• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Anybody troubled by heat rash?

Caminomary525

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014)
I am doing conditioning walks to prepare for a Spring 2014 Camino. In the mid-Atlantic USA heat and humidity, I am getting a rash on my ankles and tops of my feet. I think it is prickly heat and seems to be limited to area under my mid weight hiking socks. Anybody else finding this and, more important, any suggestions for dealing with it? Not debilitating but unsightly. (I am sure that my physician's advice would be to stop walking for several hours! Not exactly helpful.)

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Assuming you are wearing wicking liner socks you get the same problem I do. Rubbing a little anti-histamine cream does the trick for me. Good luck.

Spring across northern Spain is not known for it's humidity so don't worry unduly. I sometimes get heat rash around areas that my back-pack belts cover, it all depends on the weather of course. Personally I never walk in the heat if I can help it, and usually I can help it, just occasionally spring and autumn are warmer than I expect but I doubt they ever reach the heat and humidity that you are experiencing. You hve a long time to go yet, I would suggest that you go easy over summer, just short walks if you really feel obliged to walk at all :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I use Gold Bond medicated foot powder (the blue package), widely available in the US. Sprinkle all over the feet and rub it in, then sprinkle some into the liner socks before putting them on.

You might want to consider a hot-weather boot: No Gore-tex liner, and generous use of mesh for improved ventilation.

Try letting your feet breathe more? At your rest halts (ten minutes every hour!) take off your socks and shoes.

Remember that one of the main purposes of the pre-Camino training regime is to work out what your individual body needs, so this is just part of that.

Caminomary:

I have a similar problem on the area covered by my backpack. It is constantly wet with sweat, no matter what the weather, while walking. The best thing I have found is to let it air out as much as possible. Depending on time of year and weather this is easier/more difficult. I just tolerate it and it goes away when I return to a normal life style. If it is bothersome, I recommend you consult a dermatologist for a suave to mitigate. Since it is your feet/ankle area, Vaseline might help.

Ultreya,
Joe

If there is no itch or blistering it may be Capillaritis which I have experienced and I have seen in others on the Camino. It can be caused by a reaction to your socks and the perspiration.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Back