• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Any wild life safety concerns on the French Way??

I plan to go on my 1st Camino (the French Way) in the last week of May to June of 2020. Watched many YouTube videos and reading the Forum. Being the journey treks through large areas of wilderness, are there any danger with wild life?

Me thinks.....you thinketh too much. ;)

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
This question was asked when I was very green with the Camino planning. In Southern CA, we do have mountain lions and rattlesnakes to be aware of. Also I was attracted by a dog before.
Do enjoy the humor .....

Remember - There are no stupid questions! So, continue to ask away ;-)
BC SY

No, except perhaps for the occational big farm dog, but they are usually quite friendly :)
And speaking of farm dogs - don't let them follow you. They will get far from home. They are usually very friendly. The only one or two I encountered who were not friendly were tied to their dog houses. Scary barks, but safely off the path.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
And speaking of farm dogs - don't let them follow you.
Worse yet is when they lead instead of follow. Wise from experience to the path that pilgrims take they may be in front of you. I had some difficulty getting in front of one so that I could shoo it back. Maybe it's best to refrain from showing affection to loose dogs.

Last edited:
I recall a couple of women walking about 20 ft behind me that clearly thought I was a mean not-animal-friendly person because I kept shooing the dog back. Finally, they caught up to him and showered him with affection - then he continued to walk with them. Far from his home.

Given the puzzle pieces "pilgrim", "wildlife", "danger" the ready sentence reads:
"Pilgrim shouldn't endanger wildlife".

The only bull breeds that I encountered in Spain are Limousin (brown/blond) and Charolais (white) . Both are tame and quiet.
So, no problem with them.
There's definitely also Rubia Gallega breed of cattle. Seemed tame enough, mentioned it just for your info.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I recall a couple of women walking about 20 ft behind me that clearly thought I was a mean not-animal-friendly person because I kept shooing the dog back. Finally, they caught up to him and showered him with affection - then he continued to walk with them. Far from his home.
I believe that I am an 'animal-friendly' person with a genuine fondness for dogs but because of an unfortunate incident with a dog following me on a Camino I also now have to steel myself against displays of affection towards loose dogs to avoid a repeat performance.

Sadly many people are unable to see the difference between compassion and sentimentality where animals are concerned. Sentimentality can be grossly self-indulgent and ultimately harmful. As a teenager I lived in an area where myxomatosis was rife amongst rabbits. One day I spotted a rabbit sitting on a roadside grass verge in the advanced stages of the disease. Near blind and almost incapable of moving. In order to spare it prolonged suffering and possible injury from traffic I picked it up and quickly broke its neck - killing it instantly. A woman driving past screeched to a halt, jumped from her car and began to yell abuse at me and threatened to report me to the local police. I replied that I was more than willing to give her my name and address and held out the dead rabbit with badly deformed eyes for her to take as evidence. Clearly we disagreed on what was the right thing to do in such circumstances.

[QUOTE="MaggieQYogini, post: 798020, member:There is a type of stinging nettle plant that I brushed up against and my whole leg immediately broke out it painful hives, my friends had it on her hands just from touching my leg.

I once saw an otter in Las Herrerias and a deer after Sahagun (photo). In fact there were several deers but by the time I got my camera out only one of them was left.
IMG_2358.JPG

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
There's definitely also Rubia Gallega breed of cattle. Seemed tame enough, mentioned it just for your info.
I took care of Rubia cows when I was a boy 50 years ago. Then, in my parroquia each farm had 6 or 7 cows and there was only one bull in one house for making the service. The bull was always inside the barn.
Now, in my parroquia all the cows are milky, so I don't know very well how they manage in farms with Rubia cows, but I think that there is a lot of artificial insemination.
On my Caminos never saw a Rubia bull outside.

I plan to go on my 1st Camino (the French Way) in the last week of May to June of 2020. Watched many YouTube videos and reading the Forum. Being the journey treks through large areas of wilderness, are there any danger with wild life?
Hi. When walking alone through a Galician forest in July 2016 I distinctly heard the sound of a wild boar snorting or whatever. It had never crossed my mind but now I would certainly review safety precautions.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back