offers. I am happy to send it to you both, just PM with an email address and I'll forward it. But really don't feel obliged, because I've got a couple extra sets of eyes on it already. There's always a chance to do it next year. :D

Thanks for all the offers. I am happy to send it to you both, just PM with an email address and I'll forward it. But really don't feel obliged, because I've got a couple extra sets of eyes on it already. There's always a chance to do it next year. :D
Niemas problemas, looking forward to read the new guide (when released).

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
sneaking a peek at who answered this thread just so I can see who my fellow grammar police are;-)

Well, charrito, I think you deserve a break this year. You can of course read and comment, so I will send it to you ASAP. BTW, I just posted about the closing of As Viñas in Pobra de Brollón. Why don't you take it on? ;)

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Well, charrito, I think you deserve a break this year. You can of course read and comment, so I will send it to you ASAP. BTW, I just posted about the closing of As Viñas in Pobra de Brollón. Why don't you take it on? ;)
OK, I'll take a break! As for taking on As Viñas . . . . . . . . . .

@Charrito taking a break? Can't happen I think ;)
And I'm also too late for the updates. Haven't read it but I'm sure you done a great job, Laurie!!!

I've had a quick look through what you sent me last night, Laurie. I see that you have incorporated most of the things that I wrote after doing my 'mini Invierno' last summer.

I would suggest changing this part slightly:

Day 4 -- Barco to A Rúa (14.2 km)

Day 5 -- A Rúa to Montefurado (9.8). Take the train back to A Rúa, then the next day train back to Montefurado. If you’re up for a 24 km day, you could combine day 4 and 5. Arrive in late morning in A Rúa, rest up a bit, and then walk to Montefurado in the afternoon. There is a train back to A Rúa at 18.08, arriving at 18.17. The morning after, you can then get up slightly later, have a leisurely breakfast, and catch the 10.03 train from A Rúa, get off at Montefurado at 10.12, and continue from there onto Quiroga. No ‘cheating’ involved!

Day 4 – O Barco to A Rúa (14.2 km)/Montefurado (24 km)

One possible way of dealing with the two stages from O Barco to Quiroga (one very short, the other quite long, if you stop overnight in A Rúa) would be to arrive late morning in A Rúa, rest up a bit, and then walk on to Montefurado in the afternoon. There is a train back to A Rúa at 18.08, arriving at 18.17. The morning after, you can then get up slightly later, have a leisurely breakfast, and catch the 10.03 train from A Rúa, get off at Montefurado at 10.12, and continue from there onto Quiroga. No ‘cheating’ involved!

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Thanks, Charrito, that is much clearer. And it is a much more sensible way to do it, rather than stop in A Rua, next day walk the 10 km to Montefurado and then wait all day to get the train back to A Rua. And it also reduces the total by a day, so it's a 13 day walk rather than a 14 day walk.

WEll, I was going to readit at some stage, I might as well read it now... Please send me the latest version whenever it suits you, or else let me know where I could pick it up.

Gracias!!!

WEll, I was going to readit at some stage, I might as well read it now... Please send me the latest version whenever it suits you, or else let me know where I could pick it up.

Gracias!!!
Amancio, I think I will wait till I have incorporated all the changes, because I remember you had mentioned that you might be willing to translate it into Spanish. I'm not sure the Spanish Associations, with their guidebooks, will be enthusiastic about that, but I do think it would be a service to piligrims to have it. Particularly for the "guy in the hut" in Ponferrada. He apparently gives out our English version, so it would be good for him to have a Spanish version, too. What do you think? Laurie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thanks, Charrito, that is much clearer. And it is a much more sensible way to do it, rather than stop in A Rua, next day walk the 10 km to Montefurado and then wait all day to get the train back to A Rua. And it also reduces the total by a day, so it's a 13 day walk rather than a 14 day walk.
@peregrina2000
As I wish to walk this route, I dare to comment, since I do not find @Charrito's comment on the walk to A Rua and Montefurado at all clear. When I saw "/Montefurado (24 km) following "A Rua (14.2 km) it looked like a recommendation for a 38 km day, which is beyond my capacity. Your mention of "10 km" in your response suggests that it is not 38.2 km from O Barco through A Rua to Montefurado, but rather 24.2; I would prefer that this be clearer in whatever text you are going to use in the guide. Of course, it might be perfectly clear in the context, but it wasn't to me. I am seeing the challenge of making an unknown route comprehensible to a first time walker, which is the basic purpose of a guide. Thank you for your work on this.

Amancio, I think I will wait till I have incorporated all the changes, because I remember you had mentioned that you might be willing to translate it into Spanish. I'm not sure the Spanish Associations, with their guidebooks, will be enthusiastic about that, but I do think it would be a service to piligrims to have it. Particularly for the "guy in the hut" in Ponferrada. He apparently gives out our English version, so it would be good for him to have a Spanish version, too. What do you think? Laurie

I will be very happy to proof read it or translate it as needed, I am not doing for money, I feel it is a way to give back, since the Camino has given me so much. The more I research into this Camino, the stronger feeling I have all businesses along its way seem to be working together to promote it, and that is something I have mixed feelings about, there seem to be obvious strong commercial interests in it, and I am not sure I am so excited about that.

If the guy in Ponferrada gives it for free, I have no problem to do it for free, I will be more than happy! Whenever you think it is ready or you have a more "final" version, please let me know, I would like to get a copy of the English version to read and bring along with me at the beginning of June, it seems we will be 8 people doing it together, so I will book accommodation in advance, it is a different way of doing my usually lonely Camino experiences, but it is great to spend 10 days with old friends. Unique!

So, i will be waiting for news from you, first for reading/having the 2018 guide, then we will discuss translation in June (or in person in May in Granada!)

@peregrina2000
As I wish to walk this route, I dare to comment, since I do not find @Charrito's comment on the walk to A Rua and Montefurado at all clear. When I saw "/Montefurado (24 km) following "A Rua (14.2 km) it looked like a recommendation for a 38 km day, which is beyond my capacity. Your mention of "10 km" in your response suggests that it is not 38.2 km from O Barco through A Rua to Montefurado, but rather 24.2; I would prefer that this be clearer in whatever text you are going to use in the guide. Of course, it might be perfectly clear in the context, but it wasn't to me. I am seeing the challenge of making an unknown route comprehensible to a first time walker, which is the basic purpose of a guide. Thank you for your work on this.

Hi, Albertagirl, I think the easiest way to make it clear is to add an "OR" by saying O Barco to A Rua (14) OR Montefurado (24). And I will also put in "and then walk on 10 km to Montefurado". I suppose I don't need to tell people that they can even split that 24 day up into a 14 and a 10, but maybe it isn't obvious from the text. And I do think that when you got to the actual text later on in the guide, it is very clear. This little snippet is just from a list in the front where we have 10 day, aa day, etc suggestions. Thanks for the help, Laurie

I will be very happy to proof read it or translate it as needed, I am not doing for money, I feel it is a way to give back, since the Camino has given me so much. The more I research into this Camino, the stronger feeling I have all businesses along its way seem to be working together to promote it, and that is something I have mixed feelings about, there seem to be obvious strong commercial interests in it, and I am not sure I am so excited about that.

If the guy in Ponferrada gives it for free, I have no problem to do it for free, I will be more than happy! Whenever you think it is ready or you have a more "final" version, please let me know, I would like to get a copy of the English version to read and bring along with me at the beginning of June, it seems we will be 8 people doing it together, so I will book accommodation in advance, it is a different way of doing my usually lonely Camino experiences, but it is great to spend 10 days with old friends. Unique!

So, i will be waiting for news from you, first for reading/having the 2018 guide, then we will discuss translation in June (or in person in May in Granada!)

Hi, Amancio, it will be done in a couple of weeks-- I just got a lot of comments from a very careful reader and want to make sure to get all the corrections in. And yes, we can discuss this in Granada when I walk through -- expect it will be April, since we are leaving Almería on April 14.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back