• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Anyone do round trip out of Madrid?

jrm

Hello all,

In planning for a possible camino I am looking first at flights to see what the major chunk of my budget will be. It seems that it is far more economical to fly both in/out of Madrid rather than arrive in Madrid and depart from Santiago.

The schedule will only allow for about two weeks of Camino, so I was figuring on starting in Leon. It appears that a train from Madrid to Leon is rather easy. But what about Santiago to Madrid? Is there a better option that I am not seeing? Thanks!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
At time of writing there are 5 trains daily from Santiago to Madrid.

Ryan Air sells cheap one way tickets from Santiago to Madrid.

There is bus service but that is the slow way and usually involves transfers.

Hello all,

In planning for a possible camino I am looking first at flights to see what the major chunk of my budget will be. It seems that it is far more economical to fly both in/out of Madrid rather than arrive in Madrid and depart from Santiago.

The schedule will only allow for about two weeks of Camino, so I was figuring on starting in Leon. It appears that a train from Madrid to Leon is rather easy. But what about Santiago to Madrid? Is there a better option that I am not seeing? Thanks!

jrm:

It does depend on your home base. That said, I have found it to be the best point of entry from the states for me.

Ultreya,
Joe

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I too have flown into and out of Madrid for my Caminos. From California. I have trained it and planed it from Santiago to Madrid after the walking is done. Currently I prefer the Ryanair option.

THANKS all for the Q&As here! This is my concern too, how to get back to Madrid airport at noon, without having to spend the last night at an expensive airport hotel! That would be and feel so wrong! :rolleyes:

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
THANKS all for the Q&As here! This is my concern too, how to get back to Madrid airport at noon, without having to spend the last night at an expensive airport hotel! That would be and feel so wrong! :rolleyes:

Trenhotel gets to Madrid at about 8AM. You need to allow an hour to get from train to airport by Metro or Cercanius train.

There are lots of hotels in the SOL district. The airport is only an hour away by Metro.

Forget the airport hotel. You are much better off staying in the centre of Madrid and taking the metro or the airport shuttle (runs from Atocha station every 15 to 30 minutes, 24 hours a day and it's only 5Euros). There is also a train direct from the centre to the airport. I once stayed close to the airport and ended up with a big taxi fare as the hotels' shuttle wasn't running. Check out hotels.com or bookingbuddy.com for cheap sleeps in Madrid. I really like the area slightly southwest of Sol as it is close to the Museum triangle and the Atocha station and has great restaurants, cheap hostals and really good links to transport.

Hello all,

Train from Santiago. There is a RENFE office right next to the pilgrim's office in Santiago where we bought our tickets.

We flew in and out of Barajas. In Madrid we stayed at Hotel Europa, they are pilgrim friendly and have a lower rate for us, but it is pricier. However, the location was worth it, Plaza del Sol.

For the final lap, we took the train right there at the station in the Plaza to the airport. It goes directly to T4. If you are leaving from another terminal, there is a free bus you can take to it.

It is bit trickier arriving from Santiago as you have to transfer, but the transfer is included in your ticket. You do have to exchange it at Servicio al Cliente Desk and they will assist you, but be prepared to a feel a bit confused if train stations are new to you.

It all works out in the end :)

¡Buen camino!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We are about to have our last day in Madrid before flying home. Train from Santiago was great. Cercanias train from Atocha to the airport is cheapest (2.25E), fastest and painless.
If you do end up staying in Madrid for a night, you can consider there are worse places to be! But it looks like you have a good option with the 8am arrival.

Thanks so much friends! :)

It's so great to hear about the various options, as I have never been to Spain before, and don't know much about transportation options there yet!

On one hand I think I would like to be near the airport, (meaning somewhere in Madrid), on the morning/day of my flight, to be sure I will make it on time.

On the other hand, if I could take an early train or flight from Santiago directly to Madrid airport, and be sure I was there in good time for my flight (at two o'clock, so I would need to be there at noon, to check in), it would also be nice to avoid the big city, (which I am sure I am not really up to, after walking the Camino). Tough choice! :rolleyes:

The RENFE office right next to the pilgrim's office in Santiago (that you mention Olivia), can they help with the various options? And do they speak English?

Ryanair or Iberia have very cheap flights to Madrid in half the time of a train. If you book with Ryan air you can opt for a 5€ shuttle from Santiago to the airport at time of booking.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The RENFE office right next to the pilgrim's office in Santiago (that you mention Olivia), can they help with the various options? And do they speak English?

Probably not.

It's so great to hear about the various options, as I have never been to Spain before, and don't know much about transportation options there yet!

On one hand I think I would like to be near the airport, (meaning somewhere in Madrid), on the morning/day of my flight, to be sure I will make it on time.

On the other hand, if I could take an early train or flight from Santiago directly to Madrid airport, and be sure I was there in good time for my flight (at two o'clock, so I would need to be there at noon, to check in), it would also be nice to avoid the big city, (which I am sure I am not really up to, after walking the Camino). Tough choice! :rolleyes:

I would like a ticket for the next train to Madrid please.

Quisiera un billete por el proximo tren a Madrid por favor.

I would like a ticket for the Trenhotel to Madrid please.

Quisiera un billete por el Trenhotel a Madrid por favor.

Ullali:

They do speak English at the RENFE office. I would recommend the overnight trenhotel train to Madrid Chamartin . Several sleeping options and an 8:00am arrival. Short trip by Cecanias train from Madrid Chamartin runs every half hour. Plenty of time for a noon flight.

Ryan air is cheap but has a lot of costly rules and you will still require a hotel in Santiago or Madrid with any flight option. The train offers an overnight bed and morning arrival. Sleeping options vary from a shared compartment of four (same sex) to private accommodations.

Hope this helps.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
A friend had two weeks for his Camino. He began in Saint Jean Pied de Port, walked to Roncesvalles, Zubiri, and Pamplona, rode a bus to Leon and walked from there to Astorga, Foncebadon, Ponferrada, Villafranca de Bierzo, O Cebriero, then a bus to Sarria for the final stretch. The walk and the scenery are fantastic in these areas plus there's an excitement and camaraderie among pilgrims starting in Saint Jean Pied de Port that you won't find among those starting in Leon (my husband, daughter, and I began in Saint Jean last May 24 and we walked all the way to Santiago).

We rode Ryan Air from Santiago to Madrid. There is an airport shuttle that costs only 3Euro but be sure to locate the right bus stop a day ahead if you take the early morning flight to Madrid. (hard to get directions at 5:30 a.m. when the people in the streets are drunk) No need to pay Ryan Air 5 Euro for the same Airport Shuttle bus. The Shuttle begins running at 6:00 a.m. and the trip to the airport takes about 30 minutes. Check airline regulations as to carry-on luggage to be sure that you won't need to pay extra for check-in luggage. I got our Ryan Air ticket about 2 and a half months before we used it and the one way cost us less than 26 Euro, cheaper than a train or bus.

Madrid's a clean and very walker friendly city. Even after our Camino, we loved it there as walking east to the Royal Palace and the Cathedral, or walking west to the Prado, Reina Sofia, and El Retiro Park wouldn't take us more than 30 minutes from our Hostel. This means that you might enjoy an overnight stay in Madrid, afterall. Actually, we used Madrid as a base to visit Toledo, Avila, and Segovia.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
WOW!!! Thank you ALL SO much (muchos? LOL) for all your great advice. This is awesome!!!

WOW can you actually get a plane ticket for THAT low a price!? That's amazing!
Sleeping on the train sounds nice too though....hmmmm. Perhaps an afternoon/evening in Madrid? Not sure yet.
Tough choices! :rolleyes: You are all such a big help!!! THANK YOU!!!! :)

I Heard them speaking and advising a young couple in English and they were very helpful. So yes :)

The train ride was lovely! It was our Anniversary so we went first class - thus the nicer hotel in Madrid and such.

Thanks Olivia! I will have a chance then! That IS good to know! :)
I'm so glad you had a lovely trip and anniversary!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi jrm I am flying LA to Madrid then Santiago/Madrid/LA on Iberia the Santiago to Madrid leg cost me an extra $1.74

If you decide to take Ryan, I would take it the day before your connecting flight from Madrid to your final destination. Remember that these flights will probably not be on a connecting ticket so if, for some reason Ryan does not get you to Madrid you still have time to find a way to Madrid before your long flight the next day! If the flight is not connecting and you miss the second flight, you could have to buy a whole new ticket home!

I often do, partly because I don't know where I will finish up, and Madrid is easy to get to from anywhere in Spain.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Unless i'm walking the Frances or Norte I fly return to/from Madrid. Yesterday I decided to book a flight from Santiago to Madrid on my last day with Iberia Express and didn't know until I had paid that it only included hand luggage. Now I have to pay at the airport for my check in backpack. hope that is simple .

Most read last week in this forum

Hi I have a question regarding regulations in French airports on what is allowed to bring as carry on luggage. I have a small lightweight Victorinox SD multitool including a small knife that is...
Hi, we had booked a camino for last September and had to reschedule for this early June. I previously had booked a train from Santiago to Porto to start travel back for our flight home from...
I read that municipal auberges will not accept luggage transferred by courier. Is this correct, if so is there a way around this? I prefer to stay at municipal auberges and carry my backpack since...
Hello, we are a family of 5 travelling from Australia on a 7 week trip of Europe. We are walking the first few stages of CF from SJPdP to Pamplona only. I've been searching the threads for info...
I’m planning to send to Santiago a smaller bag with things I need for the flight, extra days pre/post Camino, and whatever else I decide that I won’t need. I could send it from Roncesvalles...
I am having difficulty finding out how to get to Belorado from Madrid airport. Arriving 6/1 at about 8 a.m. at airport. After customs and baggage claim, it should be about 9:30 a.m. Willing to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back