• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD Anyone Caught COVID on the Camino

OBSOLETE COVID THREAD
Status
Not open for further replies.

Amused212

Time of past OR future Camino
2019 CF, 2022 CF, 2022 Finisterre-Muxia
I have seen lots of threads about COVID and I have done a search but have not found where anyone says they caught COVID while walking the Camino. My daughters and I are planning to return to Spain to walk the Camino spring of 2022. In our planning discussions, they asked if anyone has caught COVID while walking. It is likely that someone has but has anyone relayed the experience on this forum? I don't think the answer, either way, will change our planning but we are curious.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I help to run three albergues on the Caminos, we take a very keen interest in this question! Throughout the Covid waves we have seen several cases of Covid discovered among pilgrims, but every one I know of arrived with an active case already in progress. These were duly isolated and sent home. Up til now, NO ONE is known to have caught Covid-19 while walking the Way... every possible precaution has been put in place to keep it that way.
Let's hope we can continue to say so!

I help to run three albergues on the Caminos, we take a very keen interest in this question! Throughout the Covid waves we have seen several cases of Covid discovered among pilgrims, but every one I know of arrived with an active case already in progress. These were duly isolated and sent home. Up til now, NO ONE is known to have caught Covid-19 while walking the Way... every possible precaution has been put in place to keep it that way.
Thanks! So appreciate the efforts the albergues take to keep us all safe. And I hope all pilgrims practice good health safety to help keep everyone they meet safe from COVID. I know this is a fluid situation, but what is your best guess: what protocols do you think will be in place this spring? Will there be a reduced capacity?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Can you clarify for us? You are in Moratinos... not typically a starting point... so if people *arrived* there, would they not then have logically contracted COV from some earlier point?
Point of discovery is not necessarily point of infection. And as infection does not necessarily result in active disease, it could be easily the case that a person would walk for 3-4 days without testing positive (waiting for load to register). Until the load registers, data up to Delta tell us that the risk of infecting others is very small, so such a pilgrim would not be a silent spreader -- but definitely "time to isolate and then go home" at point of pos test.

Anyway, it just seems like I'm either not understanding where the people were tested (not necessarily at your albergue in spite of "we have seen several cases") as *perhaps* you meant "as hospitaleros collectively across all months on the Frances have seen a total of several cases"... but I'm just not sure. That would be a large extrapolation on my part.

The rest (the 'how far into the trip', and the 'under what conditions are people being tested' etc) of the questions need filling in a little, if you are able. Only in that manner can we know that they did not contract the virus while walking. After all: to enter Spain and Portugal pilgrims had to take PCR tests to board planes -- except those to/from UK and that has been timing specific. So that means that any pilgrim arriving to test pos on the trail is nearly certain to have acquired that infection after boarding the flight to the camino.

Last edited by a moderator:
Your premise is skewed. Not many Spaniards, or Spanish residents, start their Camino via an international airport. Many Europeans can easily travel to Spain without encountering sanitary border controls and it’s a reasonable supposition that many have. Indeed we’ve experienced enough plonkers posting on here advocating such evasion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Your premise is skewed. Not many Spaniards, or Spanish residents, start their Camino via an international airport. Many Europeans can easily travel to Spain without encountering sanitary border controls and it’s a reasonable supposition that many have. Indeed we’ve experienced enough plonkers posting on here advocating such evasion.
Exactly. The majority of pilgrims in 2021 were Spanish.

Pilgrim's Office statistics

Last edited:
Exactly. The majority of pilgrims in 2021 were Spanish.
I just looked at the statistics for the past month. Unsurprising that pilgrims recorded are overwhelmingly from Spain and Portugal whose travel has been less closely restricted. Very few arrived from outside mainland Europe. I think that being an English-language forum sometimes skews our perceptions of the Caminos and our fellow pilgrims. "Fog In Channel: Continent Cut Off!" :)

Screenshot_2021-12-29-18-00-48-866.jpg

Interesting question indeed... Camino routes are across the whole country of Spain, so the incidence of catching COVID-19 when walking the particular Camino can not be very different from the one reported for the given area upon given time, assuming one entered the walk tested negative.
But does this really matter? The only number what I would care is the protection extent by 2x regular vaccine + a booster by next spring. It is rather unpredictable at the moment, since current omicron strain is not the last plague expecting us, IMHO.

so if people *arrived* there, would they not then have logically contracted COV while walking from some earlier point?
Put peregrinos "camino de Santiago" Covid into Google News and you will find a number of articles in the Spanish press, mostly from the summer when the number of people walking was high. The cases that made it into the regional or national news usually concerned groups of pilgrims who had travelled together and had arrived as a group at their starting point, groups of 8, 22, even 52 in one case. They had arrived from Mallorca, Madrid, and other Spanish towns. People get infected when they are in contact and interact with other infected people. There is nothing Camino specific about it.

Last edited:
Put peregrinos "camino de Santiago" Covid into Google News and you will find a number of articles in the Spanish press, mostly from the summer when the number of people walking was high. The cases that made it into the regional or national news usually concerned groups of pilgrims who had travelled together and had arrived as a group at their starting point, groups of 8, 22, even 52 in one case. They had arrived from Mallorca, Madrid, and other Spanish towns. People get infected when they are in contact and interact with other infected people. There is nothing Camino specific about it.
Precisely. Nothing Camino-specific about it... was kind of my point -- that when people are in transit from one place to another and test positive mid-way, that it has to have been brewing through contacts with others.
Perhaps I interpreted the OP very broadly to think of "while walking" as "while in transit" -- which is all we are when we are out there: in transit... all the time. But that surely that must mean that the person who tests positive *today* in location "x" on camino (but you can subsitute any location) had to have come into contact with the virus within 72 hours.

I have seen lots of threads about COVID and I have done a search but have not found where anyone says they caught COVID while walking the Camino. My daughters and I are planning to return to Spain to walk the Camino spring of 2022. In our planning discussions, they asked if anyone has caught COVID while walking. It is likely that someone has but has anyone relayed the experience on this forum? I don't think the answer, either way, will change our planning but we are curious.

Seriously you might as well ask if anyone has contracted covid in Spain whilst playing the banjo. It’s a numbers game based on proximity, frequency and duration of personal contact.

It is highly improbable that nobody has become infected whilst on Camino given the current and recent overall number of cases; but the activity is wholly irrelevant.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We know that the current omicron variant is much more contagious than the Delta so not sure how data regarding past Delta infections on the Camino can be extrapolated to predict omnicron or other variant infections in current/ future circumstances. There are too many variables at play including effectiveness of latest/future boosters. It may be Better to assess what is happening around the time you want to go based upon timely statistics and live camino reports.

I have booked a ticket for Madrid in May but my greatest trouble would be what happens in Spain May 2022. Would it be safe to go to Spain? What would happen if I , though with 3 shots , get sick in Spain.
Having the experience of getting stocked,in a foreign country for weeks with a very sick husband in hospital recently does not encourage me to start on a camino theese days.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
There is much information and misinformation, opinion and speculation regarding what may be next week - let alone in coming months. I don’t mean on this forum, but generally.

We are also planning to travel (from Australia) to Europe and walk a Camino in a few months’ time. We expect the situation to change - more than once and for better or worse between now and then - so we will make the final decision closer to the time.

We also expect we will at some stage catch Omicron or other of the covid variants (either here at home or while travelling) - so we will take the precautions we can for ourselves and others - vaccinations, booster, face masks, hand hygiene, distancing, private accommodation, carrying RATs etc - to minimise the consequences.

Regarding catching Covid on the Camino - It stands to reason that days spent walking on a Camino path are likely to be less risky than days spent walking sightseeing shopping and taking transport in your local town - or in Madrid, Barcelona, Paris etc. But who knows …

In the end it’s a question of risk assessment - level of risk to yourselves and others that you think is reasonable. And having a contingency plan or at least an idea of one. What can I do if I get sick, test positive, have to isolate, change my plans - do I have the flexibility, money, language to make that manageable.

We are remaining optimistic that we will travel and walk as planned. We’ll see 😎

I walked the Camino Frances from Sept 22 to October 27, 2021. I did not see or experience anyone with Covid or displaying any signs of illness the entire time. Sunshine, exercise, positive energy and an open spirit on the Camino is better than being stagnant at home. My outlook is to take all necessary precautions and live life to the fullest. You only have one physical life in this world, live, experience & love.

I am with Rebekah, if you take extra extra care on travelling (an N95 mask, I also use a foldable plastic shield on top) and are carefull not stay inside in an unventilated space with many people, also considering the many safety measures taken by the hospitaleros, you should be just as safe or safer on the Camino compared to home, if you are fully vaccinated/boostered. A risk remains of course, but I have checked my insurance company on providing cover for quarantaine, just in case. Carry a few antigen test, repackaged they weigh just a few grams.

Best regards from the Camino Frances at the Itero de la Vega albergue right now🌞.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
.... you should be just as safe or safer on the Camino compared to home, if you are fully vaccinated/boostered ...
I appreciate your effort to prevent virus spreading, but the statement above is highly misleading. Any travel during pandemics increase viral propagation and infection probality. If the governments could they would ban the recreational travel completely. Thanks goodness they can not afford such restrictions yet.
In general, taking risks is highly personal matter, so no one can really advice on this.
But remember that the probability to get killed in a traffic accident when driving to the airport is much higher than the one to die in an airplane crash ... so Buen Camino and Happy New Year 2022!

My husband and I are experiencing Covid at home right now, and it is clear to me that this could happen anywhere. My brother arrived from Los Angelos Tuesday before Christmas with a cold. I insisted on a PCR test that day which came back positive two days later. We tried to isolate him to our basement, use N95 masks, etc, but this current variant is so highly transmissible it is difficult to quarantine in the same home. I can think of all kinds of coulda, woulda, shoulda actions we could have taken. My husband tested positive 3 days later and I started having symptoms yesterday. Everybody involved has been twice vaccinated and boosted. We are not very sick, but even cold symptoms like cough and sore throat and the highly transmission rate of this variant would be a two-week inconvenience on the camino.
We're booked for May 2022. My hope is we will be further protected, but that's only hope, no hard data yet. Before my own Covid experience, I was already willing to go anyway, just knowing that the above scenario can happen at any time and you have to be prepared to deal with it (mostly in terms of time and money) to take care of yourself and isolate from other people while you are contagious.

Bottom line is you just have to make the best decision closer to the time you are going and travel with a back-up plan.

My husband and I are experiencing Covid at home right now, and it is clear to me that this could happen anywhere. My brother arrived from Los Angelos Tuesday before Christmas with a cold. I insisted on a PCR test that day which came back positive two days later. We tried to isolate him to our basement, use N95 masks, etc, but this current variant is so highly transmissible it is difficult to quarantine in the same home. I can think of all kinds of coulda, woulda, shoulda actions we could have taken. My husband tested positive 3 days later and I started having symptoms yesterday. Everybody involved has been twice vaccinated and boosted. We are not very sick, but even cold symptoms like cough and sore throat and the highly transmission rate of this variant would be a two-week inconvenience on the camino.
We're booked for May 2022. My hope is we will be further protected, but that's only hope, no hard data yet. Before my own Covid experience, I was already willing to go anyway, just knowing that the above scenario can happen at any time and you have to be prepared to deal with it (mostly in terms of time and money) to take care of yourself and isolate from other people while you are contagious.

Bottom line is you just have to make the best decision closer to the time you are going and travel with a back-up plan.
Oh no, hope you will soon be feeling better.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Yes, very high in my mind as I plan my trip! I’m travelling from NZ and as part of my “risk assessment” am wondering what happens if I get COVID on the Camino. Will an albergue put me up while I get better???

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Yes, very high in my mind as I plan my trip! I’m travelling from NZ and as part of my “risk assessment” am wondering what happens if I get COVID on the Camino. Will an albergue put me up while I get better???
In a shared space in an albergue? I think not. You would need to find a private room to quarantine in.
If you should test positive in Galicia you can take advantage of the free Covid insurance that Galicia offers which provides:
  • Medical, surgical, pharmaceutical and hospitalisation expenses due to COVID-19.
  • Medical repatriation and repatriation in the event of death due to COVID-19.
  • Extended stay on account of COVID-19 quarantine.
More information here

If you should test positive in Galicia you can take advantage of the free Covid insurance that Galicia offers which provides:
Wow, That’s the first I’ve seen about that. That’s really quite something and wrapped up in their tourism campaign to encourage visitors.

Last edited:
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I heard of exactly one case of covid among pilgrims in 2021 (a peregrina ; and in her 50s IIRC) -- though there were IIRC a small number of cases in 2020 ; but still only about 2 to 4, at about the same time as the hard 2020 lockdown.

Where do you get those?
Hi Annie - Here in Australia, you can buy Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) at pharmacies or online (I've done both) - though at the moment they are in short supply - but that will settle I'm sure - a bit like face masks and loo paper in the early days of covid. I imagine in the US you'd also buy from pharmacies and / or online - but I'm not sure. I thought I read something about Joe Biden saying they would made available for free.

In Australia, ATAGI (Australian Technical Advisory Group on Immunisation) has a list of types of RATs and rates them according to 'sensitivity'. I bought ones rated as "very high sensitivity". Maybe you will have a similar system in the US.

On to practical matters - they really do weigh virtually nothing!!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi Annie - Here in Australia, you can buy Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) at pharmacies or online (I've done both) - though at the moment they are in short supply - but that will settle I'm sure - a bit like face masks and loo paper in the early days of covid. I imagine in the US you'd also buy from pharmacies and / or online - but I'm not sure. I thought I read something about Joe Biden saying they would made available for free.
At the moment here in the US the home test kits are near impossible to find. I bought a few a some a couple of months ago "just in case." It may be easier to find the home kits that come with a telehealth component that makes them acceptable for travel requirements.
Here's one source for those kits

And yes, President Biden has ordered 500 million home tests to be distributed for free, and there's also supposed to be a program where you can buy the kits and get reimbursed by insurance, but I don't know if that's gone into effect yet.

At the moment here in the US the home test kits are near impossible to find. I bought a few a some a couple of months ago "just in case
Hi -
Do we know whether the home test kits pick up readings of the omicron variant?
I’m visiting USA west coast right now and wondering whether I need to do more.

Hi -
I don't think that's known for sure. I have read that there have been more false negatives with Omicron, but as usual it's an evolving situation.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I don't think that's known for sure. I have read that there have been more false negatives with Omicron, but as usual it's an evolving situation.
Thankyou @trecile
I’m doing a home test now.. but will book in for a pcr test in the following days regardless. I’m flying from Vegas to visit relatives in Dana Point (flying to Long Beach ) on jan7 and allow time for result - as I’ll stay here if need be.

It seems pointless to buy more home test kits though if omicron is so sneaky and undetectable.

My symptoms feel just like a bacterial infection (sore throat ., cough ,etc ) but do also have sniffly nose … so must rule out covid.

My symptoms feel just like a bacterial infection (sore throat ., cough ,etc ) but do also have sniffly nose
I'm no doctor, but those symptoms sound viral (cold, flu, Covid), not bacterial.
Many people have a secondary bacterial infection after a cold that can lead to bronchitis or sinusitis.

Seriously you might as well ask if anyone has contracted covid in Spain whilst playing the banjo. It’s a numbers game based on proximity, frequency and duration of personal contact.

It is highly improbable that nobody has become infected whilst on Camino given the current and recent overall number of cases; but the activity is wholly irrelevant.
Henrythedog ...by playing a banjo?🤔
Amused212 asks a fair question.
Walking the CF or any Camino route is an extraordinary event over weeks with a change in diet, sometimes inclement weather with swinging temperatures, most pilgrims lose body weight and become fatigued, all of which increase your chance of becoming Ill. As a pilgrim you come into the company of hundreds of other pilgrims (basically strangers) and you may chat with many of them. Outdoors may be less risky but if you join fellow pilgrims over a meal in a cafe or restaurant table, the risk is far higher than most people's nomal lives at home. Picture the closely positioned bunk beds, the showers and toilets, the cooking and general areas of the municipal alburgues. Overnight, you can spend 10 to 12 hours close up to many pilgrims in an alburgue.

Rebekah Scott, I wasn't clear how pilgrims presenting covid symptoms were tested in your alburgue. By lateral flow? Do the alburgues have such kits available? And how do you isolate, in the broom cupboard? Who arranges your food, laundry etc?

Regards

Patrick

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Walked the Camino del Norte from mid September and left first week in November from PNW via Germany back via Germany where I stayed for a week then back home. Met no one with covid and most of the pilgrims were from abroad.

Good to hear these reports - though, understandably, most anecdotes are pre Omicron, which I think was first identified in South Africa at the end of November. Maybe by the time the numbers on the various Camino paths pick up again in the Spring, Omicron will be behind us and any future variants will be less easily transmissible and with ever diminishing health effects - at least in those countries fortunate enough to have readily accessible vaccination programs. Our thoughts go to those who do not have that luxury.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if this time next year threads about Covid are no more than a sobering reminder of the past. Let's hope so. Take care.

I don't have an albergue. I don't test people in my home, nor do we test people in the three albergues I oversee. I do not pretend to be a Covid expert, and I don't see too many of them here, either.
I do, however, know a lot of people in a lot of albergues along the Ways.
The Camino is a small world. I've been here since before Covid arrived, and I usually hear when something happens "down the Way."
My info on infections and outbreaks is utterly anecdotal. Take it or leave it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi -
Living in Alberta Canada. Our Chief Medical Officer said this week if you do a rapid test and you have symptoms and get a positive test, isolate; if you have symptoms and you get a negative rapid test, assume you DO have Omicron and isolate until you have no symptoms or the isolation period required. The tests are not that sensitive. I repeat if you have symptoms you are most likely infected test or not. Not my opinion, just repeating what I heard.

Walked the Camino del Norte from mid September and left first week in November from PNW via Germany back via Germany where I stayed for a week then back home. Met no one with covid and most of the pilgrims were from abroad.
But with respect, how would you know? Individuals could have been infected but presenting as asymptomatic. Or suffering only mild symptoms.

Hi -
They do Annie, but the are not 100% accurate, for any strain of the virus. But still useful. Was so informed by the head of infectious diseases at a major city hospital. By the way, there are a number of manufacturers of the RAT's, so it is wise to choose one that is approved by your national health authority, if you intend to use the result for purposes other than informational (eg. accessing aged-care facilities). However, the PCR test remains the definitive one.

Hi -
It picked up mine :rolleyes:

I tested positive on the 27 December using a home lateral flow test. I have classic omicron symptoms which are more akin to cold symptoms. We were in a busy busy supermarket on the 22 December and I said at the time it felt like a covid Christmas party in there... I was with my son and we both tested positive... although he has no symptoms at all. No one else in our family party ( of 11) had symptoms or caught it... not even my husband who wouldn't isolate from me.

We're back in France now and waiting out our 2 week isolation and hoping for a negative result soon... youngest son was not a happy boy as he had to miss his flight home ( which is how he found out he was also positive).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
The question asked was whether anyone has knowledge of covid cases on the camino. People are pretty much sticking to that topic, but please remember that the forum is not the place to debate whether people should be walkng now. We know there are lots of very strong opinions on both sides of that question, and those discussions always end badly.

The question asked was whether anyone has knowledge of covid cases on the camino. People are pretty much sticking to that topic, but please remember that the forum is not the place to debate whether people should be walkng now. We know there are lots of very strong opinions on both sides of that question, and those discussions always end badly.
Agree with your comments. Debating doesn’t help. I am planning on finishing my Camino del Norte in mid March provided I can get there via whatever route will be available.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thankyou @trecile
I’m doing a home test now.. but will book in for a pcr test in the following days regardless. I’m flying from Vegas to visit relatives in Dana Point (flying to Long Beach ) on jan7 and allow time for result - as I’ll stay here if need be.

It seems pointless to buy more home test kits though if omicron is so sneaky and undetectable.

My symptoms feel just like a bacterial infection (sore throat ., cough ,etc ) but do also have sniffly nose … so must rule out covid.
According to Dr. Fauchi, a PCR test is more reliable than taking one home antigen test. But if you take, an approved (not now recalled test) home test, a couple of times over a couple of days,the results have about the same reliability as the PCR Test.

According to Dr. Fauchi, a PCR test is more reliable than taking one home antigen test. But if you take, an approved (not now recalled test) home test, a couple of times over a couple of days,the results have about the same reliability as the PCR Test.
Yes… and making sure the method for sample acquisition if done properly. (We are volunteers with local testing programmes. We set up the kits and teach people how to use them. Spouse delivers to those unable to purchase them, not connected to people with supply etc. Many people simply don’t self-test with proper technique. Human failure is a big piece of RAT inadequacies.)

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yes… and making sure the method for sample acquisition if done properly. (We are volunteers with local testing programmes. We set up the kits and teach people how to use them. Spouse delivers to those unable to purchase them, not connected to people with supply etc. Many people simply don’t self-test with proper technique. Human failure is a big piece of RAT inadequacies.)
I posted this before but worth repeating. Binax has a good video on how to use their test correctly. I actually made a mistake the first time I didi it and realized the test results would be invalid. So if you can, when you can puchase them, get a few extra.

I posted this before but worth repeating. Binax has a good video on how to use their test correctly. I actually made a mistake the first time I didi it and realized the test results would be invalid. So if you can, when you can puchase them, get a few extra.

I used a Binax test in Santiago — a gift from a departing pilgrim. It was a little stressful, but thanks to the calm souls in Pilgrim House, I got it done. It is a bit complicated to do with a phone, ideally you would have a computer with its greater stability. The internet connection actually was disrupted for a few minutes, but they certified the results anyway!

Two of these tests currently cost $70 US. Plus you have to carry them with you. IMHO, given the ubiquity of labs in Spain, unless you are going to be in a smal/remotel place when testing needs to be done, I think a lab test is easier and cheaper. Spain and Portugal have really upped their covid testing game. In Lisbon, I had a choice of about 8 labs within a 20 minute walk of our hotel.

I used a Binax test in Santiago — a gift from a departing pilgrim. It was a little stressful, but thanks to the calm souls in Pilgrim House, I got it done. It is a bit complicated to do with a phone, ideally you would have a computer with its greater stability. The internet connection actually was disrupted for a few minutes, but they certified the results anyway!

Two of these tests currently cost $70 US. Plus you have to carry them with you. IMHO, given the ubiquity of labs in Spain, unless you are going to be in a smal/remotel place when testing needs to be done, I think a lab test is easier and cheaper. Spain and Portugal have really upped their covid testing game. In Lisbon, I had a choice of about 8 labs within a 20 minute walk of our hotel.
Good to know about the strong surge in capacity for labs all over the place. I know I am to return home via Madrid, but I don’t know yet which route I am walking, or whether I will finish with time for testing in SdC before leaving for Madrid, so I’ve purchased the equivalent “SWITCH” brand of RT-LAMP test kit, with public health certification for the DIY…
And a kit for DS when he does his Portuguese walk too.
when a friend’s recent return trip from the UK was grossly and expensively complicated by a PCR result not arriving in time to board the plane (though friend had booked the PCR for Saturday morning with anMonday evening departure) we realized we did not want to be at the mercy of lab schedules. I am, of course, assuming with some faith that the more limited user population on the certified self-tests will mean that the presence of a virtual nurse is easy to settle.

I'm sure your odds of catching Covid on the Camino are the same as anywhere else. You're highly unlikely to get it while walking outdoors. More likely to get it if you stay in an albergue vs. a private room. More likely to get it if you dine indoors vs. outdoors. It's up to you to decide how much you want to limit your activities to reduce exposure. Unless you stay home locked in a room you won't eliminate the risk.

I'm sure your odds of catching Covid on the Camino are the same as anywhere else. You're highly unlikely to get it while walking outdoors. More likely to get it if you stay in an albergue vs. a private room. More likely to get it if you dine indoors vs. outdoors. It's up to you to decide how much you want to limit your activities to reduce exposure. Unless you stay home locked in a room you won't eliminate the risk.
No worries. If you read my post, we were merely curious. Our decision to go (flights already booked) does not rest on the responses to this post.

€46,-
Status
Not open for further replies.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.