• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Anybody know of a good guide book for the Camino via de la plata?

West Coaster

Zoomer
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances May-June 2015
I'm planning on doing the via de la plata in the spring next year. I've found a number of guide books for sale on the internet but I cannot tell what's inside. I would prefer something with more detailed maps especially the city areas. English is my first choice but if there is something in German or Spanish - I can translate it. Thanks

Cheers

John

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, John,
The issue of German guides has come up recently, take a look here:

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/german-guide-on-the-via-de-la-plata.38671/

If your Spanish is good, I would forego the guide completely and use the online app by Eroski. I walked with only the Eroski instructions in 2010 (before I had a cell phone, so I had printed it out), and it was absolutely complete. Its app is free and just named "Camino".

In the cities, I always find that the tourist office gives much better maps than any guidebook (if you're going to visit the city as a tourist), but the guides have clear enough instructions on how to walk through.

If you are planning on starting earlier than Sevilla, (Almeria, Jaen, Malaga, Granada, etc), there is a good online guide for the camino Mozarabe (and its several branches) that's easy to find on google.

Buen camino, I think you'll love the Vdlp. Laurie

Hi, John,

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/german-guide-on-the-via-de-la-plata.38671/

If your Spanish is good, I would forego the guide completely and use the online app by Eroski. I walked with only the Eroski instructions in 2010 (before I had a cell phone, so I had printed it out), and it was absolutely complete. Its app is free and just named "Camino".

In the cities, I always find that the tourist office gives much better maps than any guidebook (if you're going to visit the city as a tourist), but the guides have clear enough instructions on how to walk through.

If you are planning on starting earlier than Sevilla, (Almeria, Jaen, Malaga, Granada, etc), there is a good online guide for the camino Mozarabe (and its several branches) that's easy to find on google.

Hi Laurie, I've just downloaded the Eroski app as you suggested above. it does look very good. One small issue may be that it appears not to be available offline. Oh and also it gives the number of albergues in every town but the link comes up blank - no listing, must be a glitch I guess.
Richard.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi Laurie, I've just downloaded the Eroski app as you suggested above. it does look very good. One small issue may be that it appears not to be available offline. Oh and also it gives the number of albergues in every town but the link comes up blank - no listing, must be a glitch I guess.
Richard.
Whoops - deleted the app and downloaded it again and voilĂ  - there's the list of albergues.
R.

Richard.

I used the app last year for the Camino Catalan, and was able to use it while offline. And I had no problem finding albergues. Hmm. And just to check that, I just now turned off the wifi on my phone and found I was able to find info on walking, albergues, etc. I do remember that it took a while to load so maybe it was still loading when you tried.

Let me know, because I think it's a very complete app (except that it doesn't have any info on non-albergue accommodations, so if that's your preference, you should supplement with your own list.

Buen camino, Laurie

I used the app last year for the Camino Catalan, and was able to use it while offline. And I had no problem finding albergues. Hmm. And just to check that, I just now turned off the wifi on my phone and found I was able to find info on walking, albergues, etc. I do remember that it took a while to load so maybe it was still loading when you tried.

Let me know, because I think it's a very complete app (except that it doesn't have any info on non-albergue accommodations, so if that's your preference, you should supplement with your own list.

Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie you're quite right, it's available offline, which is a good thing because I will be using it for my VDLP this September. The directions are very clear and there is good information about the local sights. Bit of a stretch for my Spanish vocabulary but it's all good practice.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I'm planning on doing the via de la plata in the spring next year. I've found a number of guide books for sale on the internet but I cannot tell what's inside. I would prefer something with more detailed maps especially the city areas. English is my first choice but if there is something in German or Spanish - I can translate it. Thanks

Cheers

John

John
Via de la Plata by Gerard Kelly 2015 is a good resource. You will find it on ebay or amazon. The 2015 edition is the most up to date. See link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Gui...433296?hash=item4d3ae2f190:g:SikAAOSwT5tWO1RD

Dave

Hi, John,

I agree: Eroski tells you just about anything you need to know and is constantly updated. The only caveat is diversions because of road/rail construction. The Seville tourist office can give you a small guide but it's worse than useless.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
John
Via de la Plata by Gerard Kelly 2015 is a good resource. You will find it on ebay or amazon. The 2015 edition is the most up to date. See link below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Walking-Gui...433296?hash=item4d3ae2f190:g:SikAAOSwT5tWO1RD

Dave
Why ebay? Was that directly from Gerard or via an agent?? I bought one of his other books directly from him (or Amazon) and when I provided an email address he informed me I could buy directly from him. I think if I do return to the VDLP I will use his book combined with the eroski. Cheers for now

Hi!

I know it's a bit late now but for the benefit of anyone reading this in the future, I do not sell my guide on ebay. Somebody must be reselling it there and judging by the cover it's an out of date edition. I only sell it on Amazon. If anyone has bought from ebay please PM me and I can send you a link to download the latest version in PDF format.

Also there's a free version which contains all the information but no maps. You can get to it from here https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/via-de-la-plata-guide.434/

Best wishes
Gerald

I have both. . . Just in case I turn this dream into a plan! Both look good--I'm grateful for the resources and all the effort that went into them--thank you!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
The website of the Amigos from Sevilla has excellent maps (till Canaveral, but more to come), desciptions (in Spanish, but with pictures providing a lot of enthusiasm at home) and regular updates of the list of albergues.

https://viadelaplataelcamino.blogspot.nl/

Whoops - deleted the app and downloaded it again and voilĂ  - there's the list of albergues.
R.
What is the full name of the Eroski App - there seem to be quite a few and a a bit confusing.

What is the full name of the Eroski App - there seem to be quite a few and a a bit confusing.

If you type camino eroski into the search function at the app store, it will come up. It is kind of a teal bluish green color with a schematic scallop shell as the logo. But it is very much out of date, 2.5 years according to what I saw. I think you will get much better information just using their website. http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/

Back