• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anybody starting vdlp from Sevilla 1st May ?

Barbara06

Time of past OR future Camino
Le Puy - Pamplona (2011-14)
VDLP (2015)
Portuguese (2015)
Francigena (2016)
Primitivo (2017)
Anybody starting vdlp from Sevilla 1st May ?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
... or the 2nd of May ?

Hi, Barbara,

Oh, I wish I were, but your post brought back many memories.

Five years ago, I started walking from Sevilla on May 1. http://laurie-ontheviadelaplata.blogspot.pt/2010/05/day-1-sevilla-to-guillena.html
It was an absolutely perfect time to walk. Cool in the mornings, beautiful green and flowering landscape. Andalucia and Extremadura may be harsh and unwelcoming in the summer, but in the spring those parts of Spain are just gorgeous. <perhaps my fondest landscape memory was walking through the large "dehesas" in Extremadura, lots of scrub oak, brooks through the green grass, huge boulders -- wishing the same magical camino for you as well. Buen camino, Laurie

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Thanks a lot Laurie for your reply and for your blog which is interesting to read.
I'm arriving in Sevilla on the 1st May and will start walking on the 2nd. Up till now everything was OK but since 2 days I've become really anxious. I'm so unprepared concerning lack of spanish speaking, feet blisters training, and mostly wondering if I'll find a place to sleep each night, especially as I'm alone. I don't have a real guide book, only a few papers with some little information taken from internet so hope I won't get lost.
In Sevilla I'm staying in Samay Hostel in the old town, not too far from the cathedral. Do you remember from where to start to get out of Sevilla ?
Also hearing about attacks and disapearences has made me even more anxious, and to top it up nobody in the forum has answered as also leaving that same day. Hope I won't be too lonely, Barbara

Thanks a lot Laurie for your reply and for your blog which is interesting to read.
I'm arriving in Sevilla on the 1st May and will start walking on the 2nd. Up till now everything was OK but since 2 days I've become really anxious. I'm so unprepared concerning lack of spanish speaking, feet blisters training, and mostly wondering if I'll find a place to sleep each night, especially as I'm alone. I don't have a real guide book, only a few papers with some little information taken from internet so hope I won't get lost.
In Sevilla I'm staying in Samay Hostel in the old town, not too far from the cathedral. Do you remember from where to start to get out of Sevilla ?
Also hearing about attacks and disapearences has made me even more anxious, and to top it up nobody in the forum has answered as also leaving that same day. Hope I won't be too lonely, Barbara

Try not to worry Barbara. I started alone in 2012 but met my first pilgrims leaving the suburbs of Seville which by the way is a beautiful city.Wish I had another day there. Next time!
Get a city map from your hostel and look for the Puente de Triana which you cross and then follow the arrows to the right.
From the cathedral where you can get a stamp(the evening before)from there look for tiles on the wall or yellow arrows and follow.
I had printed out Laurie's stages and some Eroski and also bought the ring bound guide by the Amigos from a pilgrim who didn't want to carry it.
I also inherited a red German Rother guide.
I expect I would be anxious about that first day due to robbery but I would leave it to Santiago and my guardian angel and just go :)

Try not to worry Barbara. I started alone in 2012 but met my first pilgrims leaving the suburbs of Seville which by the way is a beautiful city.Wish I had another day there. Next time!
Get a city map from your hostel and look for the Puente de Triana which you cross and then follow the arrows to the right.
From the cathedral where you can get a stamp(the evening before)from there look for tiles on the wall or yellow arrows and follow.
I had printed out Laurie's stages and some Eroski and also bought the ring bound guide by the Amigos from a pilgrim who didn't want to carry it.
I also inherited a red German Rother guide.
I expect I would be anxious about that first day due to robbery but I would leave it to Santiago and my guardian angel and just go :)

Just remembered I had Melanie's App VDLP on my phone which I used frequently and no need for Wifi. Excellent!

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

Hi, Barbara, I've walked a camino every year since 2000, and I still get a bit anxious and nervous before I start walking. But once you start walking, one foot in front of the other, all of that stuff just melts away.

I walked without a guidebook as well, if you read Spanish, the Eroski pages are all you need.
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/via-de-la-plata/
http://caminodesantiago.consumer.es/los-caminos-de-santiago/sanabres/

ARrows start right across the street from the Cathedral. You will be walking in prime time for the Vdlp, so I hope that you are able to find company. Buen camino, enjoy this wonderful walk! Laurie

Hey Barbara , I wil start 28 or 29 th of April, maybe we see each other ... grtz Geert from Belgium

Hi Geert, welcome to the forum!
You have replied to an old thread - the OP was walking in 2015 ;).
Buen Camino,
Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Barbara,

Oh, I wish I were, but your post brought back many memories.

Five years ago, I started walking from Sevilla on May 1. http://laurie-ontheviadelaplata.blogspot.pt/2010/05/day-1-sevilla-to-guillena.html
It was an absolutely perfect time to walk. Cool in the mornings, beautiful green and flowering landscape. Andalucia and Extremadura may be harsh and unwelcoming in the summer, but in the spring those parts of Spain are just gorgeous. <perhaps my fondest landscape memory was walking through the large "dehesas" in Extremadura, lots of scrub oak, brooks through the green grass, huge boulders -- wishing the same magical camino for you as well. Buen camino, Laurie
Hi Peregrina and Barbara! Thank you Peregrina for your post (and blog), my husband and I are leaving Seville on April 21/22 and I am concerned about what to expect weather-wise (ie. how much extra to bring) ... you have helped. Barbara, who knows, we might meet up somewhere along the way.... Buen Camino!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Hey Barbara , I wil start 28 or 29 th of April, maybe we see each other ... grtz Geert from Belgium
Hello Vremde and Jean-Claude,
I don't think we will meet because I did it (after my post) in may 2015. It was really great.
Weather wise I had very hot sun all the month of May and no rain, but it varies a lot from one year to the other as in 2016, I heard that in May there was a lot of rain and many floods on the VDLP. Just look at the weather forcast before going and then decide if you need extra warm clothes or not.
Also, when you get towards Salamanca, it is much cooler as you are in altitude.
Have a lovely time, it is really a wonderfull walk.
Barbara

Thanks Barbara... even late (like 2 years late) getting in on this post, I am getting the info I seek....sure hope we have a spring like you did (fingers crossed here) ...but I feel that I am now better prepared, thanks to you. Cheers

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi Barbara I am planning on starting 4 May.
Haha, what a thread! I wonder what Barbara is going to answer you Anita 🤔

Chances are she will though. Like the last time to the similar response. Four years ago.... with a three years gap already....
🙃😉

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
For anyone around Sevilla, next Saturday marks the end of the annual week long fiesta. I have just had a conversation, as I do weekly (to help her with English), with a friend who is from there...
I’m at Almadén de la Plata at the moment, and my options for tomorrow are to go as far as El Real de la Jara (approx 14km) or continue on to Monesterio (approx 34km). 34 km is a bit far for day 4...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back